Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Insane Totoro posted:

Thanks! This is the kind of advice I'm looking for!

I figured there'd be a commuter flight workaround.... :)

I'd recommend using Skyscanner over Expedia - it's not as great as it used to be but it's still the best flight website, and it lets you be flexible and check prices for every day over a whole month etc. (Does expedia do that? idk.)

Also bear in mind most flights websites won't show you good deals if there's more than an 18-hour layover or whatever. I recently flew from Europe back to Australia and saved like $250 simply by staying in a cheap hotel in Kuala Lumpur overnight and getting a budget flight the next day. So if you're stopping through Rome and you've never been, it may be worth just hanging out a couple of days anyway? (This is also almost always bulletproof advice for anybody flying from New York to London, or sometimes even North America to Europe: stopover in Iceland and save hundreds and hundreds of dollars!)

PlantHead posted:

This should be a general rule. If you go to a different country drink bottled water unless you want to run the risk of getting ill. There are only a very few countries I would drink water out of the tap.

Really? What countries are those? I've drunk the tap water in Spain and Croatia and Greece and never had any issues. These aren't third world countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

When you go to the Louvre make sure you go through one of the entrances near the lion statue near the Seine - I think it leads into the African art wing? You can probably find a map online. There is never any line there, as opposed to the people who line up to enter through the glass pyramid and have to wait for an hour.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Erwin posted:

Kill the dicks who walk around selling them in major European cities. Every ten feet in Italy a dude would shove one in our face and say "selfie stick? selfie stick?" Then after dark they pull out those loving light-up spinny things so they can gently caress up everyone's pictures.

I always felt that a selfie stick isn't really an impulse purchase, you know? Like... the lines have already been drawn and everybody knows where they stand on the matter of selfie sticks by now.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Harley C posted:

I'm going to Barcelona for 5 days and staying in a Hostel, which with flights has cost me only 97 pounds so far!! As an Australian who has just moved to London this price is amazing to me. Does anyone have any good suggestions on what to do? I was thinking of getting drunk with the hostel people/check out local sights for the weekend (arriving on Friday) then renting a scooter and going exploring!

Wander around the Gothic Quarter eating great food and drinking great wine. This was all it took for me to proclaim Barcelona my favourite European city.