Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

West Side Story
Almost done the AFI list. Not a big fan of musicals.
How many do you have left? I have 8 left of the 123:

West Side Story
Swing Time
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Dances with Wolves
The Best Years of Our Lives
All Quiet on the Western Front
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Sunrise

Edit: penismightier I can't believe you don't like Harold and Maude - I've watched it 3 times, and it gets funnier every time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Jurgan posted:

Blazing Saddles was probably better (except for its stupid ending)
Haha I think the ending is the best part!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

a radii hike posted:

McCabe & Mrs. Miller - Loved Nashville, haven't really seen anything else by Altman.
Why did you pick this one over MASH?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

Because it's way better. :colbert:
Haha, I'll have to give it a second chance. McCabe definitely didn't do anything for me the first time around, but I love MASH.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

penismightier posted:

The Darjeeling Limited I have never enjoyed a Wes Anderson movie, but I feel obligated to watch them.
You may like this one better than the others. It's got more of a Baumbach tone, full of repressed anger and emotional scars.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

7. La Dolce Vita. Have no idea what this is about at all. I'm not even very sure of who directs it. I hope it's good.
Did you like 8 1/2? La Dolce Vita is directed by the same guy (same dude?), and has a similar attitude. The basic idea is that Fellini grew up near a coastal resort town, and decided to make a movie about his observations of the rich people that came parading through.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Best In Show - Lots of people have said that this movie is hysterical, and I could use a good comedy now.
If you liked Spinal Tap you'll be sure to like this, otherwise...

quote:

Modern Times - I've never seen a silent movie.
...this is a great place to start. You may already know it, but MT was made well into the talkie era, and is pretty much the last wave goodbye to silents.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Finished My Neighbor Totoro earlier this evening. I liked Spirited Away a lot better, but then Totoro seemed more aimed at children and Spirited Away at adults. It was a cute movie, very freaky at times though. Didn't really seem to have a plot. I guess I was just expecting something more. Cute movie though!
I agree with you, I couldn't find anything that really jumped out at me like Mononoke or Spirited Away. I really expected to like it, considering the merchandise for it is everywhere. But I have watched Ponyo like 5 times, so I use that to prove that I'm not a bitter and curmudgeonly critic.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

You listed 19 Films.
It's hard to even tell which one to recommend, because they're all drat good!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I've mostly been lurking this thread, but didn't post a list because I have a massive backlog of must-see films on my Netflix. HOWEVER I decided to finally take the plunge. So here we go, these are alphabetical.

1. Anatomy of a Murder - I liked Laura and The Man with the Golden Arm, and Jimmy Stewart rules.

2. Band of Outsiders - I don't know what this is about, but I like Godard's vant garde approach to just about any topic.

3. Barry Lyndon - One of the three big Kubricks I have yet to check out.

4. Closely Watched Trains - I don't know anything about this.

5. Jules and Jim - I like Truffaut, and people keep telling me to watch this.

6. Kind Hearts and Coronets - I don't know anything about this one either.

7. Pather Panchali - I haven't seen any Satyajit Ray films, but I read once that he influenced Wes Anderson (my favorite!).

8. Solaris - If it's anything like Stalker (one of my favorite movies ever) I'm sure I'll enjoy the heck out of it.

9. The Wages of Fear - I forget where I heard about this, but I think it's got a halfway decent reputation.

10. Wings of Desire - The synopsis sounds really interesting.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

caiman posted:

You forgot to pick for h_double.
I actually haven't seen a single film on his list - you pick!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

h_double posted:

It doesn't matter; pick something that sounds interesting.
I pick Mighty Wind! Because it's probably pretty entertaining. And I'd like to apologize to everyone for this SHAMEFUL derail. :)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Good call on Woman Under the Influence, atheistdeals. I pick Sunrise for you. I just recently watched it, and it's was a treat. In a lot of ways the film bridges the gap between silents and talkies, using a mixture of cinematic techniques that are old and new.

For my assignment, I watched Jules and Jim. It starts off with a flurry of inputs - voiceover, montage, graffiti, stock footage, pictures in a wallet, even a slideshow! The plot then unfolds, revealing a perfect blend of romantic comedy and bittersweet drama. An extremely innovative film from a master of the art. I don't think I have any other Truffaut films on my list, so this may be the last I see of him for a while.

1. Anatomy of a Murder - I liked Preminger's Laura and The Man with the Golden Arm, and Jimmy Stewart rules.

2. Band of Outsiders - I don't know what this is about, but I like Godard's avant garde approach to just about any topic.

3. Barry Lyndon - One of the three big Kubricks I have yet to check out.

4. Closely Watched Trains - I don't know anything about this, but it's on all the big lists.

5. Mulholland Dr - Lynch fascinates me, I've seen Eraserhead, Dune, and Blue Velvet, and they were all extremely creative and unique, weirdness notwithstanding.

6. Kind Hearts and Coronets - I don't know anything about this one either, once again it shows up on various lists of great foreign films.

7. Pather Panchali - I haven't seen any Satyajit Ray films, but I read once that he influenced Wes Anderson (it must be good!).

8. Solaris - If it's anything like Stalker (one of my favorite movies) I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

9. The Wages of Fear - I forget where I heard about this, but it's got a halfway decent reputation, right?

10. Wings of Desire - The synopsis sounds really interesting.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Electronico6 posted:

Yojimbo has been remade several times into westerns, gangster, noir, science fiction, whatever type or genre of film. They all play exactly like Yojimbo.

The town is not really that important, or better you are focusing to literally on the town aspect, and not the bigger picture. The focus is on the human morals and heroism. There are two factions, neither of them good and both compromised of greedy and miserable gits, who start a war but are to scared to actually carry it forward. The only good side of the conflict is that of the main character, who sets out to exterminate both gangs and rid the town(and the world!) of people who are in it only for money and for themselves. Sanjuro doesn't really do anything at random, everything he does has a point and the reasons for him staying are quite apparent, it's because it's the good and right thing to do. His main advantage is that he isn't in it for the money, nor are any of his morals muddled up, Sanjuro is completely selfless and he goes out of his way to set things right, even putting his life on the line to save few people not caught in web of greed and corruption. When evil has been conquered he goes on his merry way, in a fashion that leaves you wondering that the previous events are something of a routine to him. He's a real hero(and a real human being) in all senses of the word. In light of Kurosawa's filmography it's quite the unique character and film, it's probably one of the few where true good triumphs wholly over corruption and greed, and there is the victory of the selfless individual in the face of adversity.
In addition to all this, one of the reasons Sanjuro wins fights so easily is that in a town of gamblers, he's the best gambler of them all. He reads his opponents, knows their weaknesses, keeps his poker face on, and goes all in every time. Because of this, when he loses a hand, he takes it on the nose (literally!). Also, Yojimbo is by far the funniest of the Kurosawas I've seen. Pretty much every character is either an arrogant fool or ridiculously paranoid, and many are both.

Not saying you HAVE to like it Jurgan, just throwing out my 2c. Fistful of Dollars and Miller's Crossing are both pretty similar to Yojimbo's story, and they each emphasize the human suffering a little more, like you were talking about. They all three draw heavily from the Dashiell Hammett short stories Red Harvest and The Glass Key from the 1920s, about detectives navigating a world of corrupt officials, dirty cops, and crooked gangsters.

Edit: Oh, to address your question about the "go hang yourself" - he was talking to the worthless constable right? The dude was a total sycophant, and the town would be better off without him.

fenix down fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 4, 2012

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

h_double posted:

Kate Blanchett is terrific as Katherine Hepburn
I did not know this happens! I want to see it now.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think she's my favorite thing about that movie.
Have you seen Hudsucker Proxy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVWgQkik_nY

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

caiman posted:

Why on earth would the two guests not leave in the first ten minutes of this unpleasant visit? Let alone stay for another, what, 4 hours? The only answer is that the script required them to stay.
I agree that it's a little far-fetched, but weren't the older couple intimidating them into staying? It seemed like the younger couple didn't really have any experience dealing with people, and didn't have the assertiveness to bluntly excuse themselves. It feels like a metaphor, in that a subservient type of mentality would inevitably sentence them to the same fate as the elders - frustrated and angry after a lifetime of mediocrity.

But you are right that everyone is totally pathetic, I can see how it would rub someone the wrong way.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

9. All the President's Men - Love political thriller movies, but somehow have never seen this.
You get this amazing thriller that ends up being twice as suspenseful because it actually happened.

For my assignment, I watched The Wages of Fear. I loved it! The striking photography caught my attention immediately, and the town felt really vibrant and full of activity. The candid and unpredictable characters added a large amount of depth to the atmosphere. And when the action started heating up, it kept the tension high right up to the finish. I don't want to say too much about it, because it's best to know as little as possible going in. Put it on your list if you haven't seen it!

1. Anatomy of a Murder - I like Preminger's Laura and The Man with the Golden Arm, and Jimmy Stewart rules.

2. Band of Outsiders - I don't know what this is about, but I like Godard's avant garde approach to just about any topic.

3. Barry Lyndon - The last big Kubrick I have yet to check out. I know I will like it, what I don't know is why I've put it off for so long.

4. Closely Watched Trains - I'm not sure what it's about, I assume there's a train involved. It's on the Time 100 Movies list so it must be good.

5. Mulholland Dr - Lynch fascinates me, I've seen Eraserhead, Dune, and Blue Velvet, and they were all extremely creative and unique, weirdness notwithstanding.

6. Kind Hearts and Coronets - I don't know anything about this one either, but it does seem to show up frequently in great movies lists.

7. Pather Panchali - I haven't seen any Satyajit Ray films, but I read once that he influenced Wes Anderson, which is a huge draw for me.

8. Solaris - If it's anything like Stalker (one of my favorite movies) I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

9. The Crowd - Supposed to be one of the best silent films. Also directed by a king, but I'm not sure which country he ran.

10. Wings of Desire - The synopsis sounds really promising. Plus, a black and white film made in 1987 really piques my interest.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

I also watched A Woman is a Woman, and I was sadly disappointed. Once again, amazing visuals, but a weak plot with annoying characters. That's not to say there's not great moments, but it also can drag for long stretches. After the initial shock of the editing (which I loved) it starts to become the norm and the story doesn't carry itself too well (at least not for me). It's also a bit sexist, it seemed like Godard was saying women are shameless and just want babies and nothing else. If this was satire and it went over my head, please someone tell me, because it really hurt my opinion of the film and Godard, and I love Breathless.
I don't think anything went over your head, it's an irreverent sex comedy. I disagree that he's saying ALL women want babies, but I did get the vibe that both sides in a relationship can be stubborn and childish, but because women have charms the guy will always lose.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Seaniqua posted:

2.) Citizen Kane. Lauded by so many as one of the best movies ever, I've only ever seen snippets of it. "Rosebud" and the gif of Orson Welles clapping are really the only things I know about this movie.

List of shameless: Seven Samurai (4.5/5), Goodfellas(4/5), Reservoir Dogs(5/5), Yojimbo(3.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4/5), Raging Bull(5/5), Schindler's List (4.5/5)
You are seeing some amazing films as a result of this thread. I pick Citizen Kane for you, with one request - after you watch it, watch it again the next day with the Ebert commentary. I saw it twice without commentary and liked it, but the third time, with Ebert's revealing insights, I was able to better understand why people hail it as the greatest film ever made.

Anyway, for my task, I watched Barry Lyndon, and I definitely wowed. I can't say I'm a huge fan of 18th century costume dramas, but Kubrick knocked another one out of the park with it. It's an extremely beautiful, pristine, graceful, and elegant film. The locations and sets are continually surprising in scope and design. Also I really loved the soundtrack.

1. Anatomy of a Murder - I like Preminger's Laura and The Man with the Golden Arm, and Jimmy Stewart rules.

3. Breaking the Waves - Isn't this Lars von Trier's first film? I like that guy's movies.

4. Closely Watched Trains - I'm not sure what it's about, I assume there's a train involved. It's on the Time 100 Movies list so it must be good.

6. Kind Hearts and Coronets - I don't know anything about this one either, but it does seem to show up frequently in great movies lists.

7. Pather Panchali - I haven't seen any Satyajit Ray films, but I read once that he influenced Wes Anderson, which is a huge draw for me.

9. The Crowd - Supposed to be one of the best silent films. Also directed by a king, but I'm not sure which country he ran.

10. Wings of Desire - The synopsis sounds really promising. Plus, a black and white film made in 1987 really piques my interest.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Toriori posted:

3. The Warriors- I think this looks like a good movie, but just haven't gone out of my way to find it really.
You get a very fun and stylistic adventure film. If you're getting it from Netflix, pick the DVD version, as the blu-ray is the slightly less cool Director's Cut. (also nice pick on Bringing Up Baby)

I watched Mulholland Drive, boy howdy it was ridiculous...ly awesome! A masterpiece of bizarro cinema. It's got all the psycho-noir elements of Blue Velvet, and heaps of interesting strangeness, without going all the way into grotesquery like Eraserhead (which I'm not a fan of). Anyway, good stuff, I couldn't peel my eyes away from the screen.

3. Breaking the Waves - Isn't this Lars von Trier's first film? I like that guy's movies.

5. Beauty and the Beast (1946) - I've seen and loved the cartoon and the ballet, so why haven't I gotten around to this highly-lauded version?

8. Solaris - I like Tarkovsky's Stalker and just about anything sci-fi, it's about time I got around to this.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Brian Fellows posted:

Where are you guys watching Pather Panchali and the other Ray films? I've never been able to find them in years of looking but you guys list it like it's available in Red Box.
Netflix has a bunch of his, but of course they don't have the Apu trilogy.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Bringing Up Baby was pretty good but not great. I think it was a little overshadowed by the purely sublime M. Hulot's Holiday, which I watched last night but Baby got a drew good laughs out of me. Certainly the plotting is entertainingly intricate and Katherine Hepburn is always wonderful but Grant didn't seem to be operating at the top of his game (he's way, way funnier in Arsenic and Old Lace) and there's a huge sag between the loss of Baby and everyone getting arrested. The visual effects used for the leopard are incredibly good, I didn't even notice there were any until they're being chased through the forest by the circus leopard (though there is one shot with a fake leopard that's really silly-looking). I don't really have any intention to return to this, though.

7/10
Aww, I was hoping you'd like it more. I always return to it, for the insane cast of characters up to and including GEORGE, GEORGE, GEORGE!! My favorite scene is probably the leopard on the roof of the psychiatrist's house. But Hulot is amazing, too. I love them both.

edit: oh heck yeah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dTBdhmvjrQ

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Jurgan posted:

Greetings, comrades! Battleship Potemkin is loaded with propaganda (“Kill the Jews” was the only part that really bothered me), but when you get past that it’s pretty dang good.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that statement pretty inflammatory within the context of the film? I thought a bunch of people beat that guy up.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Jurgan posted:

I guess I misread that part- I thought it was claiming Jewish capitalists were responsible for their problems (and certainly there was persecution of Jews in both Czarist Russia and Stalin's Soviet Union, so it didn't seem out of place). I didn't realize the guy who shouted that was the one who got beaten up.
Here's the video of it, along with a weird record scratch for effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8YQL2IYPzM

I'm glad you liked the film though. That section is great, when they are all clenching their fists in proletariat rage.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Electronico6, you get DAY FOR NIGHT! I liked it a lot and I hope you do too.

I watched Pather Panchali, and I was underwhelmed. I've read in many places that it's one of the greatest movies of all time, and I went in expecting to like it, but it didn't wow me. There were a few scenes that I felt were emotionally powerful, however I never really connected with or liked any of the characters. I read that Ray was a fan of Bicycle Thieves and Rashomon, and I much prefer those two films. I do intend to give it another chance someday, but for now I'm pretty ambivalent about the experience. Anyway, give me something else to watch...

5. Beauty and the Beast (1946) - I've seen and loved the cartoon and the ballet, so why haven't I gotten around to this highly-lauded version?

7. Mon Oncle d'Amerique - This is the Mon Oncle without Tati. I heard it's really creative.

8. Solaris - I like Tarkovsky's Stalker and just about anything sci-fi, it's about time I got around to this.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

muuuzo posted:

one title: PI.

Awesome movie about real hacker (not some dumb kid from chan who cant even program or build simple circuit), religion and making money. Who knows, maybe there is pattern, right in front of us...
Hold on. You have to slow down. You're losing it. You have to take a breath. Listen to yourself. You're connecting a computer bug I had with a computer bug you might have had and some religious hogwash. You want to find the number 216 in the world, you will be able to find it everywhere. 216 steps from a mere street corner to your front door. 216 seconds you spend riding on the elevator. When your mind becomes obsessed with anything, you will filter everything else out and find that thing everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Hope you enjoy!

Finished Notorious last night and I have to say I was disappointed. It wasn't very suspenseful to me. As a matter of fact, it seemed just like a normal romance. I was actually startled when it came to end because it seemed so anticlimactic. Just didn't have a Hitchcock feel to me. Eh.

I read more on this movie. On Wikipedia, it's stated as an American Thriller. On the Jacket cover, it's touted as one of Hitchcock's most suspenseful movies. I'd heard it called all that before from other people. But it just isn't. It's a love story. It's a dramatic romance. There is an espionage understory, but that is never very exciting. I think that's why I was so underwhelmed. I went in expecting a thriller and was confused there was nothing but a romance story.
That's alright, I didn't think it was particularly suspenseful or scary either, however the first time I saw it I was extremely impressed with the look and feel. Check it out:
http://faculty.cua.edu/johnsong/hitchcock/pages/stills-notorious/stars.html
http://faculty.cua.edu/johnsong/hitchcock/pages/stills-notorious/pov.html
http://faculty.cua.edu/johnsong/hitchcock/pages/stills-notorious/cellar-2.html
http://faculty.cua.edu/johnsong/hitchcock/pages/stills-notorious/fairytale-1.html

Hitchcock was an absolute genius with the camera, and Notorious is one of his best. I didn't see a screengrab of it, but my favorite shot is a scene where the mother enters the room like a huge shadow of doom. And I'm sure you've read about how the kiss is one of the most famous ever filmed.