Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Even a broken clock's right twice a day, man. Hitler was right less than that, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

All right, Peaceful Anarchy, it's Wrath of Khan time. I hope you liked the Chris Pine one because a whole shitload of it was ripped off from this one.

Midnight Cowboy Well. That wasn't what I expected. It was like two movies going on at once - a good, sensitive story of two men down-and-out in New York. Moments of it, like when they're freezing in the apartment reminded me of Fat City crossed with The Pawnbroker. But then there was the other movie gong on - the terribly dated, wanna-be avant garde clusterfuck - like those terrible dream scenes. Hoffman, Voight, and Nilsson deserved better.

New List:

Trouble in Paradise/ any Lubitsch No excuse.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

The Red Shoes I'm scared of musicals

Odd Man Out Sitting on my DVR. Give me an excuse.

Harvey Love that Jimmy Stewart.

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Tried to watch it - DVD was broken.

Anticipation of the Night I respect Brakhage more than I enjoy his work, but I feel like I should definitely get this one under my belt.

Blow Up Again, no excuse.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus, the Departed, Midnight Cowboy

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

mikewozere watch Casablanca. Can we just make that a prerequisite for this thread? ATTN: WATCH CASABLANCA YOU MOOKS

The Red Shoes - For the first 45 minutes or so I was thinking "this is good and all, but why does everyone love it so much? It's kind of routine." Then that dance scene started. My GOD that was a beautiful piece of work. Those colors, the smoothness of the movement, the sudden impossible jumpcuts. It didn't just record the action of ballet, but captured the spirit and moved beyond what is possible in life. Beautiful work. Visually it looked like The Wizard of Oz (though I suppose that's inevitable when you combine matte paintings, red slippers, and Technicolor) and the dream sequence from Kagemusha. The music was terrific too - when the guys in the masks are closing in on her there's a terrific phrase that sounds like it came out of Rimsky-Korsakov's "Scheherazade." A hell of a movie.

New List:

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

The Bad and the Beautiful I've been meaning to get into Minnelli.

Harvey Love that Jimmy Stewart.

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

Anticipation of the Night I respect Brakhage more than I enjoy his work, but I feel like I should definitely get this one under my belt.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus, the Departed, Midnight Cowboy, The Red Shoes

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

He means as opposed to Redux. For the love of god, don't watch Redux. It's the Star Wars Special Edition of war movies.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The second meeting with the playmates, the whole thing about Kilgore trying to get his surfboard back (in the original cut, he leaves with "Someday this war's gonna end..." - a terrific and creepy exit), and the part where Kurtz reads to Willard from Time.

Essentially, in the original cut, the further down the river they go the more hostile and inscrutable their environment is. Redux is like a whacky comedy of errors by comparison.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

It's such a shame, too. The original is one of the best paced movies I know of. It's like a fairy tale that gets darker and weirder and more horrifying every step you take.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

CloseFriend posted:

Oddly enough, I thought the most memorable and symbolically powerful scene was one I've never seen spoofed: the scene where Victor uses "La Marseillaise" to drown out "Die Wacht am Rhein." It's quite strange watching this and remembering that it was made before the Allies actually won the war.

Yeah, that's my favorite part too. Puts the whole movie into perspective and reminds you what was at stake when they made it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Kassoon, watch City of God. It's good. But if you don't like movies like 12 Angry Men and Seven Samurai, I don't know what you're doing in a film forum.

Harvey What a charmer. I love the lengths they go to keeping Harvey in frame, and "I thought you were dead" is one of the funniest goddamn greetings I've ever heard. This is one of those ones that cures a Sunday morning hangover.

New List:

Ugetsu Monogatari I don't know, someone make me watch this.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus, the Departed, Midnight Cowboy, The Red Shoes, Harvey

penismightier fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 13, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Baktus posted:

I just watched The Third man. I thought it was a good movie, the whole mistery behind Harry Lime was great. I just wished we could get a better idea behind his motives, his friends didn't seem to believe he was involved. But the short time he is on screen he does act like scum. Maybe it is a double edged sword I can't have the great mistery of Harry Lime and a satisfying conclusion that isn't just money. As it is exactly that mistery that makes him a good character. I feel like the motives behind the whole mistery are not equal to the effort that was put in hiding the crime.

The dude got paid boatloads of money. He never had to see the people he was hurting so it didn't bother him. He was just more of a sociopath than anyone realized - it's kind of like Kane in that way, everybody thought they knew Welles but only got a side of him. I don't know what more you could want from it, I think anything more complex than that would feel contrived and needlessly complicated.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Baktus posted:

He was always described as a racketeer or a petty thief. I got the impression he was a criminal who masterminded this whole scheme and then to what end? Thinking of him as a sociopath puts a different spin on that. I wrote my entry right after seeing the movie so I put down my immediate thoughts. But as his apathy towards Anna shows that he just doesn't care for other people, at all. I felt like I needed a small reason to believe why this thief would go through this trouble. Putting him down as a socipath gives me a reason.

Yeah, he just didn't give a gently caress. The ferris wheel scene really puts the whole thing into perspective - remember his childish joy about the chaos he causes and the whole bit about stopping one of those "dots" from moving.

EDIT: Ehh, better spoilertag that.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 18, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Baktus: I dare you. Get up on On the Waterfront. Also, just out of curiosity, why didn't you like Capturing the Friedmans? I was really impressed by it.

M. Hulot's Holiday was exceptionally charming. It's rare you see a comedy shot as well as it. The bit where the two kids are looking out the car window and the beach appears from behind the rushes pretty much sums up being a child during the summer. The slightly "off" look everybody had coupled with their dress and the very formalized way they moved made it feel at times like a Mad Magazine article - like when they cut to that kid and he's burning an umbrella with his magnifying glass. Terrific.

New List:

Late Spring Love that Ozu

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus, the Departed, Midnight Cowboy, The Red Shoes, Harvey, M. Hulot's Holiday

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Dirty Frank, watch Titanic. It's far from my favorite movie on your list, but I think you'll be surprised to find it a very good and exciting film.

Trouble in Paradise Now I know exactly what the Lubitsch touch is and I love it. Slick and classy. The humor and the drama both are wrapped in subtlety. And I love seeing these pre-code movies - you get the perfect cinematography of the studio years without the inhibitions.

New List:

Soldier of Orange The length sort of keeps me away from it, but I've always been interested.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus, the Departed, Midnight Cowboy, The Red Shoes, Harvey, M. Hulot's Holiday, Trouble in Paradise

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Pour la Suite du Monde is a treasure, you guys'll probably like it. Brault's one that I'm always embarrassed I haven't seen more of.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Arturo Ui posted:

(mostly the scenes with Madeleine Kahn...it seemed like her scenes were trying to parody something but I don't know what).

Marlene Dietrich.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Have you seen The Man from Laramie? It's a lot prettier and more psychologically rich than The Naked Spur (though I dig The Naked Spur a lot, especially in context).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Bend of the River's not very good. Regardless, go watch Stroszek.

So I watched Ugetsu Monogatari last week and forgot all about this thread. It was real good. Compositionally better than Kurosawa. Is Mizoguchi usually this good, or is Ugetsu like an outlier in his canon?

New List:

Soldier of Orange The length sort of keeps me away from it, but I've always been interested.

Partie de campagne More Renoir, why not?

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus, the Departed, Midnight Cowboy, The Red Shoes, Harvey, M. Hulot's Holiday, Trouble in Paradise, Ugetsu Monogatari

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

All That Heaven Allows was just impossibly beautiful. Holy gently caress. I'm going to watch it again tomorrow. It simultaneously makes me want to get a knit tie and a martini and wrap myself around a girl who looks like Gloria Talbott, and at the same time disappear into the woods and chop lumber for the rest of my days. Sirk does Technicolor and dolly rigs almost better than Hitchcock. I saw the influence on Fassbinder everyone talks about, but also saw a big influence on Eyes Wide Shut. Maybe that's just me.

It's sort of sad that 50 years ago this majesty was how we told this particular story, and nowadays it's loving American Beauty.

Sheldrake, get up on Floating Weeds. The talkie version.

New List:

Autumn Sonata Let's do it.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus, the Departed, Midnight Cowboy, The Red Shoes, Harvey, M. Hulot's Holiday, Trouble in Paradise, Ugetsu Monogatari, All That Heaven Allows

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Blow-Up is loving groovy. Antonioni is just structurally perfect. Every shot is striking. I could watch David Hemmings drive around 60s London for hours. "It's my wife" is one of the most hilariously scummy lines I've ever heard. Vanessa Redgrave is a very terrible dancer.

Mistletoe Donkey, watch Forbidden Planet. Also, some advice: Don't watch The Searchers until you've seen some other John Ford movies. It's an outstanding movie, but a difficult one and a terrible introduction to Ford. Start with Stagecoach or My Darling Clementine. Don't watch The Searchers until at least 3 or 4 other Ford/Wayne films.

New List:

If... I like my Malcolm McDowell

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 28, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Why isn't this thread gold? It's the best one we got.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Is that the Spielberg War of the Worlds or the Byron Haskin/George Pal version on your list?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The original's such a childhood favorite of mine. I haven't seen it in years, I wonder how it holds up.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

If... was real good. English boarding schools just look like hell on earth. The black and white segments were delightfully jarring every time. The beating in the gym had some of the best acting I've ever seen. I can see the influence from Zero de Conduite and the influence on Clockwork Orange, but probably better than both. McDowall is remarkable. He's got that Kinski "I may be real-life crazy" kind of magnetism.

Adhesion, check out The Apartment.

New List:

Written on the Wind Sirk-a-thon 2010

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The Bad and the Beautiful was very good. Lana Turner was incredible, and I'm always happy to see Walter Pidgeon and Kirk Douglas. It's no Sunset Blvd, but I'm glad I watched it.

VelvetEvoker, try It's a Mad etc World. It's amazing how long it sustains itself.

New List:

My Neighbor Totoro I just could not possibly have less interest in this, but I feel like I owe it a watch.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

You should read the OP. I don't really get what your list is supposed to be. Just some movies you like?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Picklejars, watch Taxi Driver

Autumn Sonata was emotionally devastating. Like Ran, I feel like it's the type of movie that could only be made by someone with a long mastery of one's craft. To that end, I. Bergman and I. Bergman both had almost effortless precision (though there were a few too many awkward zooms). The minimalism of the whole thing - one location, four (?) speaking roles, one topic - was refreshing.

New List:

My Neighbor Totoro I just could not possibly have less interest in this, but I feel like I owe it a watch.

Harold and Maude I used to get this confused with Thelma and Louise.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Harold and Maude was very one note. The first half hour was the same joke over and over - the suicide poo poo was impressive and funny the first time, annoying the fifth. I didn't like Harold and I didn't like Maude. I really didn't like Maude. Oh well. It was well shot, though, and I always love Cat Stevens, and it was cool to see MASH's General Hammond with a hairpiece. Oh, and Tom Skerritt was pretty funny.

Noxville, try The Magnificent Ambersons. It's not one of Welles' best, but that means it's still quite great.

New List:

Cleo from 5 to 7 Only recently popped up on my radar.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 15, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I wasn't feeling L'Atalante at all for the first half hour or so, but once the plot started settling in I really liked it. The last half hour or so was tremendous, but it was a rocky start and felt a lot longer than it actually was. Still, Jean Vigo's very skilled at small meaningful character beats and visual quirks - like the kittens playing on record player and that fantastic scene where he pretends to play the record with his finger. It's much praised for its cinematography, which intrigues me because I thought it was pretty sloppy looking at times. The underwater scene was pure poetry.

PA, try Floating Weeds.

New List:

Yesterday Girl Kluge is my biggest gap in the German New Wave.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

It's kind of a vexing movie. It had a pattern of 15 really dull minutes and then 5 touching ones. I would say Vigo's better suited to shorts, but I liked it more than Zero de Conduite, so there goes that theory. It's got great moments hiding in a pretty uninspired overall product, but I'm sure those moments will linger with me.

Also, I see your point about the camera placement. The interiors are definitely more impressive than the rest. Every now and again the camerawork really struck me - the swimming scene, the bar scene (the usage of that little window was inspired), and that dream sequence in particular; but overall it just felt slapped together.

I also watched The Long Voyage Home last week, which is a hard act to follow in terms of shooting on a boat.

EDIT: I feel like I need more context to really appreciate what I saw. Has anyone read the BFI Classics book on L'Atalante? Is it any good?

penismightier fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 18, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

BisonDollah posted:

15. Shadow of a Doubt (1943, Alfred Hitchcock)
I mean to watch every Hitchcock film.

Good luck, man. I tried a year or so ago, it's harder than it sounds.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I have a checklist somewhere. I got just about everything from 1934 to 1964, and then a handful of the silents and late ones. I forget why I stopped - maybe it's time to finish him up.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Anticipation of the Night was the best I've seen of Brakhage and one of those most interesting avant garde films I've watched in a long time. The tea-cup ride footage, that shot of the flamingo (or was that a heron? this needs a restoration) flapping its wing, and the drifting shots of the sleeping infant were just beautiful. I think this is when Brakhage came the closest to achieving his idea of untrained-eye cinema. The camera frames like it doesn't know what it's looking at. The editing rhythm is astounding, and manages to make 40 minutes of pictures of trees sort of exciting.

Atheistdeals, you have a hard list to choose from. It's a tossup between Aguirre, City Lights, Wild Strawberries, and The Trial. I'ma say City Lights because silent films are nothing to fear and you're totally on the cusp of opening yourself up to a whole new cinematic experience.

New List:

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Meanmikhail, here's the plan. You're gonna get some beer, call some friends, and kick back and get your groove on to The Last Waltz.

Cleo from 5 to 7 was really good. I appreciated Varda's ability to utilize the successful aspects of Rope and all those high-concept real-time movies without sacrificing the New Wave's light, spontaneous style. Cleo and Dorothee were both gorgeous. Angele was strange - constantly theatening to break the fourth wall. Nicely done all around. Very novelistic, but very cinematic at the same time (if that makes sense). Varda's camera is restless as hell, and ballsy. The shot where the camera sways to the beat of the song made me smile, and kind of reminded me of Abel Gance. I hated the stupid loving Godard interlude, though.

New List:

Wavelength I pretend like I'm waiting for a good quality release, but I think I'm just intimidated by this movie. Google Video'll do fine.

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 19, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Ooooh this is gonna be somethin', isn't it?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

BisonDollah - Stagecoach

Wavelength is something I never want to see again ever, but actually wasn't as difficult as I was expecting. Compared to something like T.O.U.C.H.I.N.G. or La Monte Young's Black Album (to say nothing of Jay-Z's), I could've watched it standing on my head. Is it weird that I felt a strong influence on The Shining? I don't have much to say about it now that it's done, but I wasn't able to take my eyes away from it. I need a walk.

I had a half a bottle of gin this morning and watched Wavelength this evening and Wavelength BY FAR left me feeling dizzier and more blurry-eyed.

EDIT: Here's a thought: how come nobody's made a traditional-narrative version of this? A murder mystery done in a single zoom leading to a revelation? Sounds good to me, b.

New List:

Saddle the Wind Rod Serling wrote a western and I haven't watched it. What the hell?

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 20, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I'm not sure I did get anything out of it. It was an interesting challenge of a movie, but I didn't really feel anything but dizzy when it was done.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Bodnoirbabe, I'm gonna pay it forward on your rear end and give you the second best movie I saw from this thread: The Red Shoes.

Saddle the Wind was good, but one of Serling's least impressive scripts. Some loose ends and a half-assed love story. John Cassavetes plays the bad guy and starts out great, but can't quite pull it off. Still, the energy he puts into his first few scenes is a breath of fresh air. The genre could use that raw method energy. Donald Crisp, Royal Dano, and Douglas Spencer all round out a solid supporting class.

The gunfighter-going-straight subgenre is my favorite (Shane, A Gunfight, Unforgiven, The Gunfighter. Yee-haw), and this is a decent example of it. So that's cool, I guess. Worth checking out, for sure. And I gotta admit, it's nice to get back to my ol' bread-and-butter CinemaScope westerns.

New List:

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse I know little about it other than that it's supposed to be very good.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

CloseFriend posted:

I just finished Alien a few minutes ago and I absolutely adored it. I didn't think it was scary, but it was one of the most suspenseful movies I've ever seen. There's so much I loved about it. The establishing shots that said everything without having any characters in the frame; the billing that in no way indicates who'll die when; the sporadic but emotional score; I was even all :3: when the cat lived. I'm actually saddened that it got so heavily franchised. What probably impressed me most about the film is that the setting and world were geared entirely in the service of this story and making this one particular movie as suspenseful and interesting as possible.

In any case, Ridley Scott impresses me more with each film I've seen of his. Alien, Thelma & Louise, Robin Hood, Kingdom of Heaven, Gladiator, and Blade Runner are all very different movies from very different genres. While I don't love all of those movies, I have huge amounts of respect for Ridley Scott for his ability to understand the strengths of the genres of each movie and to maximize them while still leaving his own mark.

Now go watch Aliens

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Partie de campagne was very good. Delicate and very poetic. Reminded me a lot of L'Atalante, actually. I wish it was longer, I could've lived in some of those river shots.

Atheistdeals.com, Do the Right Thing awaits. If I were you, I'd opt for the Criterion DVD instead of the blu-ray. There's a strong orange tint to the DVD (intentionally) which really sells it as the hottest day of the year. The blu-ray lacks that, and the heat is less palpable.

New List:

Dead Ringers Somehow one of the only major Cronenbergs I've missed; supposed to be his best

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse I know little about it other than that it's supposed to be very good.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 24, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

That's like the perfect list. I want to make you watch every last one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

My Neighbor Totoro was cute. It had a very good grasp on human relations, and the behavior of children. The pacing of the magical scenes was very good, too. Methodical. Kid's movies aren't really my scene, but this was a good one. When those little girls starting screaming with joy I wanted to deck them, though. And the music was 80s goofy, but I can't really hold that against it I guess.

PA, The War of the Worlds awaits.

New List:

Don't Look Now I know the ending and I've seen the sex scene because I'm a pervert, but that's it.

Dead Ringers Somehow one of the only major Cronenbergs I've missed; supposed to be his best

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10)