Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Steel Helmet for you. I just watched this myself a couple weeks ago and I thought it was terrific.

1. Days of Heaven - Haven't seen much Malick, and this one seems interesting enough.
2. Shoeshine - I really like De Sica.
3. The Trial - A Welles courtroom drama? I don't know why I haven't seen this
4. The Exterminating Angel - I have never seen any Bunuel
5. The 400 Blows - I've yet to see a 'new wave' French movie I actually enjoy watching. Maybe this will change it?
6. Hoop Dreams - This is good I hear?
7. Pickpocket - I like Italian neo-realism , and I'm getting that vibe from this movie?
8. Rio Bravo - I do fancy a good western.
9. Hopscotch - Never heard of this until I stumbled across it on Criterion.
10. What have you done to Solange? - It's been a couple months since watching a giallo..This should be fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Jurgan posted:

Von Braun, random number generator says Satantango.

That's quite an order Von Braun. If you haven't seen Turin Horse, I would recommend seeing how you like that first. I really liked it, but I still found Santantango daunting.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Rated PG-34, enjoy The Elephant Man

I said enjoyed westerns and Rio Bravo wasn't a disappointment. It is certainly one of the better John Wayne westerns I have seen, but I don't think it is quite as good as High Noon. Watching the Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson and John Wayne act together in a movie was a treat in it self. 8.5/10

1. Days of Heaven - Haven't seen much Malick, and this one seems interesting enough.
5. The 400 Blows - I've yet to see a 'new wave' French movie I actually enjoy watching. Maybe this will change it?
6. Hoop Dreams - This is good I hear
7. Pickpocket - I like Italian neo-realism , and I'm getting that vibe from this movie?
8. Stagecoach - Guess this will be my western spot on the list
10. What have you done to Solange? - It's been a couple months since watching a giallo..This should be fixed.

Seen: Rio Bravo 8.5/10

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 28, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

e; I accidentally deleted my review of Days of Heaven from here. Cliff notes version: If you like period pieces, watch it, it's beautiful in every sense of the word.

1. The Naked Kiss -
6. Man Bites Dog - Heard the title on several occasions and the summary sounds interesting enough.

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 31, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Samuel Clemens- You have some good stuff on your list, but I'll say go with Mad Max. It is a good time and seems like it goes by quick. If you enjoy the first one at all, you should follow it with Mad Max 2 (Which I actually liked more). Beyond Thunderdome seems to be pretty iconic too

Hoop Dreams had been on my radar for a while, but as someone that doesn't care for sports the material never sounded very intriguing to me. I can now say I misjudged it and that this documentary encompasses so much more.
The film begins with both men still full of boyish optimism and dreams of making it big in the NBA. Over the next three hours we watch them literally grow into men and the struggles they face along the way. It is remarkable that a documentary that feels so short can convey such an intimate look at inner city life, poverty, the exploitative nature of college sports recruiting and the difficulty of growing up in the middle of all of it. If it would have lasted another 3 hours and followed them through college I would have gladly kept watching. A great documentary.

1. The Naked Kiss -
6. Man Bites Dog - Heard the title on several occasions and the summary sounds interesting enough.

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Chili, don't read any more about it and get yourself a box of tissues, it's Dear Zachary for you.

I literally don't know how to review The Exterminating Angels. I've been thinking about it since I finished it, and I feel there was a lot of things that were going on that I missed. For some reason the mirror on the wall seemed to stick out to me, and I was waiting for it to become involved somehow. Now I'm thinking that it was just me seeing faces in the clouds, so to say. I can already tell this is a movie I will be processing about for a day or two, which earns it a thumbs up from me.

1. I shot Jesse James - The last movie I haven't seen in the Fuller Eclipse boxset
4. Viridiana - Now that I have had a taste for Bunuel, I want more.
7. Letter Never Sent - I caught the first 15 minutes of this and have been meaning to finish it

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 1, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Dmitri Russkie - Metropolis

Hopscotch was all Walter Mathau, without him this movie would have been just another flop. For such a light comedy Ned Beatty's language kind of surprised me. I think they might have lost a good part of there audience by doing that.

1. I shot Jesse James - The last movie I haven't seen in the Fuller Eclipse boxset
7. Letter Never Sent - I caught the first 15 minutes of this and have been meaning to finish it
9. Paris, Texas-

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 3, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Take a break from the usual and (try to) enjoy Begotten . You have some good stuff on your list, TrixRabbi. I see you like Maysles documentaries, have you seen Salesmen? I think it's there best work, and I urge you to see it if you haven't.

friendo55 posted:

This description sounds like me, where I never get real excited to watch a Western, but I'll end up loving it whenever I do.
You nailed it, and Stagecoach was no exception. It may actually be a perfect western. It has everything you expect a western to feature, and does each of them very well, even the love story was touching. I found each character to be interesting in there own way. John Ford has a way of filling the screen with a lot of sky, so you get a sense of just how huge the desert is.

What was up with Hatfield putting the gun to Mrs. Mallory's head during the Indian attack? A mercy killing?Maybe I wasn't paying as close attention I should have been, but that part caught me off guard.

I also watched Letter Never Sent. This is a beautifully shot picture where the director lets nature be the star actor. In every environment you can almost feel what its like to be there.

7. Touch of Evil - This is an actual shameful one.
8. The Wild Bunch - I'm only half way thru AFI's top 10 westerns.
9. Paris, Texas-

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939)

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 5, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I was going to let someone else pick for you this time, but guess I will go again. With that, try The Fly

I shot Jesse James was an ok movie. I think John Ireland did a good job as Robert Ford. It's interesting that Sam Fuller said he wanted to make this movie because he thought Robert Ford did the right thing, although I didn't really get that vibe from watching. Overall it's just not a story I'm too interested in, and unsurprisingly, The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford is better, even though it does make Jesse James into more of a sympathetic character.

In excitement for the new Godzilla I also watched the original, Japanese Godzilla and drat, what a good movie. I always brushed the franchise off as something goofy. The original isn't so at all. Very good.

1. The Pianist - Been on my watchlist for years.
9. Paris, Texas-

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Dr. Caligari - I don't know if you're joking about The Trial being a courtroom drama or not (it's a Kafka adaptation), but enjoy it regardless.

Oh, I thought it was for some reason. Either way, it's freezing cold here and the perfect night to lay back and put on a movie.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

RushJet- Go with Day of the Dead

The Trial isn't something I could really get into. It would be a good double feature with Brazil. There is a lot going on this film and I'm sure people have written pages of analysis on it, unfortunately I'm not one of those people.

3. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrance - David Bowie yo
9. Paris, Texas-

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 12, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

And , as mentioned a few pages back, you should just plan on watching the whole Mad Max trilogy if you are new to all three movies.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

friendo55- There many good films on your list, but just cannot turn down a chance to recommend The Bride of Frankenstein. My daughter and I watch it almost every Halloween

I am not sure what to think of The Wild Bunch. After watching a couple John Wayne westerns before this, it seemed shocking! The train heist seemed to be a turning point, and when things started 'working' in this movie. This is definitely a movie I need to rewatch, as it seems there is so much going on it would take at least 2 viewings to absorb it all.

8. Aliens - Thats right... I've never seen any Alien movie beside the first. :(
9. Paris, Texas-

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I loved Stagecoach (which I also watched on recommendation from this thread).

I also remember a humorous piece of trivia from this movie:

quote:

Asked why, in the climactic chase scene, the Indians didn't simply shoot the horses to stop the stagecoach, director John Ford replied, "Because that would have been the end of the movie."

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Wow, you have some real treats ahead of you, why not go with The Best Years of Our Lives next.

I finally got around to The Pianist. Adrian Brody does an amazing job of portraying a Polish Jew hiding out from the Nazis. I felt the plot was rather 'by-the-numbers', but I have seen a lot of WWII-setting movies. Reading the trivia helped me solidify the authenticity of the events we watch. Overall it was good movie, but I just didn't feel that little bit extra that would have pushed it into greatness.

I also watched Man Bites Dog. This is a movie I remember hearing about my early teens and having some interest in. 15 years later I finally get around to watching it, and I have to say it certainly is different. It came off to me as very manipulative of the viewer, as I would literally laugh out loud at the black humor, only to be genuinely uncomfortable or disgusted 5 minutes later. This would make a good double feature with Funny Games, although I can't say necessarily recommend either.

1. Badlands - I liked Days of Heaven..
6. Eyes without a face -
9. Paris, Texas-

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Zogo- I'll go with 1 of the 3 movies I have even heard of on your list, Late Spring :)

I took a full day to digest Viridiana before attempting to voice my thoughts on it. I have to say that during the film, the vast majority of what was really going on slid under my radar. Not to say it is very subtle, it's just that it took me putting all the pieces together at the end to say A-HAH! And at that point, the whole thing came together to form one of the most pessimist movies I have seen.

The movie starts off with a nun living in a convent who goes to visit her uncle, in what will be her last venture into the 'outside world'. Once she leaves the convent, everything that the nun believed in mocked and destroyed. I've heard this movie described as totally nihilist, and totally humanistic by others. I am not quite sure what to think on that, but it certainly is controversial and even offensive. I can only imagine the kind of reception this had at the time it came out.

Simon of the Desert is still probably the only Bunuel film I would wholly recommend. I'm not really religious, but to watch an undeserving nun have her faith in humanity, or anything at all, be torn down for an hour and half was kind of rough. This is one mean movie.

1. Badlands - I liked Days of Heaven..
4. Easy Rider -
6. Eyes without a face -
9. Paris, Texas-

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Go with Eastern Promises

I just finished Badlands. Martin Sheen has the looks you think women would be attracted to, and craziness in his eyes, he was made for his part in this movie. Sissy Spaceck also did very well playing the part of someone who is firmly a submissive position, and slowly coming to reality. Really good movie, and something about how Malick films and the era makes me nostalgic and sends me back to another time.

The only part that didn't seem to go with the flow of the movie was how the cops treated Kit after they caught him. Unless he is trying to say something about how the media handled murderers at the time, I felt it strange that a guy who was shooting at cops the day before is given special treatment.

I also don't know if it's true or not, but I found this trivia on IMDB amusing:

IMDB posted:

The film's tag line ("In 1959 a lot of people were killing time. Kit and Holly were killing people") inspired the Zodiac Killer (who'd been lying low for some years) to write a letter to the newspaper denouncing their flippant attitude to violence in society by running such an ad.

1. Make Way for Tomorrow - Everything about this movie seems like something I would like
4. Easy Rider -
6. Eyes without a face -
9. Paris, Texas-

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands

e; used spoiler tags just in case

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 11, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

That movie seems to me like the kind of movie someone would say is there favorite to make them look like they know movies, but in reality haven't seen many classic movies. While it was well made, it just seemed rather forgettable, but then again I don't have any special interest in the lead actresses.

I know 'taste' is subjective , and if you are a fan of Davis or Crawford this may be a favorite, but that movie had nothing in it for me that set it above many other 'good' movies.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 14, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Sorry, I don't know most of the movies you listed friendo, but go with Le Doulos since it's been on your list a while

As a horror fan, I felt guilty for not having watched the Alien series. After finishing the second Aliens (and second in the series I have seen), I no longer feel AS guilty, as it seems to me these are action movies that happen to take place on horror sets. I have also never seen any Predator movies, and I am assuming they are the same way?

Sigourney Weaver makes a wonderful lead, of course, and the aliens themselves looks terrific, but besides that everything in the movie just seemed run of the mill and rather predictable. Maybe it's the hair styles and a few other things, but this movie feels quite '1980s'. It very well could just be that my mind associating the two since it is kind of an icon of that decade.

Overall I just don't care for these type of movies, but I am sure they are awesome if you like the two genres meeting.

1. Make Way for Tomorrow - Everything about this movie seems like something I would like
4. Easy Rider -
5. The 400 Blows - I've yet to see a 'new wave' French movie I actually enjoy watching. Maybe this will change it
6. Eyes without a face -
8. La Strada - I hear it referenced a lot.
9. Paris, Texas-

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 17, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Chili posted:

I actually watched both movies as part of this thread.

I don't know, I was really underwhelmed by Aliens, I didn't feel much of any tension and it just came across as dry. Predator felt so fresh to me and the last 30 minutes or so with the One on One stuff was some of the most exciting action I've ever seen.

I feel the same way and I imagine this be because we didn't see these movies when they were new(er). Aliens has been parodied so much I felt that I had already seen the movie without seeing it, where as all I really know about Predator is how he looks and Arnie saying "Get to the choppa".

I'm sure I would have a whole new appreciation if I had seen these movies when they came out

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

There are only a handful of movies which are a '100' with me, and The Passion of Joan of Arc is one of them, so go with that. I would recommend watching it all in one setting and letting yourself become fully immersed in it.. It's really something.

Easy Rider was everything I thought it was going to be, a cool, hippie road movie. Nicholson and Hopper talking UFOs around the campfire was amusing, and not surprisingly, totally believable. Not sure how I felt about the ending, I'm sure it was making a statement, but I'm not sure it was necessary. An ending shot of our protagonists riding off into the sunset (as one would have predicted), would have been fine

Overall a cool movie that I'm sure was a cult hit back in the day. Just speaking on personal tastes, I would pick Two Lane Blacktop over this.

4. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Never seen any Anderson and feel like I need to see what all the ruckus is about.
5. The 400 Blows - I've yet to see a 'new wave' French movie I actually enjoy watching. Maybe this will change it
6. Eyes without a face -
9. Paris, Texas-

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 20, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Of course I have to pick The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

All I knew about Paris, Texas going into it was that it starred Harry Dean Stanton, so I was rather blindsided by this powerful movie. I attempted to 'figure it out' most of the way through, until about half way in when I just let go, which is how it should be viewed.

This movie is emotional in a different way than others, only in that it feels so personal. No matter your walk of life, I think it is bound to appeal to you in someway that makes you reminisce, and maybe even consider current situations.

There is so much to think about here, both on the surface and underneath. This really is an American meditation, and something I am sure to revisit.

3. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrance
4. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Never seen any Anderson and feel like I need to see what all the ruckus is about.
6. Eyes without a face -
9. Gaslight-
10. Nashville

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas,

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 24, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Since it was mentioned, can someone point me to more information about the 4k restoration of The Cabinet of Dr.Caligari that I keep hearing about? Is it available on Blu Ray yet?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Go with The Bicycle Thieves. I spoke earlier of only having a hand full of 'perfect 10s', and this is one of them. Enjoy

I was blown away by The 400 Blows. I have been wary of this movie for a while because I had (so incorrectly) feared it was a pretentious bore-fest. While it is art, it is easily digestible and deep as an ocean. I was glued to the screen the whole time and I wish I could have been a part of a group watch/discussion as artichoke mentioned. Even with the events that play out in the movie, it has a youthful innocence that runs throughout and it's just fantastic.

I feel like I can't finish talking about this movie without mentioning the soundtrack. I am not sure if it is regarded as anything extraordinary , but I thought it was brilliant and really helped submerge me into what I was watching.

5. Young Mr. Lincoln
6. Eyes without a face -
9. Gaslight-
10. Nashville

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows

e- can't find Hypocrites

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 27, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Go with Night and Fog.

I did not care much for Touch of Evil. I don't know I can really point to one thing, but the whole package together was so-so. Maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention, but the story seem unnecessarily complicated at times.

5. Young Mr. Lincoln
6. Eyes without a face -
7. The Fog of War - It's been on my 'to watch' list for a while. I have heard it's good.
9. Gaslight-
10. Nashville

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Heh.. Sorry. I'll try a bit harder :effort:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I know what Tycho was saying, this thread really wouldn't be much if every post was paper thin. I have to admit with some movies , such as Touch of Evil which I watched last, had me a little lost and bored as it went on. To give it a decent review I would really need a second watch, which I'm really not willing to do. I also tend to watch movies late at night, so that when the movie finishes I am eager to get my next film selected and move on with it.

At first I was listing some movies I really didn't want to see, but felt I needed to, which I think is a beginners mistake.

I like this thread and will keep trucking, with more content .

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

TrixRabi- Try Grey Gardens.

So, La Strada. Gelsomina's positiveity just radiates from her, despite her living conditions and situations. It made me think of several people I have known in real life who experienced similar things, but always remained so positive.

It also made me think about how people talk about "the good old days", when many times they were anything but. Overall a great movie that I had underestimated, but also maybe the most realistic love story I have seen.

3. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrance - Know nothing about this, but it is a Criterion release and sounds interesting enough.
4. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Never seen any Anderson, is this a good starting point?
5. Young Mr. Lincoln - I don't know if I have been disappointed by a John Ford movie yet.
6. Eyes without a face - I needed some horror on this list
7. The Fog of War - In the midst of negative reviews of the Donald Rumsfield movie, I heard this one was actually good.
8. Red River - The return of the western slot to my list!
9. Gaslight- Something about movies from the 40's that I love, and this one seems very '40s'.
10.Nashville- Truthfully the trailer has me a little worried about this one..I don't do well with overly complicated movies.

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 20, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Go with your oldest.. Lone Star

About Fog of War.. I have to say McNamara opened up more than I expected, but he is slick. You can tell he is in control of the 'interview' at all times, and like he says toward the end of the movie, "You never answer the question asked to you, you answer the question you want asked of you".

To be a main cog in a machine that has killed 100's of thousands, I just can't comprehend. I mean the cruel things one solider does has led many to take there life, and there 'body counts' are most certainly a fraction of a bombing run.

I noticed McNamara places blame on the president and General Lemay quite often, and compartmentalizes things away. There has to be times when he is alone that he says to himself "What have I done?. And I think we can see this when he acknowledges that he indeed has done things that would classify him as a war criminal.

3. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrance - Know nothing about this, but it is a Criterion release and sounds interesting enough.
4. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Never seen any Anderson, is this a good starting point?
5. Young Mr. Lincoln - I don't know if I have been disappointed by a John Ford movie yet.
7. Fort Apache - I'm stealing this one from TrixRabbi's list
9. Gaslight- Something about movies from the 40's that I love, and this one seems very '40s'.
10.Nashville- Truthfully the trailer has me a little worried about this one..I don't do well with overly complicated movies.

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada, Fog of War

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

zogo- Tae Guk Gi.

Cotten and Bergman gave a terrific performance in Gaslight. Boyer is also great, and seeing a young Angela Lansbury was unexpected. The plot seemed very 'paint by number' and predictable, which seems to be common in these 1940's Gothics'. If I were to have attempted to summarize this movie before seeing it, I think I would have been close to accurate.

The Cotten/Bergman love interest seemed unnecessary and unsure of itself, I have the feeling this relationship didn't exist in the original play.

4. Moonrise Kingdom - Never seen any Anderson, so I think I'll start here
9. Baron Blood- I would like to check-off some more Bava movies

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada, Fog of War, Gaslight

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

marioinblack- City Lights. This seems to be recommended in this thread a lot.. And for a good reason!

It was kind of a different movie, but I was very pleased with Make Way for Tomorrow. The first part was told more from the grown children's side in dealing with what to do with there aging parents. During this time I found myself seeing things from their view, in that we want the best for our parents, but we are only willing to inconvenience ourselves so much for them. The last part is what I found hard-hitting and sent this movie into 'great' territory. The elderly couple spending a night on the town was genuine and touching, without becoming too sappy. The ending couldn't have been better and I'm not surprised to read that the studio didn't like it. I would be lying if I said things didn't get a little misty.

I heard that Tokyo Story is very similar to this movie, so I may add it to my shameful list sometime in the future.

1. M - I added this to my IMDB watchlist almost 3 years ago.
8. Red River - I don't consider myself a fan of Westerns, but I can't say I've seen too many I didn't enjoy
9. The Bird With the Crystal Plumage- Another long time IMDB watchlist resident.
10.Nashville- Truthfully the trailer has me a little worried about this one..

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada, Fog of War, Gaslight, Make Way for Tomorrow

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 8, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

CountFosco posted:

Persona
Yeah, not a huge Godard fan.

Do you mean Bergman?

I have been meaning to put Persona on my list for a while now

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Jurgan- First Blood.

It's getting nice out, which means less movie watching time. Which was one of my problems getting threw M. The other problem seemed to be that this movie really drags in some places. There were several times I had to stop watching for whatever reason, and getting back into it was a chore.

The end was entertaining, but getting there seemed like it took way longer than it needed to. It's a novel historical piece, but it just didn't do much for me.

1. Sunrise (1927) - F.W. Murnau? Okay
8. Red River - I don't consider myself a fan of Westerns, but I can't say I've seen too many I didn't enjoy
9. The Bird With the Crystal Plumage- Another long time IMDB watchlist resident.

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada, Fog of War, Gaslight, Make Way for Tomorrow, M

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 23, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Since you think it's your most shameful, I suppose I'll pick Good Will Hunting

The Bird With the Crystal Plummage will probably become the giallo that I recommend to people wanting to get into the (sub?)genre. It has everything you expect in a giallo; a murder mystery, shadowy characters, a 'gritty' atmosphere and dreamy colors. The story blended thriller and murder mystery together expertly, while staying away from the feeling exploitative and as sleazy as is common with many other giallos. The story was paced about as tight as these films get and the plot was even relatively coherent! The last 10 minutes were excellent and the 'reveal' shot was fantastic.

This genre remains one that I find difficult to love, but frequently rewarding to watch. I think I will dedicate a giallo spot on my list for a while.

1. Cinemania - A documentary about obsessive movie watching. Hmm.
9. Cat O' Nine Tails- Next up in the Argento 'Animal' trilogy

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada, Fog of War, Gaslight, Make Way for Tomorrow, M, The Bird with the Crystal Plummage

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Zogo posted:

#133 Viridiana - I'm assuming Buñuel is going to take another dump on religion here. 5/14/14

A steaming dump at that. I'm not 'that religious', but parts of Viridiana had me almost offended

friendo- My recommendation was going to be Harakiri because it's so drat good, but I see The Searchers has been on your list longer, and it's also really drat good, so go with that.

Nashville had me stuck for a while, but after the first hour I started being absorbed into what was going on. I've often thought that if you took one slice of place and time, say a hotel lobby at 2:30pm on a Tuesday afternoon, and asked everyone there 'story', you would probably have some really interesting material. To me, Nashville kind of did that. But the movie has so many layers I can easily see what I viewed as a drama could be viewed as a statement about politics.

Also, Shelly Duvall is one of those people (like Sissy Spacek), who can look stunning or off-putting by something as minor as what they are wearing and from what angle they are pictured. For most of this movie she was a knock-out, but I've had a crush on her since I was young, so don't judge me to harshly.

1. Cinemania - A documentary about obsessive movie watching. Hmm.
10.Assault on Precinct 13- I...I just saw They Live for the first time in my life this week :ohdear:

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada, Fog of War, Gaslight, Make Way for Tomorrow, M, The Bird with the Crystal Plummage, Nashville

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

artichoke posted:

Also we watched Bicycle Thieves on Friday and I don't recall any other movie that I actually wailed at when it ended. I cry pretty easily during films, heavily about twice a year, but this one I actually fell over on the couch sobbing and moaning. I'd read most people described it as "devastating" and I agree with that. Takes the cake for the saddest movie I've ever watched and I dare you to find me a sadder one. loving perfect movie and I never want to watch it again. 10/10

I thought the same, which is why I braced myself when I watched Umberto D, however it felt like it was off-the-mark to me. It probably sounds silly, but I think the lead actor was not right for the role, he just did not have a very believable sad old guy look or demeanor. I am actually working my way through Miracle in Milan right now (as I was unable to find a copy of Shoeshine). Will update once I finish it.

May I also recommend Make Way for Tomorrow? If you like 'emotional' movies, I would like your thoughts on it.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

TychoCelchuuu-Wages of Fear

I was unable to find Shoeshine in a timely manner, so I went with another De Sica I had not seen, Miracle In Milan. I thought this was 'ok', and I was kind of surprised to read all of the high praise for it. The story was touching, but for some reason (much as like with Umberto D), I didn't connect with the lead character, which kept me from rating it higher than I would have.

There is no denying De Sica is a legendary director, but Bicycle Thieves really was lightning in a bottle.

1. Cinemania - A documentary about obsessive movie watching.
2. Persona - Bergman is a master. Been wanting to watch this one for a while.
10.Assault on Precinct 13- I liked They Live

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada, Fog of War, Gaslight, Make Way for Tomorrow, M, The Bird with the Crystal Plummage, Nashville,Miracle in Milan

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I don't know anything about Swades, but go with that Zogo.

Cinemania was enjoyable in a :unsmith: way. It's easy to feel bad for them, but at the same time they seem like they might very well enjoy day to day life (as much as one could be as 'escaped' from reality as they are). But as with Roberta on the edge of eviction, you can only shut out real life for so long.

I found the characters interesting and wouldn't mind learning more about how they got to be where they are.

1. Gates of Heaven - I've liked what I've seen of Morris so far
2. Persona - Bergman is a master. Been wanting to watch this one for a while.

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada, Fog of War, Gaslight, Make Way for Tomorrow, M, The Bird with the Crystal Plummage, Nashville,Miracle in Milan,Cinemania

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

If I may comment on one of your list entries; Blue Velvet is good, but it's quite a bit different than most other Lynch movies. The first Lynch feature I saw was Twin Peaks, and what I would probably recommend. However if you don't want to invest that much time, you might go with Eraserhead or Lost Highway. I mean, Blue Velvet is fine, just don't dismiss Lynch in the event you don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Stargate- I haven't seen too many Kurosawa, but Rashomon is my favorite so far, so go with that.

Persona was definitely not what I was expecting. Unlike The Seventh Seal, which I thought to be both relatively accessible and genuine 'art film', Persona was a straight up art film. I think it would take several viewings to 'get it' all , but like Stalker (which I watched several weeks ago) I became so lost that I gave up trying to figure it out and ended up watching a movie that seemed to drag.

I should really probably revisit this when I am in the mood and able to give 100% for the entire duration.

1. Videodrome - An actual shameful one, and one that seems to keep popping up everywhere.
2. Pandora's Box - Don't know much about it.

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada, Fog of War, Gaslight, Make Way for Tomorrow, M, The Bird with the Crystal Plummage, Nashville,Miracle in Milan,Cinemania, Persona