Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
:siren:DON'T GO EVERYWHERE. DON'T SPEND ONLY 5 DAYS IN A COUNTRY. IT'S BETTER TO SPEND MORE TIME IN A FEW PLACES THAN NOT A LOT OF TIME IN A LOT OF PLACES. THERE ARE SOME MANY loving THINGS TO SEE IN EVERY COUNTRY, DON'T ASK "CAN I DO GERMANY IN 4 DAYS? WHAT'S COOL TO SEE?" YOUR ITINERARY CAN'T BE "I HAVE 2 WEEKS, SEEING UK, FRANCE, ITALY AND GERMANY, PLZ HALP" WE WON'T HELP AND WILL JUST TELL YOU TO CUT IT DOWN TO 1/2 COUNTRIES AT THE MOST, SO DO THIS AHEAD OF TIME.:siren:

Because of the massive number of "I'm going to europe, please help" threads that appear here, I decided to make a megathread. If anyone has a contribution post it or PM it to me and I'll edit into the OP. Also, ask any questions you have, I've lived in/been to a lot of western Europe.

General Information:

Travel

Rail:

While sometimes not the most time-efficient manner to get from A to B, rail travel is often a relatively pleasant experience that is unhampered by everything that makes air travel so horrible. Most countries feature some sort of high speed rail system, most notably ICE in Germany, TGV in France, Eurostar (operates throughout western Europe), and Thalys (Mainly Amsterdam-Brussels-Paris, goes to Aachen and some other German cities as well). Many high speed lines require reservations, which can either be made at booths in stations or online through a company website. It is often very cheap to take small regional trains, which are a great way to get around a country.

**Bonus Category - Rail Passes**

There are multiple types of rail passes, most notable Britrail, Eurail and Interrail. Eurail is a pass designed for anyone living outside of Europe, and the passes are available in multiple configurations and at multiple price ranges. Interrail is for any European citizens who want to travel in a country other than their own(have they changed this?) and is also available in multiple configurations. Britrail is a railpass for the Uk because they are special snowflakes enjoying splendid Isolation. Rail passes are generally a good deal if you want to take a long trip on a high speed train, otherwise it is often better to purchase tickets at a station or online if you are taking a short trip.

Air:

Most airports are well serviced by regional bussing and subway systems, and many have an attached train station. Europe has a large number of discount carriers, which are often cheaper and quicker than any other means of travel. Many discount (and even major) carriers often have very good seat sales, so if you have a trip planned in advance frequently check for these.

Road:

Hitler's ingenious Autobahn system has now made it easier than ever to get around continental Europe by car - especially Germany and Austria. Autobahns are usually a 4-8 lane highway (usually 6) with an average speed of around 150km/h, more if you know what you're doing, less if you don't. Autobahns often require some sort of permit sticker, so have one of those lest you are forced to pay a fine. These high quality highways blanket Germany, Austria, some of france and are the major routes in most other EU countries, and are often a pleasant driving experience. Especially Austria. British highways/motorways are very similar to anything in North America.

Driving in cities is often a hassle, as these are very high population concentration centres. Additionally, many of these cities were never planned around automobiles, so there are many narrow, twisty streets that don't seem to follow any pattern.

Languages

If you're reading this you most likely speak some english, which is great for you because it's the universal language. The ever-pronounced American culture has given everyone english movies, television and music, so it's usually understood to an extent. Also, american tourists (and their dollars) all speak english. Additionally, this is the language that is spoken between people from any European country when they get together, and almost all of the younger generations opt to learn it in school over all other languages.

Money

Everyone in the Euroze (Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Nederlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia and Spain) all use the Euro. The Swiss use Francs, the Danish, Swedish and Norwegians all use some variation of the kronor, and the special snowflake land of the UK uses the pound sterling.

~more poo poo to come as I write it, if a national writes a country guide and PMs it I'll put it in the OP~

Landsknecht fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Varicelli posted:

I'm going to London->Paris->??->Rome over a 4 week period in September/October, I'm only going there for such a short time because of schooling constraints and the way part of the trip is paid for (travel and 5 nights in Paris won), and the plan is ~4 nights in London, trekking up to Liverpool to see a game on the 25th and then flying to France the next day, then 5 nights in Paris and off to Rome (via the riviera?)..

This is kinda' broad, but.. Any suggestions?

If it was up to me, I'd go Paris-strasbourg-General switzerland (Geneva-Zurich-Bern, pick one or two, maybe see mountains)-Northern Italian Cities-rome

4 weeks is a fair amount of time, and it really depends what you like to see/want to do. Most mountain trails in the alps are quite hikeable in early september, and if you want to take a few days it's a great thing to do. If you want to see northern Italy there is an amazing amount of stuff there, and a huge amount of cool cities (trent, turin, genoa, milan, venice, bologna, parma and more). That being said, it all depends on what YOU want to do.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Riven posted:

We mainly need recommendations for what to do on the free day in Paris, what to do in Munich for a day, and most importantly what to do in Vienna for our three free days.

There's a lot of cool poo poo in paris, I personally like the musee d'orsay, it's pretty rad

Munich? depending what you're in to, I'd say check out either the deutches-museum or BMW-welt, both are really cool. Drink some beer buy going to a hall for dinner, if it's in the winter you should be getting the heavy, dark beer, which is really nice IMO.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Butthole Prince posted:

A friend went to Europe and traveled primarily by rail. From what he told me, he had to share the cabin with 3-4 people and it was near impossible to sleep. Is it possible to get a private cabin, and if so, how much do those run?

I haven't travelled by night train much, but when I did it was usually with a friend in a 2 or 3 person cabin for the 2 of us. The price depends on the route(anywhere from 50-250 euro pp), but often I found it cheaper to take a plane.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Arzakon posted:

Counterpoint, if you can handle driving in any major US city than you can handle driving in Italy I barely noticed the difference between there and other EU states. It really isn't that bad.

Southern Italy is bad, but it's the same in the balkans, I was told many times "oh, don't worry about driving, the police don't care if you're a bit too drunk"

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Gaza posted:

Can I survive on 50 euros a day while backpacking? I have the hostels covered and euro-rail I'm just curious if 50/day is enough for food and occasional drinks/weed.

Edit: I'm young and will be eating as cheap as possible.

depends where you are, but that's more than enough, i've done it on 25 euros per day, and that included a fair amount of booze

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

duckmaster posted:

I assume he means Eindhoven which is where Ryanair fly to and is about 1.5 hours from Amsterdam by train. All the other major airlines fly to Schipol though.

The "take a ferry" option is.. err.. ridiculous. You need to take two trains from Amsterdam to the Hook of Holland - this will take 90 minutes. You then sit on a ferry for 7 hours (you have to turn up an hour before as well) before landing in Harwich, about 70 miles north east of London, and getting a train into the city. The boat gets in at 8am so you'll hit rush hour and won't get a seat.

You'll pay about £9 for a meal on the ferry which will consist of a few spoonfuls of re-heated "curry" and some rice. A beer will cost about £3.

The ferries are really nice though!

Take a night ferry, it'll have you in amsterdam by 1100, I've done it before an it isn't bad, the beds are decent.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Sand Monster posted:

A few Eurail pass questions:

On Rick Steves' web site, it mentions that an adult (26 or older) must purchase a first class ticket. If I look at a regional Eurail pass on the official web site, it gives me the option of purchasing 1st class or 2nd class for an adult pass. If I'm offered that choice, is it worth the savings to take 2nd class or is 1st class substantially more comfortable?

Additionally, are there any web sites where I can find the approximate travel times for train travel, as well as what stops there are along the way between major destinations? The Eurail web site just has a map of the major rail lines, as far as I can tell.

I've been debating what the smarter choice is between budget air travel versus a Eurail pass, but it seems like the train might be simplest because all of the budget air lines seem to fly out of airports that are far out of the way. The idea of 6 hour + train trips is a bit unnerving to me but I'm not sure that the hassle of getting to the airport and then flying is enough to offset it. The ideal set up seems like it would be a Eurail pass + budget air travel but I can't imagine that's all that realistic. Anyone have experience making this same decision?

Go to bahn.de, sbb.ch, or any other national train website to find schedules/times. It's never worth purchasing a first class ticket/pass unless you're going to be taking a train that requires it (I think the polish intercity trains, ICE sprinter might be), but in general it's better to get a second class ticket. In most cases a reservation is a very good thing to have for some trains, it's required for others, just go down to the station and make a reservation when you arrive (any ticket counter can help you).

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Chippay posted:

Hey, thanks everyone for the replies about the hostel thing.
I've gotten a few suggestions about just booking a hotel, but all were from people who haven't actually backpacked in years.

About how much are some the cheapest hotels in Europe? I've had figures of 60 euros thrown at me but I'm not really finding those prices on travel sites.
As a sidenote, is 18 old enough to book a hotel in Europe?

Hostels aren't expensive at all, depending what you want. I'm in poland (Krakow) RIGHT NOW (it's too loving hot to be outside so I decided to post). My hostel costs like 20 Euros per night, for a single person room, including breakfast. You can get good hostels for like 5 euros a night here (if you share a room with 11 other people). I'm 19 and travelling solo, 18 should be fine.

That being said, last year I went to the london (with a friend of the same age) and hostels cost like 35 per night for a shared room, no breakfast, and everything was more expensive. Short answer: come to eastern europe, everything is cheaper and just as good as western europe (no it isn't but it's still pretty good, way better than most american cities).

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

freebooter posted:

Is there a ferry from Helsinki across those islands to Sweden? A friend and I are going to be travelling from Moscow to London in October, and going through Scandinavia looks more attractive than going through Eastern Europe.

The helsinki-stockholm ferry (I forget which company) is often a party cruise, full of drunks, especially after football games (if the swedes won and everyone is going back to stockholm, it can get rowdy). It's a pretty good way to get between the 2 cities.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

flyingfoggy posted:

So I'm studying abroad in Dublin until Christmas. My friends and I are going to book our first few getaways very soon. Here is the list of places we want to go, not including trips around Ireland:

Paris
London
Glasgow/Edinburgh (I'm not a huge fan but it'll be a 5 euro flight and my friend has family there)
Italy (I think Rome and Venice?)

Depending on time/money, we have also been throwing around the idea of going to one or two of these places (in no particular order):

Prague
Spain (Barcelona?)
Greece
Budapest
Bratislava
Croatia
Amsterdam
Berlin

This is a huge list and there's no way you can do it all in a meaningful way. Rome takes a hell of a long time to do, as the city is spread out and everything isn't concentrated. Also, almost everywhere you listed is on the euro, so it'll be somewhat expensive.

You won't see any entire country, so I'd probably scratch croatia (flights/logistics is more complicated) as well as spain. You could do any large city in a weekend, it won't be hard. As with any large cities, there's loads of history/buildings/museums, as well as bars/clubs and whatnot. Berlin is still the premier party city in Europe.

If you want some really memorable/cool places there's plenty inside the UK, and your travel costs will be much, much cheaper. There's tons of old cool stuff all around scotland and ireland, and you could easily fill up your time just going around.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

bitmap posted:

:words:

A few things...

Trains in Italy, while relatively cheap (compared to germany/france) are still expensive, especially the IC ones. You can go in to a station and drop 100Euro on a ticket easily, especially a popular route.

If you are in any major city for an event it will be busy as all gently caress, so plan well ahead. Don't show up expecting to be able to walk in and find accommodation anywhere.

Art gets lame, fast. I've seen so drat many major galleries in Europe and North America, and after a while it all meshes together, especially if you're looking at the same stuff over and over (renaissance/medieval art), and is only special if it's something you really, really like/want to see.

You may get tired of travelling, so thing about that.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Grenyarnia posted:

What's the best way to get from Berlin -> wherever Auschwitz is in Poland -> Amsterdam?

Edit: And by best I mean cheapest unless it's definitely worth it for something else.

I've had the joyful experience of polish rail, which is definitely lol. To get to krakow (beautiful city in poland, spend a few days there besides auschwitz) take either a cheap airberlin or whatever flight, or the wawel train (I think they still run it) or take the berlin-warsaw express then go warsaw-krakow. Trains will take forever, when I went gdansk-berlin it took me a whole day (like 12 hours). To get to amsterdam, flights are the best option.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Grenyarnia posted:

Thanks. I figured flights would probably be the best option.

Here's my whole itinerary and was wondering if maybe I shouldn't get the Benelux-Germany Eurail pass and instead do flights and single train tickets.

12/27: Arrive at Brussels early in the morning.
12/29: Berlin
1/3: Krakow
1/5: Amsterdam
1/7: Arrive back to Brussels for returning flight early morning on the 8th.

So do you think it would be best to:

1. Fly from Brussels to Berlin
2. Fly from Berlin to Krakow
3. Fly from Krakow to Amsterdam
4. Train from Amsterdam to Brussels

Also, how far in advance do I need to purchase tickets for the budget airlines? Is it like the US where if you try to book a flight a day or two in advance the fares are exorbitant?

ummmmmm....while I can't make you not do this, I can tell you not to, and hope you listen. Don't do this! Why? you're cramming a lot in, and you could easily spend the time you have in belgium/nederlands and then go to western germany. Going to krakow and berlin will take you all over the continent, it'a like flying into boston and then going down to new orleans. I'd suggest starting in brussels, going amsterdam-cologne-(munich maybe? hamburg?) then to berlin, and catching a flight from there to brussels the day before you leave.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
Anything above 2000m will have metres of snow during the winter, hiking is impossible, but people ski-tour. Look at the SAC website http://www.sac-cas.ch/ for more info on this, and how their huts work (like the other dude said) in the winter (use the huts, they are so much better than a tent, especially because of the fact that weather changes fast). If you're any way skilled at skiing check out the haute route, it's the premier ski tour from chamonix to zermatt.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

pinegala posted:

Cool, so after discussing this with my friend, we've cut it down significantly:

Switzerland for 18-20, and Italy for 21-31st.

Bern and Lauterbrunnen for Swiss, and Venice, Rome, Florence, and Naples for Italy.

As a specific question, how do you reserve seats for eurail passes? The pass is supposed to cover costs for all tickets, but seat reservations can apparently only be made through an agent?

Reservations can be made at most stations, although only often in country for non-IC trains. If you go in the Bern HBF it'll probably be the best place to make reservations, as the swiss agents are all multilingual and know their poo poo. If you go to Lauterbrunnen and take the tram up past murren to the Schilthorn (I think some mediocre move was filmed around there) you can take what is one of the longest ski runs in the world. It's pretty cool.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

1) Ive gotten us Eurail passes but really, how often do you need to pay for reservations? Do the trains ever completely fill up and leave you standing?

-Reservations are cheap, and you can stock up on them. The zurich HBF has a pretty good tourist help area that can get most of this done for you.

2) I plan on taking a night train from zurich to munich and later from munich to prague. How hard is it to get sleep on the trains in regular seating?

-Not pleasant, IMO cheap flights are better, and if you have a rail pass it isn't much more to be upgraded to a bunk. Still not a great sleep.

3) How do the holidays impact travel throughout europe. Is it more crowded? Less crowded?

-Depends where you go, but it is definitely busier. Christmas eve/day are quieter.

4) Anyone have any experience with the "Christmas bazaars" or "Christmas markets" in germany?

-I think Nurnberg has a cool one, Dresden might as well. If you're into the tradtional "christmas" stuff you'll get what you want.

5) How difficult will it be to find good vegetarian food in the cities i listed? I figure Germany will probably be the hardest?

-No trouble with this. Maybe learn what some common dishes are? You're biggest issue in Zurich is price. Everyone who serves you will speak some english. if not, simple phrases like "ist dies Vegetarisch" or "ist dies ohne Fleisch" will help.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

scr0llwheel posted:

I just started planning for my trip next summer. Right now, we're allotting ~2 weeks and trying to narrow down where to go. Our interests are:

Bruges (already did Brussels)
Amsterdam/Haarlem
Germany: Black Forest, Bavaria, Berlin
Salzburg

(Let me be clear: we're in no way attempting to do all of this in two weeks)

Right now, we're thinking of flying into Amsterdam, working our way west (plane/trains and possibly driving), and flying out of Berlin. I've come up with this (possibly stupid) idea because flying into Frankfurt looks drat expensive while Amsterdam and Berlin are much cheaper.

We're mostly interested in museums, castles, old cities, hiking, and possibly some WWII history. We don't care about clubbing/drinking. What would a reasonable itinerary look like for our timeframe? What should we focus on?

yeah you can do bruges in like a day or two, maybe more if you want to drive around a bit, salzburg is like 2 or 3, but 3 would be a bit boring unless you wanted to go to little towns around there (there's not much though), you can get there easily from munich by train or bus or car, you could drive down in the morning from munich, look around, stay a night, look around the next day and drive back to munich in the late afternoon. Bavaria depends what you want to see, the little towns are cute and charming, munich is really great, I guess nürnberg is ok as well, maybe ingolstadt or something. Like 3 days-ish for munich, leave 4 for berlin, there's a hell of a lot there, as well as out in wannsee and potsdam.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Cometa Rossa posted:

Would I be safe (in Berlin, in May) not booking a hostel and just showing up the day of expecting there to be free beds? It's a pretty large building. How necessary would you guys say reservations are?

If you want to stay somewhere specific (it kinda sounds like you do) you should book in advance, otherwise you'll have no trouble finding somewhere to stay in berlin, it's a massive city with a lot of accommodation.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

GregNorc posted:

Also, is there a way to get an open ended return ticket? My plan was to do London for a couple days, then Paris for a couple days, then just sort of bum around in Zürich as long as my money lasts.

unless you have lots of money don't do this, zürich is pretty boring and very expensive

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm planning on taking a trip to Italy, Austria and maybe Croatia or Slovakia in August. The stereotype of European clubs is that it is mostly Techno. Is that true? If so does anybody know a good way to learn to dance to techno music? Here it is pretty much all hip-hop and occasionally some Lady Gaga or Ke$ha so I have no idea. Techno sounds a lot more danceable though.

It's basically the same top40 from the last 2 years that everyone in north america plays in your average club, you have to go to a themed place for it to be different usually

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Haha, ok thanks. I'll just keep an eye on what everyone else is doing first.

Anyway does anyone have any strong feelings about travelling to Croatia vs Slovenia vs Slovakia vs Hungary? I really know very little about any of those countries but I am definitely interested in hitting one or more of them. Are they cheaper than say Italy or France? I've talked to people who traveled and they said they found hostels for $7-$15, which sounds cheaper than what I heard quoted for most of Europe, so I figured I could extend my stay a little by going there.

Slovenia is pretty similar to austria/north italy in terms of outdoor things to do, there's a lot of hiking trails, huts to sleep at and mountain biking that's gotten really huge. The country also has autobahns now, so it's pretty easy to get around.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

MentosMan posted:

Can someone help explain to me the reservation system when using the Euro-Rail pass? My group and I bought 5-country passes, but apparently we need to also make separate reservations for each leg of our multi-country journey. Where do we go to make these reservations? Do we need to make them pretty far in advance, or is it something you can do at the station before leaving?

Depending on the route it can be a good idea, certain trains between major cities fill up fast, especially on weekends/holidays. If you're using eurail and by extension the expensive trains like TGV and ICE, you'll want a reservation. Just go to the ticket office in the station where you're starting, they can usually set you up for at least part of the way.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
if you want trains I'd do this

It really depends what you want to see, and if you have a specific connection to any of those places.

I'd do an itinerary like this:

fly into frankfurt
- maybe spend time here, afaik it's just the cheapest flight hub

train to berlin
-take the super express ICE (DB calls it something different than a normal ICE), it's the fastest way between the 2 cities
-Museum Insel, which is awesome
-Cool city in general

train to warsaw
-capital of poland
-cool enough old town
-some neat buildings
-treblinka memorial

train to krakow
-Probably the nicest city in poland
-the wawel, a massive citadel with a cathedral and palace
-nice, scenic old town
-nifty salt mines, worth half a day if you have it
-Auschwitz, probably among the weirdest places I've ever been

train to prague
-Cool castle
-lots of bars/partying
-lots to see around the old/new town areas
-nice cathedral

train to munich
-really nice city, amazing park (englischer garten)
-deutches museum, BMW welt, other poo poo
-various beergartens and beerkellers around the city, the am platz ones (hofbrauhaus) are very popular with tourists, in the summer the chinesischer turm in the park is really great
-dachau concentration camp

train back to frankfurt to fly out

This is a pretty basic itinerary of what I'd say to do, I suppose you could easily add more on, cities in poland that you could do are breslau and danzig (these have different names in polish/english, idgaf. You can also do a daytrip or small excursion to slazburg from munich if you want to see the mozart poo poo or another neat fort/castle

people here can say what they think of this, the notable feature is that the trains work well between these cities

Landsknecht fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 24, 2011

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
-What's the best way to meet/befriend locals? I know a bit of German and Spanish from studying them in high school/college, and I'd definitely want to learn a bit of Czech and maybe Catalan if necessary (I pick up languages fairly easily). How/where do you approach people just out of the blue without seeming really weird ("Hi, wanna be frieeeeeeeeeeeeeeends??????")

This won't happen in germany or in any scandinavian country really. I mean people are nice and stuff, but you won't become friends with any people really. It's just not the way people really are, friends are usually someone who you know really well and know a lot about, and it's hard to break into these circles unless you spend an extended amount of time together.

-Approximately what should I be budgeting for such a trip? Any budget advice beyond the usual cheap hostels/grocery food/couchsurfing/don't drink or eat out a lot advice?

Put down $100 per day, that will cover you in all major, expensive cities easily, it might only cost you 50 per day in prague or even berlin if you get cheap accommodation. Like attractions are fairly cheap everywhere you want to go, and food can be easy if you have access to cooking equipment and a grocery store. Oslo will be loving expensive though, as is most of urban scandinavia.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

sheri posted:

Well, I have no idea where to start planning itineraries for a trip like this, so anyone that wanted to chime in with help, that would be great.

What should we do/see in the following cities:

London: We will have three full days, plus the day we arrive there.

Amsterdam: 2 days

Bruges/Brussels 2-3 days

Paris: 3.5 days (three full days, plus 1/2 day when we get there).

Paris and London we are for sure staying that length of time in each. We can shift time around in Amsterdam and Belgium if needed.

Ummm maybe I'd knock a day off the belgium portion and go to somewhere nearby london (york?) for a day, brugge+bruselles only need 1 day each, not much there

Stuff to see:

London: Tower, Westminster Abbey, St. Pauls, British Museum (takes at least 1 day), Some other museums (there are a shitload), Buckingham palace, maybe walk around hyde park, there's other stuff too, depends what you're into

Amsterdam: Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank house (if you feel like it), Van Gogh Museum, walk around old town near canals, go out for mussels if it's the right time

Brussels: Really don't know what to suggest, city is kinda nice, has some parks, there's the EU parliament and a nice car museum

Brugge: OK town, all tourists, decent enough church, nice old buildings, I don't honestly know what other than that

Paris: Louvre, Notre Dame, Versailles, Orsay, Spend a fair amount of time walking around different areas looking at poo poo

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
travelling at christmastime can be a loving nightmare, I don't know about france/italy (I actually assume it's worse there) but in germany the autobahn is packed, the trains schedules get hosed and everything's delayed, and god forbid that there might be some medium snowfall because then everything is even worse

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

goldboilermark posted:

Is there a general consensus on WizzAir?

IMO they're pretty drat terrible, if you feel like paying an extra 20 euro or w/e go with someone like air berlin who is usually p. decent

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

windwaker posted:

Assuming that you aren't being sarcastic-- why is this?

Eastern european girls will gently caress you and then get super clingy since they want to go to the EU/US/Canada and have a better life

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Fiskenbob posted:

I was being sarcastic. Sure, they might find you interesting, but don't go traveling through Eastern European countries (especially the EU ones) with your cock hanging out, expecting every girl to stop what they're doing to suck your dick. That might have been the case in the nineties, when you could travel all the way from Berlin to Moscow for a pack of Marlboros, but things have changed, even though many Americans seem to cling to the fantasy.

I don't think any of the eastern euros I've met have ever found americans really more interesting than lots of western euros. There's usually some surprise when you talk about financial matters (ie: holy poo poo you guys have that much money?!?!?!) but not much about anything else. Also, a lot of western euros find north americans (especially americans from the south/midwest) interesting in the sense of "what the gently caress what's with the massive cars/guns/lovely food/being fat?" but there's really not a lot of difference anymore between North west Europe and Canada/the US.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Fiskenbob posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong. Being from Western Europe myself, I know what you mean. What I was trying to articulate was that they might find an American (or any foreigner) more interesting than the local dudes they usually talk to, but only in the sense that you're a foreigner, and most people find foreigners somewhat interesting to talk to.

Knowing a lot of eastern euro guys this is 100% true, a lot of what they talk about is just going to clubs/getting wasted/football (which isn't much better than west euros, come to think of it), so a foreigner who has traveled around from somewhere else is fairly interesting to the girls.

TBH though it's usually pretty hard to have anything more significant than chitchat with the locals if you're only in a place for <5 days, some locals really take to talking with people but the majority don't really. Europeans just seem to appreciate being left alone a hell of a lot more than americans (especially in scandinavia), and it's pretty common to get a "WTF are you doing" look if you start to talk to someone when you don't have a question to ask/something important to talk about.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

mA posted:

Could someone clarify passport requirements for traveling to Spain with a US Passport? I'm scheduled to travel to Spain at the end of November for 2 weeks. I'm an idiot and I just realized that my passport expires fairly soon - next March 2012. I've been reading things online that say your passport must have an expiration date either 3 or even 6 months ahead of the departure date. Would I be denied entry after I get there?

You shouldn't really have an problems, they usually just look at your passport and throw a stamp on it. As an american you're allowed to be in the EU for 3 months, if you try and do anything after that and they check your passport and see that you're over the time limit they get pissed.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Istrian posted:

I would strongly reccomend staying in Switzerland and for example day trip to Luzerne and take a boat on the lake or go up on mount Pilatus. Also just go anywhere in the Swiss Alps.

You can probably get some kinda deal at the HBF travel center to get a ticket up to the Jungfrau for a day, you can have lots of fun seeing all the poo poo up there. Even though it's pretty drat touristy it's really beautiful (the whole Lauterbrunnen valley owns).

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Cacator posted:

I should've mentioned that we'll already have spent a couple days in the Interlakken/Luzerne area before heading to Zurich, including seeing the alps.

Although adding to that, we'll probably go to Jungfrau but as a James Bond fan I'd love to see the Piz Gloria. Could probably do both, but what's better?

It's called the Schilthorn now I think, you can take a gondola/series of gondolas up from Lauterbrunnen, it's on the other side of the valley from the Jungfrau. If you have the time I'd really recommend it too, but IMO the Jungfrau is better if you only have one to do.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Thank you both for the valuable advice!

I am somewhat ignorant of SIM cards. It appears that I could buy an unlocked GSM phone now, on eBay, and then buy a SIM card when I arrive in Switzerland...that will have an assigned number? And minutes? Or are these options when buying a card?

Sorry if this is a derail, but it is really the only thing I'm truly flummoxed about. :)

(edit) yeah, looks like I could also buy a SIM card for about $70 that would be good in CH, so I could have a phone ready to go before I land. Not sure it would work in France, though...maybe buy another SIM card there?

I don't know about switzerland but in Germany you can just buy a SIM card for 10 euro (with 10 euro of credit on it) that you activate online and it has a number already. If you're paying for the SIM card you're doing it wrong, most carriers only charge the cost of the initial credit.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
Tapwater all over Northern Europe is safer and better than tapwater anywhere else in the world. Especially Scandinavia. The stuff that comes out of the taps in Norway could be bottled and sold at $10 per litre in the US probably. It's great all over France and the UK as well, and unless you're in a small village it's fine in Southern Italy/Greece/Eastern Europe.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'm going to be on study abroad in Salzburg next semester; is there anything I should know for the stay there?

If you're going for the sommersemester try and head out a bit early, all the big ski areas (including Saalbach near Salzburg) start having big parties and cheaper skiing around this time, which owns

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Saladman posted:

E: Last thing about grocery stores. While Lidl and Aldi are where hopes go to die, they do sell decent quality meat at half the price of other stores. Be warned that the vegetables/fruits they sell immediately convert from "unripe" to "overripe" through some sort of magic, never passing through a state of being edible.

Aldi/Lidl sell the same things under different names for a better price so you should always shop there :deutschland:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Farecoal posted:

How expensive would a week-long trip to Italy (around Rome) probably be for a family of five from the U.S., assuming they stay in mid-range hotels?

Kind of tricky to say, you're biggest expense will be airfare though. Budget 200€ per night for a decent hotel (you'll probably not pay this but Italy in high season is pricey), and then another 40-50€ per day per person for food and transport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Bum the Sad posted:

Planning on spending a couple weeks in Italy and don't fee like taking a guided tour. What's the feasibility of just taking a train from let's say Rome to Florence and just finding a hotel? Does Lonely planet have hotels listed and their locations?

just go on tripadvisor and find the top rated ones within your pricerange and book them online or whatever. You can take trains everywhere as most of the stations are centrally located.