Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Nice piece of fish posted:

Fantastic! Deeply appreciated! Got any good recommendations for lunch places that you liked?

Nope, we just wandered into wherever looked good and didn't have a tourist menu. Go up some of the cobbled streets around Bairro Alto and see what takes your fancy! We had a mediocre lunch in Sintra because we went to the first place we saw after getting off the train, and a diabolical meal at the beach in Cascais, but everything else was lovely.

This article might be helpful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

CzarChasm posted:

We'd like to hit a little of everything, but while most of the reviews are positive, the one negative I keep seeing is that this is a rushed trip. Can't tell if that's genuine complaint or some people just being whiny.
Adding to the voices saying that is way too rushed and will not be fun. The majority of this itinerary will be travelling rather than seeing or experiencing anything. Also, that tour feels really expensive for what you get.

You need at least 3-4 days in London, really, and I'd say 2-3 minimum for Edinburgh. You could drive yourself around some beautiful Scottish countryside and actually be able to stop and take it all in. Hadrian's Wall is worth a look.

Bath is probably a day so you can go to the Roman baths. Bristol's not really worth bothering with if you're coming all the way from the US, it's a perfectly pleasant city but I'd skip it in order to free up time to see more interesting stuff.

If you have ten days and want to see a bunch of stuff without rushing, I'd be thinking of something along these lines:

London with a day trip to Bath (the train takes about 90mins each way and you can probably book decently-priced tickets in advance) and another to Stonehenge, or else an overnight in Bath and a day set aside for Stonehenge and surrounds as Bath is slightly closer to the site. (5 days total)

Fly from Bristol (nearest airport to Bath) or London to Edinburgh for 3 days.

Train or drive to Inverness (takes about 4 hours either way) and then a drive around various Highlandy places for a couple of days before flying home. Or I'm sure there are Highlands tours from Inverness that you could look into if you're not wanting to drive yourselves.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 4, 2019

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

kru posted:

Did anyone ITT make a Berlin post? I'm here for the next month bumming about.

Go to Teufelsberg and have a big ol' schweinshaxe at Restaurant Scheune and a black lager to fuel you for the walk up to the site.

The DDR Museum is interesting. Definitely check out the Berliner Dom with the audio tour.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Hutzpah posted:

I somehow didnt realize Bath was so far away. I'll cross it off of the list. We went to the VnA
last time, but will probably go again. I go to the British Museum every time I am in London and don't plan on changing that. It's most of the reason that we stay near Russel Square.

Oxford is more interesting than Bath and closer, if you want a pretty, historic city to explore. Brighton for a funky seaside town vibe, though it'd be less pleasant in the rain than Oxford. Both are about an hour away by train from Central London and have good places to eat and drink, and a good museum or two to check out. Oxford has the History of Science Museum and the Pitt Rivers, Brighton has the Royal Pavilion with a museum next to it that has a pretty interesting exhibition about the history of humans in the area, amongst other things.

Definitely visit the Wellcome Museum outside Euston Station!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Croatia. Plan is to fly into Zagreb from London and out from Dubrovnik, with 1/2 nights in Zagreb, 1 night near Plitvice Lakes, 2 nights in Split and 2 nights in Dubrovnik. Getting the bus between places and each trip looks like it takes 2-3 hours. Does this sound sensible or is it worth a rethink/reshuffle?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Gatts posted:

I just booked a trip to Amsterdam...for Thanksgiving. I've heard Holland is beautiful. I will only be there for 3 days. I am staying city center. Any suggestions? I was going to hit up viator.
I've posted recommendations before in this thread, click the ? under my username.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Split to Dubrovnik is 4+ hours. If this is during warm months, consider flying in to Split or Zadar. You can skip Zagreb and spend more time on the coast. If it's in winter, Split will be half deserted. If you're into museums and architecture, that's great, but if you want to party, skip Split. You can do Plitvice as a day trip from Zagreb and take a local flight Zagreb - Dubrovnik. But your plan works too.

Zagreb is a must for the Museum of Broken Relationships, but we might be able to do just one night there if flight times work out well. Not much into partying, love a good museum, and some friends adore Split so we do want to hit it up. We're planning to go in May.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Gatts posted:

Thanks!!! I plan to visit the museums. ALL OF THEM muahahahaha....at least Anne Frank's House, Van Gough, The one that starts with R, the other ones on the other side of town, and eat food. For 2 days. Then have an out of town experience.

I will look at the previous posts.

If you love museums, the Tropenmuseum is a must, in my opinion. It's my favourite and always has interesting special exhibitions as well as the main collection.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Shy posted:

What's the weather like in Lisbon in April?

e: would five nights in the city be too much?
Five nights is good, go to Sintra and the aquarium. Both unmissable, in my opinion. You should also make sure to go out late to Bairro Alto and soak up the street party vibe. Don't eat anywhere with an English menu outside.

asur posted:

It was good when I was there a couple years ago in April. It was warm and sunny for the entire four days, which I thought was enough. Five nights is too much even with visits outside the city.
Totally disagree, we had five nights there and spent two days in Sintra (saw both Pena Palace and the Moorish Castle) and it was perfect.

Weaponized Autism posted:

Heading to Athens on Friday for a week. I have a lot of touristy stuff planned, including a day trip to Sounion and one of the islands close by. Any recommendations for cocktail bars? Brettos, The Clumsies, Noel, Drunk Sinatra, and Kolokotroni 9 are on my list. Also looking for recommendations in general for hidden gems. Smaller museums, restaurants, sightseeing.
Six d.o.g.s is a pretty, cool bar just off Monastiraki Square. Also nearby is Akordeon, which was one of the best holiday/restaurant experiences I've had. Super delicious food with super friendly hosts. This was a few years ago though so they might be busier now - but it looks like they're getting great reviews!

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 7, 2019

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Entropist posted:

It's a tourist thing in general, I hardly know any locals that smoke weed. If they do, they get in and out as quick as possible to make their purchase and go elsewhere to smoke.
Coffeeshops are all over the place, I really don't know which ones are good. Even Google Maps ratings are no help here as they're all rated 4.4-4.6. Abraxas has a 4.6 but according to friends the stuff they got there was not that good. Just try a random one and hope you are lucky, I guess.

I've not been for a couple of years, but I'd say Abraxas is perfectly fine for having a couple of Amsterdam joints for the novelty. It's central, easy to navigate for a first time tourist, fairly decent in terms of seating, size, decor etc, and they do a bangin' hot chocolate. It was always one of my easy go-tos on a visit.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I've never seen anyone using a bong in the Netherlands. Some places have volcano vapes, I've only ever used one in a coffeeshop once though about ten years ago so you'd need to do some research. You would need to buy your own weed to use. If it's a one off for the novelty, get an €8 gram, the cheapest grinder you can find, and give whatever's left + grinder to the first sweet-seeming youngins you see in a coffeeshop before you leave the country.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 15, 2019

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
What club? Do you mean coffeeshop? Coffeeshops are the only places you should be smoking. It's not cool to just walk around with a spliff, but feel free to wander the city stoned so long as you are coherent and not in danger of getting lost. There are cooler places to see than the Red Light District, in my opinion.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Drone posted:

Oh whoops, sorry, thought I mentioned it in there. Yep, Amsterdam. Staying near Amsterdam RAI.

Kartika will be a short tram ride away from you and is delicious. There's also a nice proeflokaal right by it called Golem's.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Deviantfish posted:

I'm mainly interested in nature (though I suck at difficult hikes) and relaxedly stumbling through towns.
You could save some time by not going to London if these are your main aims. You could also consider Wales and the English counties bordering it, which have some lovely countryside. Though there's lovely countryside all over, to be honest.

Pick two from your list of countries and have a week in each. Don't try to zip all over those two countries, either - pick a couple of places and spend a few days in each. I know you're coming from far away and I know there's a temptation to see as much as possible, but you'll enjoy it more if you find peace with the fact that you will only really be able to see a few places.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

runawayturtles posted:

Anyway, with that rough itinerary, my main concerns were more that I wasn't sure if we have enough time in Amsterdam proper (like 1.5 - 2 days total, so we could cut Rotterdam for more Amsterdam if we want), and I wasn't sure if one day in each Belgian city is a reasonable enough approach.

You need four days for Amsterdam. If all you can manage is three then do that. There's a lot to see and do, and bimbling along is also important otherwise you get museum'd out. Also make sure to graze on cheese samples at the 'cheese museum' (touristic cheese shop) across from the Anne Frank museum because free cheese is nice.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
My husband and I are considering being stereotypical and going to Paris for our 10 year anniversary in October. Looking for suggestions for places to stay and a 3-4 day itinerary. I have no interest in going into the Louvre, art museums/galleries just don't interest me but I love museums more generally.

kiimo posted:

To be specific, I am sure we'll find our own things to do in Dublin like see the illuminated manuscripts and drink ourselves stupid every day. I'm wondering about where to go from there.

I've posted about Dublin in the thread. I reckon you need about four days there.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Great tips re: Latin Quarter, we'd been considering they area originally based on how it seemed about 15 years ago so it's handy to know it's not great now.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Saladman posted:

Yeah I’ve heard it used to be nice, but its soul has been replaced by souvenir shops and terrible French restaurants catering to ripping off tourists. There are still some nice places there (like Shakespeare and Company) but i wouldn’t recommend anyone to stay there.

If you both speak French, then there are always a ton of shows going on. You can stop by the Hôtel de Ville and see what’s going on; often even free or cheap. Probably all over the city but IME I always seem to end up going out in 10th or 19th when we visit. Generally I find the north bank of the Seine (left? Right? Christ i can never remember the river convention) to be more interesting than the south, kind of like London. That said if you’re near a good metro line it doesn’t matter that much, even though Paris is enormous and there’s something cool on almost every arrondissement. I’d agree also that 9th is nice to stay in; I guess that’s what I actually meant by Montmartre. The more typical "Montmartre" itself is kind of a hassle since it’s on a huge hill. I kind of like the touristyness there as it’s mostly artists schlocking their stuff and not migrants selling umbrellas, roses, and plastic keychains. That said I haven’t been up to sacré cœur in about 5 years, even though I spend 5 or 6 days in Paris every year, so maybe it’s gotten generic gift shop-ified too.

No French that isn't cobbled together from long-forgotten lessons at school, unfortunately. Thanks for the other tips though.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Last time I was in Paris I stayed here with my wife. It is on the border of the 9th & 2nd arrondissement, walking distance to the river, and all north facing train stations. All their rooms were industrial grade soundproof, so we slept like a rock. Great for a couple on an anniversary.

Looks lovely but is about double our budget!

Chikimiki posted:

Louvre is absolutely worth it, it is huge and there is a lot of variety. So even if you're not that interested in paintings (though there are some really amazing ones), you can check out the classical egyptian or greek areas where they keep the stuff that was stolen found abroad. Also, it's only 15€ and you can book ahead online.

Other cool museums, depending on your interests, are:
- the Musée du Quai Branly, which is dedicated to indigenous cultures around the world
- the Musée des Arts et Métiers, where you can find a bunch of old instruments, inventions, prototypes, etc. Very nerdy but if you're into that it's really interesting.

Quai Branly especially sounds right up my alley, cheers!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Lady Gaza posted:

British Airways (unsurprisingly) cancelled my flight to Naples but are only offering a voucher as way of compensation on their site. I know I’m entitled to a cash refund but can’t get through to their call centre.

My flights aren't (yet) cancelled, but when I tried to call I got a message saying "Due to a high number of calls, we are unable to take your call right now. Please try again later." then an automated hang-up. Not sure at what point to try via my credit card provider, as advice seems to be really inconsistent.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Shy posted:

Just came back from Istanbul and wow, what a fantastic city. I think I'll just go there again if EU doesn't let me in.

It is great and so vast. I'd like to go back one day.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks guys, we'll add it to the list of places that we should go to when we can again. I've always wanted to go. :sigh:

I went for Christmas in 2014 and it was great. You will make it one day!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Assuming we make it through the winter with minimal lockdowns etc, where would be good to go from England in mid-February? Trying to get some places on my radar and personal recommendations are nice.

And since this thread is frequented by people in Europe and not just people travelling to, I'll add (if it's not too much of a derail) that I'd take recommendations outside Europe if the flight is fairly short!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Saladman posted:

He meant the opposite: that the weather is poo poo in Europe unless you visit the Alps, in which case mid-Feb is magic.

For Bollock Monkey: I'd say it also depends on what airport is the nearest to you that has direct flights. All of North Africa is pretty great in that season although the north coast can be pretty rainy (but not cold). The Greek islands are pretty much shut down so wouldn't be my top vote, except Cyprus and Crete, which are big enough to not completely shut in winter. Malta is nice in winter too and also remains open in winter. Israel too. Lebanon would be nice if it wasn't in the throes of economic collapse. Southern coastal Turkey would be nice then then too. Istanbul is chilly and raining but it's never all that bad.

The Alps are great if you like winter sports and spas. While the lowlands are cloudy/foggy all winter in the Alps, the higher slopes themselves have sun more often than not even if the towns are blanketed in never-ending grey.

Thanks, good to know about Malta because that was already in my consideration.

I've been to Istanbul and Athens, so a new country would be cool. Other bits of Turkey could be a good idea anyway though!

Doubt I'll ever bother with the Alps because sadly my husband can't ski due to a historic injury and it seems like sports and chalets are the only things to do around there?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

MagicCube posted:

I really enjoyed Malta - went in January 2017 for a week. Weather was decent, (pretty much) everyone speaks English and they drive on the left. Perfect for Brits in the winter.

I rented a car and drove around Malta and Gozo over 7 days based in Valletta and was able to see everything I wanted and then some. I lean towards Saladman's view, that near the end I was kind of running out of things to do so I spent my last day just driving around off the main roads (which was still very enjoyable).

Was luckily able to see the Azure Window just a couple of weeks before it was destroyed in a storm as well.

Malta is sounding really interesting. How was driving around? Proximity to Italy makes me anxious about road etiquette!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
So I just got back from a week in Iceland and holy gently caress, did we get unlucky with the weather. Delayed by a storm in the UK and then had plans cancelled because of storms in Iceland, which were apparently relatively normal in strength but unusual to have so many bad ones packed into the same week.

Feels like I only scratched the surface because of the constant storms meaning that getting out of the city was a challenge. And even though I was aware it's an expensive place, I had really underestimated quite how expensive it is. Just adding that to reinforce the point in case anyone else is using this thread for research.

If I make it back I certainly think I'll go later in the year and look into self-catering options. Pretty disappointed that I spent so much time stuck in the city when there's so much nature to be experienced. But I did get to touch a glacier and that's pretty darn cool!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Sand Monster posted:

I've heard that too but curious if you could share any personal anecdotes of what you experienced.

I spent £34 / $45US on four 300ml beers, which wasn't unusual.
Cheap meals were ~£15 / $20, for example a (decent sized!) lamb wrap or a plate of noodles + protein. £9 / $12 for a caramel latte and 2 scoops of ice cream.
Perlan, which is a museum/man-made ice cave (bit gimmicky but sort of fun)/viewing platform/planetarium combo (spent a morning there) was £54 / $72 entry for two people. We ended up getting a Citycard for some reduced museum entry and bus travel on subsequent days.

We chose nice hotels deliberately because this was a birthday trip and spent something like £120-140 / $180 per night.

I think we also ended up having to spend more overall by necessity because the weather meant that being outdoors was anywhere from quite unpleasant to actively dangerous, so the usual cheap day of wandering around, or the option to travel further from the main strip (as it were) for food wasn't really possible.

Saladman posted:

On the plus side, no entrance fees to anything except for the hot baths
No entrance fees for the nice nature stuff, but all the museums have a charge!

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 2, 2022

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Residency Evil posted:

Wife and I are thinking of traveling in May to London with a 2-3 month old infant. Tentatively planning on staying in London around Mayfair/Hyde Park for about a week. She's spent some time in London but I've never been.

Obviously our expectations are low-ish, but does anyone have any suggestions/tips for things that might/might not be appropriate?

Regarding the accessible stations thing (though as previously noted, London is very walkable), Transport for London has some useful info on its website. I'd be inclined to agree that wearing the baby will be less annoying, if that's a thing you can/want to do!

London is a well-developed, modern city. You'll be able to sort your baby out in most places. Did you have any specific worries or queries?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Nah, museums are for everyone. Maybe don't go to some special experiential exhibition if you're worried, but they are public places where everyone is allowed! Don't worry about it.

Random aside, the Wellcome Collection is one of my favourite museums and worth a visit. It's right by Euston station, and a 10-15min amble to the British Museum too.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks!

Out of curiosity: would it be worth it to take a day trip out of London anywhere if we're there for a week? Cambridge? Oxford?
It's easy enough to do if you do fancy it. Cambridge and Oxford are obvious ones, you can also get to the seaside (e.g. Brighton, Whitstable) in ~an hour. Bath is about 1h20 on the train but might be worth it if you're interested in visiting the Roman baths and seeing somewhere with quite different architecture etc. It really depends what sort of stuff you want to see and do! There are relatively easy ways to get out to see some gorgeous countryside as well, but I say 'relatively easy' with a baby in mind.

Ibblebibble posted:

fake edit: looks like South Ken station Piccadilly line access is closed until summer, so disregard that particular piece of advice. The museums are still worth visiting though.
Mayfair to Knightsbridge/South Ken is a nice walk though!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Any tips for Ljubljana? Bars, restaurants, hidden gems?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Entropist posted:

for relatively easy day trips you can go to lake Bled and walk around it + see the castle, or the caves of Postojna. There are buses to these places.
We have 2 days (Sun+Mon) at Lake Bled actually. Planning on a daytrip of caves + Piran from our Ljubljana base though!

HookShot + Saladman posted:

It's a great city to just get kind of lost in.
also thirding/four thing that Ljubljana is great.
Perfect, we love wandering around too so that's good to hear.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
We're looking at this tour. Used to be snobby about organised tours but actually the last couple of places we've been it's been a great way of seeing a few things in a day with less hassle than if you had to rely on public transport.

Cheese Thief posted:

I would like to go to Slovenia too! I had never even heard of the country before. What might be a good itinerary? I am solo and could stay in Europe for at least a month, or a month and a half. I am very open minded but wouldn’t particularly want to spend a fortune.

We're doing:
Day 1
- Arrive Ljubljana AM
- Around Ljubljana, sightseeing, museums etc

Day 2
- Full day trip - Skocjan Caves, Piran

Day 3
- Around Ljubljana, sightseeing, museums etc

Day 4
- Predjama Castle, Postojna Cave, secret rooms
- Relaxing afternoon/evening of some sort ahead of trip to Bled

Day 5
- Leave early for Bled
- Bled Castle, etc

Day 6
- Vintgar Gorge
- Other national park type thing in the area?

Day 7
- Leave early for airport

If we had longer we'd go over to Zagreb because I really want to go to the Museum of Broken Relationships. We've ended up choosing Slovenia after our 2020 trip to Croatia ended up, well, being a plan made for 2020, and finding that Slovenia is small enough that you can see a bit more in the amount of time we want to be away. You could totally go Italy - Slovenia - Croatia over a month without it being too insane, depending on where in those countries you choose to be.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

mobby_6kl posted:

I'll have two substantial layovers in Dublin so I'll be free to walk around for most of the day. Any pro tips? Is there such a thing as Irish fast/street food?

They are mad on doughnuts!

If you want far too much food for not much money (in Dublin terms) then hit up McGuinness Traditional Take Away. Or you can get fish and chips from Leo Burdock's.

Pop into The Brazen Head, oldest pub in Dublin, for a beer.

If you have time, I'd recommend a trip to The Little Museum of Dublin - it's super interesting!

You can visit The National Museum of Ireland for free and there's heaps of cool Viking/Bronze Age stuff to look at.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Rolo posted:

Edinburgh. I love hiking, drinking, eating, history and history related drinking. My family is Scottish and I've never been so maybe I could connect with that a little.

You have to hike up to Arthur's Seat!
Eat at Indaba, Mimi's Bakehouse and Mosque Kitchen (of which there are two, make sure you go to the place on Nicolson Square).
Visit The National Museum of Scotland
Drink at The Hanging Bat and Rose Street Garden (decent street food type things here, including veggie haggis bonbons that were so good!). See if you can go to Brauhaus - I really wanted to but it was full when I tried.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

asur posted:

Dublin is not worth visiting on its own and you'll see it anyway if you visit Ireland.
This is bollocks, sorry.

Elysium - we've just been talking about short trips to Dublin, have a look at my posts in here.

Lisbon is awesome and I think 5 days is about right. We had 5 nights and spent two days in Sintra. I've posted about that trip here as well I think.

But if Barcelona looks cool then go for it!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Cheers to whoever recommended Sir William's Pub!

Bloody Mayhem posted:

I’ll be visiting Germany in early September and spending about two weeks there.
Any suggestions?

Head to Berlin, for sure. The Berliner Dom is genuinely cool, get the audio tour. The DDR Museum is really interesting and taught me a bunch of stuff I didn't know, it's very kid-friendly but that doesn't detract for adult visitors I don't think. I also really enjoyed seeing the original Bodyworlds (Körperwelten) exhibition. Lots of good places for food and drinks too.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Huh! We saw him in Ljubljana in June, I guess!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Going round trip to London for 17 days. I want to see as much of the UK as possible without overextending myself tooo much. Ideally hit up Edinburgh and Dublin as well. Any good advice or recommendations on where to stay, what to see, etc? I’m doing plenty of research myself but y’all have given me great advice in the past so tia.

Usual rules apply, don't go somewhere for 5 minutes just to say you went. It really depends what you want to see and are interested in.

I reckon 2-4 full days in Dublin, depending on what you're after. I spent a long weekend there and didn't run out of things to do (I am a UK national), but I really like museums and wandering and eating/drinking. The Little Museum of Dublin is really good, and I thought the Guinness Storehouse was genuinely fun despite being one of those branded hyper-touristic things.

Edinburgh is similar, and it depends if you want to get up to Arthur's Seat or something else out of the city centre whilst you're there. The National Museum of Scotland is pretty good, and has a fun geology section. I wouldn't bother with the castle. Fountainbridge is a good spot to stay - out of the main city hustle and bustle, but super easy to walk into town and has lots of places to eat and drink. Bonnington is really convenient too.

Bath is a nice place to visit, and the Roman Baths are worth going to. You can also get to Stonehenge easily, which seems like a no-brainer if you have such a decent amount of time to play with.

What are your interests, are you after city breaks or a mix of city and countryside? Do you want to go to the beach? You don't mention the time of year you're visiting, either, and that will make a big difference because Edinburgh in August and Edinburgh in February are very different trips.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I’m going late September. Ideally I’d rather not rent a car and deal with that headache and the stress of driving all backwards (I’m also going solo). I have a friend I’m meeting out there in Leicester for a couple days but otherwise it’s just me. And I’m down to just explore the cities themselves. The countryside is nice but it’s an extra layer of planning. Basically I want to hit up a broad swathe because god knows when I’ll ever get back out there again.
You've still not said a lot about what your interests are. Cities people rate (other than London, Edinburgh and Dublin) in the UK include:
Liverpool
York
Bath
Oxford
Cambridge
Brighton
Inverness
Glasgow
Belfast

And in Wales... you don't really go to Wales for the cities.

It might be worth starting with some of those and seeing what's there/nearby that interests you. I think you only need to pick one out of Oxford, Cambridge and Bath, and I'd still go for Bath because the baths are rad and Stonehenge is easily accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I'm going to be in Istanbul solo for two weeks in October, the first week I'm studying full time but the second week is for touristing. I'm interested in food, wine, and byzantine/ottoman history. Don't really care about nightlife and I don't want to sleep right in the middle of tourist central, althought I accept I will be going to a bunch of touristy places during the day

Karakoy looks like a good place to base myself for the second week, close to sultanahmet without being in it and lots of cafes etc. Kadikoy on the Asia side looked interesting too, but a bit more of a commute to the tourist sites. Any other recommendations?

Old thread but perhaps helpful: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687966

I enjoyed staying in Sultanahmet, to be honest. It was quiet, safe, and super easy to get everywhere. We stayed at Emine Sultan and the worst thing was the call to prayer waking up the stray dogs, who then had a good old shout about it.