Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plustwobonus
May 3, 2007
Anti-productive
My girlfriend is spending the semester abroad in Barcelona this fall, and I've managed to find two weeks in my schedule to fly out and visit her. My planned travel dates are September 27 - October 8, which coincidentally includes the last weekend of Oktoberfest. We both want to go to Germany and check it out, at least for a day or two, but I'm a little concerned about the logistics of it. Right now I'm planning to go roundtrip LAX to BCN, but I looked at flight information and it's just as cheap to do LAX > MUC, BCN > LAX.

My questions:

-Is it worth it to go to Munich to Oktoberfest? Are hostels going to be completely booked / way too expensive? What other cities have good festivities without being a clusterfuck?
-How easy is it to fly from Spain to Munich and back for the weekend? I'm seeing flights around $200, which isn't too much, but will we be wasting a day at the airport, or able to get to the city and start drinking relatively quickly?
-How hosed am I going to be trying to meet up with my gf in a German airport, compared to flying together from Barcelona? She'll have a working international phone, but I don't think I'll be getting one until I arrive, if I get one at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plustwobonus
May 3, 2007
Anti-productive

Ziir posted:

Whenever I ask about Oktoberfest here on the forums, I'm always told it is expensive, crowded, a tourist trap full of Australians. I'm also told hostels will be booked and expensive. That said, I think I'm still going to check it out just because why the gently caress not, I've never done anything like it.
My thoughts exactly. My goal is to spend a day or two getting shitfaced wearing lederhosen. So far all I know is that Munich is the most expensive place in Germany to attempt this feat.

quote:

Flights within Europe are really fast and easy. You basically walk into the airport, walk through a metal detector and go find your gate. They aren't as super paranoid or strict as American airports are. There's virtually no hold up. You'll be able to get off your plane and walk right out and find a taxi or find the public transport (I hope you're not checking bags for a weekend trip).
This is what I wanted to hear. As a rule I never check bags - if I'm staying long enough to need a suitcase full of clothes, I'm staying long enough to do laundry.

quote:

I've done it before (met a friend at an airport the first time I flew to Europe) and it's not tough at all. She has a cellphone? Great, there are pay phones. Or you can just tell her to meet you at your exit terminal or vice versa.
I'm still really nervous about this. The potential for trip ruining disaster is just a little too high, especially since I won't be able to meet up with her at the hotel/hostel/her apartment if things go completely south.

plustwobonus
May 3, 2007
Anti-productive

Ziir posted:

I don't really understand this one. If you both fly into Munich separately, who's going to get there first? If she's getting there first then tell her to come meet you at your gate. If you can't find her, go buy a bottle of water at the cafe to get some coins and go to a pay phone and call her. If you don't know how to dial her number ask someone for help. At the end of the day, I'm sure neither of you guys are going to leave the airport before you find each other.
You speak with the voice of reason, sir. I still think that flying together will be easier, but at least I know that it's an option to meet up. My main worry was potential flight delays/cancellations/diversions due to weather in conjunction with hotel/hostel check-ins. If we fly together, then we can deal with any potential problems together. If we fly separately, and one of us is significantly delayed, then the other person is stuck in the airport with no place to sleep. Probably not a problem... but something I'd rather not have to think about.