Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Jumping in on this because I have much shame.

7 Samurai - I know the plot already but I've been meaning to give Kurosawa a go as I've never seen any of his movies. Seems like a good enough place to start, I just haven't gotten around to it.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I keep hearing good things and whenever I go to watch it something else catches my eye.

Amadeus - I used to work at a video store and I saw this all the time sitting on the shelf, plus I've heard numerous pop culture references to it. Other then that I have no idea what it's about.

There Will Be Blood - Heard about it when it came out, seen it mentioned around here a lot. No excuse.

Magnolia - Heard the title thrown around a bunch, but I don't know anything about it. I hear it's good, I dunno.

LA Confidential - Seen it on the shelf, know nothing about it.

Das Boot - I've always wanted to give this a go, but same deal as #2.

Network - Started watching it, then got propositioned for sex. Guess which won.

Rocky - Boxing never interested me but I know that's not an excuse. :(

The Elephant Man - Only ever heard it referenced in pop culture. Don't know anything else about it.

uncle jimbo I'm torn between giving you The Usual Suspects and Eternal Sunshine, but I think I'm going to go with Eternal Sunshine On the Spotless Mind. It's a great movie with some of the strongest acting I've ever seen Jim Carey produce.

VVV Exactly

Saganlives fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

TonTon posted:

Kyle Hyde, watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I'm definitely not a fan of Jack Nicholson, but this is definitely one of my absolute favourite movies of all time. By turns gutwrenching and hilarious, it isn't afraid to pull any punches or blunt its message. It's also fun to see a very young Danny Devito, Christopher Lloyd, and li'l baby Brad Dourif. :3: And it looks amazing on Bluray, if you have one!

I just finished Silence of the Lambs. My god, I am sorry I didn't see it sooner - not only is Anthony Hopkins disturbingly sultry as Lecter, but Jodie Foster plays a powerful female lead against him. She's as compelling and as strong a character as he is, although I can see why he captured the public psyche. As for Buffalo Bill, I found him pitiable despite his crimes, and I can definitely see the influence Ed Gein had on his profile. I have to ask, though; in the scene where Lecter fakes being the mutilated cop to escape (which blew my mind; totally wasn't expecting that), wouldn't having a grand mal seizure gently caress his plans up? Or did he just fake it?

I was under the impression he was faking it to get out of the crime scene without having to speak.

Anyway, Nicholson here we come!

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Just finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and I liked it. I wouldn't say it's going to come to mind when someone asks what my favorite movies are, but it was enjoyable. I really dug seeing young versions of all those actors. I didn't even know anyone noteworthy was in it beyond Jack, and I find it really interesting to see Brad Dourif going from that to something like Deadwood many years later.

Updated list:

Kyle Hyde posted:

7 Samurai - I know the plot already but I've been meaning to give Kurosawa a go as I've never seen any of his movies. Seems like a good enough place to start, I just haven't gotten around to it.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

The Exorcist - It's a movie that's been commented on and parodied to death, I guess I just never felt the drive to actually go to the source.

Amadeus - I used to work at a video store and I saw this all the time sitting on the shelf, plus I've heard numerous pop culture references to it. Other then that I have no idea what it's about.

There Will Be Blood - Heard about it when it came out, seen it mentioned around here a lot. No excuse.

Magnolia - Heard the title thrown around a bunch, but I don't know anything about it. I hear it's good, I dunno.

Rocky - Boxing never interested me but I know that's not an excuse. :(

The Elephant Man - Only ever heard it referenced in pop culture. Don't know anything else about it.

Robert_Deadford I command thee, watch Pan's Labyrinth. It wasn't at all what I was expecting, and I was pretty blown away at some of the brutality and, of course, beauty of a lot of it.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Just finished Rocky, and I felt like it built a little slow. And drat, Rocky was a creeper to Adrian the first time she was in his apartment. Anyway, despite the slow build the climax was worth the wait. The fight with Apollo Creed was intense, even with Rocky's "get punched in the face a lot until you can get one good punch in" strategy.

Aaaand, updated list:

Kyle Hyde posted:

The Exorcist - It's a movie that's been commented on and parodied to death, I guess I just never felt the drive to actually go to the source.

Rocky

Amelie - All my friends keep telling me to watch it. No excuse.

Peaceful Anarchy, I have seen none of the films you listed so I'm going to give you Lolita simply because it's the only one I've even heard of. (This probably makes me a bad person.)

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Just finished There Will Be Blood and wow. That movie got really intense really fast, and naturally Daniel Day-Lewis loving knocks it out of the park. I was really impressed by it, and dug the grittiness. My only complaint is that the score felt out of place in certain spots, frantic strings when nothing's really happening. I understood the rationale behind it, but I feel like something a little more low-key would have been better.

Updated list:

Kyle Hyde posted:

There Will Be Blood

Zardoz - It just looks so bad, but at the same time I feel like I need to see it because of how bad it seems.

Rocky

Amelie - All my friends keep telling me to watch it. No excuse.

Hellbunny, Dr. Strangelove shouldn't be that hard to find. Netflix has it, as well as any video store worth their salt. So you get that. It's hilarious.

If, for whatever reason, you live in the Arctic circle or something and absolutely can't get a copy then you get Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.