Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
In Berlin, you can also check out the parliament building. You need to book your visit in advance online: http://www.bundestag.de/htdocs_e/visits/kuppel/kupp/245686 The views from the dome are pretty good, and the audio guide is quite good, and points out most of the buildings you can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Hi, I'm going to Poland and then Germany and want to pick up a SIM. I just found out that Polish sim cards don't do the EU roaming, so I wouldn't be able to keep using it into Germany. Is there a sim I can order online ahead of time that isn't a ripoff?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Lol, I just got a reply from Flixbus saying they would fix the double charge I had on my ticket. I did a chargeback through my credit card over a month ago.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, I was just posting about flixbus' lol-worthy online customer service. The app had double charged me, and I had already done a chargeback with my credit card. They just refunded me, about 2 months after I initially contacted them.

I took a bus from Poland to Germany. It was a normal coach bus, and the bathroom was open. It was about a 5 hour ride, but we didn't make any stops where you could exit. Just a passport control stop going into Germany, and we made multiple stops in Berlin at different stations. I got off at ZOB and it was the last stop. One hold luggage was included in my ticket. The bus had wifi, but had a quota. There were some movies on the wifi, so I got to watch The Naked Gun 2 1/2. The app was decent for tracking, although the station had good signage and updates too.

So pretty OK, even before I ended up with the free ticket.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Just heard that Poland is suspending all international flights and trains, and closing stores, bars, restaurants.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

webmeister posted:

On the topic of "download this app for <whatever tourist thing>", a special place in hell is reserved for the people who do this but don't make the app available on international app stores. We had this issue in places like Mexico and Brazil, where the bus company insists you download their app to buy and manage your tickets. But the app is only available on the Mexican/Brazilian app stores (or at least, not available on the Australian app store).

Then after finally finding the app you find out it requires a local phone number to register. Found that with a few apps in Poland.

I also found that one of my cards would decline when tapping my phone, but tapping the physical card was fine.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The secret police jail/museum is also good. IIRC, our guide was detained there.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It also should launch with EES. They will not stamp your passport, but will take a photo and fingerprints. Maybe you get to use automated entry lanes? It's not clear.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Get a credit card/ATM card without international fees.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I feel like 3 hours is a healthy layover to clear passport control. I usually go for 2-3 hours in my plans but don't know if cdg is especially bad. You will have to clear exit controls in cdg on your way out. It should be faster than your way in but I had a 90 minute wait in Frankfurt recently.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I've gotten into the US National Park Passport stamps. I know Japan has something similar in train stations and other tourist attractions. Is there anything similar in Europe? It's been hard to google, I mostly get postage stamps and questions about real passports. I'm going to Paris in May, and usually go to Poland at least once a year. Any tips on where to find some stamps, or even what to google to get better results?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Saladman posted:

Yeah Lichtenstein Tourist Office and San Marino Tourist Office are the only ones I can ever remember seeing in Europe that are purely tourist stamps, i.e. no way to even get one officially.

There's also some idea that fake passport stamps (e.g. Machu Picchu or whatever) can be seen badly by immigration officials, although I don't know if that's just an old wives' tale as no one ever cared about my Liechtenstein Tourist Office stamp, and I doubt anyone knows what a Liechtenstein is, and it says "Tourist Office" on it, and it was the first stamp on the first page of my last two passports.

I have a notebook to use for this. I'm not going to waste space in my real passport.