Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Arkane: watch Aguirre

As for my list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime

The Piano Teacher - I love the Haneke films I've seen (Cache and White Ribbon and I even liked both Funny Games)

Z - Been meaning to see this one for quite a while

Fitzcarraldo - Working my way through Herzog and haven't gotten to this one yet.

Downfall - This one's supposed to be pretty good and I've seen a couple of other Hirschbiegel movies so why not.

Welcome to the Dollhouse - I've never seen anything by Solondz and one of my friends occassionally bothers me about watching his movies so I guess this is a place to start.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage - One of the big Bergmans I haven't seen. The 5 hour version definitely scares me.

Breathless - never seen many Godard films. Only just saw Pierrot le fou

Audition - Never really watched anything by Miike, but I'm willing to give him a chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Cailin Rua, watch Annie Hall.

So I watched Breathless. I'm beginning to develop an appreciation for Godard that I never really had before. It takes a little while to get used to his style, but there was definitely something good going on here.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher - I love the Haneke films I've seen (Cache and White Ribbon and I even liked both Funny Games)

Fitzcarraldo - Working my way through Herzog and haven't gotten to this one yet. Plan on following it with Burden of Dreams

Downfall - This one's supposed to be pretty good and I've seen a couple of other Hirschbiegel movies so why not.

Welcome to the Dollhouse - I've never seen anything by Solondz and one of my friends occassionally bothers me about watching his movies so I guess this is a place to start.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage - One of the big Bergmans I haven't seen. The 5 hour version definitely scares me.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos - I feel like I may have screwed up at some point as a queer person having never seen any John Waters film.

Audition - Never really watched anything by Miike, but I'm willing to give him a chance

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
meanmikhail: watch The Sting. Yes, I'm just going along with what the people above me said (although it is an awesome movie).

Watched Pink Flamingos. Hahaha, holy poo poo, it was crazy as hell and really loving hilarious.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

Fitzcarraldo - Working my way through Herzog and haven't gotten to this one yet. Plan on following it with Burden of Dreams

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing - Haven't really seen any Spike Lee movies.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Twin Cinema: watch Some Like It Hot. It's really good and it's not a two hour Benny Hill skit.

Watched Do the Right Thing and I really liked it. I really don't get the comments from the time that it'd start riots. Also all of the stuff about the movie being "anti-white" is really dumb.

Updated list:

Scenes from a Marriage - One of the big Bergmans I haven't seen. Based on the previous posts, I'd opt for the theatrical cut.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita - I've seen quite a few Fellinis, but not this one yet.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Jim Barris: watch Nosferatu. I think that might've been the first silent film I watched and it's a really great way to get into silents. Plus it's a really good early horror film, and was a huge influence on vampire fiction.

I watched Welcome to the Dollhouse a few days ago, although I hadn't really had a good chance to respond to it until now. It was really good and did a good job dealing with alienation and being a dumb kid. The way that everyone poo poo on the main character was a bit over the top, though.

My updated list:

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Scenes from a Marriage - One of the big Bergmans I haven't seen. Based on the previous posts, I'd opt for the theatrical cut.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
tokillthesunflower: watch Bicycle Thieves

So I watched Downfall and it was really good. I haven't seen any other World War Two film that offers the same perspective on things. It was also the most interesting look at Hitler that I've ever seen.

Updated list:

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Wolfgang Pauli: watch True Lies. It's the only one of those movies that I've seen (I'm not a big action film person). It also happens to be the most recent James Cameron movie I'll ever watch. It's really fun and clever.

So I watched Fitzcarraldo and I followed it up with Burden of Dreams and all I can really say is wow. It's an outstanding film, absolutely beautiful and completely crazy at the same time. Kinski does a great job with being eccentric yet in an endearing way. The only other Herzog/Kinski films I had seen were Aguirre and Nosferatu so I wasn't surprised at Kinski being able to do eccentric, but for him to actually be likeable was a pleasant surprise. Burden of Dreams really drives home how well the production of Fitzcarraldo complements the film itself, and just what an ordeal it was to even make. Superb.

Updated list:

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus - I know this one isn't considered a "true" Kubrick, but along with The Killing and, I suppose, Fear and Desire, it's the only one I haven't seen, so I should probably watch it anyway.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Peaceful Anarchy: watch My Life as a Dog. There's definitely sad stuff about it, but I wouldn't really call it depressing.

Watched Z and it was really good and also really frustrating. I'm not sure why I put it off for so long, though.

Updated list:

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus - I know this one isn't considered a "true" Kubrick, but along with The Killing and, I suppose, Fear and Desire, it's the only one I haven't seen, so I should probably watch it anyway.

Downfall

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Why was it frustrating? I'll watch My Life as a Dog tomorrow.

Well, the events of the movie (and by extension the events they were based on) were frustrating, not so much the movie itself. Just the amount of the government did and was able to get away with was frustrating (and depressing).

Also My Life as a Dog is notable as one of the only movies you've listed that I've actually seen.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
tokillthesunflower: watch City Lights. Chaplin owns.

I watched Spartacus and while it was good, it didn't feel quite like a Kubrick movie (this of course isn't unexpected). It actually kind of felt more like David Lean. I was quite impressed by the cast. I didn't expect to see Laughton or Ustinov or Olivier (and didn't even recognize Olivier at first). Also, I was surprised at how early the "I'm Spartacus" scene was. I didn't expect another half hour to be left

Updated list:

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man - I really like Lynch but I've never seen this one. I guess the fact it never seemed quite Lynchian (is that a word?) enough is a factor.

Downfall

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Circusmacabre: watch Eraserhead. Don't really worry about missing the point. It's a very surreal film and very strange.

So I watched The Elephant Man. It was good, but not quite on the same level as Lynch's best. It was definitely more "Lychian" than I expected, although that was mostly superficial. It did seem to lack a certain something, though.

Updated list:

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy - I thought about just sticking the first one in here, but what the hell I guess I'll go for all three. I don't plan on marathoning through them all, though. I don't really know much about these, except that they're supposed to be really good and that they're French/Polish co-productions (or something like that). I've never seen anything by Kieslowski

Downfall

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

Magic Hate Ball posted:

dotCommunism, watch Scenes From A Marriage. The television version. :colbert:

Yeah, the television version isn't happening. I'm not going to be able to get ahold of it in a timely fashion. I'll definitely watch the television version someday (as soon as I can get ahold of it), but for the time being, I'll stick with the theatrical version

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Peaceful Anarchy: watch Bad Day at Black Rock. It is a western (although not a period piece). I didn't really know anything about it going into it either, but it's pretty cool, and Spencer Tracy is awesome. Also it's .091 Berlin Alexanderplatzes long.

So I watched Scenes from a Marriage and it was good. Bergman can always amaze me with the awful poo poo his characters can do to each other (and some of the not awful things too). There's definitely a certain feel to a lot of the later Bergman films (like this one and Autumn Sonata and Cries and Whispers).

Updated list:

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy - I thought about just sticking the first one in here, but what the hell I guess I'll go for all three. I don't plan on marathoning through them all, though. I don't really know much about these, except that they're supposed to be really good and that they're French/Polish co-productions (or something like that). I've never seen anything by Kieslowski

Downfall

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo - I've never seen anything by Jodorowsky and I don't really know anything about this one, except it's supposed to be weird as hell so I figure it's as good of a place to start as any

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
tokillthesunflower: watch Les Enfants du Paradis. I don't really know anyone else who's seen it but it's a very good movie. It's also kind of amazing it was made during Nazi occupation too.

So I watched Audition and I really didn't care for it. I don't necessarily have any problem with graphic violence, but I don't really know what the point of it was in this movie other than shock value. The first half of the movie was interesting, but then it really seemed to go off the rails in the second half. Maybe I just didn't get it. Let's just say it doesn't encourage me to seek out anything else by Miike.

Updated list:

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man

Downfall

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo - I've never seen anything by Jodorowsky and I don't really know anything about this one, except it's supposed to be weird as hell so I figure it's as good of a place to start as any

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul - I've never seen any Fassbinder, and he seems to have gotten some play in this thread. I'd like to get into the New German Cinema beyond just Herzog, too.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Godard is a pretentious rear end in a top hat

This is pretty much the truest statement ever. I think I read some Godard remark about how he hated Ophuls, plus he called cinema truth (at 24 fps or whatever). He's a really good director, but yeah he definitely seems like a huge dick. I had an ex who used to read a big Godard book and loved the guy.

And I don't really plan on marathoning through the Three Colours Trilogy in the sense of watching all three back to back to back. I just meant I would watch them all at once for the purpose of this thread. In other words, watching all three in a day or two.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

thegloaming posted:

I will watch Berlin Alexanderplatz if someone picks it for PA.

If I get the chance, I will definitely pick it. But I still have to watch White and Red.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
tokillthesunflower: watch, oh I don't know, The Passion of Joan of Arc. Dreyer is pretty cool.

So I watched the Three Colors trilogy over the past three days. Red was definitely my favorite of the three. It really had a lot to it and I loved the ending that tied all three movies together. All in all a fascinating trilogy and even though parts of White kind of bothered me, three great movies on their own.

Updated list:

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker - I've seen a couple of Tarkovsky films, and I like what I've seen. This seems like a nice next step to take, I guess.

Downfall

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Scenes from a Marriage

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul - I've never seen any Fassbinder, and he seems to have gotten some play in this thread. I'd like to get into the New German Cinema beyond just Herzog, too.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

Zogo posted:

It looks like the time has come my friends. :laugh:

This disappoints me. I wanted to pick Berlin Alexanderplatz :(

I do still have to watch Stalker though.

I will say this though: if someone picks Ali: Fear Eats the Soul for me, I will replace it with Berlin Alexanderplatz

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

FitFortDanga posted:

Fear Eats the Soul is better.

Oh, I intend to watch Fear Eats the Soul, I meant that after I watch it I'll replace it on my list with Berlin Alexanderplatz

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

It's gonna suck trying to find the post that my list is in after all this time.

Click the little question mark next to the time stamp for your post.

CloseFriend: watch High and Low. It's a good Kurosawa and very different from his period stuff. Also, you should probably pick something for Kull the Conqueror.

So I watched Stalker and it was quite something. I'm still not really sure what to think of it. Tarkovsky's movies seem to require some time to think about them and really take them in so I guess I don't have much to say about it yet. There were definitely some really awesome shots in it (I like long shots).

Updated list:

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour - I've seen a few Bunuels, including The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie which was awesome. So this has been on my list of movies to see for a while, so this would motivate me to finally watching it.

Downfall

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Scenes from a Marriage

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

Audition

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Diabolik900 - watch The Seven Samurai. It's really awesome.

So I watched Ali: Fear Eats the Soul and it was great. There were some very tender, heart-warming moments, and also some parts that just make your heart break. It's all so well done and really drives home some less than pleasant realities of the worlds people live in.

Updated list:

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour - I've seen a few Bunuels, including The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie which was awesome. So this has been on my list of movies to see for a while, so this would motivate me to finally watching it.

Downfall

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Scenes from a Marriage

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Berlin Alexanderplatz - Since people seem to be taking the jump on this, I guess I'll throw my hat into it. I'm expecting the length will make me want to kill myself at least once or twice during it.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
tokillthesunflower: watch Breathless. Definitely a good intro to Godard

So I watched El Topo yesterday. Definitely a weird movie. It was more coherent than I expected in the sense that I could tell what was happening, but it was much less coherent in the sense of understanding what happened. I'm not sure I get it, but it was definitely interesting and fascinating.

Updated list:

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker

Downfall

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player - I love Truffaut and have seen several of his films, and love the French New Wave in general, so I'll throw this one in here.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

Audition
Berlin Alexanderplatz - Since people seem to be taking the jump on this, I guess I'll throw my hat into it. I'm expecting the length will make me want to kill myself at least once or twice during it.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Peaceful Anarchy: Juliet of the Spirits is the only one on your list that I've seen, so I guess I'll pick that. Not my favorite Fellini, but it's not bad either.

So I watched Belle de jour today. It was very interesting. The way it handled the sex and more importantly the main character's interest in the sex was very non-exploitative and had a bit of realism to it. I want to see what kind of feminist critiques I can find of this movie.

Updated list:

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line - There's kind of a lack of American movies on this list, and I also need some more Errol Morris under my belt. The only Morris film I've seen is Gates of Heaven. I picked this one in particular because it's on Netflix Instant.

Downfall

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player - I love Truffaut and have seen several of his films, and love the French New Wave in general, so I'll throw this one in here.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

Audition

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
I see at least someone saw my fan film Last Tango in Citizen Kane

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
It's "allons-y, Alonso"

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Peaceful Anarchy: you get Dodesukaden. It's very far from my favorite Kurosawa, but it's the only one on your list I've seen. There's still some good stuff in it, though.

I watched The Piano Teacher earlier today, and it definitely has Haneke's style to it. Huppert is great, of course, and her character is quite disturbed and disturbing. Haneke really makes some hosed up movies.

Updated list:

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now - Taking a break from all of the foreign or otherwise obscure movies, I decided I should throw in something that's pretty mainstream that I've never gotten around to seeing.

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line - There's kind of a lack of American movies on this list, and I also need some more Errol Morris under my belt. The only Morris film I've seen is Gates of Heaven. I picked this one in particular because it's on Netflix Instant.

Downfall

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

Audition

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
I bought Heart of Darkness today. I should finish reading that in the next day or two and I'll probably get to Apocalypse Now on Sunday or so.

Also, Peaceful Anarchy, I'm glad you got so much out of Dodesukaden. I'm thinking I should maybe rewatch it to see if I missed something the first time I saw it. It's actually at a nearby-ish theater later this month.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
The A-Team Van: watch Lawrence of Arabia

Ok, so I finally watched Apocalypse Now, and it was really good. The redux version, since that's what I got assigned. I liked the French plantation scene. It really added some context to what was happening in the movie, plus it tied into the colonialist themes in Heart of Darkness. It did seem to gently caress with the pacing, though, and there were a few other places where the movie seemed to kind of stall. There was a lot of stuff I thought the movie did better than the book. It might have just been Conrad's style, but the movie seemed much more evocative. Of course the movie had a much greater scope, too, but the book was quite dull.

Updated list:

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now
Vivre sa vie - gonna throw another Godard on here. This one in particular, because the blu-ray for it is sitting in my apartment.

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour

Downfall

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

Audition

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
I'd just like to update to say that I'm still alive and I'm working on Berlin Alexanderplatz. So far I'm through the first 8 parts, which means I've only got 6 to go!

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

FitFortDanga posted:

Wuthering Heights - This version made me appreciate Bunuel's much more. Wyler has none of Bunuel's sense of humor about how over-the-top and awful these characters are, and instead treats them as romantic/tragic heroes. The true culprit may very well be Alfred Newman, whose horrible, horrible score is drenched all over the place, ruining almost every scene with absurd amounts of syrupy strings. As for the rest of it, it's okay-to-good. Olivier is a massively overrated actor, in my opinion, but he does a decent job here, as does Merle Oberon. Toland's photography is, as to be expected, quite grand. The film moves along smoothly and usually holds your interest. I still prefer Bunuel's take on the story, however... a far more fiery (and slyly satirical) rendition. Rating: 6

Holy poo poo, I had no idea there was a Bunuel version of Wuthering Heights. I need to get on that.
Also, the biggest problem with Wuthering Heights are the people who view the characters as romantic when they're really all just huge assholes.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
mikewozere: watch The Graduate

So I finally finished Berlin Alexanderplatz. Obviously watching it was quite an ordeal, simply due to the length. It took a little while to pick up steam too, but once it did it really got good. The last few episodes were really powerful and I really had no idea what direction things were going to go. Then there was the epilogue which was crazy and very different from the rest of the series. Definitely a fitting ending though.

Updated list:

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now
Vivre sa vie - gonna throw another Godard on here. This one in particular, because the blu-ray for it is sitting in my apartment.

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour

Downfall

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

Audition
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or - Old Bunuel which I haven't seen. Most importantly, though, it's nice and short.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

FitFortDanga posted:

It's not even 3 hours. LoA and OUaTitW are both longer.

It's not even that hard to look up how long a movie is. I don't see why so many people post that movies are ridiculously longer than they are.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Mistletoe Donkey: you get Sci-fi epic Lawrence of Arabia

Watched Babel and it was pretty good but still felt a little lacking. The Japan sub-plot didn't really seem to fit in all that well, especially when the other sub-plots were pretty strongly connected, and this one only had a pretty tenuous connection to the others. Brad Pitt was pretty great, though.

Updated list:

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour

Downfall

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Babel
Stroszek - More Herzog.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

Audition
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or - Old Bunuel which I haven't seen. Most importantly, though, it's nice and short.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Brian Fellows - You get The Earrings of Madame de...

So I watched Shoot the Piano Player last night. I must say I wasn't expecting anything nearly as funny as it was.

Updated list:

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour

Downfall

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Babel
Stroszek - More Herzog.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player
The Rules of the Game - Ok, I've seen Grand Illusion and a few other Renoirs but I haven't seen this one yet despite the fact it's supposed to be one of the best movies ever.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing

Audition
Berlin Alexanderplatz

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Silber - watch The Seventh Seal

Watched La dolce vita yesterday. Had some brilliant segments to it, but didn't really seem to mesh quite like 8 1/2. I think I really need to rewatch this for it to set in properly.

Updated list:

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour

Downfall

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Babel
Stroszek - More Herzog.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player
The Rules of the Game - Ok, I've seen Grand Illusion and a few other Renoirs but I haven't seen this one yet despite the fact it's supposed to be one of the best movies ever.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita
Through a Glass Darkly - Can never go wrong with more Bergman.

Audition
Berlin Alexanderplatz

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Mistletoe Donkey - if Nodrog doesn't pick something for you, go with Bonnie and Clyde, since Arthur Penn died today.

Nodrog - go with Ran

So I watched The Birth of a Nation and let me start off by saying it's probably the most disgusting and abhorrent movie I've ever seen. Even the first half is filled with this revisionist white-washing attitude towards the ante-bellum South which gives me issue enough. However, the entire second half is just a big hate screed. Filled with racist caricatures and liberties with history it creates a narrative that blacks oppressed white southerners during reconstruction leading to the heroic Klan putting the blacks back into their place. What is rather interesting, though, is this sort of racist fantasy seems to have re-emerged into contemporary discourse. In fact it seems to be what the entire Tea Party hinges on.
Overall, though, I can't divorce any appreciation for the film as a work from the vile, hate-filled propaganda that it is.

Updated list:

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation
Intolerance - Have to see if Griffith managed to redeem himself at all.

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Babel
Stroszek - More Herzog.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita

Audition
Berlin Alexanderplatz

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Atheistdeals.com - go with Casablanca. Kids these days!

Watched Man with a Movie Camera and it was outstanding. I wasn't expecting anything with so much energy. The editing was great. It really felt ahead of its time.

Updated list:

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera
Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Babel
Stroszek - More Herzog.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita

Audition
Berlin Alexanderplatz

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
chemosh6969 - watch Juno. Try not to let yourself get bothered because the dialogue is idiosyncratic because if you let yourself get hung up on the dialogue you'll miss out on appreciating a good movie.

L'age d'or was very weird, which I suppose is to be expected for Bunuel. Definitely felt similar to a silent film with very sparse dialogue and use of intertitles.

So for October, all of the movies which I add to my list are going to be horror movies.

Updated list:

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera
Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Babel
Stroszek - More Herzog.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita

Audition
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or
Bride of Frankenstein - I've seen Frankenstein and this one's supposed to be a lot better.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
FitFortDanga - watch Mon oncle d'Amerique. It's the only one on your list I've seen.

The Rules of the Game - I can see why this is as heralded as it is, although on my first watch it didn't really hit me that way. Very scathing indictment of the so-called upper class.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera

Babel
Stroszek - More Herzog.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player
The Rules of the Game
Faust - Murnau's silent. I've seen a few other Murnaus and this one has appealed to me for a while, but the length has kept me away from it.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita

Audition
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or
Bride of Frankenstein - I've seen Frankenstein and this one's supposed to be a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
penismightier - watch Harold and Maude

Stroszek was weird as hell, but there was some really hilarious stuff. The auction scene was pretty crazy, and the whole end scene was odd. I don't think the movie paints the most flattering portrait of America, although I can't say I fault it for that.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera

Babel
Stroszek
Rosemary's Baby - This one I've been meaning to see for a while. I haven't seen any of Polanski's so-called "Apartment Trilogy"

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player
The Rules of the Game
Faust - Murnau's silent. I've seen a few other Murnaus and this one has appealed to me for a while, but the length has kept me away from it.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita

Audition
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or