Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Are traveller's checks really necessary? What sort of situation would merit their use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Going to Prague on Monday, staying for two nights. There'll be about 7 of us altogether going, half are Americans, the other half Austrians. My boss at my internship told me that Czechs hate Germans and the German language, and proceeded to tell me a story of how he and his friend didn't get served at this restaurant in Prague one time.

Does this hostility still exist today? Maybe we should all stick with speaking English while we're there?

Also, recommend things to do and see, 'specially with night life.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Just keep away from the lower-class Turks. I got in a "rauferei" with a pair of them walking back from a club in the 6th district a couple weeks ago. Also saw a guy (a Turk) get stabbed at Westbahnhof last November.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Fists Up posted:

Ive been checked multiple times going Spain > France and Italy > France

They usually have police at the border rail stations. I think there were a few checking in Austria as well.

I was checked on an ÖBB train by German police going from Austria into Germany (Bavaria) last February. I was kind of confused by it, because you know, Schengen. I asked if something had happened, and the one officer just replied back, "Routine."

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Hi all, I have a 20-hour layover in Helsinki on April 13. Could I get a hostel recommendation within walking distance of obvious things to see in Helsinki? I'll be landing at like 11 at night, and plane leaves at around 7 p.m. the next day. Enlightenment on "obvious things to see" also appreciated.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Ras Het posted:

The obvious things are probably the cathedral and the area around and to the south of it, and the Suomenlinna fortress a 15min ferry trip away out to the sea. So a hostel between the central railway station and Kauppatori would be good for you, but I don't know about them.

Waci posted:

I've heard positive things about The Yard and Diana Park, both of which are very in the middle of everything.

Thanks to both of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
^^^ guy above me, definitely get a tour of the Rock of Gibraltar. And a day trip to Tangier Morocco is totally doable.

WaryWarren posted:

Here are some Bolzano recommendations, with the caveat that I never ate at any really expensive places due to being a poorly-paid researcher:

For pizza: Muflone Rosa (Via della Roggia, 22) - either make a reservation or get there right when they open at 18:30, small place that fills up fast. Service wasn't that great the last time I went there but was decent all the other times I went;
nussbaumer (Via dei Bottai, 11) - get the pizza here, skip the rest, better people watching on a somewhat busy pedestrian street (as opposed to muflone rosa)

For traditional Südtirolean: Cavallino Bianco Weisses Rossl (Bindergasse, 6); Franziskanerstuben (Via Dei Francescani, 7); Wirsthaus Voegele(Via Johann Wolfang von Goethe, 3)

For a brewpub: Batzenhäusl (Via Andreas Hofer, 30), they serve typical South Tyrolean fare as well as beer, large area outside for dining

For an apertivo: Exil Lounge Cafe (Piazza del Grano, 2A)

For gelato: Avalon (Corso della Libertà, 44)

Oh my god thank you for this. I'm headed to Bozen for 3 days during the second week of April on vacation with a couple friends and was just about to throw a line into this thread.

I was wondering if there are any WWI sites around there, like old bunkers in the hills? And of course I need to see old Ötzi.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 31, 2017