Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Caiman I'm recommending Spirited Away. Partly because it is a great film ,in my opinion Miyazaki's best, and partly because it's the only one left on your list that I've seen :sweatdrop:

I'm finally adding my shameful list because I have a terrible habit of buying films which I hear both good things about and are critically acclaimed and then never actually watch them. So it's easier for me to go through what I own before slugging through the greats that i don't.

quote:

Apocalypse Now - I've only recently started to really get interested in war films and this name always seems to be high on war film lists.

The Big Lebowski - I've yet to see a Coen's Brothers film and this is currently the only one I own.

Blade Runner - I own Blade Runner: The Final Cut on Blu Ray. Is this the best version? No idea but I count Alien as one of my favourite films so I have no idea why I haven't seen this before.

Don't Look Now - I saw the last hour of this when I was 13 and the final scene terrified me. Never managed to get around to watching the whole thing.

Eastern Promises - I love Cronenberg, Mortensen and Watts. No excuse why I haven't seen this yet.

Hard Candy - Does this belong in a shameful or great movie list? While I know it's a divisive movie most people I know really like it and I really enjoyed Slade's work on 30 Days of Night.

Hausu - The hype for this film has been going around for the last while. Bought the DVD, never watched.

Inland Empire - The only film by Lynch I've seen is Blue Velvet and I love it. No excuse not to have seen this by now.

Lady Vengeance - I loved Oldboy but haven't seen Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. I hear conflicting accounts over whether this is the best in the series.

Mullholland Drive - Same reason as Inland Empire.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Adhesion you should watch North By Northwest. It's Hitchcock and Cary Grant on top form so I think your feelings about it will come true.

I watched Eastern Promises which I thought was pretty drat great. The plot offers very few surprises but Mortensen does such a fantastic job in the role as Nikolai that it doesn't really matter, Watts was also pretty great but I felt as if she could have been given a bit more to do. Cronenberg's history of body horror shines through with some graphic scenes and an extremely brutal fight scene though overall he's a lot more refrained than I'm used to. I'm interested where the announced sequel ends up taking things but I hope Nikolai's backstory doesn't end up being explained, I like how they just hinted at things rather than flat out explaining everything.

quote:

01: Apocalypse Now - I've only recently started to really get interested in war films and this name always seems to be high on war film lists.

02: The Big Lebowski - I've yet to see a Coen's Brothers film and this is currently the only one I own.

03: Blade Runner - I own Blade Runner: The Final Cut on Blu Ray. Is this the best version? No idea but I count Alien as one of my favourite films so I have no idea why I haven't seen this before.

04: Don't Look Now - I saw the last hour of this when I was 13 and the final scene terrified me. Never managed to get around to watching the whole thing.

05: Hard Candy - Does this belong in a shameful or great movie list? While I know it's a divisive movie most people I know really like it and I really enjoyed Slade's work on 30 Days of Night.

06: Hausu - The hype for this film has been going around for the last while. Bought the DVD, never watched.

07: Inland Empire - The only film by Lynch I've seen is Blue Velvet and I love it. No excuse not to have seen this by now.

08: Lady Vengeance - I loved Oldboy but haven't seen Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. I hear conflicting accounts over whether this is the best in the series.

09: Mullholland Drive - Same reason as Inland Empire.

10: Raging Bull - After watching Shutter Island earlier in the year I realised I hadn't seen half as many Scorsese films as I thought I had.

Watched Films - Eastern Promises

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

CloseFriend everybody could do with watching more Bruce Lee so you should watch Enter The Dragon. It's got Bruce Lee invading a kung fu island with a cool 70s style and great fights.

I finally got around to watching The Big Lebowski and drat it was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. There's just so much great about it, Bridges is amazing as The Dude but it's hard to single him out as everyone else puts in just a good a performance, the direction is great, the dialogue is hilarious and ridiculously quotable, just thinking about the scene with The Dude in the bathtub gets me laughing again. I was also surprised with how many other films and shows I've watched have paid homage to it without me realising, the scene with Brandt showing The Dude Lebowski's awards in particular stood out. I'll probably give it another watch within the next week or so since it feels as is if it's a movie that gets better with repeated viewings.

Updated List:

quote:

01: Apocalypse Now - I've only recently started to really get interested in war films and this name always seems to be high on war film lists.

02: Blade Runner - I own Blade Runner: The Final Cut on Blu Ray. Is this the best version? No idea but I count Alien as one of my favourite films so I have no idea why I haven't seen this before.

03: Don't Look Now - I saw the last hour of this when I was 13 and the final scene terrified me. Never managed to get around to watching the whole thing.

04: Hard Candy - Does this belong in a shameful or great movie list? While I know it's a divisive movie most people I know really like it and I really enjoyed Slade's work on 30 Days of Night.

05: Hausu - The hype for this film has been going around for the last while. Bought the DVD, never watched.

06: Inland Empire - The only film by Lynch I've seen is Blue Velvet and I love it. No excuse not to have seen this by now.

07: Lady Vengeance - I loved Oldboy but haven't seen Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. I hear conflicting accounts over whether this is the best in the series.

08: Mullholland Drive - Same reason as Inland Empire.

09: Raging Bull - After watching Shutter Island earlier in the year I realised I hadn't seen half as many Scorsese films as I thought I had.

10: Rashômon - I've yet to see a Kurosawa film and this is the only one I own.

Watched Films - Eastern Promises // The Big Lebowski

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

RussianGuyovich you should watch Aliens. In my opinion it's Cameron's best film, a hell of an action film and all round good fun.

I finally got to watch Rashomon, my first Kurosawa, which is such a beautifully shot film. If I had to pick one scene out of the film it'd be the fight scene as told by the woodcutter, brilliantly choreographed and shot and I loved how pathetic it looked after the other interpretations of it. Mifune put in an amazing performance as The Bandit as well, I'll probably make my way through all of his and Kurosawa's collaborations as soon as I can get my hands on them. I'm kind of glad that so far "the classics" that I've seen have managed to live up to their status.

Updated List:

quote:

02: Blade Runner - I own Blade Runner: The Final Cut on Blu Ray. Is this the best version? No idea but I count Alien as one of my favourite films so I have no idea why I haven't seen this before.

03: Don't Look Now - I saw the last hour of this when I was 13 and the final scene terrified me. Never managed to get around to watching the whole thing.

04: Hard Candy - Does this belong in a shameful or great movie list? While I know it's a divisive movie most people I know really like it and I really enjoyed Slade's work on 30 Days of Night.

05: Hausu - The hype for this film has been going around for the last while. Bought the DVD, never watched.

06: Inland Empire - The only film by Lynch I've seen is Blue Velvet and I love it. No excuse not to have seen this by now.

07: Lady Vengeance - I loved Oldboy but haven't seen Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. I hear conflicting accounts over whether this is the best in the series.

08: Mullholland Drive - Same reason as Inland Empire.

09: Raging Bull - After watching Shutter Island earlier in the year I realised I hadn't seen half as many Scorsese films as I thought I had.

Watched Films - Eastern Promises // The Big Lebowski // Rashomon //