Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Kyle Hyde, watch Rocky. Stallone is genuinely charming in it, which makes you really care about the character and want him to succeed. Also, all the trivia about the movie just makes it that much more enjoyable. Here's just a few from the IMDB page:

quote:

After producers Irwin Winkler and Robert Chartoff became interested in the script, they offered writer Sylvester Stallone an unprecedented $350,000 for the rights, but he refused to sell unless they agreed to allow him to star in the film (this despite the fact that he had only $106 in the bank, no car and was trying to sell his dog because he couldn't afford to feed it). They agreed, but only on the condition that Stallone continue to work as a writer without a fee and that he work as an actor for scale. After Winkler and Chartoff purchased the film, they took it to United Artists, who envisioned a budget of $2 million, but that was on the basis of using an established star (they particularly wanted Robert Redford, Ryan O'Neal, Burt Reynolds or James Caan). United Artists didn't want Stallone to star, and when Winkler and Chartoff told them that the only way they could get him to sell the screenplay was to agree to cast him, United Artists cut the budget to $1 million, and had Chartoff and Winkler sign agreements that if the film went over budget, they would be personally liable. The final cost of the film was $1.1 million. The $0.1 million came after Chartoff and Winkler mortgaged their homes so as to complete the project.

quote:

When shooting the scenes in the meat-locker where he punches the slabs of beef, actor Sylvester Stallone punched the meat so hard for so long that he flattened out his knuckles. To this day, when he makes a fist, his knuckles are completely level.

Here's my list:

Halloween - I'm a Carpenter fan, but this is one of three movies I've never seen of his. I DVR'd it off IFC once, but the widescreen was all stretched out and hosed up as they do with so many movies on there and I didn't want to see it like that. I tried renting it once from a video store, but the disc was scratched. Then I just lost interest.

The Shining - I've only seen two Kubrick movies, 2001 and Clockwork Orange. 2001 I liked a great deal and Clockwork Orange I thought was just 'eh'. I know a lot of people love the movie, and there were things I liked in it, but overall it just didn't really interest me. I've avoided The Shining because I figure I'll probably feel the same about it. I've seen clips of it they didn't grab me.

The City of Lost Children - I don't really know anything about this movie, just that it's supposed to be good. Never felt any pull towards finding out anything more about it. I'd be going into this one blind.

Midnight Cowboy - I know nothing about this movie, except 'that song' plays in it. Just saw Dustin Hoffman in American Buffalo recently, and thought it was the best thing I'd ever seen him in. I hear he's good in this too.

Mulholland Drive - I love Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart. Hated Inland Empire with a fervor. Thought Lost Highway had some good parts. For some reason I lump Inland and Highway in with this one, because I hear this one is sorta aimless too. Maybe it isn't though, this is just based on hearsay.

Mean Streets - I love Goodfellas and Raging Bull. Scorcese's other movies that I've seen I think are just okay. I know nothing about this one.

The Night of the Hunter - Love Robert Mitchum, know nothing about this other than he's in it and Undertow (which I liked a lot) was heavily influenced by it.

Badlands - Love Days of Heaven, haven't seen anything else by Malick. I have great respect for him, but I've never gotten around to this one, which I'd like to see before moving on to his more recent work.

Heathers - I feel like I'd like this movie, but have never gotten around to it. I love the quote 'gently caress me gently with a chainsaw' but I know nothing else about this movie.

Paranoid Park - Loved Elephant, hated Gerry, hated Last Days. I fear I'll hate this one too, after those. If it's like Elephant though, I'll like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Netflix sent me a disc of Mean Streets that looked like somebody had ran sandpaper over it, so I'm awaiting a replacement copy. Hopefully I'll get to see this one by the end of the week.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Peaceful Anarachy, watch Neotpravlennoye pismo. I haven't seen any of the movies on your list, but this one sounds the most interesting to me, so I'm curious to hear how it is.

Mean Streets was alright. I loved moments here and there, but a lot of it just bored me, and whenever there was ADR it was really distracting. If Goodfellas is Sgt. Peppers, this felt like a pretty cool early rough demo tape of it, if that makes any sense. I'm glad I saw it though, it's definitely worth watching.

Here's my updated list:

Halloween - I'm a Carpenter fan, but this is one of three movies I've never seen of his. I DVR'd it off IFC once, but the widescreen was all stretched out and hosed up as they do with so many movies on there and I didn't want to see it like that. I tried renting it once from a video store, but the disc was scratched. Then I just lost interest.

The Shining - I've only seen two Kubrick movies, 2001 and Clockwork Orange. 2001 I liked a great deal and Clockwork Orange I thought was just 'eh'. I know a lot of people love the movie, and there were things I liked in it, but overall it just didn't really interest me. I've avoided The Shining because I figure I'll probably feel the same about it. I've seen clips of it they didn't grab me.

The City of Lost Children - I don't really know anything about this movie, just that it's supposed to be good. Never felt any pull towards finding out anything more about it. I'd be going into this one blind.

Midnight Cowboy - I know nothing about this movie, except 'that song' plays in it. Just saw Dustin Hoffman in American Buffalo recently, and thought it was the best thing I'd ever seen him in. I hear he's good in this too.

Mulholland Drive - I love Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart. Hated Inland Empire with a fervor. Thought Lost Highway had some good parts. For some reason I lump Inland and Highway in with this one, because I hear this one is sorta aimless too. Maybe it isn't though, this is just based on hearsay.

The Night of the Hunter - Love Robert Mitchum, know nothing about this other than he's in it and Undertow (which I liked a lot) was heavily influenced by it.

Badlands - Love Days of Heaven, haven't seen anything else by Malick. I have great respect for him, but I've never gotten around to this one, which I'd like to see before moving on to his more recent work.

Heathers - I feel like I'd like this movie, but have never gotten around to it. I love the quote 'gently caress me gently with a chainsaw' but I know nothing else about this movie.

Paranoid Park - Loved Elephant, hated Gerry, hated Last Days. I fear I'll hate this one too, after those. If it's like Elephant though, I'll like it.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - No excuse for this. Definitely something I should've seen by now, but it's one of those movies I just forget exists when I'm thinking of classics I should watch.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
thegloaming, watch The Incredibles. It's just a whole lot of fun, and one of the least kids movie feeling Pixar movies, in my opinion. It's probably my favorite superhero movie.

I wasn't too into One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I'd give it a 3 out of 5. The performances were all very good, but the script didn't do it for me. I found myself more interested in the smaller, simpler scenes, like McMurphy talking to the head doctor very early on in the film, or the stuff on the basketball court. I didn't find myself caring much about what was happening in the bigger scenes, and the final scene where the chief kills McMurphy and flees just felt too cheesy for me to have any emotional response to.

Here's my updated list:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - The original, not the remake, of course. The only Tobe Hooper film I've seen is The Funhouse, which I loved. I should definitely watch this, but I haven't.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 17, 2010

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Nroo, check out Raging Bull. It deserves every bit of praise it gets. The sound design is particularly amazing, and Robert DeNiro delivers his best performance, in my opinion.

Just watched The Night of the Hunter. Loved it to death. Mitchum was amazing, the cinematography was amazing, I loved everything about it. Anyone who hasn't seen this should just watch it right now.

I've revised my list to include more obvious films I need to see. All of these I've put off for no apparent reason:

1) The Godfather Trilogy
2) Casablanca
3) ANY Fellini movies. Just pick one for me to start with and I'll watch it.
4) To Kill a Mockingbird
5) The Seven Samurai or Ikiru
6) Harvey
7) Blade Runner
8) Harold and Maude
9) Schindler's List
10) Dr. Strangelove

Finally watched so far: Mean Streets, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Night of the Hunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
FitFortDanga, watch Dolemite! It's really fun, and within the blaxploitation genre there's really no movie that does what it does as well as it does.

I enjoyed Dr. Strangelove thoroughly. Very funny and gorgeous to look at. The humor was extremely up my alley. Two things I noticed: One, I'm convinced that Daniel Stern was channeling Turgidson in Rookie of the Year, just slightly more retarded. Two, how many loving movies and bands and more have aped the opening title lettering? Jesus christ. The minute they came up, I was like 'so THAT'S where those came from!'

1) The Godfather Trilogy or The Conversation or The Rain People
2) Casablanca
3) ANY Fellini movies. Just pick one for me to start with and I'll watch it.
4) To Kill a Mockingbird
5) The Seven Samurai or Ikiru
6) Harvey
7) Blade Runner
8) Harold and Maude
9) Schindler's List or Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
10) Full Metal Jacket or Lolita or The Shining

Finally watched so far: Mean Streets, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Night of the Hunter, Dr. Strangelove