Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

skooma512 posted:

So, I've decided to go to Paris from London from Scotland and environs with the train to Paris leaving on a Sunday in October.

The train from Edinburgh takes at least 4 to 5 hours and will be tricky to coordinate. Staying in London a night just for the train is undesirable as I'll have already done so for 4 nights already at that point and will have to do so again to catch the plane out. I could catch the latest train out of Edinburgh

So what if I drive I say,? The drive from Edinburgh to London is 8 hours. I am both tempted and terrified of this prospect, this allows me to see vast swaths of the country if only at night from the motorway, but my only qualification for left hand drive is Euro Truck Simulator 2 (though I'll have been driving for 5 days at that point provided I'm not in jail or dead in a ditch). Easyjet seems like the most logical solution, it's cheap, doesn't require an intermediate transport, but I feel like I would be missing out on all the bits between wherever I am Saturday to Paris.

Other than not being in this situation (I have to be in Liverpool anyway and would like to visit Scotland) entirely, which would you guys go with?

Speaking of Scotland, this is roughly what I'm planning.

• Monday - Start in Liverpool, end in Lake District with perhaps a stopover in Manchester if the train takes me there anyway
  • Tuesday - Lake District for hiking
  • Wednesday-Move on to Glasgow
  • Thursday-Glasgow for the day and stay at this B&B I heard of in Glencoe
  • Friday- Glencoe
  • Saturday-Leave Glencoe for Edinburgh and execute whatever strategy I'm going to pull to get to Paris

I understand this is a fairly aggressive schedule, perhaps too much so. I like moving around and won't have anyone with me, so filling my time with running around is my way of heading off boredom.

Does Glasgow/Edinburgh have enough to see that I would be perfectly fine giving Glencoe and surroundings a miss? Should I consider something closer to Liverpool for Monday and Tuesday instead?

I really liked Edinburgh. As for transport: have you considered flying? It was the cheaper option when I had to get to Edinburgh from the Midlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Hello friends,

I am returning to Europe in late August as I am attending the World Scrabble Championship (:hellyeah:) in Lille, France.

My arrangements are to fly into AMS and arrive late the morning of Friday, 8/26, take the train to Antwerp (bought this ticket online, as I believe if it crosses the border you have to purchase in advance), and then to Ghent where I will be staying Friday until early Tuesday. I'm then going to Lille, doing the event, and taking the high speed (also purchased) to CDG and flying out on Monday 9/5.

Looking for any suggestions. Here are my free times:

Any of the days in Belgium. I for sure will take one train trip to Ostend, stopping in Bruges. I assume I can stop off and get on a later train on the same return ticket to continue my journey?

One day trip to Brussels, because well, it's the capital.

Is Antwerp worth seeing? I might just walk around for a few hours on my way to Ghent though.

Any other city suggestions welcome.

Also I will have at least one day in Lille before going home, and looking to take a train trip as well to a nearby city. I'm right next to Roubaix, but there are cities of historical interest within a few hours, like Dunkirk. So if there's anything in far north France you can suggest, let me know.

I'm pretty sure you can't just get of the train at your leisure and continue on later during the day.
Antwerp is worth it if you have too much time I guess. But I would rank other places (Ghent, Brussels, Bruges) higher.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

actionjackson posted:

So if I take the train to Ostend through Bruges, I can't, for example get off at Bruges on the way back and then get back on to finish my journey later that day?

Apparently I was wrong and you can, but you have to pay extra, you can choose an extra station to step off at when you book your ticket.

Say you go from Oostende to Brussels, it will be €17.
If you decide to get off at bruges for the day, you have to make this clear when you buy the ticket (either at the counter or online) and the price will be €18.40

If you are going to be taking trains a lot you could get a Rail Pass (if you're older than 26) or a Go Pass (younger than 26). With the pass you will have 10 rides. Rail pass costs €76, go pass is €51.

Oh, and don't expect fancy modern stuff like WiFi on the train.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

actionjackson posted:

It is really loving hot in Belgium today christ

You managed to visit during the first national heat wave (3 days in a row with temperatures above 30) in the 21st century, congratulations!

I'm leaving for iceland tomorrow.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Any favorite cafes/lunch/dinner spots people like in Copenhagen/Stockholm?

I had a nice time at the Log Lady Café in Copenhagen, but I'm a huge Twin Peaks mark.