Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Other than Madrid and Barcelona what are some good places to see in Spain?

Coming through from the south of france with around 2 weeks of travelling.

Places I've briefly looked at include Granada and Zaragoza. What about some of the islands scattered about? Anyone been to Andorra?

You could probably lump in portugal as well (and add a few days)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Liface posted:

Valencia!

Reasons/specifics?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

DownByTheWooter posted:

I don't think Switzerland is the same place as "everywhere", I broke some out in Italy with some Australians and French kids, and none of them had heard of them.

I can get reese's cups in numerous places in Australia....

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Im doing a ~6 week trip with my girlfriend this January/February.

So far the plan is Spain > France > England > Iceland (was going to be opposite with iceland at the end still but flying london > iceland is easier)

Granada
Madrid
Bibao
San Sebastian
Barcelona
Bordeaux Region (staying with my aunt and uncle)
Paris
London (staying with my sister)
Iceland

Zaragoza, Valencia are still a toss up. Im not too convinced by those or whether we stay longer in barca/madrid.

Day trips out of london will be taken as we will be there the longest due to free accommodation (7-10 days). But I was wondering if theres anything I should check out along the way which you guys reccomend.

Also whats the cheapest airline to fly to Iceland?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

You can get single rooms in a lot of hostels.

Some are just the 6/8/10 bed dorms but theres loads that offer 1 bed, A private double bed (you will have to pay for two people) or 3 bed. A 3 bed dorm shouldn't feel too crowded.

Go to hostelworld.com and browse the hostels. They will have ratings and reviews and list the different room configurations.

On this topic.

Where abouts is the main attractions in Granada? Other than the Alhambra I'm unsure where we should look to stay.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Ziir posted:

One more is gomio.com which I prefer. I still use hostelworld.com as my goto source for information though (more people post reviews there), and then just book with gomio.com if I can.

Why is this? Prices cheaper?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Ziir posted:

OK, I've decided I'm going to Paris in January with some friends. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which arrondissement we'd want to stay in/avoid?

Edit: I'm thinking this one because the reviews are decent and it's one of the cheapest (22€) but that all depends on how accessible the place is.

Well any of the ones that border the 1st will be in the best location. But you are likely to pay a bit more for that. Once you get out to the 17th, 18th and 19th I find that its getting a bit too far out for my liking (I like to be able to walk back to my room at the end of the day usually). I wouldnt go out any further than you are. We were looking at that one as well but ended up getting an apartment type place down near the bastille on the river for about 30 euros a night each.

As for the places to avoid. Pigalle is the red light district between the 9th and 18th. Its probably where you'll find the more seedier things but then again some people like that nightlife and the interesting things about it. Its not a no-go area or anything as things like the Moulin Rouge are there.

Does anyone want to confirm that I'm right in assuming all the really ghetto poor areas are in the suburbs of Paris and theres really nowhere you'd consider a no-go zone?

Fists Up fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 5, 2010

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Someone want to tell me why the raileurope website is a load of crap and won't let me see anything for travelling in spain?

We have a 6 day railpass. I know that to get to Madrid to Granada is possible as its stated on the Renfe website. I want to see if we can do Madrid > Cordoba > Granada as that might be quicker.

However whenever I try to look up anything on the raileurope website it gives me poo poo

quote:

Schedules were not found. For longer journeys (more than 2 connections) it is sometimes necessary to break it down. Please check our interactive map to assist you. If you have checked your travel dates and tried dividing your itinerary no reservations may be available for that route or trains may be sold out.

I've tried it for numerous places including madrid>barcelona and a whole heap of others. I really doubt that every single trip around spain has been booked out.

What the hell is going on? Do I even need to book through this crap or can I go through a different site and state I have a pass? Its working for bookings in france which is odd.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Grenyarnia posted:

No this will be my first new years since I turned 21. I had no idea that was the norm though.

New Years is a big money spinner for clubs and stuff so they will always charge for that one night because they can often be assured of a large turnout. This is for most cities. Personally I don't really like being in a club during NYE countdown (rather I go after). I think in Berlin the main fireworks and stuff are around the Brandenburg Gate? Might be cool to go there with the crowds.

several wet dogs posted:

That's good to hear, thank you. The general consensus seems to be "you'll be fine", but that website really caught me by surprise. I wasn't concerned at all before I found it!

We should be taking a ferry from the Greek Islands (haven't decided which one yet) to the Aegan or Mediterranean regions, and will work our way up from there, with possible detours to Pamukalle and Cappadocia (as far east as I'm comfortable going).

Turkey is fine. Those sites are generally over cautious. Hell the Australian one says to be very cautious in the USA. Risk of terror attacks etc but you wouldnt really say its a problem no?

I think Spain, India, UAE, Turkey all have the same ratings so take that as you will. I wouldn't consider those places to be off the list (unless you are going to the areas which border Iraq etc.)

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Just read through this whole thread for future planning and I just wanted to say thanks. I also wanted to say, its hilarious that everyone is getting robbed in Barcelona because I had friends who went all over Spain and that was the one place where everyone said they got hassled the most.

In fact, a few friends if I recall the story correctly were staying in a hotel that was on the first floor. Which is to say the room was something like 8-12 feet off the ground level but they left a window ajar. They left for a few hours and when they returned, someone had somehow climbed up the wall (8-12 feet) and got in their room and basically stolen all their stuff. Fun times in Barcelona!

Also a side question. I've had friends who have traveled all over the Europe but they were all white. The one asian guy I know when he was in Paris noticed a lot more people talking poo poo to him in French, although he simply chocked that up to the "stereotype" of rudeness, which is in fact kind of a fallacy since there are assholes in every city/country in the world. I don't think they realized he knew French quite well. What I'm asking is as an Asian person myself, is there any countries I guess I should be more 'wary' of?

Obviously any major city in Europe is going to be your typical major progressive city and what not, but I was also considering doing a big lap through eastern europe and was just wondering if anyone had any experience with any sort of weird race issues? I myself am not concerned in the slightest but any sort of additional information on such stuff would be nice to know.

Russia is quite a racist place towards black people. Not sure about asian people.

EDIT: That came out weird. Russians CAN be racist towards black people. So hopefully a person wouldn't experience it but they should be ready to expect it.

Fists Up fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 13, 2010

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Allia posted:

My 12th grade class went to Malta for a week from Smalltown!Germany and most of them got robbed blind. Did you know that you can't just leave a backpack with your wallet and passport on the beach while you go swimming?

I asked them just what they were thinking, and they replied that "well, other people were around, I thought they'd watch it for me." I was so close to going "yeah, watch themselves/others walk off with it."

I've heard a lot about Barcelona and other countries in the Mediterranean, but have had no problems myself. Seriously, I think common sense and a certain bearing go a long way. Don't leave your poo poo around, don't leave windows open, hide valuables, lock doors, be aware of your surroundings.

Ive always wondered. What do you do with your stuff then? Do they have lockers at the beach? Pretty much always leave my poo poo lying around in Sydney. No problems :D

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Do you have travel insurance?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

What is the name of the transport companies in the basque region? I forgot them.

Also if anyone has any pointers for getting from San Sebastian to Bordeaux I would appreciate :)

I can get to Bordeaux from Hendaye train station just across the border in france easily but getting from San Sebasitan to there seems to give me a few options. Theres trains that run to Irun in Spain and I walk across to Hendaye or there might be a few direct to Hendaye. Same with buses.

Or its only a ~20km trip. How much would a taxi from san sebastian cost me?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

kissekatt posted:

I'm going to Paris with my family for an extended weekend trip (Thursday noon - Monday noon) next week. Two of us have been to Paris before, three haven't. I have been considering visiting Versailles. On the one hand I'd like to actually see Versailles, but on the other hand it's over an hour in total travelling time back and forth and it might be the wrong season (bare gardens and similar) so I'm currently leaning against it. Any thoughts?

Also any suggestions on what to see beyond the standard fare (Eiffel tower, Sacre Coeur, Notre Dame...), perhaps the catacombs?

I went to Versaille a few weeks ago. I've also been in Summer/Autumn a few years ago.

Whilst the weather wasn't great you still see a lot of the gardens as so much of it is greenery anyway. All hedges and trees and stuff. A lot of the statues are covered up but all the fountains were still out there to see.

Its still a very nice place to walk around and the inside of the palaces is quite cool to see. Although the wind can really hit you if its a poo poo day so try to go when its calm and at least half sunny or something.

Also remember that the first sunday of every month means free visits to Paris's museums. The queues will look horrendous (mainly to the louvre) but they move really quickly as no one is buying tickets. We did a few and it means you don't really feel the need to spend more than an hour or two in some. Just checked out a few paintings. Did an hour in a specific section and moved on.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Umbriago posted:

I'm considering backpacking in Spain in the summer, during which time I need internet access so that I can apply for work while I'm out there. What's the public access to wifi internet like? I'd prefer to camp and bring my laptop into cafes and libraries etc., but if public access to wifi is poo poo then I might have to stop in hostels with internet access.

In the UK I can plonk myself in McDonalds for and use their wireless internet for free if I was so inclined, I want to know if there's anything like that out in Spain.

We used the McDonald's in spain for their wifi.

Otherwise we just found it was at all our hostels. Some cafe's had it but not as many as we found in France.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Vogler posted:

I ordered an airline ticket to Barcelona at the spur of the moment, and I'm going there this Wednesday for a week. I have no plans so all suggestions are welcome. Interests include eating food and walking around, but I'm going there alone so I don't want to eat at fancy restaurants by myself.

I'll look at B&Bs online tonight I think.

Go the the fruit, vegetable and meat market on la rambla. Its the best market we saw in Europe.

Txapela Euskal Taberna is a freaking fantastic place for Pintxos (like Basque tapas). Seriously good stuff and you can just sit at the bar so you won't really be a loner. It was better than most of the food we had in the basque region and the menu is pretty easy to order from. Its on 8 Passeig de Gracia just about 100m down from plaza catalunya.

Its this place http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=en&xhr=t&q=txapela+barcelona&cp=8&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1024&bih=598

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

GLITTER AND GREASE posted:

I love the idea of driving through quaint towns since I love the history and architecture of Europe, however; my younger sister is more focused on the main points. She's interested in the big cities and bright lights so to speak (she lives in a small city in Canada). Though I would love to go to Nice as that's where part of our family originates from.

Now I've heard driving through Europe can be horrifying and I will add that I can't drive stick AND I will be under 25 when we go. I am thinking the rail pass will be the easier thing for us to go with. With that being said how easy will it be to navigate around the big cities without a car? Do most have a transit system that's accessable?

I found the small towns in France so loving dead/dull (mainly in winter). Although in England and some other countries the villages can be quite nice.

Also driving coastal roads and stuff is much nicer IMO. Amalfi coast, riviera etc.

If you live in a major city now and drive in it you will be fine. I didn't find it too daunting driving in Paris and Rome compared to driving in Sydney except for the fact we didn't have GPS then which would have been a godsend. The biggest difficulty is knowing where to go.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I'm leaving Sydney in about 10 days, flying to London for 2 nights, a week in paris, then 2 weeks in Italy. We'll be in private rooms in hostels and apartments the entire time. I have a credit card with a pin, but it's something like $5 + 3% transaction fee every time I use it internationally.

I was considering changing money in Australia, say about 500 euro, and taking that over in cash. Someone said it would work out better changing it into $US and then changing it locally as required, so for the 2 nights in london we'd get some pounds, and convert the rest into euros when in paris. Is this correct, or does changing it twice accumulate enough fees to remove any benefit from exchanging locally via a more global currency?

Or should I just change some money here into euros, keep it til paris, and just pay for the 2 nights in london from my credit card? We have accommodation booked, we'd just need internal travel, food, etc.

Go into ANZ or Westpac (Or your bank, commonwealth is shitter when it comes to these) and look into a travel visa/mastercard. You basically convert all the money here and use it as an ATM card. They give you two on the spot so you dont have to wait for one in the mail. You get two so if you lose one or it gets stolen you have a backup and just cancel the one card.

Now they don't have your name on it so I found that some places wouldn't accept it like a debit card for purchases. This was mainly in spain/france. London had absolutely no problems with accepting it. I pretty much just used it as an ATM card and withdrew cash.

I think they cost around $10-20. You only pay the ~$2 ATM fee. No conversion % or anything.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

The Flying Clog Wog posted:

As posted by the others there are loads of London threads where you can post as well, but yeah, tickets for a big game like that will be expensive and may well cost £100. I would recommend you go to a pub or bar. Which one depends on which club you support. There are generally a few away fans bars near most football stadiums, and many home and neutral ones.

Also if you do want to experience a live football game (and I do recommend it), have a look at many of the other clubs in London. I support Fulham and our tickets are generally easily available and quite cheap, around £30 or so. West Ham, QPR, Charlton etc. should all be easily available too.

Craven Cottage (where Fulham play) has the benefit of having better atmosphere than the Emirates as well.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

The Flying Clog Wog posted:

Chelsea is our local rival (stadium is about 2km away from ours) and those games are much more heated and the risk or something going wrong is simply higher. But even then we all walk to the stadium together. I don't think I've ever actually seen any fights around the stadium or anything, not even during those games.

Next year Queens Park Rangers will more than likely play in the Premier League too, which is the other big local rivalry - we've not been in the same league for many years now.

Mind you other people's experiences at other clubs might be quite different - Fulham is a pretty small and inoffensive club that is well liked by most other football fans. It's nothing like Rangers vs. Celtic or Arsenal vs. Tottenham.

I went to the Fulham v Chelsea game in February and all the chelsea supporters were happily walking to the stadium with the Fulham supporters. However I would assume that a night game like that between some other teams like Birmingham v Villa would have a bit more tension.

It probably helps that fulham and chelsea are quite affluent areas.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Matty D posted:

My gf and I are going to on a bit of a jaunt through italy this spring, but we are interested in going to Spain. The lady is in love with Barcelona, so that is a must. I do ask, if we don't go to Madrid, will we be missing out? I ask, because I really know nothing about the city.

For reference we will be spending 6-9 days in Spain. In Italy we basically be on the move trying to see all we can, so I wouldn't mind if Spain was more of a relaxed period of the vacation. That's why I worry that going to Madrid would be trying to spread it a little thin.

TL:DR - we are going to spain for Barcelona. What would we be missing out on if we blew off Madrid?

Probably not.

We did nearly every city in Spain and it wasn't as good as many others.

We went to Madrid first so didn't have previous examples to go off but I dont think theres anything in Madrid that you HAVE to see. Barcelona is nicer as far as restaurants/bars anyway. Madrid was a bit grungier.

There are things I like about it though.

I'd go to Granada over either of them though :D

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

duralict posted:

Well, I got the Eurail pass, so in theory I can do some last-minute moving around without shelling out much extra, right? I gather there are surcharges and such in France and Italy and that it doesn't cover the Eurostar lines, though, and when I looked up Eurostar prices I was pretty amazed at what they charge for a 2 hour train trip. I guess I don't have much choice, though, and I should pretty much buy it right now?

It looks like I'll be spending 3-4 days in London. I like museums and historical sites, and London has no shortage of those, but I don't really know much about them or how far apart they are. I'm flying there first mainly because the flight was $250, I didn't do much research on London itself before booking it. Also I haven't gotten any of my couchsurfing requests responded to yet, so if yall know of a decent hostel that would be very helpful too.

Thanks for the thread and parislogue links, I will poke through them!

Theres a bunch of decent museums in South Kensington which are all right next door to each other. The natural history musueum is quite impressive IMO. Think Charles Darwin. Or the science if thats more your thing. I really enjoyed the history of medical science part. We pretty much blazed through there as we didn't have enough time to see all of it.

Then most of the art museums are walking distance from the city. National gallery, tate modern etc.

British museum is the other one. I forget where it is... I think near tottenham court road station? This is more your egyptian artefacts kind of thing. Elgin marbles (from the pantheon) and stuff are all there.

Either way all of them are a few tube stops away and its not likely you'll be cramming in 3 or 4 in a single day.

Go to the tower of london as well. Very well worth it.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Saladman posted:

You will basically never find free public wi-fi. You can literally walk for hours in Paris without finding an unsecured wi-fi spot (speaking from experience). OTOH you can go to McDonalds, order fries, and use their WiFi.

Its not that difficult (well I guess you're definition is finding an unsecured spot or something). And you don't exactly have to order something at maccas to use it. Either stand outside next to the store and use it or if its a big one then just walk in and sit down and most likely no one will even notice/give a gently caress. Or just order something for a dollar like you said.

A lot of cafes have wifi in paris and the password is often on the menu somewhere or their phone number or name.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

MentosMan posted:

Can someone help explain to me the reservation system when using the Euro-Rail pass? My group and I bought 5-country passes, but apparently we need to also make separate reservations for each leg of our multi-country journey. Where do we go to make these reservations? Do we need to make them pretty far in advance, or is it something you can do at the station before leaving?

Go to the rail station say as soon as you get to that city and book for the time you are leaving. In spain this cost something like 6 euros to reserve the seat and in France it was 1.50. I say do it as soon as you get there because we were stung trying to get some tickets in France on the day we left and they were all out of the seats they allocate to rail passes so we had to spend 50 euros and buy a seperate ticket. I think they fill up a lot quicker in France.

It really depends on the route but if you are just going with the flow you could probably just rock up to the station and get a ticket as long as you are prepared to either spend money on another ticket or spend another night in that city because they are out of seats.

enki42 posted:

If you plan things well, a year trip can really only involve a couple of Schengen crossings. The schengen zone is pretty big. I only crossed it twice in a year in Europe.

Ive been checked multiple times going Spain > France and Italy > France

They usually have police at the border rail stations. I think there were a few checking in Austria as well.

Fists Up fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 16, 2011

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

An0 posted:

Anybody have any experience travelling to Armenia ?

My grandma was Armenian so my aunt recently travelled there and cycled around the place. I can ask her. Is there anything specific you want to know? Its quite a poor country and it seems to be one of those places that doesnt know whether its asian or european.

Fists Up fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 25, 2011

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

An0 posted:

Well I rarely enjoy touristy tourism, I did quite a bit of hiking/walking when I was younger, I like churches, and I love Armenian duduk music - so I think I would quite like spending a bit of time in Armenia.

So uhm, I'll take any suggestions ! I haven't yet looked into planning a trip.

I don't speak Armenian or Russian.

Sorry about this. Cant get any ideas for this atm because the people I was gonna ask are off the grid!

goldboilermark posted:

On page 24, I asked about your favorite places of natural beauty in Europe for my 5 month trek and got some really great responses from y'all. Slovakia, Croatia, all those areas. I'm now asking about small, hidden towns or gems of areas that are not touristy and that can really offer a quaint feel. Again, this comes from living in a large city in China the past 18 months.

I know this might seem a little broad, but what are some of your favorite places to visit in Spain, France, Germany that are NOT big cities and NOT touristy? I have really no desire to go to Paris for more than 24 hours, but I wouldn't mind stopping somewhere in France for a while if it looked like that town from the Disney version of "Beauty and the Beast".

Maybe it is too much to ask, but if I get just one response of a place that is totally awesome, it will mean a lot.

Only three more weeks and I'm out of here for five months...sooooo close.

Will you have a car? Because if you have a car it will make me recommending places in France/Germany a lot easier. I went to some loving tiny/rural places only because my aunt and uncle drove me and without that I have no idea how the gently caress you would get a bus to these places. Even going around the Loire would seem awkward.

Or do you mean places that aren't so popular but are still easily acessible because I think somewhere like Freiburg in Germany is the perfect example of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Mongolian Squid posted:

Planning to spend Christmas time in England by myself then on Dec 28 meet up a friend in Paris and then head to Northern Spain.

What's Christmas like in England? Am I going to be "forever alone" cause everybody is at home with loved ones? The only definite place I want to check out is Oxford, other than that not much else.

Should I go to Barcelona? I know I definitely want to check out Bilbao.

Everything will be shut on Christmas including public transport. I think its just reduced for Boxing Day.

So if you dont have a car you will be stuck within walking distance.

But on another level its probably going to be the one day where the place will feel quite empty.

Theres probably going to be some christmas lights/carols thing in some place though.

If you dont like the thought of being alone you could always spend it doing charity work/helping homeless people have a meal etc. Quite a rewarding thing to do when you realise some people have that every year.