Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006
If I'm traveling through small towns in Northern Italy, can I expect to find wireless connections readily available? Or at least connections at PC cafes to which I can hook up my laptop? The Lonely Planet guide suggests wireless connections are generally harder to come by than in the US. I was planning on mapping out GPS routes nightly on bikely.com so if that's true it looks like I'm going to need to rely on maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

schoenfelder posted:

I've also never seen the possibility to hook up your own laptop in an internet café.

ok thanks this is useful to know. I assume it is permitted to download files onto a USB stick at an internet cafe, which should be good enough.

unrelated question: I'm wondering if anyone has been to a cheap but half decent hotel in Venice? from the reviews I've read the low-end hostel-type places are relatively interchangeable, but you want to pick one that doesn't involve an extra trip on the water bus.

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006
I'm hoping for some advice on getting a SIM card in Europe primarily for GPS use for biking over a couple weeks.

I'm planning on buying a GSM sim card on arrival at the airport, which I understand is easy enough. I don't plan to make many calls, but I want to be sure I have a reliable data connection with enough bandwidth/data to use GPS for 5-6 hours a day.

Is there some particular provider that would be optimal for this (ie good coverage in Germany and France, and not too expensive)? I'll be biking ~7 days total during my trip, so I'm also wondering how much data I should buy. (I guess I can top it up if I run low, hopefully that's easy to do via the phone itself.) Also I'm wondering if I can expect decent coverage in the French Alps.

I have a Tmobile prepaid phone in the US. I hear Tmobile offers some sort of service to its US customers in Europe if they have a postpaid plan but it appears I do not have access to this.

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

greazeball posted:

GPS doesn't use data, you can use it in flight mode if you want to test it. If you have your maps offline (Maps With Me/MAPS.ME was what we used when Google maps offline was giving us poo poo, and it was ok), the only thing you'll be missing is the directions feature. If you're a good navigator you should be able to manage. Battery life could be an issue, do you have some kind of solar charger or spare batteries?

The turn by turn navigation is really nice when biking, since it allows one to remain focused on the road and not have to stop and fiddle with the phone. Offline maps would certainly be workable, but I wish there were some way I could just buy a SIM with 5GB of data for $30 like I do with Tmobile prepay. From what I understand it will be necessary to buy separate SIM cards in Germany and France, and the data is considerably more expensive.

I'm bringing one of those Anchor supplementary batteries so hopefully that will be sufficient.

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

How ubiquitous is wifi in Europe? Are there free wifi spots everywhere like in North America, or is it more limited?

My girlfriend is going over there for a trip, and we're trying to figure out if she'll need a prepaid sim card to keep in touch or if she'll be fine with just bringing her tablet along and connecting it to wifi. She won't be going anywhere out of the way - London, Paris, Amsterdam, big cities like that.

If she happens to use a Tmobile postpaid plan in the US, the plan's data allotment is transferable to Europe with no roaming fee.

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006
This is a longshot, but can anyone advise on finding a road bike to use for one week in Grenoble? I would like to bike around Grenoble for seven days starting August 2nd (to do Alpe d'Huez etc.). I won't be able to bring a bike with me, so I'm hoping to find one. There are a few bike shops there but so far one (Happy Bike) has nothing available for that time period, and so far I haven't been able to reach the other two (Dayak and Metrovelo don't respond to email, phone just rings). I found a couple more shops in Le Bourg d'Oisans but that's a ways a way from Grenoble.

If I can't rent I'll might do a hail mary, buy something used on ebay and have it delivered to my hotel. I'd rather not though.

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

HookShot posted:

When you say road bike, do you mean a professional type? Because Metrovelo have stands with bikes to rent at the train station, for like 0.10 an hour, you could do that every day. But none of their bikes (at the gare or in store) look like real road bikes, they're more cruisers.

Also both Dayak stores are only open Tuesday to Saturday so if you called today that's why the phone rang out.

This might help too, I have to run so I can't actually go through the list right now: http://www.grenoblecycling.com/Web-Links.htm#tours

Yes I mean a racing-style rather than the city cruisers Metrovelo offers. You're correct I called Dayak today not realizing they're closed on Monday, although I emailed them last week and never heard back. I looked through the links on that page you posted, the only place that rents bikes seems to charge quite a stiff price, 550 euros for one week (including 150 euro delivery fee). Happy Bike was charging 180 euros for a bike that would have worked fine (but they're sold out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

greazeball posted:

Are you flying directly to Grenoble? Might be worth checking wherever you're landing too. In Geneva there's http://www.bikeswitzerlandrentals.com who have good bikes. They rent GPS devices too.

Those rates seem normal to me (but then again, Swiss prices are insane), rental bikes take an absolute beating and there are a lot of fiddly expensive components that can break on road bikes so they've got to cover those expenses too. What kind of bike were they offering for less than €30/day?

They were offering this model, which would have been fine for my purposes. They were also offering some Cervelos for roughly what the other place wanted for much less ritzy bikes. I'll actually be flying into Paris (Orly airport) from Berlin and taking the train to Grenoble. As long as I can take a bike on the train to Grenoble, renting one in Paris wouldn't actually a bad backup plan, but it would mean staying in Paris overnight to pick up the bike, which will make the actual bike tour rather more hectic, since I'll have no margin for error if I want to make my flight back to the US.