Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

friendo55 posted:

Is this the John Huston film? Regardless, I choose this.

[Safe]
I completely understand why this launched Julianne Moore's career to the next level, being her first starring role. What a performance in what has turned into the kind of thing we just expect from her nowadays. Todd Haynes' meticulously crafted psychological drama about a housewife Carol White, who's uninteresting life gets complicated following the start of a 'fruit diet' with her friend Linda. As great as Moore is, the framing and the symbolism of it is the star for me - as well as the score which felt straight out of Lynch's Twin Peaks. The entire film, start to finish, is unsettling and nerve-wracking, and one of these days I'll have to sit myself down and watch it again. It deserves it.

LIST

Amy [2015 - 128mins] - (2018.05.19) - don't know much about her or her music but have heard great things about this film. (documentary)

Beauty and the Beast [1946 - 96mins] - **NEW** (2018.06.24) - I love the Disney film and I've had this for far too long not to have watched it. (Criterion)

The Best of Youth [2003 - 366mins!] - (2018.05.01) - if I'm ever going to commit to watch this one, it'll be from this list. (unwatched DVD)

Cactus Flower [1969 - 103mins] - **OLDEST** (2017.04.28) - my Walter Matthau choice, and with Ingrid Bergman! (Walter Matthau)

Irma La Douce [1963 - 135mins] - (2018.05.17) - another 2+hr Lemmon/Wilder collaboration .. & Shirley MacLaine returns! (Jack Lemmon)

The King of Marvin Gardens [1972 - 103mins] - (2018.05.24) - Jack Nicholson, Ellen Burstyn & Bruce Dern.. should be good! (blind-bought boxsets)

The Little Foxes [1941 - 115mins] - (2018.04.21) - from one of Bette's later roles in 'Sweet Charlotte to one of her earlier ones. (Bette Davis)

My Darling Clementine [1946 - 97mins] - (2017.09.02) - Westerns still aren't a top priority, even after loving just about every one I watch. (western)

Paprika [2006 - 90mins] - (2018.03.23) - I've only watched Millennium Actress from director Satoshi Kon... I want to see more. (animated)

Wings [1927 - 144mins] - (2018.02.18) - adding the first Best Picture winner to hopefully get this in before the Oscars ... [too late now] (unwatched bluray)

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), Fail-Safe (4.5/5), It Should Happen To You! (4/5), I Killed My Mother (4/5), Bringing Up Baby (5/5), Happiness (1/5), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (2.5/5), Russian Ark (4/5), Don't Look Now (3.5/5), Rome Open City (4/5), Let the Right One In (4.5/5), Woman in the Dunes (5/5), Brief Encounter (4.5/5), Night of the Living Dead (5/5), My Dinner with Andre (4/5), Inland Empire (1/5), A Matter of Life and Death (4.5/5), Broadcast News (4.5/5), The Last Detail (4/5), Run Lola Run (4/5), Chimes at Midnight (2/5), The Conformist (4.5/5), Castle in the Sky (5/5), Watership Down (4/5), Sophie's Choice (4/5), Ordet (2/5), Born on the Fourth of July (3.5/5), The Young Girls of Rochefort (4.5/5), Patton (4/5), Mon Oncle (4.5/5), The Big City (4.5/5), Only Yesterday (5/5), The Silence (4.5/5), Life Itself (4/5), Chicken Run (4/5), Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (4/5), The Last Emperor (3.5/5), In the Heat of the Night (4/5), Animal Crackers (3.5/5), Avanti! (3.5/5), Grizzly Man (4/5), Lola (4.5/5), Safe (4.5/5), [Total:193]

Safe is unfuckwithable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It never occurred to me someone would try to film The Dead

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ratedargh posted:

The way I wrote that is definitely clunky and I should have separated the two ideas more clearly. I think that is very clear in the movie about KMT being not communist, but I was also referencing mainland China (even though it's all set in Taiwan) as the family left and they, themselves, are certainly not communist but are suspected to be. Which winds up making the dad's arrest even more frustrating. This is all, of course, assuming I didn't miss something/or make a leap that is actually inaccurate (entirely possible!).

Edit: One thing I am excited to check out are the accompanying features, including Yang's note in the liner notes and a feature doc. One thing I love about Criterion and their contemporaries is when they provide very illuminating supplements that give that added context. Agreed, it's not necessarily required to appreciate the movie...but it adds an extra layer.

But how would that be a critique of communism?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

bitterandtwisted posted:

Guilty pleasure of mine:

Escape from New York
Arkham City the movie

In the far future of 1997, Manhattan has been transformed into a walled prison and the prisoners have to survive as best they can. The President's plane crash lands and it's up to Snake Plisskin to rescue him.

I love the premise and the setting.
The budget is not huge, but it's well utilised. We get some nice miniatures and matt paintings and a couple of cool locations like the theatre and train station, but unfortunately no giant severed Statue of Liberty head like on the poster.
One neat effect is the computer's 'wire frame' view of the city, which wasn't computerised at all - they used a model and a blacklight.

The cast are good. Snake gets a few allies and they all get time for characterisation. Isaac Hayes unfortunately doesn't have a huge amount of screentime and is a fairly generic mob boss.
It's got that good ol' 1980s post apocalyptic aesthetic. The Duke's main henchman in particular looks like he's straight off the set of the Road Warrior and there are fun touches like the Duke's car's chandeliers.

It's got quite a dour tone throughout, but it's not very violent (rated 15). I feel the premise and Snake's character call for a movie that's more camp or violent or both.

My List:

1) (highest ranked imdb) Avengers: Infinity War Major superhero fatigue.

2) (comedy) Bringing up Baby Nice kitty

3) (animation) The Lord of the Rings (1978) The books and Jackson's films were favourites of my childhood/teenage years and I'd like to see this oddball one.

4) (Academy Award winner) Slumdog Millionaire I've enjoyed Danny Boyle's other films

5) (foreign language) Cinema Paradiso This forum's namesake

6) (Monster) Dracula (1958) I've never seen a Hammer Horror

7) (Horror) Phantasm Another well known horror franchise I've never seen

8) (sci fi/fantasy) Logan's Run Feelin old

9) (epic) Once Upon a Time in America Leone doing a non-western

10) (wildcard) Quardophenia mods vs rockers

Watched (50): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid; Freaks (1932); The Abyss; Ben Hur (1959); Poltergeist (1982); Escape from New York

The much maligned sequel is both, and good

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Why do you think close encounters is bad?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah Ugetsu is often sold as a horror movie a la Onibaba or Kuroneko but it’s not at all. It’s a story that has ghosts in it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

edit: i dumbed here

I really like the way you write your reviews :)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

What’s wrong with muppet movies

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

R2 and Threepio definitely spend less time contemplating sexual assault. Or at least less time explicitly doing so

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

If you're suggesting a Denis film to a horror fan, it's hard not to start with Trouble Every Day

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zogo posted:

They Live by Night - It had more more romance than expected as we see a few domestic tragedies play out. Bowie (Farley Granger) must choose between his wife and his fellow convicts. Innocent love starts with a rushed $20 wedding followed by an unpleasant life on the run. This wedding did not portend a happy ending.

Have you seen altman's version of the same story, Thieves Like Us ?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zogo posted:

No, not yet. I still have many Altman films to see.

Short Cuts (1993) is one of the better films I've seen in recent years.

It's a less melodramatic take, with a lot more quiet study of domestic life and the rural US at the time. I prefer it but They Live By Night is dope too.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

One Sings, The Other Doesn't.

One of the most difficult moments comes when Pomme marries an Iranian man who presents himself as a feminist when in France, but, when she moves with him to Iran, quietly suffocates her by demanding she be a wife and nothing more. And yet, when she returns to France to have their child, she struggles to leave him. Varda's portrayal of this tortured ambiguity is so subtle and complex, and is aided by the time we've spent dropping in on her throughout the preceding years. We are intimately familiar with what she hoped for, what she expected, and what she sees in him, and of the time she's already spent, but also with the agonizing collapse of her self-imposed illusions about her life in Iran.

If you didn’t watch it, The Pleasure of Love in Iran is a short that I think was a cut segment from One Sings that is also on the criterion channel/in the box set. It’s like 6 minutes and interesting in its own right.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

twernt posted:

I've seen a lot of them with both subbed and dubbed (with the kids) and the dubs are generally good enough that they don't take you out of the movie. I'd even go so far as to say that the dubs for Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are actually really good.

Personally, I'd rather watch the subbed version of anything but I'm not going to gatekeep about it.

I think they’re all quite good except for Mononoke, actually, because Billy Bob Thornton just completely mails his performance in, he’s distractingly bad. Ponyo probably has the dub that diverges most from the subs

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 10, 2021

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zogo posted:

I'm sure it's a minority viewpoint but Terror of Mechagodzilla may be my favorite Godzilla film so far.

It’s definitely a contender for me

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chili posted:

5. Mother Bong joon ho's that is. I've seen everything else of his (apart from barking dogs, and that's just never gonna happen) , and have enjoyed everything.

Barking dogs is on Hulu atm

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chili posted:

Oh, it's not an availability issue. Ain't gonna go watching that movie. Okja was hard enough.

Ah, gotcha. It was very hard to find for a long time so I mistook your meaning.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chili posted:

No problem. Any interest in making a list and joining the party?

i do a similar sort of thing with a friend of mine but have been considering trying to up my watch rate, if i do i'll sit down and write a list

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

piratepilates posted:

Seeing Brando in what may be one of his prime acting roles was interesting, the only other movie I've seen him in is The Island of Dr. Moreau, … I definitely respect him as a director for his work on The Godfather, The Conversation, and Apocalpyse Now,

One of these can’t be true!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Some spicy picks in that bottom 5%

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DeimosRising posted:

Some spicy picks in that bottom 5%

actually you know what i'll just ask: why the HECK did you not like umbrellas of cherbourg?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

bucket of blood has a joke about beatniks eating health food that absolutely blew my mind a little when i saw it.

"“soy and wheat germ pancakes, organic guava nectar, calcium lactate and tomato juice, and garbanzo omelettes sprinkled with smoked yeast.” in 1959

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zogo posted:

The Spider's Stratagem - A son is trying to piece together what happened to his father many years earlier. It's a mystery that dates back to 1936. He was believed to be murdered by fascists but the truth is more complicated. The son leaves no stone unturned and it's like a documentary at times. The whole film is wrapped up in a strangely haunted atmosphere. Ultimately, it's a reminder that any political ideology is capable of subterfuge.

i glanced at the wikipedia and does this seriously end with a reference to Mussolini making the trains run on time and is that played as a joke or what?