Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenixx
Dec 1, 2007

by T. Mascis

smackfu posted:

I've done most of Europe but not the Germanic countries, and figure I should address that shortcoming.

Anyone have ideas for a 10-day trip? I was thinking of Oktoberfest but it sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth (especially at this point) and that going to Munich afterwards would be preferable.

Maybe Munich / Vienna / Salzburg by train in early October? Those are fairly close, so is it worth adding in someplace farther like Berlin or Prague?

Salzburg and the Saltzkammergut are pretty wild. Worth two days each, with a variety of things to do. In the city, Biergartens are great in Austria and different than what you'd find in Bavaria.

Shoot, if you're in Europe in October, you have to hit the festival. If you don't want to spend more than a day in Munich-I don't think you'd need to anyway-you should head south to Füssen and 'Mad' King Ludwig's best castle, Neuschwanstein Castle. This region is worth at least a day if not two. Just to the south is Reutte in Austria and is famous with locals for the well-preserved atmosphere of a small town but still touristy. http://www.neuschwanstein.de/

In Vienna you can kill a day or two, while not personally my town it was nice. One day could be spent on monuments and the sight-seeing stuff that any TI (tourist information) or guide-book can and will recommend. The next, on the best konzerts in Europe. Vienna, is and has been the music capital of Europe for some time, even if you're not an art-fag you could appreciate the hell out of any of the konzerts.

With that itinerary, by my count you're still looking at 4 days or so. If you haven't been to Switzerland-and especially after you've been to Füssen or the Saltzkammergut you won't resist- you simply have to go. Go to Interlaken or Mürren and plan trips to Jungfraujoch (top of Europe) or hiking adventures in the dozens of well-treaded paths. Besides necessities like food and sleep, I didn't spend a dime in Switzerland because its really expensive.

Extra stuff that seems out of the way, or not really, is a daytrip to Rothenburg od der Tauber. this interesting little town is one of the most well-preserved medieval villages in Europe that i've or anyone has seen. Type the name into google or look on any guide-book's website for more information.

Along the same path could be Venice (a must see, especially in the off-season if you haven't), or Köln (anywhere along the Rhine valley) and see the best parts of the Rhine.

Berlin and Prague are like 5 hours from Munich. On such a small itinerary, I don't know if I'd do that to myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenixx
Dec 1, 2007

by T. Mascis

Omits-Bagels posted:

What are some good websites geared to backpackers/college students traveling abroad?

For what?

Xenixx
Dec 1, 2007

by T. Mascis

MJP posted:

This is going to sound like the worst possible question, but what parts of Europe would be least likely to have lots of garlic in their food or have very heavy fare?

My wife has an allergy to garlic; she can't digest it properly. If it's a small amount of garlic in the entire recipe, she has enzyme pills that help a little (e.g. turning her from an immobile, fetal ball of horrible pain into a stomachache) but too much and the pills do nothing, or she'll simply vomit and feel worse.

She's not too big on heavy food, too - sauerbraten, wurst and potatoes, etc. might not be too great for her.

I'm guessing the UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia would be good bets while most of the Mediterranean countries are completely right out - is there anything I've overlooked?

She loves to try new foods and such, but she's just not a mass-quantity eater. The garlic thing has really been tough for us; it's definitely genetic and her mom grew out of it in her 40s, but that's a long way away. When we went to New Orleans, every other day she was laid up in bed sick, even with the enzyme pills.

We'd be looking to go in June/July if we get the chance, don't know if that affects much.

(Accordingly, if anyone has any leads onto better enzyme pills, we're all ears!)

I love myself some garlic and ya know, I thought it was pretty rare in most of my dishes. Or at the very least, I couldn't taste it. I wonder if its all that common.

Xenixx
Dec 1, 2007

by T. Mascis

Ziir posted:

Ah, alright, I didn't know the Alps in Germany were pretty much just hills. I'll look into that website too when I have some time. I've also mentioned this idea to a few people and they seemed interested but what more information, so I'm doing my research right now. Ideally I'd love to go with a small group of maybe four people including me, but realistically I think I may end up doing it alone.

Do you think you could do the same in the 'German' Alps near Füssen or cross the border hiking into Austria outside of Reutte? Would that be closer and likely the same experience?