Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Wherever you go check out any free bike/walking tours. The guides are usually great, they are time efficient and show you places to explore further later on and you can ask the guides anything during or afterwards.

I especially recommend the free bike tour in Munich, great fun, not too taxing (I'm bloody useless on a bike) and you go for a nice mass (2 pints!) of beer in the English garden. If you are there for a night I say get some booze from the supermarket and go and drink on the little beaches at the side of the river. The locals bring out massive stereo systems on little carts which combined with the light show on the river is a really nice atmosphere. Try not to puke on the ubahn like my mate did though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

If you're going to Rome I recommend going for a drink at the Trevi fountain, there's a little minimarket right next to it that'll open the bottles for you. As always I'll pimp the free tour as well, I went with romefreetour which was great but I'm sure there are other options.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Geneva is boring as poo poo, there is a big fountain and a ton of prostitutes (what is the deal with the prostitutes anyway? They were so obvious and everywhere). On the upside I found lime Desperados, so maybe it all evens out.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Cometa Rossa posted:

I figure this wouldn't need its own thread.

A couple buddies and I are thinking of going to Central/Eastern Europe this spring (we're travel-retards so we're planning ahead) and have just got into discussing a route. We're thinking of going from Berlin to Sarajevo travelling, sleeping and eating as cheaply as we possibly can. Along this route it'd be great to see Prague (maybe daytrips to Karlovy Vary or other interesting Czech spots), maybe some of Bavaria, Budapest and Mostar in Bosnia. If we could swing it, maybe we'd go to Plitvice in Croatia and see the Dalmation Coast.

We'll have plenty of money and time isn't an issue - is this a decent route? Recommendations or alterations? How much time would we need to appreciate each of these places?

In Czech Rep, consider Czesky Krumlov. We only drove through but eveyone who went said it was amazing, especially the pub crawl by river raft thing (although the fact they wee all drunken aussies may have played into that).

For Bosnia on the route from sarajevo - mostar go river rafting on the neretva river, it's amazing, cheap and we got fed better than anywhere. In mostar go to the cave club (as in a club inside a cave) right next to the stari most bridge.

I would definitely recommend Dubrovnik, everyone we met agreed it was better than split, there are also cheap flights out of there.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

pigdog posted:

Patarei prison/fortress in Tallinn, Estonia is about as Silent Hill as it gets. Particularly creepy considering it housed inmates just a decade ago.

Just got back from Tallinn and I'm not sure if it was this place but they were offering to lock you up for a few hours in a prison. I should have tried it but was too busy eating elk soup.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

If you stay in hostels you shouldn't have a problem traveling alone, tons of people do it and you'll buddy up pretty quick. We mostly did cities so can't really help you on the hiking stuff but for a scenic spot I'd recommend Trakai near Vilnius in Lithuania, it's a small town on a group of islands in the middle of a lake with a castle and is absolutely gorgeous. We and most people we met were doing an up/down A-B route of Poland - Estonia which was great but if you are flying out of Krakow it's a bit of a dead end. Doing a Czech Rep. - Austria - Slovakia - Hungary loop might be more efficient.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

I put up with the crap from Ryanair (and tbh I've never experienced that much of it) as it's worth it for the cheap fare. I never would have been all the places I have been without Ryanair I'm sure, I'm just about to go to Berlin for £30 return.

Talking of Berlin, does anyone have any good recommendations? I'm going to do the usual free tour and a bar crawl or two (including the "Alternative" one) but other than that I don't really have any plans.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

To be honest I'd say take the guided tour. You skip the queue and more importantly you'll actually know what the hell you're looking at. You'll probably be stuck behind a tour group anyway so may as well be told the interesting history behind stuff instead of just looking at pretty things.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

I'd say Barcelona is pretty safe, I walked around alone and half drunk giving myself a tour from about 3-5am and had no problems. I've walked around Rome with my mate as well late at night and had no problems. This is completely anecdotal of course.

Anyone got any Polish experience, I've done Krakow & Warsaw before but I'm going a bit more in depth this time. Basically I'm thinking of doing a sweep down from Gdansk (I'm hoping there's some sunlight left in early September) to Bratislava as I feel like it:
Copenhagen/Malmo (Briefly, money is tight)- Gdansk - Poznan - Wroclaw - Katowice - Krakow (maybe) - Brno (Czech Rep) - Bratislava (Been there before but cheap flight and I'm hoping to do the bunker club under the castle)

I'm also hoping to do couchsurfing for the first time, especially in places where hostels are tight or non-exhistant like Malmo or Bydogszcz.

aga. fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 11, 2013

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

To be honest I actually forgot to mention that my mate got pick pocketed the second we got to Barcelona but I wouldn't even really consider pickpockets as a "safety" thing. You can take precautions against pickpockets whereas if someone wants to mug you or just beat you up there's not much you can do about it. Physical safety is was more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

I'm going to be living/working/drinking a lot in Seville for a couple of months October-November. Anyone have any tips or ex pat groups or whatever?

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Prague/Budapest

Going from Prague to Budapest you have very convenient stopoffs in Brno/Vienna/Bratislava which are all worth doing for a day of two if you have the time. I'd recommend coaches in Central/Eastern Europe, they're really nice with leather seats, free drinks etc. and very cheap (Prague - Budapest €16). Student Agency are the main company in that area.

If you're not opposed to hostels Budapest has some of the best in the world (assuming you're still up for some partying), so they're worth considering.

aga. fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 3, 2015