Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Any suggestions for day trips from Turin? I've spent two afternoons in the city so that's cool. I'm thinking Genoa, maybe some vine town like Alba and ??? No real preferences, but maybe something Apline for a different flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WaryWarren posted:

Genoa is great, get lost in the tangle of streets in the old town.
Looking forward to that! Turns out today is a big solstice and/or? St Giuseppe festival here. Of course I did gently caress all research so I only discovered this when I saw a giant pile of firewood set up for a bonfire in the middle of a previously empty square :v: Tomorrow is the second day of the festival so I thought that would be the time to go to Genoa and...

:owned:

There's only a bit of rain foretasted for Turin so I really didn't expect for everywhere else to be raining. If I can't find something else where it won't be lovely all day, the backup for tomorrow is car and Egyptian museums.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't know what Italians do in this weather but Europeans further north would certainly be like "gently caress that, I'm going to the festival anyway and I'll just bring an umbrella". If you force yourself to stay inside whenever there's a drop of rain you'd never get anything done.
Oh I'm sure they went ahead with it but since I had a choice, I could just avoid being wet the whole day :)

I was back in Torio the same evening and got to see the massive fireworks show and everything anyway.

asur posted:

A 2 hour drive one way seems pretty far to me, but if you're going to Genoa you can also check out Portofino.

I've heard Colle del Nivolet is nice for alpine. It's again 2 hours though. I think most alpine will be around that or a bit farther though.

Saladman posted:

Yeah, I don't see a scale for that rain, but since those wind speeds aren't super high, it looks just like drizzle? I'd go anyway. I would not go hiking in the Alps in that weather though, unless the weather is below the mountain line, but in summer, the rain clouds are usually quite high and hard to get above.

Also Genoa to Torino seems super far for a day trip? For Alba, also keep in mind that Ferro Rocher doesn't do visits of their factory, there's absolutely nothing public there. Maybe there's some other reason to go there, but I remember looking at the region around there a few times (as I've driven through quite a few times) and it's kind of like... the least interesting part of Italy imo. Alessandria has a huge star fort, but it's all very fallen down and decayed and the city is fine but unremarkable. The hills around Asti are also nice, but not as nice as Tuscany and you'd need a car, plus why go there when there are the Alps next door. Basically it's the part of Italy where you'd have to be a 100% completionist to really want to spend a lot of time, or at least that was my impression. The Ligurian coast is amazing and the Alps are amazing, so it might just be that in contrast to what is nearby, that region is a dud, even if it would be amazing if it were in like, central Germany.
I cropped the scale accidentally but it was a pretty decent amount, not like 0.5mm/hr.

Genoa turned out great. Yes it's about two hours away, but by train you can be barely conscious on it and catch up on sleep. Great city to visit, the old town, the sea, the hills, Boccadasse, etc. all make it a more diverse experience than Torinoi itself.

The Alba/Borolo was mostly to see the wine region. Would've loved the alpine region too of course but I've been to the German, Austrian and Italian alps before fairly recently. Weird that there were no signs of Ferro Rocher anywhere even in town though. The trip almost turned into a disaster thanks to lovely public transport to/from Barolo. Getting there was easy by bus directly from the train station, but it turned out there were only two return buses that afternoon so I only ended up spending like an hour and a half there. Almost enough to see a small village and do some wine tasting (all tastes the same) also lol at those prices jesus christ.

EricBauman posted:

Not from Turin, but in Turin: the movie museum in the old synagogue (which was never actually used as a synagogue) is cool. I'm not sure you can still just sit in a lounge chair and watch the entirety of Cabiria, but that was just what I needed at that point in my trip. They probably change movies every once in a while

smackfu posted:

Turin also has an Egypt museum for some reason, probably disreputable history. Cool mummies and statues.

We had the museum pass and did that one, the cinema museum, and the auto museum, I think. All fun.
Decided to skip the Egyptian museum. Just a few months ago I went through a bunch of museums in NY and Boston so I have mummies coming out the rear end.

Last day went to the car museum which was really good, and planned to hit the cinema one in the afternoon but was running short on time by the time I had lunch. The flight ended up being delayed by an hour so I could've made it but it's not something I could count on.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hostelling International are a chain and you can save a few bucks per day if you get a membership.

Most touristy places are already sold out, but things could be cheaper in a nearby, less popular location. I was able to get reasonable rates in Turin on short notice, while Genoa was all sold out because it's on the sea. Some locations are just going to be always expensive. I think Barcelona was pretty bad even a few years pre-covid, and German or Austrian options weren't very cheap either. A few months back I pad like 30EUR even for a camping spot.

Barcelona in July's gonna be hosed either way. If there are two of you, you'll likely be better off with a cheap hotel room (or apartment) than hostel dorms.

Things will be cheaper if you go to Eastern Europe instead. So maybe consider Albania instead!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I brought in straight up THC edibles from NY, as long as you don't get caught by the customs it should be fine :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I really appreciate the advice, thanks everyone! Here's some of better pictures I've taken since arriving, shot mostly during my walk to and from the Plaza de Espańa in the Parque de María Luisa.

Man that looks cool as poo poo! Seville is the only major spot I didn't hit on my Southern Spain roadtrip in 2020 (went just before the autumn wave hit). I still have some markers on my map, unfortunately they're not part of a custom map so I can't share them directly but maybe this will be helpful. Lots of cool stuff in Andaluscia.

As for the Nasrid Palace, I'm pretty sure I've done gently caress-all planning in advance but didn't have any issues getting a ticket. It was during covid times though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bourricot posted:

How is that counterintuitive? Get as much cool air as you can, and prevent heat from getting in, sounds logical. I do the same in my badly insulated apartment.
I think it could be counterintuitive to some because people usually try to get as much ventilation going as possible when it's hot, opening windows to get a draft, running fans, etc.

But if the house is well insulated, OP's thing totally works better. I have external blinds too so basically I get it as cold as possible during the night and then seal everything up in the morning. It's never gotten more than mildly unpleasant even during the hottest days.

This year I want to try logging the inside/outside temperatures with different approaches and also building one of those bucket swamp coolers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cheese Thief posted:

Cant figure out how to get a taxi in Rome at the airport. One tried to charge 50 so I demanded out and tossed him 2 euro change. It’s been 2 hours of walking around trying to find my way out, but now i have an hour trek on foot to the hotel and it’s so hot. All the taxis I saw pointed me another direction saying local taxi that way. Thank god I’m alone I’d hate to drag anyone else through this hell after a 10 hour flight.

Lmao. Which airport?

I think the last time I was at Fiumicino and there was a bus that went to the center for a few euros.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Saladman posted:

I couldn't find anything about tabacchis no longer selling tickets when I googled just now, but we tried like four shops in central Rome near Trevi Fountain and none of them sold bus tickets, so I looked for an online solution and was surprised that it was actually well-implemented.

A lot of other places are getting rid of those tickets though, like Paris got rid of the carnets of tickets in March 2022, pushing everyone towards the metro card or smartphone apps, although I think you can still get single tickets (but maybe have to go to a manned desk?).

Tabacchi tickets are still most definitely a thing everywhere else in Italy, just confirmed in Genoa and Turin, and last year in Bari. Rome was a few years back though.

distortion park posted:

The buses in Paris have my favourite system actually - you can text a number with your bus number and they bill you + reply with the ticket.(it's explained on the bus stand) Way easier and quicker than messing around with an app or even a ticket machine.
They have this in Prague too but it has to be enabled on your phone plan which my company doesn't do so lol.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Doesn't seem like the heatwave has hit here yet. It was hot but not remarkably so.

Entropist posted:

Taxis are always a scam in Europe, even if you don't get overcharged there might be high fixed rates. You can almost always avoid taking one unless you have to be at an airport really early/late.

For Amsterdam they are like €50 as well, and the airport is a 10 minute train ride (like €4.50) from the center with night trains running too.

My flight to Turin was pretty late and got delayed by like 90 minutes so we arrived just before the last bus departed and had no chance of catching it. The 20 minute ride cost more than a 1.5 hour flight for two, by a lot.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've never had to actually use an IDP, no matter what the theory said. Everywhere in the EU, obviously, but also South Africa, US and Ukraine all were fine with just an EU license.

The cool think about the IDP is that there are two types, one expires in 1 year and another in 3(?) and, theoretically, some countries accept one but not the other, so you, theoretically, need to maintain both if you travel a lot.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

found some temptingly cheap flights to Munich or Copenhagen for the fall; for entering the Schengen area, I suppose I should still expect to provide proof of a negative COVID test result within 72 hours of entry?

Nobody knows. At the moment it's not required, but you should keep an eye out for the specific country. The Schengen area doesn't have its own covid policy.

quote:

On June 1st, the obligation to provide proof – vaccinated, recovered or tested negative – ended when entering Germany. Excluded are people arriving from a virus variant area. However, no country is currently classified as a virus variant area.
From June 11, 2022, the remaining corona-related entry restrictions for entry from third countries were also lifted. Due to a reciprocity reservation, however, this does not apply to entries by residents from China.
https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/en/service/gesetze-und-verordnungen/guv-19-lp/coronavirus-einreiseverordnung.html

I'd buy the tickets if you want to go. At worst they'll require vaccination and/or negative test, I'm very confident there won't be a complete entry ban.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If you do go to Neuschwanstein by yourself, keep in mind that you might need to buy tickets in advance. Guess how I found that out :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Saladman posted:

Cuba - Hyundai Sante X: $1600 for 7 days ($228/day) - peak season (over Christmas)
Iceland - Dacia Duster 4x4: €1100 for 10 days (€101/day) - high season (mid June)
Ethiopia - Nissan Patrol 4x4: $97/day for 24 days - high season
Namibia - Dacia Duster 4x4: $1330 for 15 days ($89/day) - mid season
Montenegro - Dacia Sandero (midsize): €380 for 5 days (€76/day) - high season

Good lord that was an expensive rental for Cuba. I think I'd generally balk at more than $50/day in Europe for a Clio or Polo or whatever the smallest class vehicle is, if it's somewhere in high season with little competition and with a real possibility of 100% of cars being rented out, like Norway or Iceland or Montenegro.
All those prices are kind of :eyepop: but that's specialized touristy prices of course. Though I rented at €50/day in Iceland last year. In Europe where you get normal business travel it's usually much more reasonable. In Frankfurt, Vienna, Milan you can book a Golf for €35/day from normal companies like Sixt or Avis. Even Dublin seems to have reasonable prices now, when I looked a few months ago they were through the loving roof. That's without insurance though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol buses in Italy outside of urban areas can be a bit sketchy. Earlier this year I went to a small wine town west of Turin and getting there was easy: train then change to a bus that stops immediately outside the train station. It goes in the next village over but nbd, like 10 minute walk.

Except that going back... not so easy! That bus route apparently doesn't stop in that same village going in the opposite direction, and google only knew of one scheduled bus returning from the town that day. I went to check it out and the supposed bus stop wasn't marked in any way, and nearby shop owners didn't know of any bus and told me I'd need to get a taxi for $$$ of course. Shockingly, the bus did actually arrive but I had to cut my time in the area at least in half.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
TAP Portugal just got me "stuck" for 3 more days on a the beach in the Gambia because of a strike, so they're pretty cool in my book

Entropist posted:

I was in Taormina a few months ago. It's also nice if you are not fancy. I stayed in a cheap hostel by the beach meaning I had to climb a sketchy path up the hill if I wanted to go into town, but by the sea there were some good places to eat and such too. The train station was also down there, so it was much easier for me to get out to other places than if I was staying in the center, and it was well connected. You can do some nice walking in the area, it's a good base to visit Etna, and of course there are beaches, though the ones next to Taormina aren't especially nice. There is also quite a bit of interesting history especially related to the Greek colonization of Sicily, and an amphitheatre.

You can also consider staying in Giardini-Naxos, which is basically connected to Taormina along the beach. It is less fancy but it was also the first Greek settlement in Sicily. There is no proper train station, but buses along the coast towards Taormina are pretty frequent.

Sicily gets really hot in summer, so I would avoid it in those months, though by the coast it can be surviveable.

The people at the hostel indeed didn't really speak English, but there are others where they do.

I never heard of White Lotus, apparently this season came out after I was there so I guess I haven't seen the effects on it yet. It was a pretty chill place at the end of Sept / early Oct this year, with beach weather still.
Yeah I was there at the beginning of the year. The path to the town is pretty hilarious, especially at night after it's been raining when I had to go down to catch a train to Catania. Also no sidewalk to the train station.

It's a nice little town but it probably doesn't make much sense staying for more than a day or two unless you make it the base for traveling the area.

English isn't always an option but I found I could get by with very basic phrase-book Italian knowledge in the worst case.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 26, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Saladman posted:

I just flew them to Miami last week from Lisbon. It was okay, albeit like a 2010-era LCC with carryon only, a single* terrible meal for a 9 hour flight, and someone weighing bags and hassling people at the gate during boarding. So pretty bad for a national carrier like Swiss or Air France or Iberia, ok if compared to like, Norwegian Air Shuttle.

*they had a "breakfast" before landing but (a) the flight left at 11am and arrived at like 3pm, and (b) it was a tiny muffin that was fine, plus some absolutely disgusting salad made out of cod. Traditional Portuguese food is the absolute rock bottom worst of any national cuisine, incredibly salty salted cod in everything. At least the Icelanders don’t put hakarl in their breakfast cereal.

For Sicily I was there for five days in April just before Easter. It was pretty dead everywhere touristy, like Segesta maybe had 20 people at the entire site, and Erice had like 10 people in the entire village and a single restaurant open. My wife went to east side of the island after and wasn’t a huge fan of Taormina but she absolutely loved the Aeolian islands. You can base on one and daytrips to the others… if weather is good and if Volcano is not erupting. Stromboli is pretty far and you’d want the summer ferry schedule, but it’s possible even with the winter ferry schedule. Depends when you plan on going to that area.
Oh man, regarding breakfast, my flight from Banjul was at like 2am and they served breakfast at like 3:30 or something stupid like that, good luck getting any sleep on that flight. At least it was pretty tasty, no gross fish or anything.

The winter ferry is a bit sketchy, I didn't manage to leave for two days due to weather. Had to abandon the islands :(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was in Naples almost exactly a year ago. I'll agree that Pompeii is definitely worth visiting but walking around the foundations does get old pretty quickly. Otherwise not much to add.

Maybe keep an eye out on weather and if it's nice enough, do try the islands. We did Anacapi and it's cool. I'd leave Rome to another trip, I'm sure it's doable but you should have plenty of direct flights from the UK to just hop over whenever there's a sale. I like to visit different countries too but Italy is worth more than one and I try to do at least two every year.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wizzair has flights to TERF island [E: aka Britain] for :20bux:, worth it for a long weekend?

Haven't been there as an adult, no idea if it's turned into a nightmare since and there's anything to do in the winter.

webmeister posted:

The whole "take your shoes off" drives me up the loving wall, thankfully it's pretty much only the US where you have to do it

I also never bother taking off my belt (it's never once set off a metal detector), and unless they specifically ask I don't take out electronics or liquids either. Very rarely have a problem, anywhere in the world. And I only ever take carry-on luggage so I've always got all that stuff in my bag
Yeah loving shoes are the worst. Not only it's completely pointless, but also inconvenient and gross as hell. I got a belt with a plastic buckle that I use whenever I have a lot of flights, so that's one thing not to worry about.

Also my home airport:
Do you have a laptop or other electronics? Please take them out. Ok.

Connecting flight from Lisbon that same day:
No no please put the laptop in the bag, it's all scanned together. Fuuuk.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 5, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Saladman posted:

I spent a few months in late fall / early winter in London and it’s okay, I mean it’s not like it matters if the weather sucks if you’re in the British Museum all day. Also it’s the UK so the weather is cold and rainy like 80% of summer too. Still, long way to go for a weekend. TERF island is a new one to me, I thought that was going to be an abbreviation for Terceira or something.
Yeah it's new nickname to me too, I think I picked it up from the Shaun's video on Rowling or something like that? Probably should've used it to avoid confusion :)

I'm in Europe so it's only like 1.5 hours, will probably take longer to get to London proper from loving Luton. Good point about the weather though, and I don't think I've been to the British Museum as I spent most of my time outside of London so that would take most of a day already I'd imagine.

Lady Gaza posted:

Be aware that due to a decade of austerity, inflation, cost of living rises, and the government refusing to give pay rises to public sector workers, there are a whole bunch of strikes at the moment. For a tourist the most impactful would be the rail strikes, however if you get ill or hit by a bus or something the nurse/paramedic strike might affect you too.
Thanks for the heads-up, I guess I'll take a first aid kit just in case!

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 5, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kiimo posted:

Thank you for closing a loop in my brain from 2017 and confusion why these legendary trains were all late

There's no strong leader to make them run on time!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

borkencode posted:

Looks like I’m headed to Iceland at the beginning of February. Most things I’ve read focused on travel during the summer months, so any winter oriented tips would be appreciated. Spending basically 4 days, with my wife’s only real goal being seeing the northern lights.
Is it 4 full days, without travel? You should be able to comfortable do south coast and leave some room to breath. Maybe do the Golden Circle too. All of iceland is fascinating but the south is definitely the most packed. They weren't doing ice caves when we were there but I guess it has to be in one of the glaciers. If you check a few of the tour companies, they're doing to have all sorts of activities.

As for Reykjavik itself, Bollock Monkey has the good info. We were there only one day really, but it's a pretty lovely town.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 6, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

borkencode posted:

Looks like we're doing at least one night in Reykjavik, and one night in Vik probably. My wife mentioned finding some place that would wake you up if the aurora was active, not sure where that was. Everything was the south coast for sure though.

I think the tentative plan is:
Getting in at like 6:30am day 1 (yay for a "12 hour" flight [6hours+6 timezones]) Go to the blue lagoon (I think she already bought tickets) to de-jet-lag, then make our way toward Vik.
Day 2+3 Nothing solid planned
Day 4 Spend the morning in Reykjavik before flight back home in the afternoon.

I'm a bit of a last minute sub for the trip, since she was planning on going with a couple of friends, and one backed out.
Whoa that's pretty hardcore!

On the way to Vik there's a bunch of waterfalls, of course, and the town of Skógar has a highly-rated museum but we didn't make it because of time so no idea what's in there. I think we stayed at the Sólheimahjáleiga Guesthouse not far from Vik, it's opposite of the plane wreck. You should make it to Vik the first day though if you set out before lunch though. Near Vik I'd check out Dyrhólaey cliffs and the black beach (from the Vik side).

I think I'd try to make it to the Skaftafell Glacier and Jökulsárlón/Diamond Beach the next day. It's around 200km but that was probably one of my favorite places.

You can also check the Fagradalsfjall volcano south of Reykjavik on the last day, it was still kind-of active when we were there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wizzair gave me a :10bux: voucher so I'm off to Milan for a weekend in February :) Anything particular of particular interest to check out in and around beyond the usual Tripadvisor stuff?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Paperhouse posted:

for an authentic experience try going to a Milan game wearing an Inter shirt and getting your head kicked in
Solid tip.

webmeister posted:

See if you can get tickets to Santa Maria Delle Grazie, it’s where the Last Supper painting is located
Booking stuff in advance is something I often neglect and end up being surprised that poo poo is sold out for weeks ahead.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I went in the summer, so YMMV, but I liked the random parks scattered near the downtown core, especially the Giardini Indro Montanelli and Parco Sempione. They're both near lots of little streets filled with beautiful buildings and little restaurants Quick example: walk east from Corso Venezia to Via Giuseppe Baretti; there's a nondescript little square flanked by gorgeous old apartments labeled as Piazza Eleonora Duse on Google Maps. Really lovely.
As long as it's not raining that sounds great!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

smackfu posted:

Someday I want to try the Rick Steves super minimalist packing system. All fancy travel clothes, you have one change of clothes and you wash in the sink every night or two. Everything fits in a day pack.
Never heard of this guy before now but that's what I often do to fit everything in one 20l backpack together with a drone and camera gear. An extra pair of socks and underwear, a t-shirt/polo, long sleeve shirt, optionally shorts. This give you several combinations to wear (with addition to what you had on originally) and a few days between washing anything. Obviously this works better for shorter trips in good weather.

His guides do look interesting, I'll check it out for future use.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You don't need to dress like a bum (and/or tourist dad) when packing lightly, unless it's like hiking trip just take normal street clothes. Considering we're in the Europe thread, clean jeans and button-down shirts will be fine, if it's cooler I have a down jacket like everyone wears but you can dress it up with a sports coat and that will be enough to put in in the 1% unless you're planning on attending an opera or something.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was bored during a meeting so I just did a highly scientific analysis of people walking by:

Out of 31 people:
  • 2 bright jackets (green, red)
  • 6 midtone burgundy/beige
  • 23 black/navy

So that's your central european winter camouflage if you want to blend in.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm assuming the censored picture had nudity in it. Noted, will give it a try.
It's a reflection in the glass.

But yes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

distortion park posted:

lol nice job, but the ridership on that is hitting all their targets
Well greece might not have trains to run there soon at this rate

Saladman posted:

Just wait until you try to find a restaurant with a goddamn open kitchen before 8pm. Worst dinner hours in Europe, and probably the world.
You mean the only correct dinner hours. Who eats supper before 8, certainly not me because I'm not a loving farmer :colbert:

Bollock Monkey posted:

Yep! It was massive!

Also a cup of battered and fried things (pasta, mini arancini, savoury doughnut things, courgette, aubergine, topped with a courgette flower).

Loved a lunchtime bowl of delicious ragů from Tandem... So much good food to be had in the city. The pasta was more comment-worthy than the pizza, in my opinion, but I am lucky to have lived in places with bangin' pizza.
:getin: my belly!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Last time I took a sleeper train was in Uzbekistan and it looked something like this just full. Basically a rolling open-plan hostel. Four beds in the sections on the left and two length-wise on the right. Interesting experience, to say the least. My last train trip was at 3-6am in "business class" but the seats didn't fold out or recline at all.

E: Oh actually I've done a proper sleeper train in Eastern Europe over a decade ago back when I was in school and spending a day just doing nothing was cool. I think it wasn't too bad, it's an interesting experience if you've never tried it.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 21, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kiimo posted:

that is a lot of feet to inhale all night.
Yes it is

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely, unless you do daytrips to the lakes or maybe Turin. A car might be useful but not 100% necessary. Don't be an idiot like me though and do book the visit to Santa Maria delle Grazie weeeell in advance. Like several weeks at least.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Saladman posted:

To continue Italy talk: has anyone been around Puglia? We go there for 9 days/nights in early June, with the last 3 days being a wedding way at the bottom in Otranto.

For sure we will visit Matera, but besides I’m having a hard time figuring out if there’s any particular AMAZING spot or if Lecce, Bari, and Brindisi are all nice but also essentially equivalent. It doesn’t look like Bari or Brindsi actually use their beachside location in any touristic way, instead stuffing the coast in the cities with big port facilities. Lecce seems to have the nicest historic center, in that it is pedestrianized.

Thinking something like land in Bari late afternoon, get a car, drive to Matera, spend 2 nights there, Lecce 2 nights, the Otranto 2 nights. That still leaves 3 nights undecided. Thinking maybe add a third night in Matera and use that day to visit Craco, so then 2 nights in… Bari? Brindisi? Gallipoli? Make Lecce a 3 night stay and do 1 night in a small hotel on the beach somewhere by Gallipoli? We don’t like doing one night stays but if going by car and if it’s only once in a week long trip then it’s tolerable.

We speak Italian, don’t care about churches, do like castles and old towns. Locorotondo or Alberobello are probably on the list for a couple hour stop but not sure we’d need to really stay in either.

I liked Bari well enough, there isn't that much touristy stuff but it's nice to hang out there for a few nights. The opposite side from the port is pretty walkable. Matera and Alberobello are good day trips. I don't know if it's really necessary to spend two nights in Matera though. If you like castles try Castel del Monte, I didn't make it there as I decided not to rent a car, but it looks nice. Maybe check out Taranto if you're going south.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Regarding Alberobello, I think this was the less touristy side, even though it's directly across the mega-touristy part (on the left from that parking lot). It's pretty compact though so you can easily move where you want.

I took a train to Matera but there's definitely some parking available nearby. Locals seem to drive somehow on the tiny old-town streets but it's probably only accessible for residents.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dphi posted:

Will be in Salzburg, Austria for ~3 weeks for work next month, open to any suggestions for stuff to do on the weekends. I'll have a car as well so if there's something worth making a drive for, I'd be interested in that as well. Places to avoid, restaurants to visit, etc., appreciate any info!
Don't know much about the city specifically, other than hanging out downtown for a bit. There's a relatively small but cool aircraft museum called Hangar-7 if you're into that. Königssee nearby in Germany is worth visiting. The Eagle's Nest is there too lol, it was closed when I was there but should have cool views.

Farther out you Zell Am See is a nice town with mountains and a lake, might be worth staying there or nearby for a few days and going to drive up Großglockner or Krimml Waterfalls.
Hallstatt is super touristy but worth checking out IMO. Kölnbrein dam is supposedly pretty cool but I didn't make it there so can't confirm myself. Probably a shitload of other hiking stuff if you're into that.

kiimo posted:

Seems like one of the few places to visit where you go aww shucks when you realize you'll be visiting in spring instead of winter
Spring and summer can be cool too though I'm not sure what's the weather is like in May.

E:

Saladman posted:

I don't know if anyone else has tried this, but my brother suggested trying out ChatGPT for travel tips and holy poo poo is he right. It makes figuring out tourism itineraries like a million times easier. Instead of either having to follow the single same tourist hitlist that every blog uses, you can just ask it for lesser-known sites and it finds things that I did not see after spending like 10 hours reading about Puglia.

I tried feeding it some of the more recent posts here, both mine and others', and it does a way better job than regular Googling. After questioning it quite a bit I don't think it's as good as asking people who actually have done a significant amount of traveling in a specific area, but it knows way more than locals tend to about their own areas, except for the rare people who actually know anything about the region in which they live. It also does as good of a job as people who do enjoy tourism but only have cursory experience about an area, like its response to busy bee's initial series of questions for Montenegro was as detailed as mine, but for her detailed questions ("which hikes to do in Kotor bay") it gives way better / more detailed info.

Also I ragged on rich people from poor countries not knowing anything about tourism in their countries a while ago, but honestly it's just as bad in Switzerland and probably the rest of Europe. Most Swiss people I know have been to (a) their home town, (b) one single ski town where they have gone every year since they were kids, (c) they had to go to Bern on a school trip once, and (d) one specific place that they like and go to all the time in summer. You'll get way more useful travel tips asking an average Swiss person about Italy than you would asking them about Switzerland, especially anything on the other side of the terrifying Röstrigraben.

Anyway, RIP travel forums.
Oh yeah I don't know poo poo about my area either :v:

Bing just messaged me out of the blue on Skype this morning so I fed it the same prompt that I guess you used:

quote:

There are many great day hikes to do in the Kotor Bay area during the summer. Here are some recommendations:

1. Sveti Ivan Fortress: This hike stands 280m (918 ft) above Kotor harbour, and boasts a picture-perfect view of the Old City, the harbour itself, and the entire Bay of Boka Kotorska1.
2. Donji Stoliv: This hike is less challenging than Sveti Ivan Fortress but it's just as scenically rewarding1.
3. The Ladder of Kotor: This hike is a bit more strenuous but it's worth it for the views. The trail starts next to the Old Town of Kotor and ends on P1 very close to Restaurant Nevjesta Jadrana3.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 7, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa, just learned that there's a salt mine in Berchtesgaden (near the lake/Eagle's Nest) that I haven't been to:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...%2Fg%2F120wr20f

There's also an ice cave that was closed when I was there (and according to google still is) but maybe keep an eye on it:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/E...16zL20vMDZzZHpt

Good suggestions on Hallstatt. You can also go for as swim in the lake if the weather is nice enough, there's a beach on the little island, close to the parking P1.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I just typed Hallstatt in google maps to see where it was and I discovered just out of town there's a hiking area called "Arschlochwinkel", aka "rear end in a top hat Corner". German language wikipedia says it actually exists and it got this name because in the 19th century locals got annoyed by surveyors asking all the time "what's that place called" and started making up poo poo.
You won't believe some of the names that Austrians have, those dirty bastards!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I worked these Easter holidays so I could take a trip this coming weekend instead. Any suggestions for Varna or Bulgaria in general? Must've been there with my parents like 20 years ago at least but don't remember poo poo.

Bollock Monkey posted:

Has anyone here been to Kosovo? How was it?

Not yet :(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Entropist posted:

I've been to Varna, but was there mainly for work so I didn't plan too much. I also don't seem to have saved restaurants even though I went to some cool ones. One that I still can find is Morski Valk, which had good traditional food and was cheap, but it seems closed currently. We went to two sites outside of Varna. One was the Pliska fortress, which seemed historically interesting but there was really not much left of it, so perhaps not so interesting. The other was the Madara Rider rock relief, which was cool and the whole area around it is pretty as well.

But I was mainly interested in the beach. We spent a lot of time at the beach bar Cubo.

Thanks! Found a few other things, like there's a Naval museum close to Cubo, and a submarine relatively close in Beloslav, as well as some historical ruins or something. Sofia seems too far away to make a trip worth it. I'd love to chill on the beach but so far that's not looking too promising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Saladman posted:

Hey, that weather forecast wouldn't stop Justin Bieber from swimming at the beach (ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfGaX8G0f2E&t=175s ). He has those Canadian genes though.

You also seem to end up in a lot of places that WizzAir flies to with the cheapest prices (for a reason).
Not Canadian but I'm pretty used to poo poo weather so why not give it a try, right

Ah, well, nevertheless

Yep I snatch up whatever shows up on sale so I can get out and see something new between the big annual vacations. It's literally cheaper than driving to a city 120km away and back, and can often be squeezed into a long weekend. Try to make up for the CO2 by not driving to work every day.