Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

freebooter posted:

Oh, and also - what's tthe working situation like for Australians at the moment? I have Irish citizenship but my friend is just a wretched Aussie.

Just to clarify, do you mean "How hard is it for Australians with all the necessary visas to find work?" or "What does my friend who doesn't have a British/EU citizenship need to do in order to be able to work legally?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Ziir posted:

How often do you use credit cards in Europe though? The times I've been there, the only times I could use a credit card was at the movie theaters and at stores like Ikea.

I guess it depends where you go. In England you can use a credit card at all the same places you can in the US. In a little village in Croatia or somewhere, probably not.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Omits-Bagels posted:

Get an Oyster card from any small shop and put money on it (I think you can only use cash to add money to the card but I could be wrong). There are ATMs all over the place so don't worry.

Seconding this. Oyster is the cheapest way to use the transport network in London. It's a card that you touch on sensors at the beginning and end of your journey (on tubes and trains) and just at the beginning (on buses). You can buy them from Heathrow, and it's the first thing you should get. You can reload them with cash or from a credit card.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

Funny little rant

Just ignore all this nonsense. England, like any Western country in the world, has some incredible places to eat. It also has some really poo poo places to eat. Try checking TripAdvisor or something which isn't your guidebook for food recommendations.

The Oyster card has a daily cap on it, so you just use it as much as you like, and once you've made about £6 worth of journeys (it varies depending on how many zones you go into), it won't charge you any more for the day. If you're only there for 4 days then this is the cheapest thing to do, as a weekly travelcard will be more expensive. Just put £25 on each card when you arrive, then you shouldn't have to worry. You might get charged £3 refundable-deposit (just turn the card in before you fly home to get it back), although a friend of mine recently bought a card and wasn't charged it so ymmv.

As someone said earlier, a white dot signifies somewhere you can change lines and a protrusion is a stop.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Ziir posted:

I've always read to make copies of your passport. Welp, I've made copies of my passport. Question is, should I be carrying my passport or the copies? On one hand, carrying the copies seems like a better choice because I can lose that and it's no problem, but Mr. Police Officer might think it's bullshit that I'm showing him a piece of paper instead of my real passport. Or are the copies so that if I were to lose my passport, I could go to the US embassy and show them my copy and get it replaced? Except Mr. US Customs Guy might also think it's bullshit that I'm showing him a piece of paper that I could have easily doctored.

:iiam:

If you're going out in the day to somewhere that's dangerous/at risk of pick-pocketing, then carry the copies. Any police officer will be fine, and you can always go back to your hotel with them to get the read deal if they are a dick about it.

If you're going clubbing or whatever and need ID, you might need your passport to get into a club. If you lose your passport, the US embassy won't need a copy in order to get it replaced. It might help to have your passport number, but you've already written that down separately, right?

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

DeathChill posted:

I've been looking at trains and planning sites and I've yet to find anything about train departure times. It seems as if everything is done whenever. Are there a constant barrage of trains going everywhere that I don't have to worry about catching a specific train at a specific time?

Where are you trying to find train times for? Have you checked out bahn.de?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

MJP posted:

What's the best and least expensive way to get from Dublin or Belfast to Amsterdam if I'm not renting a car?

Renting a car would be one of the most expensive ways I can think of to get from Dublin to Amsterdam. Book a flight with a budget airline - check skyscanner