Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

bee posted:

Italian Island of Capri: overrated tourist trap or charming day trip? Goonpinions gratefully received.

Like almost everything in Italy, it's a little of both. If you can go on a quite, sunny day with calm seas and get into the grotto then it is a brilliant day out. I would say that if you are in the area then you should go, but if it's the middle of August expect it to be rammed.

And it will be expensive any time of year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

baw posted:

Quick question regarding passport expiration.

I'll be going to Italy on January 23rd until March 26th. My passport expires on July 19th. From what I've read this shouldn't be a problem, especially since it's more than three months after I return, but I can't find any official sources saying that. Called the airlines and they said it should be alright but I'd like a little more assurance than "should be alright."

I could only find this on a US gov website but you will be fine, don't worry.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_4361.html

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Sauterne posted:

Thank you for that information, that's really helpful! Do you know of any bus companies that do Paris to Marseille that I could look into? When I try googling it, all I seem to get is information about the TGV.

Eurolines is the site you need for bus travel. I only had a quick look but it looks like you would need to do something like Paris - Lyon - Marseille. But honestly, the train would be an awful lot quicker and more comfortable.

Edit: You can even do Oslo - Paris for the low low price of €240 :v:

Stupid Decisions fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 11, 2012

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Cervixalot posted:

Otherwise, can anyone recommend island/tropical/beach destinations in Europe? We're doing some research to figure out our plans (i've got relatives in Saint-Tropez, so we may do something along those lines).

Cant answer the questions about Greece but Elba is a beautiful little island that is ofter over looked by English speaking tourists. It's only 12 miles from the Tuscan mainland so it's easy to incorporate it into any of the Tuscan cities.

High season will be over in September so things will be a bit quieter.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Dog on Fire posted:

This might be a bit of a silly question, but what about that bedbug situation in Paris right now? Has there been a noticable raise or does it seem to be on the same level as it's always been in Paris? We're travelling to Paris next weekend and it's impossible to gauge from the media what to really expect.

Also the raised counter-terrorism alert level in France: business as usual or "Yeah it's definitely a bit more wild out there right now"?

We're travelling with a small kid so I guess I'm trying to measure how possible it is that we're sticking our noses where there's constant fumigation going on (health aspect) and where we need to evacuate from every second building because of a yet another bomb threat etc.

The bed bug situation is probably impossible to know but with potential bad media coverage for hotels I would expect them to be upping their game on checks and inspections at the moment. I wouldn't worry about the fumigation aspect too much either, bed bug treatment can take days, often requiring the rooms to emptied and in some cases furniture to be taken apart. It's not a quick spray around 15 minuites before someone checks in.
But even with that I would always recommend having a quick check for any signs of bed bugs in any hotel you stay in, Paris or anywhere else. I have 10+ years working in hospitality management and they are a massive pain to get rid of and something you absolutley do not want to take back home.

Jack Flint posted:

Heading to Edinburgh for a week - unfortunately have to work a couple of those days. Any recommendations for laptop friendly cafes that are somewhat centrally located?

Not sure how laptop friendly they are but both Rocksalt Cafe and Scott's Kithen do great breakfasts.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Larry Cum Free posted:

Looking for a second city to do in a trip to Paris April 10-30. Somewhere ~3 hours or less by train or plane to spend 6-7 days.

Places that I have never been to: Madrid, Milan, Florence, Zurich, Bruges, Prague

Places I have already been and am not looking to go back to on this trip: Barcelona, Amsterdam, Nice, Avignon, Rome, Vienna, Munich, London, Lisbon, Porto

If anyone has a strong recommendation for any on or off my list I would like to hear it!

Bordeaux? 2hr train from Paris.

Option to add in an over night trip to San Sebastian or Biarritz depending on what you enjoy.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I'd like to dip into Cadiz and Gibraltar but we'll see.

Cadiz is nice but for me Seville is really a top tier visit with a lot more to offer.

Maybe because I'm British but Gibraltar is somewhere I struggle to recommend to anyone. The town is just like any large English town with nothing particular worth seeing (especially if driving from Portugal).

You could easily spend three weeks in Portugal but if you do decide to drive to Spain then double check your car rental allows it. Most do but the last thing you want is to get a flat tyre or breakdown and find out your insurance wont cover it.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Mushroom Zingdom posted:

Next week I’m going on a little tour of Milan, Turin, Genoa, Florence (each 1-2 nights), a weekend in Bologna, then a few days in Bergamo. Any advice on those cities or cool things to see there? I’m particularly excited to stuff my face in Bologna, open to suggestions for mind blowing food there. Thank you all!

Too long since I last visited Bologna for any specific recommendations but ITV in the UK just showed Big Zuu's 12 Dishes in 12 Hours and the first episode was Bologna. Absolutely recommend watching for some inspiration.

It is geo locked to the UK but my wife has no issues using a VPN to watch when she is abroad visiting family.

Enjoy your trip, Florence and Bologna especially are two all time great cities.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Petanque posted:

On the topic of Italy, I recently booked a trip for mid-October, getting a steep discount on business class seats (just under twice the price of economy!). I'll be there for two weeks, planning to spend half my time and Rome and the other half out of Florence. My question is about the latter; I had plans on going to other towns in Tuscany while I was there, but I don't drive and would need to take buses/trains to get around. I have Siena/Lucca on places to consider, any other suggestions on where to go for someone based in Florence with no car?

San Gimignano to pretend you are in Aassains Creed II (also a beautiful small walled town).

Cinque Terra. Five towns on the coast but is a little further so maybe an overnight stop from Florence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Omne posted:

Hit me with what I need to know about London and either Munich or Amsterdam in late November/early December. We want to see some Christmas markets, and will be meeting up with my dad for about a week in London and then spending 3 days or so in another city.

Unless you are staying very close to one of the London airports then take the train if doing London - Amsterdam . 4 hours city centre to city centre.