Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

unixbeard posted:

bring 2 quid to put on the dash.

Is that a custom with truckers? I just started hitching in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

speakerbeeker posted:

How good is Eastern Europe when it comes to veggie options?

Not good, sorry. You might have better luck in the major cities: I've eaten Indian food in several Polish cities, and they always have vegetarian options, and I went to an actual vegetarian restaurant in Prague but it was pretty bad. Because most of those cities are landlocked, don't expect great seafood options either.

I bet Munich has plenty to offer though.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

duralict posted:

The pickpocket threat in Barcelona is highly overblown at this point. You still shouldn't leave poo poo lying around where it can easily be grabbed but Las Ramblas is very different than it was five years ago.

However if a Ramblas whore walks up and grabs your balls, try not to be immediately paralyzed by fits of drunken laughter - her other hand is in your pocket!

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

In the unlikely event anyone's in the north of England, you can get a special weekend (Fri PM-Mon AM) rate from Salford Van Hire (starting at £75 for a small car.) That's always the cheapest option here in my experience, but there might be other companies who generally cater to business customers and want to offload their cars cheaply over the weekend.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Every German I've ever met hates DB with a passion. Every Brit I've ever spoken to who's used the trains in Germany says the system is awesome and then has a big cry.

German trains had a great reputation, then they followed the excellent example set by the US and UK in constantly deferring infrastructure repair/renewal. They have an appalling punctuality record now.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Saladman posted:

No, they're fine, there's just not much variety in any given locale. Nationally there are some varieties, but in any individual city, good luck finding anything besides the local two lagers in a restaurant or bar, plus maybe one other variety, whereas in e.g. the US, basically any nice restaurant will have 10 very different beers to choose from, and any bar that's not a trucker dive bar will have even more variety. YMMV.

The whole point of drinking beer in Germany is drinking a great, fresh, local product that has stood the test of time. Not everyone cares about craft beer, a scene that's only existed for like 40 years.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

kiimo posted:

The lack of preservatives and the country having whatever purity standards (at least that's just on the beer these days!) might be giving me a placebo effect but I find German beer delicious in a way that you can't find at an LA gas station

Yep, it's great.

Fruits of the sea posted:

What I love about German beer is all the cheap supermarket lager is actually really good. Not some mind-blowing experience but miles beyond what you get in most other countries. Augustiner Lagerbier Helle is probably my all-time favourite piss beer to drink on a hot summer day and its something I found in a random corner store for like 1 euro.

Or go to a St. Pauli bar and get wrecked on Astra with a bunch of football anarchists.

Price is a big thing for me, too. Fundamentally, beer is made of cheap ingredients and it's the traditional drink of the masses in most of northern Europe. You should be able to get good beer for cheap, and Germans understand this, just like the French demand their baguette is both delicious and less than a euro (my prices might be out of date.) Craft breweries can't do this because of economies of scale which is fine, but it's also why their market share is miniscule literally everywhere.

Saladman posted:

Different people have different tastes and like different things. Variety is nice to have. If bars only sold IPAs that would also be lame. I like Italian food a lot but I don’t want to eat a pizza every day either.

Yeah, and I'm only really ranting about this because I've been to Germany with friends who demanded we spent time in a craft beer bar paying 6€ for mediocre IPA rather than drinking good, cheap beer in bars with local people. I like to check out local spots on holiday, but it certainly helps that I absolutely love traditional German beer styles and beer hall food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

I occasionally see European men wearing football (soccer) shirts while travelling. My guess is they want strangers to approach them and chat football, which is quite likely to happen if eg. you're wearing a Premier League shirt in a country where PL is popular. Maybe this is true of Americans as well (much less likelihood of it happening, but could be a conversation starter when meeting other Americans.)