Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
A solid series, with a good mix of action, comedy, and general breaking of shounen tropes. I enjoyed it mostly, though I felt like this last arc was the weakest of the bunch so it's probably best to end it now before it has the chance to degenerate.

:c00l: See you later Beel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well, that certainly explains why this arc felt so rushed and confusing.

I hope the artist starts another series soon. He has a real knack for writing comedy.

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think the peak was around the Christmas tournament arc last year. That was fantastic.
Yeah, that or the contractor Furuichi arc. I wish the whole series was like that.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Welp. Time to read the series from the beginning again. Awwwwwwwwwwyeah

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
RIP Beelzebub

You were the good poo poo. :unsmith:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If the ratings were so bad that it got a rushed ending it seems unlikely that it would immediately get a spin off. Almost all of the arcs were really fast in general

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Oh man, it's finally over. :smith: I haven't been reading the series recently so I guess now's the time to catch up.

Hopefully the spin-off focuses on Furuichi or Kanzaki and Paako. They were hilarious.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Loved it every week. Kinda glad it's over in a way just because it was always pretty consistently funny to me and better to wrap it up then keep going until its stale. Will definitely be looking forward to whatever the author does next!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Scott Bakula posted:

If the ratings were so bad that it got a rushed ending it seems unlikely that it would immediately get a spin off. Almost all of the arcs were really fast in general
This arc was way more rushed than usual, hence why so many people were asking what was going on/who was who every other chapter.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
At the same time I feel a typical long drawn out final battle arc wouldn't suit this series at all.
This has been a great read and hopefully any loose ends might result in a fun spin-off.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Look I just hope the spinoff is something more interesting than Saotome's past.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Was it ever explained who this dude was?

Based on his appearance and his use of teleportation jewels, that might have been Johan. I don't know if they ever confirmed it.

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
Best possible spinoff outcome: Redtails adventures, starring Paako.

Worst possible outcome: Full-on serious shonen thing to appeal to ratings.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Even at it's most shonen this series was great so i would be all up for that.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Captain gently caress will live on in our hearts :911:.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I guess that the main Shounen Jump reader base has a different* sense of humor or something, since Beelzebub always stood out as being one of the only truly funny/unique humor manga in a sea of stereotypical gag manga that repeat the same jokes over and over.

* euphemism for "worse"

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I cried. One of my favorite series, and I've got high hopes for that spinoff.

There can't be any doubt that the mangaka had to rush an ending, likely starting around the America arc. Yes, I know what some people are saying, that arcs always moved fast. But if you go back and reread, there's very clearly a difference. It's a real shame Beelzebub wasn't able to continue and reach its end at the mangaka's pace, because I don't believe for a second that it would've gotten stale.

In any case, eagerly awaiting whatever comes next.

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?
Good night sweet prince (of hell)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Sad to see it end, but it was the best while it lasted. I'm pretty sure the rankings started to drop once the anime ended, and it basically consistently held its own in the lower half with occasional jumps to the top, till last year where it finally plummeted to the bottom. I think the fact that it was pretty erratic in jumping to the top is probably why it's getting a spin-off.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shieldhill posted:

It's a real shame Beelzebub wasn't able to continue and reach its end at the mangaka's pace, because I don't believe for a second that it would've gotten stale.

I agree, because at its core Beelzebub isn't really plot driven; it's a humor/gag manga and could really continue more or less indefinitely given its large cast of characters. A good example of a complete side thing not related at all to a main/major plotline is the whole Okinawa arc. There's no reason why the author couldn't have continued to do stuff like that.

All this being said, the fact that he's going to be doing a side series means that there might not be that much to get upset about. I'm more attached to the characters/humor than anything specific to Beelzebub's main plot, so I'd be happy with another series with either some of the same characters or new, equally funny ones.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Considering it would veer away from shounen fighting poo poo and never really got fan-servicey it's a wonder it made it this long. :911: Laters Beelzebub.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So what caused the loss of popularity in Japan? Just readers have no taste? where do the low/high votes fall issue popularity?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TaurusTorus posted:

So what caused the loss of popularity in Japan? Just readers have no taste? where do the low/high votes fall issue popularity?

If Bakuman can be trusted, gag manga just aren't as popular as straight romance/sports/fighting manga for some reason. I just assume that it is part of how utterly moronic their voting system is.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Serious Frolicking posted:

If Bakuman can be trusted, gag manga just aren't as popular as straight romance/sports/fighting manga for some reason. I just assume that it is part of how utterly moronic their voting system is.

So just readers having no taste.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Rudoku posted:

So just readers having no taste.
It could just be the particular magazine's audience that's looking for their weekly fan-service/nudity and didn't find it in Beelzebub.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well that can't be completely true given how well Assassination Classroom and weird humor based manga like Isobe Isobee Monogatari and PSI Kusuo Saiki are doing relatively well (Course the aforementioned two are either never scanlated or barely so we can't really judge). Beelzebub's just kind of an odd duck in that rankings-wise it'll sit comfortably in the bottom half and then every now and then jump to 3rd or 4th place in 2013. It was consistently in the upper half while the anime was running though, hence my guess that with the anime ending, interest in it fell off.

As for why readers didn't vote for it afterwards is anyone's guess, though it apparently sold enough volumes that it wasn't canceled right away when it dropped that far. But yeah, your usual suspects of Naruto, One Piece, and Toriko generally dominate the rankings as well as Nisekoi, Shokugeki no Souma, Assassination Classroom, and Kuroko No Basket typically shuffling around in the 1-5 slots.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nyaa posted:

It could just be the particular magazine's audience that's looking for their weekly fan-service/nudity and didn't find it in Beelzebub.

The "particular magazine" in question is Shounen Jump. IE: the thing kids read for One Piece and Naruto and Bleach and stuff. In this case the audience is probably reading it for fight scenes and dramatic catharsis.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I just finished the manga and I had no idea it was going to end, I had been keeping up with it sparingly and binging here and there on chapters. I really hope the spin-off thing is good.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Bonus Beelzebub Side Story
Furuichi remains the best.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Haha that teacher is in for some crazy times.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

At least that Saiki Kusuo series looks like a pretty good spiritual successor to Beelzebub as far as a comedy manga in the WSJ goes. I very rarely find gag manga funny, but I loved Beelzbub and Saiki Kusuo has had a few laugh out loud moments as well.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Haha that teacher is in for some crazy times.

Not sure how often we're going to see kindergarten antics now that grandma is gone. Although now that I think about it they never resolved the separation problem.

Kunieda's younger brother is pretty funny now that he's got more of a personality. I think his adult form would have made an excellent addition to the teenage cast as long as they always played him for laughs (unlike scarface kid from that arc back then).

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ytlaya posted:

At least that Saiki Kusuo series looks like a pretty good spiritual successor to Beelzebub as far as a comedy manga in the WSJ goes. I very rarely find gag manga funny, but I loved Beelzbub and Saiki Kusuo has had a few laugh out loud moments as well.

Saiki's been around since 2012. :ssh:

Glad to see Beelzebub back in some form though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The man most suited for the punchline. Godspeed, General Furuicihi.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Allarion posted:

Saiki's been around since 2012. :ssh:

Glad to see Beelzebub back in some form though.

Wow, really? Are the scanlations behind or something? I only saw 12-13 chapters.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Clarste posted:

Not sure how often we're going to see kindergarten antics now that grandma is gone. Although now that I think about it they never resolved the separation problem.

It's called a joke friend. We sometimes make humorous statements on these here e-forums.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ytlaya posted:

Wow, really? Are the scanlations behind or something? I only saw 12-13 chapters.

Presumably lack of interest from scanlations groups until now probably. I recall hearing that Saiki was pretty wordy and relied on Japanese puns too, making the translation wall that much higher for anyone to try and attempt till now. Only reason I became aware of it was because I saw it consistently do well in the rankings, so I just kept checking to see if anyone would pick it up, since it sounded like an interesting manga. And it turned out to be hilarious. So yeah, we got about 2 year's worth of chapters before we even catch up.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

paragon1 posted:

It's called a joke friend. We sometimes make humorous statements on these here e-forums.

I don't think my response really depends on whether you made a joke or not?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I was craving Beelzebub :D

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
ignore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lmao at tiny buff Furuichi.

• Locked thread