Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

caiman posted:

Cailin Rua, you must watch Lawrence of Arabia. You will thank me.

My shameful list:

I'm going to use internet popularity to gauge how ashamed I should feel, I'll work my way down the IMDB list.

12 Angry Men - I almost watched this recently on TCM, but chose not to for some reason.

Once Upon a Time in the West - I love Leone, so there is absolutely no good reason why I haven't seen this yet.

Spirited Away - I must subconsciously avoid anime, because I've seen very few even though I have no outward dislike for them.

Das Boot - this is definitely one of my most shameful because I actually own the loving DVD and still have not seen it.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - This is one pretty far up on my Netflix queue already.

The Bridge on the River Kwai - No idea why I haven't seen this one, especially considering how much I love Lawrence of Arabia.

Life is Beautiful - I know very little about this except it's made by that little hyperactive Italian guy.

Downfall - I've had this one on my netflix queue for a LONG time. Not sure why I keep demoting it.

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

All About Eve - Ditto.

Go watch 12 Angry Men because it is awesome, and most of the other movies are really long or I haven't seen. And hell, I'll put some of them on my list. Honestly, I have no reason that I haven't seen these movies other than, I'm busy doing other stuff or watching other movies.

1. City Lights
2. Cinema paradiso
3. All About Eve
4. Rebecca
5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
6. It Happened One Night
7. The Best Years of Our Lives
8. The Grapes of Wrath
9. Viridiana
10. Le Samourai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

JVO posted:

Watched 12 Angry Men, loved it. Hellbunny, now you too get to watch it, it's fantastic. It's also on youtube right now to make things easier.

Updated List:
1) The Diving Bell And The Butterfly - This one's been near the top of my queue forever, but I always have something bumping it down a slot.
2) American Beauty - While the ending is spoiled, I should still probably see this.
3) Eraserhead - I need to catch up on my David Lynch (I've only seen Blue Velvet )
4) Downfall - Seen far too many stupid youtube videos about this but not the actual film.
5) The Squid And The Whale - Well it's the movie of the month, so...
6) Chinatown - Stumped to why I haven't seen this yet as I've had numerous chances.
7) City Of God - I've seen the first 10 minutes, but then got sidetracked. Someone put me back on track.
8) 12 Angry Men - I've heard this movie mentioned repeatedly lately, so I figure I should see this.
8) One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - No excuse, need to see this.
9) Shakespeare In Love - Decided to go through the best picture winners backwards and pick the first one I haven't seen. Not sure this was a good idea.
9) Rain Man - Continuing on with the best picture winners that I haven't seen.
9) The Deer Hunter - Jumping around the best picture list a bit, but I just realized I've seen Heaven's Gate but not this. What.
10) Terrence Malick - Haven't seen any of his films, pick one and I'll give it a try.

Please watch City of God, sir. It's one of my favorite movies of all time and is relatively flawless.

This is way past due but I finally watched City Lights. My first Chaplin film and really my first silent comedy and I thought it was excellent. Warner Bros. cribbed everything they knew from this stuff, from Chaplin's mannerisms to his coy pseudo-gay flirtation with the other boxer. And speaking of which the boxing scene was brilliant, as were the ending lines. Favorite line though:

Tramp: Be careful how you're driving!
Millionaire (drunk): Am I driving?

Anyway, list!

1. City Lights Blazing Saddles
2. Cinema paradiso
3. All About Eve
4. Rebecca
5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
6. It Happened One Night
7. The Best Years of Our Lives
8. The Grapes of Wrath
9. Viridiana
10. Le Samourai

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
drat Peaceful Anarchy how do you obtain these movies and watch them so quickly?

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

quote:

Arturo Ui The Grapes of Wrath 06/28/10

All right, I'm terrible at this, I just watched the movie today and really enjoyed it, definitely appealed to my generally left-wing sentiments, though the overall philosophy just seemed to be "stop being dicks to your fellow man". The acting by the Joads was good, especially Ma. I did think they probably tried to compress too much from the book into just 2 hours, especially in the first half of the movie.

Marioinblack, I've seen all of your movies but I'm going to recommend my favorite one of those, Saving Private Ryan.

My list:

1. City Lights Blazing Saddles - never really loved Mel Brooks but this one seems popular
2. Cinema paradiso - don't know anything about it other than it's rated quite high on IMDB
3. All About Eve - It's on every best-of list.
4. Rebecca - one of the major Hitch films I haven't seen
5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - I have no idea what this is about, but it sounds intriguingly abstract.
6. It Happened One Night - i would like to see some early Capra.
7. The Best Years of Our Lives - this seems like an unusually dark film for its time period, so that interests me
8. The Grapes of Wrath Stalker - never seen a Tarkovsky film.
9. Viridiana - I have not really enjoyed any Bunuel film i've seen but i'll keep trying him, as a fan of surrealism in general.
10. Le Samourai - has supposedly influenced a lot of movies i enjoy.

Arturo Ui fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 22, 2010

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
Oops..ok...Zandert, watch Fanny and Alexander. I've only managed to see the shorter version; FFD says the long version is superior and I'd believe him about that.

Stalker was an interesting film, though I can't say I enjoyed watching it too much. The sepia photography during the "real world" scenes was very nice to look at, and the question of whether there was anything special about the Zone or if the Stalker invented it to give some meaning to his existence, was an interesting one, though it seems like it was definitively answered in the final scene. I thought most of the scenes within the Zone, though, were undeniably dull.

My list:

1. City Lights Blazing Saddles - never really loved Mel Brooks but this one seems popular
2. Cinema paradiso - don't know anything about it other than it's rated quite high on IMDB
5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - I have no idea what this is about, but it sounds intriguingly abstract.
7. The Best Years of Our Lives - this seems like an unusually dark film for its time period, so that interests me
8. The Grapes of Wrath Stalker Days of Heaven - Badlands is one of my favorite movies. Why not?
9. Viridiana - I have not really enjoyed any Bunuel film i've seen but i'll keep trying him, as a fan of surrealism in general.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
meanmikhail you shall watch The Apartment for I too love Billy Wilder.

Blazing Saddles, I thought was just OK. I didn't like Young Frankenstein much either so I guess I just don't like Brooks. I did appreciate the pioneering racial humor and the constant breaking of the fourth wall, though.

My list:

1. The Holy Mountain - Already have this downloaded and it looks visually amazing.
8. Days of Heaven - Badlands is one of my favorite movies. Why not?

Watched: City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, Stalker, Blazing Saddles

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Out of curiosity, what is it that you disliked about the films? I know Brooks isn't for everyone, but it's comedy. Is it too slapstick? Too ridiculous? The jokes too ribald? I'm genuinely curious as to what turns people off Brooks films.

I don't think it's too slapstick; in fact, one of my biggest laugh-out-loud moments was when Mongo punches out the horse. I think it's more that Brooks tries to pack in too many jokes into his scenes, and probably over half of them fall flat for me. I'd rather see a movie with more quality over quantity. There were also long stretches of the movie where I didn't find anything funny at all (mostly the scenes with Madeleine Kahn...it seemed like her scenes were trying to parody something but I don't know what). Gene Wilder also seemed underutilized, as his character was mostly one joke that wasn't all that funny anyway.

I also agree with the guy above me that a lot of jokes were obvious in that I was saying the punchline to myself before it actually happened, but this might be more due to the huge influence the movie has had over the years.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
Mistletoe Donkey, clear your schedule for the Seven Samurai.

I watched Days of Heaven. At first I was turned off by the somewhat minimalistic storytelling (like the first scene...where Richard Gere's character kills a man for seemingly no reason whatsoever), but I find in the end is more in the style of a Greek tragedy, where the characters are simple archetypes; this perhaps works best when the focus is on the cinematography. It's one of the best-looking films I've seen, and doesn't use cheap effects and unrealistic set-pieces like some other films praised for their visuals. The locust/fire scene was particularly striking and I can't imagine how much of a pain in the rear end that must have been to shoot. I still prefer Badlands for my Malick fix, though.

List:

My list:

1. The Holy Mountain - Already have this downloaded and it looks visually amazing.
8. Germany, Year Zero - I clicked on a random page on TSPTD and saw this and realized I've never seen a Rossellini film.

Watched: City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, Stalker, Blazing Saddles, Days of Heaven

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
picklejars - I'm going to beat Peaceful Anarchy to the punch this time and recommend you Lawrence of Arabia.

I really enjoyed The Best Years of our Lives, especially the acting performances. March & Loy are amazing and Teresa Wright is a delight. A great piece of history that breathes authenticity especially with the casting of an actual wounded veteran as Homer. The ending was a little too pat, but perhaps this was because of the Hays Code, or America was in no mood for seeing depressing cinema at that time.

New list:

My list:

7. High & Low - need more Kurosawa
8. Germany, Year Zero - I clicked on a random page on TSPTD and saw this and realized I've never seen a Rossellini film.

Watched: City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, Stalker, Blazing Saddles, Days of Heaven, The Best Years of our Lives

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

meanmikhail, let's keep the Chaplin going with Modern Times

I've been marinating on Mulholland Drive for a few hours and I think I'm ready to go ahead and watch it again. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Now i want to go back and piece it together. I love movies that are open to interpretation and I think this is my favorite Lynch film. Just a fine, fine piece of film making.

1) The Big Sleep- can't go wrong with Bogart, Bacall, and Howard Hawks
2) The Seventh Seal- gotta start somewhere with Bergman
3) Le Samourai- I'm a novice on French film and this interests me
4) Le Cercle Rouge- same as above
5) The Getaway- i'm finishing up my Steve McQueen list
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Vertigo- tightening up my Hitchcock faults
9) The Godfather 2- watched the first and loved it but never got around to this
10) My Darling Clementine- working my way up to The Searchers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive

Mistletoe Donkey you're watching The Godfather Part 2. I like it even better than the original.

High & Low was an excellent Kurosawa movie. It was very interesting to see Mifune in a modern-day role, and he was excellent, as was the actor who played the lead detective. The police procedural was compelling, though it ran out of steam near the end especially with the over-long scene in the jazz club.

New list:

7. Repulsion - always wanted to see this. Catherine Deneuve.

Watched: City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, Stalker, Blazing Saddles, Days of Heaven, The Best Years of our Lives, High & Low

Arturo Ui fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 2, 2010

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
Spatula City, your homework assignment is watching 8 1/2.

I watched It Happened one Night. I can't say it grabbed me as much as a lot of screwball comedies I've seen -- I understand it was one of the first, but I prefer ones where the dialogue is a little more fast-paced and witty. Still, I understand why it's a classic romantic comedy and Gable is really good.

My list:

New list:

6. The Philadelphia Story - Stewart, Grant & Hepburn, how could it be bad?

Watched: City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, Stalker, Blazing Saddles, Days of Heaven, The Best Years of our Lives, High & Low, It Happened one Night

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

Bown, you get Vertigo. I loved it when I watched it last week.

Dog Day Afternoon is now my favorite Pacino performance. It seem s that now he's almost become a parody of himself at times, but this was him at his best. I didn't know much about it going in, other than it was a bank robbery movie, and wasn't expecting the social overtones running through it. What a fine, fine film.

1) Dracula (Legosi)- haven't seen many of the universal Monsters and I should start
2) Serpico- my last major Pacino work to see
3) 8 1/2- gotta start somewhere with Fellini
4) Fitzcarraldo- starting in on Herzog
5) The Getaway- i'm finishing up my Steve McQueen list
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Singin' In the Rain- it never really piqued my interest but I keep hearing how good it is
9) Double Indemnity- I should have seen this by now
10) She Wore A Yellow Ribbon- working my way up to The Searchers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon

Mistletoe Donkey...I always seem to pick for you and you've liked my picks. I hope you also enjoy Double Indemnity.

Watched: Le Samourai. I think this film had a good combination of an interesting character study, some amazing direction/cinematography, and that je nais se quoi "cool" factor. Jef did seem to be a little inconsistent to me -- alternately being a moron (I can rationalize not killing the piano player...but what about not changing his drat clothes?) and a genius (My pet bird is doing...something. Obviously the apartment's been bugged).

New List:

10. Love & Death - I think I've only seen 4 Woody Allen films. Also, this is Dr Drew's favorite movie.

Watched: City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, Stalker, Blazing Saddles, Days of Heaven, The Best Years of our Lives, High & Low, It Happened one Night, Le Samourai

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
GonzoIsKing, I've only seen the shorter version of Fanny & Alexander -- supposedly the inferior one but I still enjoyed it immensely. Perhaps you can choose this one if you find the TV version too long. Also the proper title of the Tarr film is Werckmeister Harmonies.

Archyduke is exactly right when he said Love & Death is a perfect balance of slapstick and intellectual Woody Allen. I enjoyed looking for the subtle references to Bergman (the references to Dostoevsky novels, not so much -- that conversation was way too artificial) and think there was even a reference to Battleship Potemkin (the soldier who gets shot through his glasses); then, you have some good physical comedy reminiscent of Chaplin. Diane Keaton is also a joy to watch - one of the best and most expressive actresses we have in both comedy and drama.

New List:

10. Man with a Movie Camera - I've been studying Russian culture lately and need to see more of the greats.

Watched: City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, Stalker, Blazing Saddles, Days of Heaven, The Best Years of our Lives, High & Low, It Happened one Night, Le Samourai, Love & Death

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

skipper posted:

Wish I could make a more informed decision; I've only seen two movies on your list. Though to be honest, from what I know about the other movies listed, I don't think that any of them could do it for me like The Shawshank Redemption. That is a really satisfying movie.

As for me, it's a good thing I just watched all the Star Wars movies, so I don't need to feel shame anymore for that. Here's what I haven't seen:

1. The Terminator (or any sequels)
- I never felt that pressured to see it. I already know the important lines. Though I briefly considered watching it when Arnold was elected governor.

2. Apocalypse Now
- I rented it, sat down to watch it, turned it on, watched the opening credits, and thought "Eh, I don't feel like watching this now." Turned it off. It eventually went back to the rental place.

3. The Graduate
- I don't have a good reason for this one. I've wanted to see it for a while, and even more after I got an Alfa Romeo Spider, which everyone tells me is "the car from The Graduate."

4. This is Spinal Tap
- I really liked other Christopher Guest movies (Best in Show, A Mighty Wind). This movie is from the 80's though, and I'm not very drawn to older comedies. Sure, Blazing Saddles made me smile a little, but eh. (I realize I'm talking a ten year difference, but still.)

5. The Return of the King (and the second half of The Two Towers for that matter)
- I fell asleep during the second one. These movies are good, but long.

6. The Passion of the Christ
- Jewish. (Honestly, I just didn't feel the need to watch a horrible, gory martyrdom. Still don't know I need to...)

7. Highlander
- Heard the name a lot, don't really know what it's about.

8. Pretty Woman
- Blaaaaaaaaaahhhh.

9. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
- "A classic for sure. Yeah, I should really get around to seeing that..."

10. Ben-Hur
- (See above ^)

I'm going to give you Apocalypse Now, I think it's the only truly excellent movie on your list.

After a long delay, I watched The Philadelphia Story. Definitely a great film. I thought the characters had a lot more depth than most movies of this era, and the dialogue was witty but subtle. I can't believe the actress who played Hepburn's little sister never really went anywhere, she was great. If there was a flaw it may have had a few too many irrelevant subplots.

New List:

6. Zelig - was looking at more Woody Allen movies and this one sounded the most interesting.
10. Man with a Movie Camera - I've been studying Russian culture lately and need to see more of the greats.

Watched: City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, Stalker, Blazing Saddles, Days of Heaven, The Best Years of our Lives, High & Low, It Happened one Night, Le Samourai, Love & Death, The Philadelphia Story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Jack Does Jihad posted:

What happened here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_and_Forth_%28film%29