Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Even if you only go to party, visit Van Gough damnit. That place was awesome.

The other big museum was closed when I went :smith:

I don't care how touristy it is, the RLD is fun.

"The anne frank museum is there and no self respecting amsterdamner would be seen near that thing"

Why is that? Is it because its a tourist heavy location? too much of a downer? Just curious as I'm going to be visiting it in September and my hotel is semi close. (Nadia Hotel).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate

Sai posted:

It's the house and if you read the book as a kid it's cool to see it in real life, but that's about all there is plus some photo's and pages from the book. It's really popular with tourists so there's often lines around the block and it's way too expensive imo.
I mean, I really liked climbing the ESB when I was in NYC for the first time, but you don't want nothing to do with it after that. It's not bad it's just overpriced and the typical tourist thing.

Thats cool, I assumed as much, but being a Tourist and never having been to Holland before, and having read the book as a child in School, its defintely something I'll be sure to check out! Especially since my hotel is so close.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
London goons or anyone with the knowledge, I have a question.

Me and my girlfriend will be arriving in Heathrow next tuesday morning between 6 and 8 am and need to get to our hotel (Impersial Hotel) in Russell square. We are trying to do it on the cheap and avoid taxis and we found online that its apparently very easy and cheap (4-5 pound each) to take the Piccadilly lane/line from the Heathrow underground station about 45 minutes to the Russell square station. Our hotels only a few minutes walk from there so that'd be perfect.

My question is regarding our luggage and the space it would/will take up. We are going to have one standard checked luggage with clothes/etc each as well as a backpack/carry on size luggage type thing. So all in all 4 pieces of luggage 2 medium sized and 2 personal/carry on types. Will there be any problems taking this much space up? I'm hoping where its semi early in the morning we might avoid some rush but a lot of people will be up and on their way to work I suspect.

Me and the gf are both small town folk and have never been on a subway before. We just dont want to break some unwritten etiquette by taking up too much space and making people inconvienienced. Obviously we wouldnt be sprawled up taking anymore then we need but my mental pictures of subways are from Seinfeld and clips from Japan which dont leave a lot to be desired in the way of luggage space.

Also, regarding London itself, if we need to get somewhere 10-20 mins away by car are we better off looking into getting the underground/tram/buses or paying for a taxi? We obviously dont want to go broke paying for cabs but frankly coming from butt gently caress nowhere trying to figure out the London underground system is rather daunting to me and the gf. How expensive a cab ride would it be for rides of 10-20 mins?

Thanks in advance.

Nosaj fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 7, 2010

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
Alright, geuss I'll just man the gently caress up and learn how to use the underground. We're only there 4 days and thought we could get away with taxis but they do seem to be expensive. So oyster card and a good map of the underground it is. Thanks.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
Regarding this map http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

How do you tell where it stops? Is it the little white circles? or the tinier colored protrusions? or both? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I cant tell from their legend. I'm guessing the white circles are where stuff intersects or overlaps? Like if I took the train south from Russell square to Leicester square I can hop off there or is it only a place where tube tracks intersect?

Nosaj fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 7, 2010

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate

Cultural Imperial posted:

The circles are stations that you can change to different lines. The little notches are just stations.

The tube is a little daunting to navigate at first so ask the grumpy tfl shithead for advice if you're unsure. Try not to take the tube during rush hour. No really, don't do it.

Thanks a bunch.

Also the guy above me would you care to elaborate? Its close enough to walk to? is that what you're getting at? So we'd just walk to leicester square station and then take that to whatever destination we needed to get to? Its hard to tell how close things are walking distance from that map.

Nosaj fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 7, 2010

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate

Google maps has a good tube overlay so you can judge better. What I meant was, if you're planning to go to Leicester Square to sightsee, it's more worthwhile to walk there. If you're planning to take the tube to Brixton to hang out, by all means jump on at Russell Square.

eg: http://goo.gl/maps/d9Td

Thanks, getting a handle on it slowly but surely. We will defintely be walking if we're just going sightseeing 15-20 minutes away from the hotel but if we need to get a connecting tube from Leicester we'll probably save our fat out of shape legs the walk and save the time by paying for a quick tube ride.

We're defintely going to look into oyster cards since apparently they are in the 15-30 lb range for a week or so from what I've been quickly reading. Seems like a great way to save money. Thanks again.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate

Don't type "lb" :). I don't recommend taking public transport without an oyster card at all! It's definitely the cheapest, and more importantly fastest way to take the tube/bus. You do not want to be fumbling around for change. The british have this irrational dislike for americans and cherish the opportunity to berate "DUMB FOOKIN YANKS".

Haha we're not American (Canadian) but will most likely be confused for them. Me and the mrs have the plainest most unassuming accents ever. And ya it felt weird typing lb lol sorry about that.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate

Omits-Bagels posted:

You can get some good discounts (2 for 1) for a lot of London attractions here:
http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/attraction-types/2for1london.aspx

A lot of the stuff is crap but they have the Tower of London, London Eye and London Walks (I really enjoyed the Tower and the London Walks - I hear the Eye is pretty cool too). You can save a good amount of money with these deals.

[EDIT] - If you use this great advice to buy tickets to Madame Tussauds I swear I will fly to London and punch you in your stupid Canadian face.

Dont worry I was told already not to waste my money on that (we were totally going to tho!). Saved myself a punch in the face there.

As it stands now we have the Zoo, Aquarium, Tower of London, Shakespeare globe theatre, lion king at lyceum theatre, British Museum, Natural history museum planned into our trip. Ive been reading good things about the London Eye tho so we're probably going to look into that as well.

Nosaj fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
Wow what an oddly specific topic for me to stumble upon after getting home from an 11 hour flight from Rome to Canada Stayed at Hotel Del Fori walked everywhere and it saved so much money thatwe saw so much cool poo poo we probably would have missed on the metro or buses. It was pretty sweet having Via Cavor, Via Nazionalie, and the shopping on Via Condotti not to mention the Pantheon / Forum / Colosseum all within walking distance.

Walking there also gives you the added bonus of gauging your testicular fortitude as you and the missus try to cross on a crosswalk without the light stopping traffic and having polizia driving by smoking cigarettes shrugging. By the third day I would just let a few cars go to be nice then just close your eyes and run blindly onto the crosswalk cause they aint gonna let you by. Got to be aggressive.

So many ristorantes and cafes and poo poo were within our hotel they all looked the same and they all have no problem grabbing you or your gf and trying to put you into a seat and trying to outsell one another. Part of the charm really.

Stay near the ancient city area and you can walk to everything I mentioned earlier and not to mention the Trevi fountain or Circo Maxximuss or the ghettos etc. The best part about having our hotel about 4 minutes from the colosseum was there was little to no chance of us getting lost while walking about town lol.

When I was there they shut down the whole street of Del Fori Imperiali on a Sunday with police blocking off both ends and the street filled with hundredsof young schoolchildren all playing volleyball in nets and uniforms on the street. It was quite the spectacle to see on our way to see the Trevi Fountain and it was fun to watch them all panic when a downpour started. We were only happy to have it rain once in a while since we were walking so drat much It felt nice.

The buses can get a little cramped and hot especially the more touristy ones going to the vatican. They're not that bad but I could smell what people had eaten recently on some of them they were that up in my grill.
The food is amazing, I could eat gelatoo and prosucttio (butchering it I think) all night long.

Oh and dear god If you're planning on going to the Vatican Museum or anywhere near the Vatican BUY YOUR TICKETS AHEAD OF TIME ONLINE. I cant stress this enough, we did it for most places we went but it really paid off here. The line stretched like 4 blocks and was so daunting a wait in the heat I probably wouldnt have waited to get in had I not been able to skip directly to the front of the massive queue show my online ticket with my passport and get to seeing what I came to see.

The Sistine Chapel was cool but I geuss I'm too respectful because the many guards telling everyone "no photos" and the signs declaring "no photos" seemed to deter about 70% of the group while the rest snapped away flash included. The only penalty was being told to stop so there was no real penalty to most who deemed it worthy enough to take a picture of what the rest of us were walking silently under and respecting.

Hell I'm an Atheist who kept his mouth shut and walked around enjoying it for its history and beauty but I still respect the stuff enough not to take flash photography of it, you can start arguing like the one British couple I heard that "Pfft a million flashes probably wouldnt hurt it theyre just giant babies" however I'm of the opinion that it doesent matter if it takes 1 or a billion to harm the tapestries and paintings and stuff have some respect jerkwad and take pictures of the many things you're allowed.

/end rant, basiacally GO TO ROME you wont regret it. Bring good walking shoes, good refillable waters bottles and a hearty appetite. And a room with air conditioning was certainly nice to come home to after sweating our balls off beating the pavement taking hundreds of pictures.

Sorry for the spelling too, long rear end day dealing with massive flight time, flew 5000 miles in the last 24 hours.