Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

csidle posted:

Really? That's far less universally lauded than some of his other stuff. I'd recommend you start out with Boogie Nights, rather than this one.

You are wrong. Magnolia is his best film, with There Will be Blood a close second.

TSPDT has them as:
552 Boogie Nights 1997
599 There Will Be Blood 2007
679 Magnolia 1999
766 Punch-Drunk Love 2002

The differences between those places is minimal in terms of their point system, certainly not "far less universally lauded."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ratedargh posted:

Spacek narrates that her father was furious when he found out she had lied to him about seeing Kit so he shot her dog as punishment. Why say this? It showed it, it made sense and this explanation was unnecessary.

Spacek's delivery throughout the movie is unsettling. She's so detached and it makes her creepier than Kit who is a gun wielding maniac.

I think you answered your own question there. The narration isn't there for exposition, it's to get you into the strange mindset of Spacek's character and her perspective on the events.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Electronico6 posted:

Nearly there, still 5 or 6 films off his mark.
poo poo, I guess it's time to get back into this, then.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Sholay (2/16/13) - Called the best Indian film ever made, but I never saw one I liked so far unless directed by Ray.
It's a decently entertaining musical/western/comedy/drama, but I think the "best Indian film ever made (as decided by Indians)" moniker belongs to Mother India. Also for something more along the lines of Ray, Ritwik Ghatak is a good choice.

Also, I'm so sorry for your upcoming suffering through The Bank Dick.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

La Dolce Vita is purposely aimless and about taking pleasure in the moment. Also some class commentary or something. I may have liked it a bit more than you, because I really like pretty pictures and it has pretty pictures, but I felt much the same as you about the actual content of the film. It completely fails to connect with my interests or personality.