Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Skeesix, since you think it is in B&W, go get Rear Window. If you haven't seen any Hitchcock before, it's a good place to start.

1) The Seven Samurai: I rented this one from Blockbuster Online a few years ago. Tried to watch it at 3 in the morning and fell asleep. Thought the picture looked lovely and I decided to wait for the HD-DVD Blu-Ray instead of holding up one of my BBO slots to watch the movie later.

2) The Seventh Seal: I actually imported this one from the UK on Blu-Ray about a year before the Criterion American release. It sounds lovely but "deep" movies tend to intimidate me before I force myself to sit through them. With the torrent of movies coming out and what I have in my backlog, I've just been putting it off.

3) 8 1/2: Mix the reasons for The Seven Samurai/The Seventh Seal together and you'll have the reason why I haven't watched 8 1/2 yet.

3) The Man With No Name Trilogy: I have them sitting on my shelf, I have them sitting on my hard drive. I'm not the biggest fan of westerns so it has always been one of those "one day I'm going to marathon through them in one sitting...when I have nothing to watch" things.

4) Once Upon A Time In The West: For some reason I have clumped this movie in with the Man With No Name Trilogy in my mind. I was waiting to watch those before I watched this.

5) Lord Of The Rings Trilogy: I'm a loving idiot. Everybody kept asking me about these movies when they first came out and how I must like them since I'm nerdy looking they are fantasy. So I avoided them out of spite.

6) Aguirre: The Wrath of God: I went through a big Herzog kick a few years ago but stopped before I watched this movie. Why I didn't watch Aguirre before his remake of Nosferatu is beyond me.

7) Lawrence of Arabia: Waiting for the Blu-Ray.

8) Barry Lyndon: One of the few Kubrick movies I have left to watch. I'm intrigued since he used only natural light when he filmed it but I've never tried to track it down.

9) Solaris: I haven't seen any Andrei Tarkovsky yet.

10) Woodstock: No excuse for this one. I own it on Blu-Ray, I've watched some of the song outtakes but I've never sat down and watched the whole thing. The runtime always make me grab a different movie over this one.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bad movie knight posted:

There are at least nine films on your list that you would mind less than I Am Legend. Seriously. Listen to my dad? Listen to the nerd rage, man; avoid this fucker like the plague. It's not terrible, but a man like you would find little in it to appreciate, especially with the bullshit ending. Keep in mind, this is Ben Lyons' favorite film.

Did you see the alternative ending/cut? It's still not a great movie but it is much better than the theatrical. Also Will Smith acted his rear end off in it. That's something to appreciate.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 1, 2010

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
dotCommunism - go with Even Dwarfs Started Small

The Seventh Seal - Tells you how loving lazy I am since this was from the first page but I thought it was great. I heard alot of people say there was humor in this one but the only thing I thought was kind of funny in a extremely hosed up way was when the Blacksmith made the actor dance like a bear. Some sections felt a little :words: but it was all needed. Also the music reminded me of The Twilight Zone for some reason. Gave it a 83/100 on Criticker

My list:

The Seven Samurai: I rented this one from Blockbuster Online a few years ago. Tried to watch it at 3 in the morning and fell asleep. Thought the picture looked lovely and I decided to wait for the HD-DVD Blu-Ray instead of holding up one of my BBO slots to watch the movie later.

The Seventh Seal
City Lights: I have never watched a Chaplin movie and I have heard this is his best.

8 1/2: Mix the reasons for The Seven Samurai/The Seventh Seal (It sounds lovely but "deep" movies tend to intimidate me before I force myself to sit through them.) together and you'll have the reason why I haven't watched 8 1/2 yet.

The Man With No Name Trilogy: I have them sitting on my shelf, I have them sitting on my hard drive. I'm not the biggest fan of westerns so it has always been one of those "one day I'm going to marathon through them in one sitting...when I have nothing to watch" things.

Once Upon A Time In The West: For some reason I have clumped this movie in with the Man With No Name Trilogy in my mind. I was waiting to watch those before I watched this.

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy: I'm a loving idiot. Everybody kept asking me about these movies when they first came out and how I must like them since I'm nerdy looking they are fantasy. So I avoided them out of spite.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God: I went through a big Herzog kick a few years ago but stopped before I watched this movie. Why I didn't watch Aguirre before his remake of Nosferatu is beyond me.

Lawrence of Arabia: Waiting for the Blu-Ray but I do have a HD copy on my DVR.

Barry Lyndon: One of the few Kubrick movies I have left to watch. I'm intrigued since he used only natural light when he filmed it but I've never tried to track it down. (And I do have a Netflix account so I can watch it in HD)

Solaris: I haven't seen any Andrei Tarkovsky yet.

Woodstock: No excuse for this one. I own it on Blu-Ray, I've watched some of the song outtakes but I've never sat down and watched the whole thing. The runtime always make me grab a different movie over this one.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 29, 2010

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Zogo posted:

I've never been a fan of watching classic anthologies in quick succession. I like to let them sink in for a few weeks at least. But you could do all three I guess or just A Fistful of Dollars.

Guess I'll spread these over three nights.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TrixRabbi posted:

They get progressively better as you go along. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is one of my all time favorite films.

As for Apocalypse Now, I'm at college and the library only has a VHS copy. Since it's not on Netflix Instant I'm waiting for them to get it in on DVD from a inter-library loan.

If you can, grab the Blu-Ray. It is presented in it's theatrical 2:35:1 aspect ratio (first time on home video) and looks goddamn amazing.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Atheistdeals.com posted:

6. Mulholland Dr. - The only Lynch movie I have seen is Blue Velvet, which I loved. Not sure why I haven't seen any of his other films.

It was between that and Dirty Harry (since those were the only two I've seen off your list) and I enjoyed Mulholland Dr. much more.

My assignment was The Man With No Name Trilogy. I watched A Fistful Of Dollars (in Italian) yesterday morning, For A Few More Dollars (in English) yesterday evening and The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (in English - Extended Cut) this afternoon. I enjoyed all of them despite not being a big Western fan. A Fistful Of Dollars had more humor than I was expecting. I had a little trouble following the story but I think that was because of the speed of certain subtitles (although I am glad I watched it in Italian). For A Few More Dollars was my favorite. I loved the story. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly disappointed me. It felt extremely bloated and I couldn't disconnect from what had happened in the previous movie (mainly with Lee Van Cleef's character). I was surprised to read that people liked it so much more than For A Few More Dollars. Rated on Criticker; A Fistful Of Dollars - 79/100, For A Few More Dollars - 80/100, The Good The Bad And The Ugly - 79/100

My list:

The Seven Samurai: I rented this one from Blockbuster Online a few years ago. Tried to watch it at 3 in the morning and fell asleep. Thought the picture looked lovely and I decided to wait for the HD-DVD Blu-Ray instead of holding up one of my BBO slots to watch the movie later.

City Lights: I have never watched a Chaplin movie and I have heard this is his best.

8 1/2: Mix the reasons for The Seven Samurai/The Seventh Seal (It sounds lovely but "deep" movies tend to intimidate me before I force myself to sit through them.) together and you'll have the reason why I haven't watched 8 1/2 yet.

Metropolis Restored: I'm 0-2 when it comes to silent films (fell asleep twice during Nosferatu and once during The General). I've heard a ton of good things about this one and Netflix has it available for streaming in HD.

Once Upon A Time In The West: For some reason I have clumped this movie in with the Man With No Name Trilogy in my mind. I was waiting to watch those before I watched this.

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy: I'm a loving idiot. Everybody kept asking me about these movies when they first came out and how I must like them since I'm nerdy looking they are fantasy. So I avoided them out of spite.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God: I went through a big Herzog kick a few years ago but stopped before I watched this movie. Why I didn't watch Aguirre before his remake of Nosferatu is beyond me.

Barry Lyndon: One of the few Kubrick movies I have left to watch. I'm intrigued since he used only natural light when he filmed it but I've never tried to track it down. (And I do have a Netflix account so I can watch it in HD)

Woodstock: No excuse for this one. I own it on Blu-Ray, I've watched some of the song outtakes but I've never sat down and watched the whole thing. The runtime always make me grab a different movie over this one.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, The Man With No Name Trilogy

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 18, 2010

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Vidyatendo, you get Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas. The memes from it have nothing to do with the overall plot and it is a fun ride of a movie. I imagine you'll be getting Pulp Fiction next anyways.

----------

I watched two more movies from my list before getting around to my assignment of Once Upon A Time In The West.

Barry Lyndon - Watched this one because it was expiring from Netflix on the first of the new year. I enjoyed this movie alot. People weren't kidding when they said you could pause the movie and get a screenshot that looked like a painting (at least when the camera stopped movie). I understand how people could look at it as slow but I thought it fit the time period and I the only thing I was disappointed with was the ending (although there was no need to go any further) and the surprise of the death of his son spoiled by the voiceover. 86/100

Metropolis - Decided to put my Netflix account on hold so I wanted to knock this one out. There were good chunks of this movie where I was fighting sleep for all I was worth but eventually it dragged me in and I was in awe at the scope/visuals of it. Enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. 80/100

Once Upon A Time In The West - This is the movie that convinced me that the Western just isn't for me. Much tighter than The Good, The Bad & The Ugly but the story didn't pull me in like A Fistful Of Dollars. I don't know what else to say about this one. It was beautiful to look at and I'm glad Sergio Leone eased up on the closeups. 79/100

----------

My list:

*new* Alien: Fell through the cracks with me. Never thought about tracking it down until the Blu-Ray came out. I remember my Dad watching part of one of these while on vacation when I was a kid and it scared the hell out of me.

*new* Dazed And Confused: Sitting on my shelf, waiting for me to watch it. Bought this when HD-DVD died. Remember seeing part of it on TV and I enjoyed it.

*new* Annie Hall: Haven't watched any Woody Allen yet and this one is sitting on my DVR.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (83/100), The Man With No Name Trilogy (79/100 - 80/100 - 79/100), Once Upon A Time In The West (79/100)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

marioinblack posted:

7. Ratatouille - One of the few Pixar movies I haven't caught.

Out of the Pixar movies I have seen, this one is my favorite.

-----

Finally got Alien in from the library and I watched the theatrical cut. It didn't click with me. Not very surprising since I had the same type of reaction to another horror classic (The Thing). The story was deeper and more interesting then it first let on and it was shot beautifully but it just didn't catch my interest. Overall, I was mainly bored by it. Gave it a 69/100 on Criticker

-----

My list:

*new* Back To The Future: I think I seen part of 2 on tv (is that the one with the hoverboard scene?) but I have never felt the need to track this down.

Dazed And Confused: Sitting on my shelf, waiting for me to watch it. Bought this when HD-DVD died. Remember seeing part of it on TV and I enjoyed it.

Annie Hall: Haven't watched any Woody Allen yet and this one is sitting on my DVR.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (83/100), The Man With No Name Trilogy (79/100 - 80/100 - 79/100), Once Upon A Time In The West (79/100), Alien (69/100)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 4, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
PDMChubby, you get Napoléon just so I'm not alone in having to watch hours and hours of movie on one pick.

----------

MariusLecter posted:

[Lord Of The Rings]
Get this out of the way before you die a spiteful nerd guy who likes fantasy stuff.

The funny thing about that is that I have never been a fantasy guy or even interested in that type of stuff. It reminds me of when I was growing up and people would see me loving around, for most of the day, on the computer. They would always say "hey, you really like computers...you ought to be a computer programmer!". What? No, those are two separate things.

The Lord Of The Rings: I now understand why this is so beloved by alot of people. It feels just like a kid's movie (story/dialogue/music) and I don't mean that in a snooty type of way. It looked beautiful and the quality of actors they were able to put together is stunning. That said, it didn't pull me in.

The Fellowship Of The Ring: This was my favorite of the series. It was interesting, tightly put together and lighthearted. Liv Tyler felt miscasted though. Made me think that maybe I was wrong to put these movies off for as long as I did. Gave it a 70/100 on Criticker.

The Two Towers: And this movie confirmed that I wasn't. The whole thing felt like filler and I wasn't surprised to find out (after the fact) that the original plan was to make two movies. I did like the Gollum subplot but I loving hated that they made the dwarf into the comic relief. :ughh: at the elf surfing a shield down the stairs while shooting arrows. And the siege reminded me of Army Of Darkness. Gave it a 67/100 on Criticker.

Return Of The King: They were unable to get me back with this one. Gollum became alot less interesting. The whole fire pyre scene was retarded I was bored throughout but it was better than The Two Towers. It seemed disjointed and the ending went on for way too long. Gave it a 69/100 on Criticker.

----------

My list:

Back To The Future: I think I seen part of 2 on tv (is that the one with the hoverboard scene?) but I have never felt the need to track this down.

Dazed And Confused: Sitting on my shelf, waiting for me to watch it. Bought this when HD-DVD died. Remember seeing part of it on TV and I enjoyed it.

*new* The Maltese Falcon: Never got around to watching it. I've seen three Bogart movies so far (Treasure Of Sierra Madre was one of the greatest films I have ever seen, In A Lonely Place I liked, Casablanca I didn't) but I have never been a big noir fan.

Annie Hall: Haven't watched any Woody Allen yet and this one is sitting on my DVR.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (83/100), The Man With No Name Trilogy (79/100 - 80/100 - 79/100), Once Upon A Time In The West (79/100), Alien (69/100), The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (70/100 - 67/100 - 69/100)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 2, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Peaceful Anarchy, you get Barbarella. Although I wouldn't call it a good movie.

----------

Annie Hall. I had no idea what I was walking into with this one. The unconventional methods at the beginning (at least compared to other movies), put me off at first but after my brain finally started to walk in step with the movie, I enjoyed it. His overbearing style and overacting worked extremely well with the plot. I could write more but I won't. Gave it a 79/100 on Criticker.

----------

My list:

Back To The Future: I think I seen part of 2 on tv (is that the one with the hoverboard scene?) but I have never felt the need to track this down.

The Maltese Falcon: Never got around to watching it. I've seen three Bogart movies so far (Treasure Of Sierra Madre was one of the greatest films I have ever seen, In A Lonely Place I liked, Casablanca I didn't) but I have never been a big noir fan.

The Third Man: I bought it day one when it was released on Blu-Ray by Criterion but I have never gotten around to watching it. No real excuse. It just never crosses my mind when I go for a movie.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (83/100), The Man With No Name Trilogy (79/100 - 80/100 - 79/100), Once Upon A Time In The West (79/100), Alien (69/100), The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (70/100 - 67/100 - 69/100), Annie Hall (79/100)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

VorpalBunny posted:

Let me guess - TMC HD's month of Oscar movies. My DVR couldn't hold everything I wanted to record! What would we do without DVRs?

Actually, I think it was from back when HDNet or HDMov was showing it but I have been loving TCM with the DVR.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Electronico6, I haven't seen any of those, so I'll give you Solaris which is also on my list.

----------

Lawrence Of Arabia. When I first started watching this, I was afraid it was going to be another sacred cow (emphasis on cow) but as soon as the overly long overture, motorcycle riding and funeral were over, I was sucked in. Peter O'Toole was electrifying, enough to keep my attention during the beautiful desert shots, and the rest of the movie was perfectly cast. The movie kind of lost me in the second act and I am still rolling around the ending in my head but it was still one of the best movies I have ever seen. That shot of Lawrence walking over the wind blown desert after the first meeting with the Prince was wild. Gave it a 92/100 on Criticker.

----------

My list:

The Maltese Falcon: Never got around to watching it. I've seen three Bogart movies so far (Treasure Of Sierra Madre was one of the greatest films I have ever seen, In A Lonely Place I liked, Casablanca I didn't) but I have never been a big noir fan.

Black Narcissus: I actually imported this from the UK way before the American Criterion Blu-Ray release. I kind of forgot about it but watching Peeping Tom reminded me how I need to get off my rear end and watch it.

The Third Man: I bought it day one when it was released on Blu-Ray by Criterion but I have never gotten around to watching it. No real excuse. It just never crosses my mind when I go for a movie.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (83/100), The Man With No Name Trilogy (79/100 - 80/100 - 79/100), Once Upon A Time In The West (79/100), Alien (69/100), The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (70/100 - 67/100 - 69/100), Annie Hall (79/100), Lawrence Of Arabia (92/100)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 18, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
TenSpadesBeTrump, I was really hoping that somebody else would have posted by the time I finished watching the movie since the only movie I am slightly familiar with on your list is Hearts And Minds. So, I'll give you that one.

----------

Dazed And Confused. It was nice to see the movie that Geeks And Freaks ripped off wholesale. It was also strange to recognize so many actors/actresses. Beyond that, I wasn't a fan. It seemed empty. No plot held together with one liners and nostalgia fueled by a ton of songs. Not my cup of tea. Gave it a 67/100 on Criticker.

----------

My list:

Paths Of Glory: One of the few Kubrick movies I haven't seen yet (only ones I have left are Fear And Desire, The Killing and Spartacus [which I have fallen asleep during three times now])

Black Narcissus: I actually imported this from the UK way before the American Criterion Blu-Ray release. I kind of forgot about it but watching Peeping Tom reminded me how I need to get off my rear end and watch it.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (83/100), The Man With No Name Trilogy (79/100 - 80/100 - 79/100), Once Upon A Time In The West (79/100), Alien (69/100), The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (70/100 - 67/100 - 69/100), Annie Hall (79/100), Lawrence Of Arabia (92/100), Dazed And Confused (67/100)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 24, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TannhauserGate posted:

I had to watch it in grade school, you have to watch it now.

Zogo needs a movie suggestion from you.

Tannhauser, you get Inglourious Basterds. It's in close running with Pulp Fiction to be my favorite Tarantino film.

----------

The Third Man - Surprisingly light-hearted, from some of the dialog I found humorous and the strange acoustic guitar soundtrack, which I wasn't expecting. I was slightly disappointed about Wells, both that he was the big surprise - which was spoiled for me a million times over before I was able to see this and the lack of screen time he had but the movie is still extremely fun. It isn't a masterpiece but I do feel like it reached its full potential. Glad I finally sat down and watched it (and the Criterion Blu-Ray is stunning). Gave it a 86/100 on Criticker

----------

My list:

Paths Of Glory: One of the few Kubrick movies I haven't seen yet (only ones I have left are Fear And Desire, The Killing and Spartacus [which I have fallen asleep during three times now])

Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid: I'm still not a big western fan but I have been steamrolling through all of the greats in this thread. Been meaning to watch this one so I could read William Goldman's Adventures In The Screen Trade. A book I have also been putting off since at the end, it has the screenplay to this movie.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (83/100), The Man With No Name Trilogy (79/100 - 80/100 - 79/100), Once Upon A Time In The West (79/100), Alien (69/100), The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (70/100 - 67/100 - 69/100), Annie Hall (79/100), Lawrence Of Arabia (92/100), Dazed And Confused (67/100), The Third Man (86/100)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 28, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Atheistdeals.com, I'll give you The Shawshank Redemption. Alot of people give it poo poo because alot of new or causal movie watchers declare it the best movie ever and it is a little sappy but overall, it is a great movie.

----------

Aguirre: The Wrath Of God - It seems like in every early Werner Herzog movie, he does some weird poo poo with animals that makes me uncomfortable and slightly brings down the movie for me. This time with the horse and the spider monkeys. That said, I think the thing I like most about them is how he throws caution to the wind. Aguirre has the amazing raft scenes. I read about how Klaus Kinski was genius in this movie but I thought he had the same issue as Jack Nicholson in The Shining. He seems batshit crazy in the beginning. Still a really strong performance. It is also interesting to see how much this movie inspired Apocalypse Now. I really want to give Fitzcarraldo another watch after watching this one. Gave it a 86/100 on Criticker.

----------

My list:

El Topo: I was going to list The Holy Mountain but this one came first and I heard it is good to watch as a way to ease somebody into Alejandro Jodorowsky.

Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid: I'm still not a big western fan but I have been steamrolling through all of the greats in this thread. Been meaning to watch this one so I could read William Goldman's Adventures In The Screen Trade. A book I have also been putting off since at the end, it has the screenplay to this movie.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (83/100), The Man With No Name Trilogy (79/100 - 80/100 - 79/100), Once Upon A Time In The West (79/100), Alien (69/100), The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (70/100 - 67/100 - 69/100), Annie Hall (79/100), Lawrence Of Arabia (92/100), Dazed And Confused (67/100), The Third Man (86/100), Aguirre: The Wrath Of War (85/100)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 15, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
TenSpadesBeTrump, I haven't seen any of the movies on your list. I guess I'll give you The Idiots since I believe it was the first Dogma 95 movie. Sounds interesting.

----------

City Lights - This was my first Chaplin film and the first silent film I haven't had the overwhelming urge to go to sleep during. The first scene almost put me off (I didn't find it that funny and the copy I had had weird, almost buzzing, noise for the people giving the speech at the beginning which made me wonder if the whole movie had it [it didn't]) but it sucked me in. Funny, charming and surprisingly deep. Although I was surprised at how effeminate Charlie Chaplin acted during certain parts of the movie. Gave it a 88/100 on Criticker

----------

My list:

The Great Dictator: I guess I'll make this my Charlie Chaplin slot until I run through the movies I have of his.

El Topo: I was going to list The Holy Mountain but this one came first and I heard it is good to watch as a way to ease somebody into Alejandro Jodorowsky.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (83/100), The Man With No Name Trilogy (79/100 - 80/100 - 79/100), Once Upon A Time In The West (79/100), Alien (69/100), The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (70/100 - 67/100 - 69/100), Annie Hall (79/100), Lawrence Of Arabia (92/100), Dazed And Confused (67/100), The Third Man (86/100), Aguirre: The Wrath Of War (85/100), City Lights (88/100)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 20, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
drat, I was hoping to finish mine before somebody could give meanmikhail his next movie. Really wanted to give him All That Jazz.

Hra Mormo, you get Psycho. It really isn't a slasher film and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

--------

Paths Of Glory. I don't know if I was in a bad mood or what but this one didn't impress me at all. The whole thing felt extremely heavy handed and it reminded me of Lolita. An idea that was attempted before its time, before it could truly be given the treatment it deserved. Honestly, the only reason I didn't fall asleep during this like I did during Spartacus multiple times is because the runtime was short. It wasn't all bad. I thought it was interesting to see two things that were used in his later movies (Col. Dax walking through the trenches reminded me of The Shining maze and the ballroom scene reminded me of Eyes Wide Shut). I also thought he did good with the charge scene (hard to believe they set off explosions so close to the actors). Gave it a 69/100 on Criticker.

--------

My list:

The Great Dictator: I guess I'll make this my Charlie Chaplin slot until I run through the movies I have of his.

*NEW* Midnight Cowboy: I don't know much about this one besides it being the only X rated movie to win Best Picture.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (83/100), The Man With No Name Trilogy (79/100 - 80/100 - 79/100), Once Upon A Time In The West (79/100), Alien (69/100), The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (70/100 - 67/100 - 69/100), Annie Hall (79/100), Lawrence Of Arabia (92/100), Dazed And Confused (67/100), The Third Man (86/100), Aguirre: The Wrath Of War (85/100), City Lights (88/100), Paths Of Glory (69/100)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 31, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Peaceful Anarchy, my Dad woke me up at 11 at night when I was a kid to watch The Thing With Two Heads on HBO (or one of those pay channels). I don't remember a thing about it but you get to watch it!

--------

Back To The Future. Hokey but enjoyable. I get why people like it so much. It has so many details packed into it and Micheal J Fox is extremely charismatic (same with Christopher Lloyd). Product placement is extremely blatant. The mom subplot is extremely strange, I actually thought they were going to have Marty sleep with his mom due to the Futurama episode and erase his older brother/sister. Also the Marvin Berry thing was beyond lame and didn't need to be in there. The ending had so much tension. Gave it a 78/100 on Critcker.

--------

My list:

*new* Head: I don't know how good this is suppose to be but I want to start digging into my America Lost And Found: The BBS Story Criterion boxset (I've only seen The Last Picture Show out of it)

Midnight Cowboy: I don't know much about this one besides it being the only X rated movie to win Best Picture.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (83/100), The Man With No Name Trilogy (79/100 - 80/100 - 79/100), Once Upon A Time In The West (79/100), Alien (69/100), The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (70/100 - 67/100 - 69/100), Annie Hall (79/100), Lawrence Of Arabia (92/100), Dazed And Confused (67/100), The Third Man (86/100), Aguirre: The Wrath Of War (85/100), City Lights (88/100), Paths Of Glory (69/100), Back To The Future (78/100)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 4, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hra Mormo posted:

Wait, there's an X rated movie that won Best Picture?

Yeah although it isn't X like pornographic and was later given a R rating.

quote:

Upon initial review by the Motion Picture Association of America, Midnight Cowboy received a "Restricted" ("R") rating (Persons under 16 not admitted unless accompanied by parent or adult guardian). However, after consulting with a psychologist, executives at United Artists were told to accept an "X" rating (Persons under 17 will not be admitted) due to the homosexual frame of reference and its possible influence upon youngsters. The film was released with an X.

(...)

There was controversy from critics who felt the MPAA "X" rating for the film was too harsh.The MPAA later broadened the requirements for the "R" rating to allow more content, and in addition raised the age restriction from sixteen to seventeen. The film was later rated "R" for a reissue in 1971 with no edits made. The R rating for the film remains to this day.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ratedargh posted:

I really don't know who Irreversible was targeted towards. It's a gimmicky movie with intense violence and a harsh rape scene. It's an interesting stylistic choice to show the climax/payoff/what-have-you and slowly reveal what led to it but the characters are poorly defined, it's all surface. That's the problem with the movie, less so than the nauseating camerawork and the repulsive and ugly imagery. That imagery, despite feeling hollow, is effective and it should be sickening to the viewer. It's not a lighthearted romp. But really it seems like the characterization was an afterthought to excessive violence and the rape. Noe shocks but he doesn't make a great movie. It's unpleasant and nothing I'd recommend or watch again.

Irreversible is one of my favorites. It is the type of movie that demands you to analyze it as you watch. It completely turns the revenge exploitation genre on its head.

You focused on the wrong thing.

(Hope this isn't too disjointed. It has been awhile since I watched it.)

After the monologue from the character from Gaspar Noé's first movie and seeing the aftermath of what happened, the movie begins with the main character completely out of control trying to find somebody. His friend tries to stop him but he pushes on. The camera's movements are tied to the main character's rage. Since it is the end, it drunkly sways about. As he searches for the man, we only get to see glimpses of the depravity going on. It's disorienting. Also notice how the camera movements slow as the movie progresses.

Think about most revenge movies. Our main character should be the hero, the person we are cheering for, but here he looks like a madman. The next two (well chronologically past) scenes have him threatening to kill a prostitute/rape victim for more information and stealing a taxi. Since we don't know the backstory, we can't hand wave away his actions. He is what he is. A rampaging monster.

Back to Rectum, the main character finds who he thinks he is looking for and attacks him. The man breaks his arm and moves to gently caress him in the rear end. Now keep in mind that later in the movie the main character is established as a manly man/jerk. Out of nowhere the main character's friend (who we later find out is the pussy ex-boyfriend of the girl who was raped) bashes the man in the face with a fire extinguisher. The threat was gone but he continues to hit him.

Skipping forward a little bit, we see the girl getting carted away to the ambulance and the devastation on the main character's face when he sees her. We can feel sorry for him. Excuse what we just saw.

From the rape on, think of the movie in reverse. Each section, has a key decision or action that propels the girl towards her doom. A thing that seemed insignificant at the time but if changed, would have saved her.

All of the sudden, we can see what we thought was the main character's rage, the thing that was pushing him forward in the first half, for what it truly was. Guilt. Same with the friend who killed the wrong man. It wasn't a noble action to save his friend or to get revenge for the girl. It was anger/frustration.

The movie ends with us finding out that the girl is/was pregnant. What should be a high note is actually the knife being twisted in our hearts.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I am a woman who is clearly insane. What's so horrible about Casino? I find it far more epic than Good Fellas and a lot more engrossing. I'm not saying Good Fellas is bad, because I love that movie. But Casino is better.

I'm in the same boat. I think one of the reasons I like Casino more than GoodFellas is the setting. The brightness that comes with Vegas is more appealing to me (and I guess relateable since I have lived in Florida all of my life) than the muted colors of New York/New Jersey.