Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Amsterdam is better to see on a short schedule than Dublin. Ireland itself is interesting, but Dublin is dull, while Amsterdam is a pretty awesome city (and I'm not even big into the drug tourism thing either).

Besides, you'd have to fly to get from Dublin to London, while with the second schedule you can cross the channel by train, bus, or ferry and then take trains while on the continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Never been to Bruges, but it is by all accounts an amazing fairy tale city and you could definitely work it into the schedule even if you also wanted to see Brussels, since you'd need about 3 days total for both.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

duralict posted:

I'm going to Sofia tomorrow and then have no idea what to do next. What's within about a 5 hour train ride that's worth seeing? I'm thinking of going back to Istanbul (where I am now) and then spending a bunch of time in Anatolia, but I hear good things about Romania. I have all the time I want but not a lot of money, and I can't go back to the Schengen Zone for three months.

Go to Veliko Turnovo. You'll need to take a bus, but it's worth it. From there, go to Ruse then take a train up to Bucharest, and then go see some of the cities like Brasov and the castles (Peles is better than Bran and at a train stop between Bucharest and Brasov).

You can also go to the Black Sea coast. Varna is really nice for a big city (much better than Sofia), and Nessebar and Sozopol are pretty neat little resort towns with some old Revival period architecture.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

goldboilermark posted:

Is there a general consensus on WizzAir?

Much better than RyanAir

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

duralict posted:

Hey speaking of Fallout look what I found in Bulgaria

I never went there but I've seen pictures of rallies in front of this thing. It's in the middle of nowhere near Kazanluk, right? Of course there's Ataka (neo-fascist) graffiti everywhere.

The panorama commemorating the siege of Pleven is really loving bizarre like that too. You walk up stairs, through an archway that's the arms of Mother Bulgaria, and into a park with a ton of dilapidated monuments to Russian soldiers. Then up to the lovely panorama building/museum, which looks like a spaceship too.

goldboilermark posted:

1) I did not receive a stamp on my passport when I entered BiH from Croatia, though I did receive an outgoing Croatian stamp. Will this be a problem when I try to leave the country? The Korean girl I was traveling with did not receive a stamp either. I guess that is a common thing, after looking into on the internet, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with that.

They never stamp your passport at the border crossing near Neum for whatever reason (there's probably a border agreement between Bosnia and Croatia a la US-Canada). You're fine. Go to Sarajevo.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 29, 2011

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

duralict posted:

Where's the Pleven monument? I'm hella into crumbling soviet monuments apparently

In Pleven, which is about two and a half hours northeast of Sofia. The panorama was built by the Soviet Union in 1977 as a gift to the Bulgarian people, but the building itself if not the park you walk through to get there is actually well-maintained and the panorama part is pretty cool. It's a giant 360 watercolor of what it would have looked like if you were standing in that spot on the day of the Battle of Pleven in 1877.

Pleven's an interesting city because it has a ton of monuments to the siege and stuff, but there's not a whole lot else to see there. Lovech is less than an hour away, but has a really cool covered bridge, castle, and old town.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 29, 2011

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

IANAL, but it's not of cultural significance or value so its not antique smuggling or anything like that. You can buy spent shell and bullet casings and other stuff on the streets in Sarajevo that people have made into pens and vases. It's a big souvenir industry. There were supposedly enough spent casings in Bosnia after the war that if you stacked them, they would have reached to the moon. A friend of mine purchased an old JNA bayonet at a flea market in the city I worked in and had no problems with that (just had to check it because it was a weapon).

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Aliquid posted:

Two months in Spain could be pricey. You would have all sorts of wacky adventures with two months in the Balkans.

Where the lands of beer and vodka meet...

If you're not drinking rakija in the Balkans you're doing it wrong.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I never had trouble with tap water in Croatia or Bulgaria. I know in Bosnia I was told to buy bottles, though I probably drank the tap water a few times and didn't get sick. I know in Bulgaria the tap water has a lot of minerals in it so it can lead to kidney stones, but that's not really an issue if you're only there for a short time. I think the tap water where I live now in DC is a lot worse than the tap water in Eastern Europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

^ yeah this ^

I'm not a drug person and thought Amsterdam was a pretty awesome city, if just for the architecture and the city layout. On the other hand, I had been living beyond the Iron Curtain for about 5 months when I went there so just about anything Western probably would have been cool.