Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

Laopooh posted:

I'm arriving in Barcelona on Thursday as stop one on a year long backpacking trip and wanted to get some tips. I've booked my first night at a hostel for 10 euros but it looks like most cheap places are fully booked. My budget is about $30 a day so I was hoping to find more cheap places, will I be SOL?

What kind of transportation is cheapest in Spain? I don't mind night buses or uncomfortable rides at all. I figure if I can't find a place to stay cheap in Barcelona for the next night that I'll have to head towards Pamplona and hope to find a cheap place there.

Any recommendations for having fun and seeing the sights in Spain on a tiny budget? Where to eat, what to see, where to stay etc. I was planning on going along the northern coast towards Portugal and then down to Morocco to start. Basically going with no plan or idea of what to do or how to live but I figure I should at least nail down the first week.

Saw this a day late

but...

General Barca tips (when i get time im going to write a huge post about the city)

Check out all the Gaudi stuff, if your really broke just look at it from the outside
If you have time go to Tibidabo - train from placa Catalunya, skip the tram and walk for 20 min when you are off the train, but do take the funicular
The beach is amazing, but it is very full. When you get there walk towards the big gold fish (port Olympic) it is quieter down there - or go even further and walk for 5 min further, behold a nearly empty beach
Hostel Recommendations (although these will all be about 25€ a night right now):

Kabul (big but fun)
Barcelona Sound / Barcelona Mar (nice atmosphere, good locations)
HelloBCN (big, cheap beer)
Sant Jordi Diagnol / the whole group - great places, expensive

Avoid Sun & Moon (lock out between 3 and 5, awful staff, no atmosphere, although great location)

If you need a place to stay thats cheap then go on the ramblas one evening and ask someone who is flyering for a pub crawwl(you will see them, there is hundreds) if they know anywhere to stay

I could list good bars but there is a lot, Ryans is cheapest, Travel bar has good staff, ask your hostel.

clubs:

Opium is great and the second biggest, amazing beach terrace - however it will cost you 15-20 euro to get in most night (ask your hostel, they will know someone who can get you in for free)
Apollo - The best place on Mondays and Tuesdays - the rest of the time it sucks
Razmatazz - the best and biggest, 5 floors, live bands, DJ's - only open on Fridays and Saturdays (i think) - will cost you 15€
Catwalk - ok club, not as good as a lot of people say. - 15€
City hall - good outside area, ok club if you like house music - normally get free entry
Moog - to small, i don't like it. Quite a few people do - free entry normally
Jamboree - Good if you like r&b - free until 1
Boulevard - Tourist club on Las Ramblas, you will only like it if it is the first club in the city you have been to - free until 1

there is more but they are the main ones.

Never go to a club before 1am (they will be empty)
Never buy drinks in a club (in Catwalk a vodka and coke is 12€)

The metro system is amazing and you can get anywhere within about 15 min travel

They are the basics, any specific questions and i can answer them

edit:

4 rules of Barcelona:
Never carry anything you don't want to lose (you will get robbed)
Never sleep on the beach at night
If someone who looks a bit shady starts talking to you then back off and keep distance between you
Don't get blind drunk and walk about on your own

Skam fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

duckmaster posted:

then you should probably talk her out of going to Barcelona in the first place. If she does you are both going to die.

No one dies in Barcelona.. you will just be robbed blind in your first night ;)

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

Shampy posted:

Any of you fine folks in Barcelona? I just got here yesterday to start my CELTA course on Tuesday. I highly doubt it but I just wanted to reach out and see if there was anyone else around here to maybe hang out with. My sister whom I'm staying with is working and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now with the city.

It's a strange feeling since I don't know when I'll be back in Miami.

Im here, have been for over a year now (my spanish still sucks)

send me an email to barcelonapartytour@gmail.com and we can go get a drink somewhere

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
I agree with that whole Rome post except for the metro part, the city is tiny and the only time you really need the metro is going to the Vatican and maybe Trastevere. Walk everywhere else, start halfway down via cavour (or near Termini). Do the trevi fountain, Spanish steps, Pantheon, Colosseum

id say you really need 3 days, but you can do it in 2 at a push

edit: no metro to Trastevere, i forgot and can't remember if metro tickets work on busses

Skam fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 28, 2010

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

several wet dogs posted:

Okay, so I'm pretty confident the age thing is a non-issue, but now I have another query. What's the deal with the hostel prices I'm seeing online? They are more than I was expecting, from €30 per person per night for a shared dorm, to as much as €70 for a private one (which is what we'd prefer). In regards to the private dorms, I've seen many regular hotels with rooms for the same amount or less!

I ask because I once read you shouldn't book hostels in advance, but that seems like asking for trouble to me!

I should mention these places are all in Rome.

EDIT: After checking out that Savvy Backpacker site it seems this is probably normal and I just need to suck it up! I gotta stop clogging up this thread.

they should be a lot less then that, for example this is the barcelona listing on hostelworld for next weekend

http://www.hostelworld.com/search?search_keywords=Barcelona%2C+Spain&country=Spain&city=Barcelona

as long as you dont mind staying in a larger dorm you should not be paying more then 12€, i have seen them as cheap as 7€ a night in the week

if you are after a private room it often works out cheaper to stay in a cheap hostal or pensione rather then a hostel, mainly because a hostel will probably have more facilitys (internet, washing, common area etc..)

Skam fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 14, 2010

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

DreddyMatt posted:

Gonna be in Barcelona for just over 2 weeks at the end of March. Aside from the Ramlas and Gaudi things, what should I try and check out?

Also, I'm going to be staying mostly in hostels, does anyone have any recommendations? Considering Graffiti hostel because it's cheap.

I like cycling, but looking at the price of bike hire in the city, I think I'm going to buy a cheap second hand bike from https://www.loquo.com (Barcelona's equivilent of gumtree/craigslist) as it'd work out cheaper than 2 weeks of bike hire. Then maybe try and sell it on to someone at the hostel to try and recoup some of my money back. Good idea, or no?

Graffiti hostel changed owners in the last few months and i have been told it is not cleaned very well anymore and has questionable security, there recent reviews are not very good, however it is cheap so if thats your main priority then yeah its ok. Id be tempted to go for one in the center. I recommend either Barcelona Mar or Sound. Although they might be a bit expensive.

The bike idea is good. but remember you are also going to have to buy a lock which can often set you back as much as the bike (my bike was 35€, my locks came to 30€)

The cheapest bike rental place is 5€ a day, just off the ramblas by Liceu metro stop. (if i can remember its name ill edit it in later)

The main tourist attractions are of course the Gaudi items, Las Ramblas and the beach. parc ciutadella is nice and i recommend Tibidabo (old amusement park on the top of a mountain with a big church and views over the whole city)

Now can someone tell me a little about Amsterdam? im moving there in a couple of weeks, i already have a place to stay sorted and a few connections with jobs, but can anyone tell me anymore obscure things that would be good to know?

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
Anyone know anywhere i can stay in Amsterdam that isn't going to cost 40€ a night at the weekend?

hostel prices just from 13€ a night mon-thurs to 40-50€ a night fri-sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

jeoh-kun posted:

Stayokay is generally pretty cheap, especially if you're booking for a longer time. If you're willing to share a room with drunken British students, of course.

they want 36€ a night for this weekend :(