Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So I am flying to Vienna in 3 hours, anyone have any suggestions of places to see and eat at? How about nightlife?

Additionally, with another London question. I have a 6 hour layover in Heathrow. Is that enough time to go downtown for an hour and look around and then get back? Its on a Tuesday.

Visit one of the traditional Cafes and have some Apfelstrudel.

You'll probably take a walk through Maria-Hilferstraße (U-station zieglergasse or neubaubasse) for shopping, at the lower end, there's the Museumsquartier, which has a few different museums and some hip cafes and restaurants. Also, nice architecture in that area.

Naschmarkt (U-station Kettenbrückengasse) is a great foodmarket. There are also little restaurants, most of which are very good.

Schloss Schönbrunn (Little Versailles)... i didn't enjoy the building very much, but apparently it's the most visited sight in Vienna. But the Park behind it is great for a walk.

My fav museum by a long shot is the aquarium "Haus des Meeres" (U-station Neubaugasse). Great way to spend an afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

DownByTheWooter posted:

Anyone have any input on any of these places as a good place to visit for the weekend, relax, etc? I think Munich is probably the only one that actually has a Christmas Market.

Vienna has multiple christmas markets. (which is probably true for munich as well)

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

MJP posted:

This is going to sound like the worst possible question, but what parts of Europe would be least likely to have lots of garlic in their food or have very heavy fare?

My wife has an allergy to garlic; she can't digest it properly. If it's a small amount of garlic in the entire recipe, she has enzyme pills that help a little (e.g. turning her from an immobile, fetal ball of horrible pain into a stomachache) but too much and the pills do nothing, or she'll simply vomit and feel worse.

She's not too big on heavy food, too - sauerbraten, wurst and potatoes, etc. might not be too great for her.

I'm guessing the UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia would be good bets while most of the Mediterranean countries are completely right out - is there anything I've overlooked?

She loves to try new foods and such, but she's just not a mass-quantity eater. The garlic thing has really been tough for us; it's definitely genetic and her mom grew out of it in her 40s, but that's a long way away. When we went to New Orleans, every other day she was laid up in bed sick, even with the enzyme pills.

We'd be looking to go in June/July if we get the chance, don't know if that affects much.

(Accordingly, if anyone has any leads onto better enzyme pills, we're all ears!)

Maybe it would help to learn how to say "no garlic in the food, please" in the native language. UK and Ireland don't really sound like light food to me.

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

The Belgian posted:

I'm going to London ....

I've enjoyed the Tate Modern and the Museum of science a lot when i've been there.

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

WildeyeWillie posted:

Im heading to Graz, Austria on a work trip for 3 weeks starting October 9th and will have evenings and weekends to myself. Any must see attractions around the Graz/Vienna area? Thanks.

I don't know too many attractions, but the Schlossberg is a great place to hang out when the weather is nice. Try to avoid using the elevator and walk up/down the stairs.
The old city center is very lovely. It's the nicest town in austria, enjoy!

For food, you should go to the Thomawirt, the food is spectacular, especially at the moderate prices they have. Also, try pumpkin-seed oil whenever you can.

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009
I was in Budapest after New Year, and @ the gellert bath, and I was really disappointed.

The water smells bad and everything is kind of run down.

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'm going to be on study abroad in Salzburg next semester; is there anything I should know for the stay there?

Salzburg is one of the most expensive (but also very beautiful) cities in austria.

Make sure to take trips to Graz and Vienna. Go hiking a lot in the area of the Salzkammergut.

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

Pookah posted:

I'm going to be in Budapest for the next week - can anyone recommend any non-fancy traditional hungarian food providing restaurants? I've been googling but I don't think most of the good places have much of an internet presence. I love hungarian food but it,s hard to dig the good places out from among the tourist traps.

Recommendations for interesting day trips also gratefully received. We're planning to hit the city centre tomorrow and end up in the central market hall because it is awesome - so much good paprika! Seriously, I travelled light with the plan of stocking up on good paprika and other hard to get things, like tarhonya.

My gf and I went to this place:
http://www.aranyhordovendeglo.hu/

it's in the most touristy area you could imagine, but the food was very delicious and the price was very good (might have been the good exchange rate at the time, i'm not sure).

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

IHatePugs posted:

I'm in Vienna for one whole day. I hate this city, it's incredibly boring. Can anyone recommend something to do that will make me change my mind?

Here's something to read: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3464595

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Leaving tomorrow. I already said we're not going to any museums. I'd really like some suggestions on what is a "must eat" food in Paris that isn't available anywhere else.

In boulangeries you can also get flan and different kinds of quiches, which they will heat for you if you want. Both of these things were my favourite foods in paris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

TheEye posted:

I'm also not going alone, or rather I'm meeting someone there. But since you mention it, what's the easy way, or do you just show up and buy it for two? On that note, is the London Pass worth it? It looks like quite a lot of the top attractions are free, but the pass seems to cover most of the others. I suppose it could be a good deal if we can actually make it to several of the ones listed in the span of a day or two.

Regarding the subway, it looks like a 7 day travelcard is what we'd need. I'm not too sure about the zones and whatnot... I mean, it seems like almost everything is in 1 or 2, but then we might also do Windsor Castle (4) and obviously we'll need to go to/from Heathrow (6). But it seems like a waste to get a 1-6 card just for the airport.

One museum that hadn't been mentioned is the Modern Tate gallery, I thought it was spectacular and spent a whole afternoon there.