Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Saladman posted:

None. Traveller's cheques are an outdated nightmare, don't get them.

This is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

If your in Amsterdam (or anywhere else in The Netherlands, can't speak for other countries) on Christmas, you might want to make some dinner reservations in advance. Just to be sure. I used to work in a restaurant and it was always fully booked on christmas.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Pretty good location, fine deal, if he really exists :)

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

NihilismNow posted:

Where could you get better rates than that?

Airport rates are usually worse than rates outside of airports. Only for physically changing your money. ATMs at airports are fine.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Turns out it's not European at all!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_State_Capitol

(I cheated and used google goggles)

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

I don't know much about that route specifically, but taking a week comes down to about 50km daily. Even in the Alps that seems quite low. You might consider a transalp route, they usually take a week and are more challenging.
Personally if you're flexible with your starting point I'd consider starting in Venice and then biking to Rome taking the (challenging, hilly) route over Florence and Sienna. That's gonna be a proper challenge and some beautiful cities and country side.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

When you're going to Berlin try hitchhiking, should be an interesting experience, you meet nice people and it's very easy (if you know how to hitchhike). In Amsterdam, see if you're able to make it to Queensday: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koninginnedag It's an excellent party

What do you mean by more out of the way sites, do you mean other cities (like Berlin :)) or just sights around Amsterdam?

Sai posted:

3. Huis te vraag
Overgrown out-of-use cemetary with small paths that's being cared for by two artists and their cats. Public till 17.00

Take tram 2 from central station and get out at Hoofddorpplein, walk south.

Wow, this is about 5 minutes from my house and I never knew it was there.
If you walk another 15 minutes south from there you can enjoy some gay friendly nature alongside the Nieuwe Meer, it features one of the most unique signs I've ever seen explaining what cruising gays are and that the area is designated to do just that.

Rojkir fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 13, 2011

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

In general cheap drinking inside a bar or cafe isn't really possible in Amsterdam, but I remember Skek on Zeedijk being slightly cheaper (it's a student place) and OT301 on Overtoom was pretty cheap as well I think. It's a former squatters home, they host nice alternative parties in the weekend (you have to pay entrance though). So for cheaper drinking try to find student places or follow smelly hippies.

Otherwise, if the weather is nice, just buy some beers at the supermarket and make some new friends in Vondelpark.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Anything wrong in specific? Thalys.com works, or nshighspeed.nl . Tickets booked so short in advance are expensive though, flying is probably about the same price.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

I'd say skip Marseille, go to Milan instead and fly to Paris from there. Or goto somewhere around Nice if you want to hit the beach for a day.
Ryanair has some hidden fees yeah (for paying with creditcards for instance), read the luggage rules carefully. I've never had any problems with them, but I never had to carry a months worth of bags with me either. If the next cheapest is Easyjet: They're basically the same with trying to squeeze some extra money out of you when they can. Just read the rules they've made up.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

I'm gonna be slightly helpful here since it hasn't been answered yet. My experience with flying is that they can tell you the details of what they're doing with your stuff at the desk where you first check in. Also, on exiting the plane there is usually a transfer desk nearby where again they can tell you if you need to pick up your luggage or if it gets transferred through.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Also Netherlands to Prague is a really long train ride. You might be better off flying.

Or hitchhike if you want to get adventurous, should be one of the easier hitchhiking routes.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Saladman posted:

2. EasyJet flies directly between Barcelona and Berlin but it's like three times the price. Is the RyanAir layover 5-6 hours? That's long enough to get to Oslo center, walk around for a couple hours, and get back, although it might be worth spending the extra money getting a direct flight.

Mind that the train ticket will probably kill a full day of budget. Yeah, the country is that loving expensive. I love the Norwegian natural beauty and countryside, but everything else just makes my wallet cry and I'm from Amsterdam which isn't cheap by any measure, but in Norway everything is twice as expensive (or more).

edit: A great way to meet locals would be to hitchhike between Berlin and Prague.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

tourgon posted:

Me and two friends will be doing a road trip through Europe.

You can make the whole trip much more interesting by not using the highways while in France. You can find lots of quaint little villages and towns where you can enjoy a good lunch or a drink during your trip. Use the D roads and see some great countryside!
It'll save you some toll (péage) money as well and you'll actually see something of the country.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

edit: gotta refresh the page before I post.

edit2 for some actual content: Roadtrip guy, since you're driving and have already been to Paris it might be an idea to skip it altogheter. It's a traffic nightmare and the region isn't very interesting since it's all very Paris focused. For example, this means lots of empty villages because the whole village works (and mostly lives during the week) in Paris.

Rojkir fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 13, 2011

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Most places are going to hate you, but it is legal payment so they have to take it. Another problem might be that they just don't have enough cash to provide you with change, this is likely in just about every smaller store, hostel, restaurant etc, so if you do happen to pass a bank have them change it.

e; beaten. Good point about spotting the forgery, they might worry about that yeah (though no sane forger would use 500 euro bills)

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

hankor posted:

Turns out I'm going to Italy next week, more specifically Trento.

If you're in to any kind of sports activity: Rent a (racing)bicycle. Drive to the nearest mountain that interests you. Explode uphill and scream for your mama. Keep yourself alive downhill. Add notch to your belt.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Saladman posted:

E: To clarify, I've heard the "ban foreign weed purchases" legislation being on the table every six months for the last 5-6 years.

Well thanks, cause that wasn't clear at all :)
The upcoming laws are going to be primarily designed to keep German, Belgian and French kids out who make a softdrugs run to a southern bordertown and while they're at it buy a bunch of harddrugs as well.
The thing about the political process is that things do need to come up in cycles. That doesn't make them less likely to happen. Euthanasia for example had the same process of coming into legislature, so did driving 130 instead of 120 km/h where it's possible. It's just how the process works here (in the Netherlands).
The last time "no weed for French teenagers" was around it stuck and got promoted to the point where government is designing the actual laws/rules right now. We'll have to see and wait what they'll propose, but as Eric mentioned, there is a large chance that any new law won't be upheld in Amsterdam anyway.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Sleepy Robot posted:

Which Eastern European country has some creepy places to go exploring on the side? Soviet-Era prisons, derelict hospitals, etc. (not Chernobyl please) Also interested in any festivals.

Maybe the Wolfschanze in Poland?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf's_Lair

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

aga. posted:

Doing a Czech Rep. - Austria - Slovakia - Hungary loop might be more efficient.

I immediately thought something like this. Spend a couple days in prague and Vienna and then choose if you want to go hiking in Slovenia (amazing countryside, castles, mountains the whole package), or do some more cities and go to budapest.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Windmill Hut posted:

Alternatively get trains and book them now because they're generally much cheaper, and when you include time to to check in, get your baggage etc, they're often just as fast (eg. Paris-> Amsterdam 1h15m flight, but could be like 3 hours with all the airport crap... the train ride is like 3.5 hours).

Also note that trains stop right in the city centre so it also saves you money and time on cabs.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

I always use skyscanner for my flights, works everywhere.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

For these kind of situations a combination of hitchhiking and couchsurfing would be ideal. You can then spend the 500 euro's to do some fun stuff with or for your hosts and keep some emergency money.
If you think you like hitchhiking and are social and up for adventure, or if you've hitchiked before you can also try to hitchhike to your friend in Denmark, take 2-3 days there and back, try to crash at people you meet during hitching (surprisingly easy if you're good with people) that gives you 1-3 days at his place :)

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

In remote villages in the south and east maybe. In every city it's fine.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

aga. posted:

Talking of Berlin, does anyone have any good recommendations? I'm going to do the usual free tour and a bar crawl or two (including the "Alternative" one) but other than that I don't really have any plans.

If you're into techno go to Tresor. Get some women in your team if you want to visit anything hipper (like Berghain or Watergate) and try to find out what's playing there that evening. Another nightclub tip I've heard was Wilde Renate, but we didn't go there because we had found another party in an old swimming pool (stattbad wedding), which was pretty amazing.
I stayed in Kreuzberg last weekend (around schlesisches tor) there is a huge variety of restaurants, bars and what not over there. So that's a great area to find yourself in in the evening. Also the treptower park with it's enormous sovjet statue is nearby to make for a nice walk.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

noblergt posted:

I've never visited the Netherlands but I've heard that 2 days should cover Amsterdam, but I also have heard that The Hague might be a bit better to visit generally unless you really wanna do drugs.

Please don't advice things you've only heard and not experienced yourselves. Amsterdam is way more interesting than The Hague for just about every tourist.

Bruges has the problem/image that it's not really a young people destination, so depending on your age and interests you might wanna skip that and go to Gent for one day instead. Leave early from Paris, arrive in Gent in the morning, check out the city. Have some Belgian beers and a good meal, stay the night and take the train to Amsterdam early in the next morning.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Saladman posted:

Amsterdam has a total of three museums, all of which can be hit in one day (Rijks, Van Gogh, and Anne Frank; all 3 are tiny). If you're there for two days, I don't know what I'd do the second except avoid getting hit by trams, bikes, and cars while checking out Jordaan or the RLD.

Not that I'm recommending The Hague either, but I can't imagine why anyone would travel to Amsterdam for anything other than a flight layover or drug tourism. E: Also they changed their laws Jan 1, 2012, so weed tourism is no longer an option for tourists (locals only). AFAIK smart shops are still available to tourists.

I was just reacting to the statement that The Hague would be a better visit than Amsterdam.
It is not true that weed tourism is no longer allowed, Amsterdam is not taking part in the wietpas (weed pass), for atleast another year (but probably longer).
I'm not saying you should go to Amsterdam if only have 9 days in Europe (although if the alternative is a hurried London, I would recommend Amsterdam), but if you go here's some ideas for your second day:

- Get some people and rent a small boat, check out the awesome canals and houses from the water (or get a canal cruise). Get drunk while doing this.
- Buy a big joint and go to the Vondelpark and take in the relaxing vibes, optional drunkenness and barbeque
- The red light district
- Walk through the small alleys of the Jordaan
- Take a walk along the beautiful houses at the canals, make regular stops to eat or drink
- Take a biking trip to a village outside the city and enjoy the flattness of the countryside
- Go to the hermitage museum (east of the center), or the stedelijk museum (museum square)
- Go to Artis zoo
- If it's weekend: Go clubbing or visit a concert (melkweg, paradiso)
- Oude kerk, Krijtberg or vondelkerk if you're into churches.

That should get you through the day.

e; The first two options are +15C degrees only

Rojkir fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 19, 2012

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

I love Venice as well. I guess the trick to every major tourist destination is to try and get somewhat of the beaten path. Go wandering for a few hours in a random direction, see something you like? Check it out etc.

I also LOVE Berlin, so I definetly think it's worth a visit. However the (post) WWII things are (in my humble opinion) the least interesting about it. By all means go see the wall, checkpoint charlie and the impressive Russian statue in Treptower park, but after just go to Kreuzberg and enjoy the nightlife that one of Europes hippest cities has to offer (advice best applied on thursday, friday or saturday).

Rojkir fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 30, 2012

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

You might also want to consider Avignon, lovely old center, great wine region. It's probably a bit small for your taste though. It offers daytrips to the coast and the Mont Ventoux region.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

kissekatt posted:

I would cut out one or two cities from your itinerary. You are going to lose a lot of time and energy unpacking/repacking, travelling and getting installed in your new abode every other day.

Totally agree. I might skip out the first day of Milan and go for a hardcore first travel day that ends early in the evening in Venice. You can then move the whole schedule a day forward so you can stay in Rome/city x for a day longer.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

In advance. International train tickets tend to get more expensive as the train fils up.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

NihilismNow posted:

Oh you know, just the entire Randstad.
Look at that route on a map. Millions upon millions of people live in that area. The Hague, Leiden, Delft would be pretty good places to stop. But there is also "groene hart" area that isn't allowed to be built up and has some of the old style polders and artificial lakes due to peat digging in the past. It really depends on what kind of things you like and how much of a detour you can make. My guess is the shortest route is about 80 kilometers (50 miles) with a few detours it could easily add up to 120 kilometers.

Yeah seconding this. It so much depends on what you like or don't like in a bike ride. If you want you'll visit many towns, if you follow the st jacobsroute (for example) you'll skip some of them (it's a pelgrimsroute between Haarlem and Santiago). For most tourists going around Rotterdam to visit the mills at Kinderdijk(http://www.kinderdijk.nl/) might be a big option, but it's also a long way round.

I actually recommend picking up the st jacobsroute from where ever you can and then take a right turn into rotterdam when at kinderdijk, but that totally depends on what bikes you're on and if you like cycling cause it's a serious detour.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

jet sanchEz posted:

Also, a lot will depend on the weather, which I don't expect to be anything but wet----that makes sense since we are traveling in early April, right?

The weather is entirely unpredictable, could be pooring rain or a sunny 20C.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

There are other means than time to not make it superficial. Like hitchhiking for example, or try and visit some nice cultural or music festivals, or just wing it more and see where you end up (instead of crossing of a list of tourist traps).
Two months is definitely enough anyway I'd say.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Paris is a drivers nightmare and you shouldn't expect to see much countryside if you stay on the highways. But it still seems like a nice plan!

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

That's gonna be a problem, because there is no internet here in Europe.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Those are already far more valid questions than your initial one (how would you react if I'd ask you if there's easy web acces in the states?). You've displayed a fair amount of lazyness so far in this topic and this just got on the wrong side of me.

Yes, of course there is a huge amount of web access. Hotels, coffee bars, hostels, bars, open routers, internet cafe's, just like home really. Most touristic areas are so popular because they cater to tourist needs. You'll be fine. Though it can't hurt to read tripadvisor, wikitravel or a guidebook in advance so you can write down some useful stuff about places you want to stay.

e; ^^ http://www.sleepinginairports.net/europe/rome.htm might be helpful

Rojkir fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 18, 2012

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

jet sanchEz posted:

My girlfriend and I are going to be in Amsterdam over the Easter weekend, does the city get really quiet during this religious holiday?

No. It's possible that some shops that are normally open are closed but it won't be a lot, especially not in the center.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Amsterdam schiphol airport usually sends out warnings in juli and august (especially fridays and saturdays) for people to show up at the airport early because of the high amount of travellers. If you're unlucky it will be busy and three hours won't be enough (however most congestion is at customs, which you won't have to go through I guess). Any normal weekend I'd say you'll make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Does your travel insurance or bank offer any emergency cash abroad? Mine does, and losing my ATM card would count as an emergency. Maybe give them a call/email?