Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost
Next week I’m going on a little tour of Milan, Turin, Genoa, Florence (each 1-2 nights), a weekend in Bologna, then a few days in Bergamo. Any advice on those cities or cool things to see there? I’m particularly excited to stuff my face in Bologna, open to suggestions for mind blowing food there. Thank you all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost
Thank you both so much for the suggestions— I feel like I have a clear picture of what I want to do in Turin now. I’ll be keeping an eye out for those steps in Bologna, too. To answer both your questions, I will be taking the train for getting between cities and will not be driving, so no risk of getting smacked down by ZTLs (I appreciate everyone in the thread making the risks very clear)! Anyway, happy to keep hearing suggestions for the other cities (or second opinions on Turin). We will be in Bergamo for a few days as opposed to the more rapid cadence of the Milan-Turin-Genoa leg of the trip.

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost
Thanks for all the great ideas and recommendations! I can share some thoughts once I’m back to pay it forward to the thread. Looking at Italian reviews is an especially good idea.

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Echoing the earlier questions about Italy, I have a trip coming up this summer (July/August) going through Venice (3 days), Florence (4 days), Rome (5 days), and the Amalfi Coast (6 days).

I've been to Rome before, so I have a pretty solid idea of what to do there, but any suggestions for the other areas would be much appreciated.

And thank you to everyone who gave some info about England and Scotland last year - really helped make my trip memorable!

First off, super exciting! I’m no expert but a few thoughts on Venice from my one 3 day visit there:
- I greatly enjoyed the Doge’s palace. Even coming from Florence just before I was absolutely stunned speechless at the beauty and intricacy of the art lining every wall. We got a guided tour called “secrets of the palace” or the like that took us through some of the jails and torture chambers in the back of the palace - evidently in the most serene republic of Venice serenity wasn't always serene.
- Gondola ride isn't cheap but is worth it. I found going right around sunset was a good call as you get to see the city before and after dark- we did one that went out on the grand canal right as the lights were coming on and it was great.
- There are inexpensive tours on tripadvisor that will take you out to Murano, Burano, and Torcello. These were each very memorable and give a sense of what outer Venice looked like historically- Murano is known for its glassblowing, Burano for colorful houses (instagram island) and Torcello for having 8 or so permanent residents and a church that has existed since like the 800s.
- Venice is the ultimate random walk city. Walk into a random church and see the most beautiful architecture of your life until you go into another random one down the street. Marvel at the idiosyncrasy and beauty of this one of a kind miraculous gem of a city.
-Check out the Jewish ghetto (Canalreggio I believe) for a slightly less touristy part of the city.
- Expect the food to be more expensive and lower quality, unfortunately.

Mushroom Zingdom fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 10, 2024