Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Fleece as white as snow in a city

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I can do some write-ups on some less traveled Eastern European cities/countries (Sarajevo, Mostar, Zadar, Split, Sofia) later on if people want. I also lived in Dublin for a year and know the place like the back of my hand, though it's not a particularly exciting city. I'm moving to Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria in less than a month, too.

I'm heading in that direction next monday for three-ish weeks so any tips are appreciated. Going to at least Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, possibly Turkey, Bulgaria and Romania. Interrailing with a ten travel days in 21 days -pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Yeah I think 50 euros would be fine even if you included paying for hostels in that. You'll save a lot money if you cook your own food every now and then and drink in parks or dives instead of clubs.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Thanks for the info on Croatia & Bosnia - I think the latter might be sort of difficult to get into, but I'll definitely try to make it to Sarajevo. I do remember the war so it would be very interesting to see the city in person.

Doctor Malaver posted:

As a Croat I can confirm that this is pretty much spot-on. Also I'd add Belgrade to the list of interesting cities in the region.

Can you give me some info on Belgrade? I'm definitely interested in going there but apart from looking up a few hostels know very little about it.

Leaving in a few hours for a ferry into Stockholm, and beelining to Prague from there. I'm very excited!

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
At least Europcar (http://www.europcar.com) seems to offer something. It's pretty drat expensive, though, but renting across countries tends to be I guess. It seems to be a short trip to spend that much time driving - are you sure you wouldn't want to just fly cheap from Spain to Paris, or even take a fast train?

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Hey thanks a bunch on the notes about Serbia. Heading to Belgrade from Budapest via night train today and probably spending a night, then going on to Sarajevo. Really looking forward to it and it sucks I can't spend more than one night. Trying to find Bosnian bus timetables on the internet sucks. Well, not suck as much as is impossible.

Is there anywhere in particular I should go to in Belgrade?

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
All right, thanks a ton - this helps a lot after wandering aimlessly around Budapest for two days (which is fine in itself and was great to have a few slower days). If any of the goons answering here happen to be in Belgrade tomorrow or Sarajevo / Dubrovnik later I'll be happy to buy you a pint or two.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006

jeoh-kun posted:

I'm going to Helsinki for four days in late February, is there anything relatively unknown in the area which I absolutely should not miss?

What are you looking for? Bars, galleries, clubs, food? What are you planning to hit? It's sort of hard for me to say what's unknown, having lived here for a while.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006

Pantaloon posted:

2) Should I buy or rent a real twentysomething travel backpack for a 12-day trip, or will a small carry on suitcase or rolling duffel work? I've no idea what the hostel locker dimensions are, but I assume they trend towards the small.

Like said, anything fitting an overhead compartment will work, but not that many hostels require you to use lockers. I mean, obviously keep your valuables somewhere but it's not like anyone's interested in stealing your (dirty) clothes. The only trouble I've heard anyone have is stolen hiking boots, and even that was probably an honest mistake.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Any tips on getting cell phone service with data on a prepaid sim card? I have tried Phone House, which was so helpful in Spain, but they can only do voice. I got the same response from SFR. Very disappointing. It would be a major help to use google maps on my phone, as this place certainly isn't laid out on a grid!

At least in my Android phone I can enable "Precache map areas" in Labs for Maps, and then pre-cache the cities I want when on wifi. Works great. I mean, obviously it's nicer if you can use data, but that was a reasonably good substitute for me.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006

dum2007 posted:

Nice. Great location. Anyone ever heard of Jetpak Alternative?

I stayed there a year ago - right next to the u-station, lots of great bars and restaurants nearby (one especially great vietnamese place). Would definitely stay again. I think they overplay the alt-aspect, it was reasonably clean and the huge basement dorm i stayed in was quiet.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
I think Budapest would be worth it just for the spas.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Any Estonian goons around? I'm coming over to Tallinn with a few friends to see a gig on Friday, we'll be in the city thu-sat. As we're from Finland we have all been really really drunk in the Old Town a few times before so looking for other stuff to do. We don't have a lot of stuff set yet, probably going to try F-Hoone for dinner on thursday, maybe visit Kumu on friday. What are the best places to go for breakfast / lunch? Where's the best cake? Are there any cool exhibitions going on right now? Where can we chill out in the evening if we're not that into getting hammered but want to go out? We're goign to be staying in the old town most likely.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006

jyrka posted:

Yeah, hi. Hell Hunt has great food. Kompressor has pancakes. Pagariliisu has all sorts of cakes that are brilliant. If you're in the old town, you're sort of stuck in the drunken loudness caused mostly by your own kind. Just try to find an emptier cafe or something go to Katusekino, which is an open air cinema on top of Kaubamaja and is quite lovely.

Thanks. I've heard Kalamaja is supposed to be cool - any tips on where to go there?

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006

pigdog posted:

Do you mean this weekend? There's Őllesummer, a four day orgy of beer, music and food.

Yeah, the gig is part of that - I'm not 100% sure if our tickets are valid only for the show or for the whole day. Have to check on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Heading to Edinburgh for a week - unfortunately have to work a couple of those days. Any recommendations for laptop friendly cafes that are somewhat centrally located?

Planning on a day trip or two to distilleries, does anyone have experiences to share? I've been to a few, so places focusing on the product rather than the general process would be especially good. Other dram-related tips much appreciated as well!