Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thegloaming posted:

Also finally watched Casablanca, with my Dad no less! I suppose I'm glad to check it off the list, but I wasn't blown away. I was impressed by the film's precise construction more than I was by the story. Everyone played their parts to perfection... I just wish I could have gotten more out of it. Maybe in a few years.

The precise construction and perfect writing and delivery is what makes it so great. It's not the deepest of films but it's a film that has absolutely no weaknesses which is no small feat. It's the epitome of classic Hollywood, a mix of romance, smart dialogue and intrigue all played to perfection. I felt the same the first time I watched and when I rewatched it a few years later I kept looking for flaws and becoming more and more impressed by just how perfect it is.

Also, now that you mention Aguirre I'm reminded we haven't seen any hat eating yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

dotCommunism watch Z it's great. Also take Birth of a Nation of your list it sucks. If you want a long canon 1910's film by Griffiths watch Intolerance.

The Big Red One was a tiny bit underwhelming as it did feel like stuff I'd seen done before, but it's still very good. It's not my favourite style of war film but once I understood what it was trying to do it clicked really well. It's very episodic and what we get to know about the characters is limited considering the film is nearly 3 hours long, but really exemplifies the numbness that I imagine soldiers in a long war like this feel. There are some really excellent individual scenes that make this more than worth watching.

Updated list:
Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Those are the only two films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

Satantango Hey there's maybe a pattern in the films I haven't seen.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Chelsea Girls A 3 hour film directed by Andy Warhol. That's the extent of my knowledge about this, I've never seen anything by Warhol so I'm curious.

Olympia I don't think Triumph of the will is that great so this isn't something I've made much of an effort to watch it but I do have a nagging curiosity to see it.

Les Vampires A big multi-part silent. I know it's not actually about vampires but rather some criminal gang. That's about the extent of my knowledge about it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cantskate43 you get Cool Hand Luke. It was either that or Casablanca and it sounds like you're more interested in watching this.

Eggnogium posted:

I watched these a couple years ago on Google Video and they're a decent bit of fun. Nothing spectacular but it's kind of cool watching the 1915 equivalent of a television crime drama.

I dunno, I'd say it was pretty spectacular. When I realized this was 6 and a half hours long I was wondering what I'd gotten myself into, but the episodic nature makes it really easy to watch. Each episode is self contained, but they tie together to form a larger narrative. It took about 20 minutes to get me hooked, but once I did I couldn't stop watching and succumbed to the "just one more episode" syndrome. It's creative but most of all it's just plain fun. Kidnapping, murder, bribery, blackmail and chase scenes make appearances throughout the series and while it's full of cliches and could be a little faster paced it's always exciting. Really glad I watched it.

Updated list:
Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Chelsea Girls A 3 hour film directed by Andy Warhol. That's the extent of my knowledge about this, I've never seen anything by Warhol so I'm curious.

Olympia I don't think Triumph of the will is that great so this isn't something I've made much of an effort to watch it but I do have a nagging curiosity to see it.

Ballad of a Soldier It's an important Soviet war film. Been on my need to see list forever never was in the mood/

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Peaceful, you're a rotten fucker for making me choose between Ballad of a Soldier and The Burmese Harp. Ballad of a Soldier it is. It's stunning and beautiful on every level, every god drat level. And I'm such a sucker for Russian train stories. No matter how many I watch or read, they never get old.
Are Russian train stories a genre? Anyway, I have to agree it was a beautiful film. It's always amazing when a film manages to balance genuine sentimentality with a light touch so that in those 90 minutes I could feel genuine joy and a tinge of sadness. It's right behind The Cranes are Flying and The Letter Never sent as one of the best Soviet films I've seen. I'm so sorry I waited so long to watch this.

You can watch Jules and Jim now, hopefully you'll like it more than MHB.

Updated list:

Kin-Dza-Dza A soviet Sci Fi film that's apparently highly regarded.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FFD go watch Sleuth

Oh my, what can I say about Chelsea Girls. It's a very challenging and draining film, I enjoyed large segments of it but was kind of bored through others. The split screen and varying audio, along with some of the shooting techniques Warhol uses, really make you think about how one chooses what to focus on. At times I was fully engaged on one segment and totally forgot there were two screens, at others I switched back and forth, I often followed the audio but not always, it was a very unique experience. It took a little to get engaged but after that I found some of it hilarious and a lot of it interesting. The second half I found less interesting than the first, and there was a half hour or so segment from about the 2hour mark to the 2:30 hour mark that was nearly unbearably stupid.

Updated list:

Kin-Dza-Dza A soviet Sci Fi film that's apparently highly regarded.

My Life As a Dog Just remembered this one, I think it falls into the "I'm under the impression this is really depressing" reason for not watching.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

I wonder if you saw the same cut I did. Was that the part with Eric, ranting about his sweat?

Yes, that's the one. I was already getting a bit bored since the segment before it was silent, and his nonsensical rants just aren't the kind of nonsensical rants I want to listen to. The other screen seemed like it would have been somewhat more interesting. Funnily enough I just read Ebert's review and he seems to have hated the film yet cites that sequence as being good and touching.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Jolo, because I feel like recommending something a little more off beat you get What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? It's a lot of fun.

drat, I've seen enough Soviet films to have an idea of what to expect but this was a great surprise. An unsuspecting pair gets transported to a desert planet and spends the rest of the film meeting strange characters trying to get home. It's the humour that keeps it going and they do an awful lot with what must have been a pretty small budget. I've got to check out more Soviet films.

Updated list:

My Life As a Dog Just remembered this one, I think it falls into the "I'm under the impression this is really depressing" reason for not watching.

The Man Who Fell To Earth I love the few Roeg films I've seen so I guess I need to watch this one.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

I'm really bothered that I haven't gotten you yet. I want to know what you make of Napoleon.
I'm sure you'll get your chance. Now if only I can make you watch The Red Shoes. Though I guess with the blu ray out in 3 weeks it's probably worth the wait.

dotCommunism posted:

Peaceful Anarchy: watch My Life as a Dog. There's definitely sad stuff about it, but I wouldn't really call it depressing.

Watched Z and it was really good and also really frustrating. I'm not sure why I put it off for so long, though.

Why was it frustrating? I'll watch My Life as a Dog tomorrow.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 30, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

tokillthesunflower watch La Grande Illusion because you really need to watch some Renoir if you're calling him that guy.

dotCommunism posted:

Well, the events of the movie (and by extension the events they were based on) were frustrating, not so much the movie itself. Just the amount of the government did and was able to get away with was frustrating (and depressing).

Ahh, that makes sense. The only other Costa-Gravas film I've seen is State of Siege and that one certainly made me feel that way too.

Just watched My Life as a dog, it was a nice movie, and yeah it wasn't all that depressing. A little sad definitely, but more of a bittersweet life goes on feeling. Some if it felt too quirky and I can't say I loved it, but I did like it and the way it made me think about coping mechanisms and growing up.

Updated list:

The Man Who Fell To Earth I love the few Roeg films I've seen so I guess I need to watch this one.

Akahige This is the big Kurosawa I haven't seen. No real reason for it, just haven't gotten around to it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Hellbunny you should watch Nikita. I also considered Eraserhead, but if you haven't seen any Lynch I'm not sure I'd pick it as a starting point.

Watched The Man who Fell to Earth, liked it a lot. It's a very strange and beautiful film that's a bit hard to get a hold on to but still feels very rich in substance. It took a bit of a turn about 90 minutes in that threw me off for a bit but once I readjusted to what was going on I think it worked well. It reminded me a lot of Bad Timing and Walkabout in style and made me want to revisit those. The funny thing about every Roeg film I've seen is that while I like them as I'm watching them, as soon as they're over my opinion of them increases sharply the more I think about them. I've heard post 1980 Roeg is not as good, but drat I've got to check at least one of those out at some point.

Updated list:

Akahige This is the big Kurosawa I haven't seen. No real reason for it, just haven't gotten around to it.

Ossessione I started watching this one once but got interrupted. I liked the 15 or so minutes I saw and I like Visconti in general, so I'm not sure why I haven't gotten back to it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

marioinblack watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Jack's great in it.

Watched Red Beard it's not quite top tier Kurosawa but still a great movie. Mifune is great and so is the other lead, there's a lot of depth and I love what Kurosawa did with the lighting. Still, where some films feel like the whole is more than the sum of its parts, this one felt the opposite. Every part was excellent but they didn't quite fit together to make perfection, just something really good.

Updated list:

Ossessione I started watching this one once but got interrupted. I liked the 15 or so minutes I saw and I like Visconti in general, so I'm not sure why I haven't gotten back to it.

Woodstock I didn't even know this existed until someone posted it in this thread, sounds like something I should watch, though 4 hours seems a bit much.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Arturo Ui posted:

drat Peaceful Anarchy how do you obtain these movies and watch them so quickly?
I don't think anything I've watched for this thread is particularly hard to find. Most of the movies I list are ones already sitting on my shelf and have been putting off watching for whatever reason. I've gotten better but there was a time when I would blind buy a lot of stuff if I saw it on sale, so I have a huge backlog of DVDs to work through. Once someone picks it I generally just have to find the time to watch it. My work schedule's pretty light in the summer so I have plenty of time.

Now I'm off to watch Satantango, hopefully I'll be done tonight.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Tokyo Story for you, Magic Hate Ball. I haven't seen Good Morning so I can't say how it compares but it's a really wonderful film.

Criminal Minded posted:

Watching in one sitting eh? That's how I did it. Anybody who doesn't isn't a real movie fan. :colbert:

Well, I'm not sure if it's fair to say I watched it in one sitting, I did take a few short breaks to eat and go to the washroom, but I'm pretty pleased with myself.

I'll admit that first half hour was rough, so slow and with no point of reference I was really starting to wonder what I was getting myself into. Then I started piecing things together and got more and more interested. The last 3 and a half hours went by quicker than the first 3 and a half hours. Artistically and creatively this gets full points, the long takes are a bit hard to take at first but I got used to them after the first half hour and really appreciated the beauty of the composition. I also think the long takes help in actually making the whole film not feel as long since they alter your perception of time. The content of the film was intriguing and rich, but I have to say even now that the film is over I'm not sure I get everything that happened or the motivations of some of the characters. For example wikipedia says that the money central to the plot came from them all selling their share of a farm but I don't remember that ever being explicit in the film. It's not a big problem since the plot is merely a tool to frame the visuals and the characters who are richly but subtly developed, but it still feels like a few things could have been clearer without spoiling the mood and tone of the film.

Updated list:

Woodstock I didn't even know this existed until someone posted it in this thread, sounds like something I should watch, though 4 hours seems a bit much.

A Time to Live and a Time to Die I was looking through TSPDT list of top 200 directors and Hsiao-hsien Hou is the only one I haven't seen a film from, so maybe I should rectify that.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Skwirl posted:

Look on the bright side, if you hate it you can safely never watch another musical again, because nothing else would change your mind.

This is a lie. Singin' in the rain is great at what it does, but it's still very trapped in a specific convention of what a musical is, one I don't particularly like. So while I liked it more than other musicals of its ilk it didn't change my view of musicals. All That Jazz did, though, as it does something more serious with its style. 30's musicals are a different breed too and some of them like 42nd Street have some amazing stuff that you can love even if you hate the singing.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

tokillthesunflower I guess I'll pick The Grapes of Wrath for you. Not appreciating Ford is not a big deal in my book, but this is a really good film.

Watched Napoleon. HOLY poo poo! Let me get a couple of things out of the way first, it feels every bit its length, and it should be called The Rise of Napoleon because it ends before he even takes power. Oh, and Napoleon is short. Not that either of those things are really negatives, they're just the closest thing to complaints I can find about this.

One issue I often have with silents is pacing, even in ones I love, so I had reservations about a 5 and a half hour film but it's so packed full of action, intrigue and information that, while it feels long, very little of that time feels wasted. The other big thing with silents is how important a score is to making it work. In this regard I'm glad I chose the Brownlow restoration because the Carl Davis score is absolutely astounding and fits the pacing and content of the scenes like a glove. Those two issues overcome, what we have is an epic tale of the rise of Napoleon set against the turmoil that was the French revolution, and the film does a great job of fleshing everything out without making it dry, giving context where appropriate without overloading the audience with information. Gance probably assumed some familiarity on the audience's part with the general outline of events, but I don't think you'd miss much if you don't know about the French revolution. It's an excellent story and while I feel it's kind of incomplete without Napoleon's actual achievement of power and subsequent downfall, that's more me wishing there were another movie than a complaint about this one.

So what makes it so great besides the fact that Napoleon's story is fascinating? I mentioned the music, but it would be nothing without the editing. The multitude of techniques Gance uses are beyond my uninformed ability to describe, but there are a lot of rapid cuts, superimposed images, and close ups to go along with amazing camerawork that captures impressive crowds with wide shots, movement with a dynamic camera and every aspect of the actor's performances when required. It's an absolute marvel to watch and even more impressive because it never seems flashy or superfluous. Every trick or piece of visual flair is there to convey something about what's going on in the film whether it be in the narrative or the emotional state of the characters. Needless to say I was mightily impressed by everything in the film and really enjoyed it.

Updated list:
Greed 4 hour silent, I wonder why I haven't seen it? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching it.

A Time to Live and a Time to Die I was looking through TSPDT list of top 200 directors and Hsiao-hsien Hou is the only one I haven't seen a film from, so maybe I should rectify that.

Faces I like what I've seen of Cassavettes, this is the next one on my list but I keep putting it off.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

meanmikhail watch Badlands it's almost as beautiful as Malick's other films and a lot of fun. I love the soundtrack, and that's not something I say often.

Well, Faces sure woke me up. There's an awful lot of nervous laughter in that film. It's really good, everything feels so raw and exposed and the performances are natural even if the characters are far from normal. Or maybe they're too normal. I can never quite relate to the dysfunction of Cassavettes characters but I still get something out of watching them struggle emotionally.

Updated list:
Greed 4 hour silent, I wonder why I haven't seen it? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching it.

Godzilla That's right I've never seen Godzilla, don't know how I didn't think of this one earlier.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Neilpeartnoy posted:

Peaceful Anarchy watch Godzilla. It's the only movie on your list I have seen. Try to ignore the complete lack of science in it and just enjoy it for the giant metaphor it is.

I knew this was coming. I guess I'll find out what the big deal is.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Noxville, I give you Casablanca

Well, Godzilla was certainly not what I expected. Which is both a good thing and a bad one. The effects hold up well enough to be enjoyable and I was pleased to see it wasn't just a monster movie and actually tried to make some larger points. Unfortunately, I also though it was incredibly clumsy when making those points. The human penchant for war, the aftermath of destruction the human cost, the double edged sword of science, political interference, these are all complex subjects and the film spreads itself too thin trying to tackle them all. Not that it couldn't be done, but you'd need more than 90 minutes, stronger characterization and a much more organized plot. And yeah the science was ridiculous but that didn't bother me much.

Updated list:

City of Sadness I was looking through TSPDT list of top 200 directors and Hsiao-hsien Hou is the only one I haven't seen a film from, so maybe I should rectify that.

Éloge de l'amour I've decided to watch some more contemporary Godard, this one seems well praised. We'll see.

FitFortDanga posted:

Hou is kind of boring in general, but this is one of the duller ones. I'd go with A Summer at Grandpa's, Good Men, Good Women, City of Sadness or Flowers of Shanghai.
Ok, I'll take your advice. The only reason I chose it was that it was high in the TSPDT list and was shorter than City of Sadness.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wow, I was thinking maybe 15 or so. It has been a month though, and I find that I generally spend a disproportionate amount of my movie time trying to decide what to watch, so it's nice to have other people make that decision for me, within the confines of stuff I actually want to watch.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

VorpalBunny posted:

I think I've done 3, and there is literally no excuse for me not to watch the 4th. I want to watch it, I have it on Netflix instant view, I just...haven't. I am ashamed to admit that.

The best part is when you got it 3 weeks ago you said "this I could bang out later this evening!" Go watch it and lose that shame.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Oh you got lucky Arkane. You go watch Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Olympia See, now this is artistic propaganda. The first part is an absolute work of beauty. From the Greek ruins in the opening to the final shots of the closing ceremonies, nearly every shot is beautiful and watching 74 year old competitions is surprisingly exciting. The crowd reactions, the slow motion athletic movements, even the biased German announcing create a package of the best in human achievement with a visible cloud of the worst to come. I really can find little wrong here.

The second part is still very good but much more uneven. Where the first was track and field this one is everything else, and seems to have a really strange fixation on horse riding. Opens with a creepy montage of naked men, it then goes on to dutifully go through the events, but with much less editing prowess than the first part. The horse riding, mentioned earlier, features an awful lot of disaster which is at odds with the grace and beauty of everything else. It is kind of funny though. It's also much more propagandistic, the most glaring example being showing an 8-1 field hockey rout of Germany by India as a tough 1-1 draw. Magnificent ending with the diving though, those 8 minutes absolutely worth it.

Updated list:

City of Sadness I was looking through TSPDT list of top 200 directors and Hsiao-hsien Hou is the only one I haven't seen a film from, so maybe I should rectify that.

Éloge de l'amour I've decided to watch some more contemporary Godard, this one seems well praised. We'll see.

Bad Day at Black Rock I know nothing about this. It's a western apparently.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

dotCommunism posted:

Also it's .091 Berlin Alexanderplatzes long.

I must admit, this is an appealing feature at the moment.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ikiru for you Adhesion

So this was a Western, huh? I guess it does kind of play out as one and is set in the west. Whatever you call it, though, it's wonderful. Really tight pacing, wonderful performances and strong finish. Spencer Tracy especially plays his role just right.

Updated list:

Ceddo I want to see more African films, I think I've only seen two in my life.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Noxville, Sunset Boulevard is your next film.

Soy Cuba So this is propaganda? I guess it is but frankly it didn't bother me at all. It's agonizingly beautiful and the slice of the Cuban revolution shown through the eyes of students and farmers is really wonderfully done. Really, my only complaint is that it's a little long and sensory overload begins to kick in towards the end.

Updated list:

La hora de los hornos Now this is going to be real propaganda, and pretty long too, but the subject matter interests me so I should buckle down and give it a go.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

morestuff watch The Bridge on the River Kwai, then when you like it you'll be more receptive to Lawrence of Arabia

Maybe I'm just having a restless day today, but this is another one that would have been better with a good 20 minutes less running time. It's one of those love stories where right from the start you get the feeling that things won't end well and the rest of the film is a slow burn trying to see if the characters can escape their fate. I like suspense and tension quite a bit, but even when the writing is on the wall I'd like characters to have agency. The moment I get the sense an ending will occur because the filmmaker dictates it rather than the actions of the characters I just want the film to get on with it and show me how it's going to happen. That issue aside it is a pretty good film and for an hour and a half I was fully engaged even while the writing was on the wall. Visconti's cinematographic prowess is still in its infancy but there are glimpses of what was to come and as an early example of neorealism I like it a lot more here than when it's used for weepy melodrama.

Updated list:
Greed 4 hour silent, I wonder why I haven't seen it? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching it. It's also the only film in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

La hora de los hornos Now this is going to be real propaganda, and pretty long too, but the subject matter interests me so I should buckle down and give it a go.

Hoop Dreams I really don't watch many documentaries, this is one of the few I own and haven't seen. I hear it's really good, but it's also 3 hours and about basketball, not a subject I care much about.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione - 8/10

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 13, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mollsmolyneux, there's nothing in your list that I really feel compelled to recommend so I'll pick The Godfather Trilogy, or at least the first two, because it should make your mom happy and they are very good films.

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Also, you watch Greed because it sounds like you're really thrilled about it.
I assume this was sarcastic but I was more excited to see it than my ambivalent description might indicate and boy did it deliver. In fact I have so many thoughts going through my head about it that I don't really know where to start. Every von Stroheim film I watch makes me sad that the guy had his films systematically butchered by the studios and this one even more so because it is a serious candidate for best film ever. I watched the 4 hour reconstruction which is basically the surviving 2 hour cut of the film with stills and title cards inserted throughout and I can't imagine how the two hour version must be to watch. It's odd to watch a film this way but I must say the creative decision to pan through the stills to give them a little life works really well, even if it stands out against the fixed camera tradition of the moving film.

The story is a fantastic tale of the tragedy of obsessive greed, and even at four hours it's really quite briskly paced with an awful lot of narrative content to keep you watching and thinking. It's hard to judge the performances when so much of the film is stills but they seem pretty good to me, Gibson Gowland and Zasu Pitts as the two leads especially, as their characters undergo various transformations throughout the film. Visually again it's hard to judge the film, but one thing that stood out as very effective is the colouring of all the gold in the film. Also the only colour scene in the film being the sweet old couple is very telling.

What really makes this rise to the top, though, is the way it depicts the slow corruption of money in a way that is perfectly smooth. The differences between where the characters start and end is astounding, but the transition is so smooth no actions ever seem out of place. I'd love to see the 8 1/2 hour original cut if it mad the transition even more natural. If Napoleon is the climax of silent films in terms of visual technique then this is the climax of silent characterization. It reminds tonally of There Will be Blood even if the films go about things in rather different ways. You have not seen the pinnacle of silent films if you haven't seen this. Go and find a way to watch it, all of you.

Updated list:

Hoop Dreams I really don't watch many documentaries, this is one of the few I own and haven't seen. I hear it's really good, but it's also 3 hours and about basketball, not a subject I care much about.

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only 3 left. This is the one I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione - 8/10, Greed 10/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ok marioinblack, I'm going to recommend Godfather Part I to you too.

Hoop Dreams is really good. Sometimes the filmmakers go for the emotions a little too much, but but a lot of it is inherent in the material and I think they do a pretty good job of letting the audience make up their own minds. A film this is special not because it tells you something you didn't know, but because it makes you see it with your own eyes. Even though it's 3 hours it engaged me more than anything I've seen in a while, and that includes some great films. The most amazing thing is that, reading the booklet with the DVD which updates what happened to their lives, a whole other film could be made about how their lives continued.

Updated list:

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only 3 left. This is the one I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

Shoah If Hoop Dreams made me tear up this is going to make me cry my eyes out isn't it.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione - 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

tokillthesunflower posted:

Your entire list depresses me, because I haven't heard of a single one of those movies. So you get to be depressed too.

If this was your criteria then I'm very thankful you didn't pick Shoah.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

dotCommunism I was going to choose Les Enfants du Paradis for tokillthesunflower as well. I'll give you Three Colors Trilogy because they are very beautiful films. There's no need to marathon film each film is entirely self contained, the connections are mostly thematic and a few little references here and there.

The Burmese Harp was definitely somber and very sad but luckily not quite depressing. The musical motif works very well with the film's style and themes to make the whole thing very poetic and lyrical. It doesn't set out out to shock or depress it's audience with the horrors of war but simply to portray a soldier's emotional reaction to them, and it does this very well. This has been a very good day for movies so far, even if they've made me kind of sad.

Updated list:

Fires on the Plain I've owned this for like 2 years but fear it'll depress me.

Shoah If Hoop Dreams made me tear up this is going to make me cry my eyes out isn't it.

Die Nibelungen Since I've watched the silents that were on my list I'll put this one on here. I think it's the most well regarded of the silents I haven't seen.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

poo poo, PA, that one only took four hours. Is that a record for you?

I don't know, it could be, most of the other films I've watched have been pretty long. The movie's only two hours and I've been itching to watch it for a while, and I got my recommendation pretty quick. If someone gives me Shoah I'll probably take a while to watch it because I'm not in the mood for that right now.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Skwirl watch High and Low it's quite good.

Godard is a pretentious rear end in a top hat, he's also clearly a smart man, a talented filmmaker and unwilling to elaborate on any of the dozen ideas thrown into this film. The film is strewn with half explained philosophical ideas, literary, filmic and cultural references and a story that doesn't develop in any meaningful way because it's really just a framework for Godard's rambling. In fairness, all of this stuff actually comes together in a rather coherent way, Godard's points, while mostly unsupported either by facts or emotional resonance, have some kind of substance that gives the viewer something to think about. I like some of the stuff Godard brings up, but it's surrounded by a lot of stuff I disagree with, or at least see no reason to consider seriously. It's funny that when the thrust of the film is a screed against cultural co-opting of history by the U.S. he himself borrows liberally from others to make his half-assed point. In short this film kind of annoyed me, but in a somewhat interesting way so I give it some credit. I would love for someone else to see this so I could discuss it, and Godard in general.

Updated list:

Die Nibelungen Since I've watched the silents that were on my list I'll put this one on here. I think it's the most well regarded of the silents I haven't seen.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture I watched the movie that came out last year but other than that I've never seen any of the movies or TV series.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Yo Peaceful Anarchy, swap TMP out for The Wrath of Khan. You can thank me later.

Will it make sense if I haven't seen any Star Trek though? I figured I had to see the first one first.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Skwirl posted:

how does new Goddard compare to old Goddard.

There's definitely some similarity in the films at their core but his style and method of expression has changed a bit, and mostly not for the better. 60s Godard I think had less to say for himself, his characters are constantly quoting and referencing, but still had things he wanted to express and fun things he wanted to try with cinema. I don't love 60s Godard but I enjoy most of those films and can see why some do. 70s Godard I haven't seen yet so I can't comment. 80s Godard is a bit more mature and has more meaningful things to say but can't really get beyond just throwing ideas out there. He also seems to have much less of a sense of fun, or interest in making a coherent movie for the audience, and the three films I've seen from this era are pretty frustrating to watch, though not always in the same way. Godard in Eloge d'amour is 80s Godard with a bit more refined style. As I said, the film is actually pretty coherent both in terms of plot and message, which makes it easier to follow but also easier to see how underdeveloped his ideas are. His experimentation is also less fun to watch and doesn't seem to serve the film so much as just be thrown in there. In short, my impression is that as Godard got older he got less fun and more disdainful of his audience. I'd like to see some of his 90s work to see if this bears out and especially some from the 70s because I'm really curious to see what maoist Godard is like but I don't think he's really using cinema in interesting ways in the 80s and beyond.

As an aside there was a trailer for the Eloge d'amour on the DVD which I checked out because I was curious what a trailer for something like this would look like. It was a series of pretentious critics quotes over images from the film and then one snippet of a scene with the only English dialogue spoken in the film. It's oddly appropriate but so ridiculous.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yeah, Meetin' WA is fun. I like Weekend, Pierrot and Alphaville, so I have some hope for 70s Godard, then I remember 2 or 3 Things and have doubts.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

marioinblack, go with Godfather Part II, as you say it's the next logical step.

As a document of a milestone in US culture it's certainly interesting. To hear the music, see the people and feel the atmosphere is certainly something worthwhile. At the same time I didn't need to see 4 hours of it. All the scenes about drugs and meditation just made me roll my eyes, the attempt at showing the impact on the community is really weak and the music was meh. The editing in the performance scenes is the only thing that stood out as filmically interesting.

Updated list:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture or Wrath of Khan I watched the movie that came out last year but other than that I've never seen any of the movies or TV series. Whoever picks this can tell me which to watch.

Nostalghia Tarkovsky's cool, guess I need to see this.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Lawrence of Arabia for Noxville. I feel like I'm choosing the same few films over and over but I guess it needs to be done.

Both parts of Die Nibelungen were really good. I really liked that it was broken down into 20 minute acts, as it made it feel like a brisk series of short films rather than one long one. It's one big mythical tale of adventure, intrigue and eventually revenge that's very entertaining. The first one was more adventurous and fun, while the second was darker and maybe a little drawn out. I don't see what made this Hitler's favourite film though. Other than the Huns being visually depicted as orcs they're just as loyal and true as the Germans and frankly more justified in their actions. To me it reads as pride and blind loyalty to the German race is its downfall. Really, though, they're protecting a coward who killed a German ubermensch and then their own king's nephew. What the gently caress?

Updated list:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture or Wrath of Khan I watched the movie that came out last year but other than that I've never seen any of the movies or TV series. Whoever picks this can tell me which to watch.

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler Replacing one long Lang silent with another.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild8.5/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

JVO, no reason to break tradition, I'm giving you Lawrence Of Arabia as well.

tokillthesunflower posted:

I'll go with this. Interested to hear more about African cinema.
I really don't think it's fair to speak about African cinema based on a single film, or even the 3 films I've seen. But one thing I will say is that it's strange how aware I am that I'm watching a different culture in a way that I don't get when watching other foreign films. There's an extra cultural barrier that I don't feel even when watching an Indian or Iranian film, for example, and I can't quite put my finger on it. The other thing the three films I've seen have in common is that they're about dealing with cultural invasion, but where the other two (Xala and Touki Bouki) were strictly about French colonialism this one is broader, set in a village dealing with an Islamic Imam trying to convert the villagers, the Catholic arms dealing white man and the native culture. I found this to be the most fascinating African film I've seen, and in fact one of the best films I've seen period. Semebene is an accomplished director and while some limitations are apparent the film is very nicely shot and edited. I can't judge the acting but the writing is sharp and incisive and the delivery is certainly good enough to make the film work. While many nuances are lost on me, both the plot and the the general message are crystal clear as Semebene emphatically makes his point about religious domination. I feel hardpressed to put into words how amazing I think this film is having just finished it, but it is definitely something everyone here should check out.

Updated list:

The Shootist I'm on a bit of a western kick this week and I chose this only because it's one I don't think I'd watch otherwise.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ok, I'm going to watch this right now. Hopefully, I can finally make you watch The Red Shoes, out in glorious BluRay tomorrow, when I come back.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The Red Shoes! go watch The Red Shoes penismightier.

Watched Wrath of Khan, it was OK. The first 20 minutes were really really cheesy but once it got going I'll admit I was drawn in and enjoyed myself. Nothing great or that I'd particularly want to watch again but it was fine and I'd wouldn't mind watching some other Star Trek movies. Also, I expected the Khaaaaan scream to be bigger and longer.

Updated list:

The Shootist I'm on a bit of a western kick this week and I chose this only because it's one I don't think I'd watch otherwise.

Kings of the Road I hear this is good. I liked Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire so maybe I'd like this.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Zogo you get One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest since it's my favourite of the bunch.

I made it! For the first 15 minutes or so I was thinking that this wasn't so bad, it's just interviews with people surely I could stand that. Then it hit me and every so often it would hit me again and I'd start sobbing not at anything in particular but just at the enormity of the whole thing. I just can't describe in words what it felt like, and that, in turn, makes me realize how little I can truly get of what these people experienced. Anyway, it's a very interesting film that's both too long and too short. It's too long because emotionally even 9 hours was trying and I'm not sure I could take more. On the other hand I was never bored or uninterested and I'm sure there are enough stories for it to last many hours longer. The editing of the subjects is at times very effective in providing a contrast between the different viewpoints and experiences, though it's also at times clearly biased. If there's one real criticism I have it's that I really don't like Lanzmann's interview style. He's very smug and aggressive, not just with the former Nazis and the Polish bystanders but sometimes with the Jewish victims as well, and while it does seem to get results at times there are others where I feel it makes the subjects hold back. It's not a huge deal, since it gives some indirect insight into Lanzmann's personal motivations, but it's the one thing that stood out to me. This is something everyone should watch but I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to.

Updated list:

Kings of the Road I hear this is good. I liked Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire so maybe I'd like this.

The Traveling Players It's Greek and the director Angelopoulos is apparently well regarded. Don't really know much about this. It's the highest film on the TSPDT list I haven't seen.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10