Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

#166 The Turning Point - This was nominated for eleven Oscars but won zero. It shares that record with The Color Purple. 3/9/24

Hidden gem or just failed Oscarbait?

Watched Face/Off (1997)

Missed this one back in the day, even though I would have loved this as a middle schooler. I certainly wasn't a stranger to R-rated action flicks. All I really knew was John Travolta (the good guy, Sean Archer) and Nic Cage (the bad guy, Castor Troy) surgically switch their faces for... reasons. This was a blast, obviously. It's everything you could want in an action movie--within the first 10 minutes, Troy is in a private jet racing down a runway while Archer is commandeering a helicopter and trying to stop him from taking off. And, of course, you get people jumping in the air with shooting with a pistol in each hand. I've never seen a John Woo film, but I knew that was a guarantee. But the real joy is watching the two leads have fun inhabiting the other characters. It's honestly kind of mind-bending, because it's not just a straight swap, it's Cage playing Travolta as he would play Cage and vice-versa. So you've got Cage establishing a wildly over-the-top Nic Cage bad guy, then pretending he's Travolta pretending to be Cage. Travolta, in particular, gets to poke fun at his own public image and persona. ("Well, think about me. This nose. This hair. This ridiculous chin.") Aside from the Archer character being a little bit of a central casting type before the body swap, Travolta and Cage absolutely killed this. Quite possibly the most fun movie I've scratched off the Shameful list so far.

LIST OF SHAME:
19. True Stories (1986) (added 09-30-22): I've been a diehard Talking Heads fan for almost as long as I've followed pop music, but I've never seen this musical comedy, David Byrne's sole directorial credit for a feature film.
21. The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) (added 04-03-23): A big influence on my favorite film, The Royal Tenenbaums.
26. Night on Earth (1991) (added 08-20-23): The only Jarmusch I haven't seen (aside from the music docs).
27. The New World (2005) (added 09-01-23): The biggest gap in my Terrence Malick viewing.
31. Belle de Jour (1967) (added 12-07-23): Perhaps a bit more of a conventional narrative than I'm used to from Buñuel.
33. The Apartment (1960) (added 01-15-24): Getting some Billy Wilder into the rotation.
34. Laura (1944) (added 02-08-24): Adding a little film noir to the mix.
35. Rio Bravo (1959) (added 03-03-24): I'll take a recommendation from John Carpenter any day.
37. Pink Flamingos (1972) (added 03-31-24): Let's get filthy.
(and introducing...)
38. First Blood (1982) (added 04-11-24): Never saw any Rambo movies growing up, despite being an '80s kid.

SHAME OVERCOME (28 and counting):
Midnight Cowboy (1969); E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982); The Prestige (2006); Singin' in the Rain (1952); Schindler's List (1993); Heat (1995); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000); Tootsie (1982); The Searchers (1956); Lawrence of Arabia (1962); Caddyshack (1980); Come and See (1985); Purple Rain (1984); Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939); M (1931); Planet of the Apes (1968); The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957); Brokeback Mountain (2005); Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989); A Streetcar Named Desire (1951); Plan 9 From Outer Space (1957); Godzilla (1954); The Iron Giant (1999); Tokyo Story (1953); A Woman Under the Influence (1974); The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928); McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971); Face/Off (1997)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
OK, Hard Boiled just got put on the watchlist based on the cover alone.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
On the the list it goes. Two-for-one. A Woo-fer two-fer.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What the hell, how long has it been on Tubi? It's been listed as totally on unavailable on JustWatch every time I've checked for at least a couple years.