Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Renting an apartment for a few days in Amsterdam will be ridiculously expensive. Have you looked at the neighbouring cities (Haarlem, Leiden, or Zaandam, for example) to see whether they have some remaining spots. Sure, they're about half an hour away by train, but at least you'll have a place to stay...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I was told on a tour that mushrooms are illegal but truffles aren't, or something like that. It's all on a technicality.

IIRC dried mushrooms are illegal, the rest isn't.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm going to Helsinki for four days in late February, is there anything relatively unknown in the area which I absolutely should not miss?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

pigdog posted:

Helsinki is a nice place, but frankly, rather boring as a tourist destination. Hop over to Tallinn for a day or two, it's just a 2 hour ferry ride away. You don't need a visa (if you needed one for Finland then it will work thanks Schengen rules) or even change the currency as of this year.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I heard there's even helicopter rides from Helsinki to Tallinn, and since I've never been in one I'm definitely going to check that out.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Omits-Bagels posted:

I know there is a bar in Brussels that has like 2000 beers.

[EDIT] http://www.deliriumcafe.be/

There's also Het Waterhuis aan de Bierkant in Ghent. I thought the atmosphere was a lot better there.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Stayokay is generally pretty cheap, especially if you're booking for a longer time. If you're willing to share a room with drunken British students, of course.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Skam posted:

they want 36€ a night for this weekend :(

drat. You could always try Haarlem, it's €52,50 for a weekend and is only a train ride away (€7,40 for a 1-day return ticket). Else couchsurfing is your best bet, I know there's a pretty active couchsurfing community in the Netherlands.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Railpass holders may ride Thalys trains, provided that their railpass covers the entire ride. Eurail, Europass, and Eurail Select passes (covering the entire ride) are valid. Belgian, Holland, France, and Germany Single-Country Passes are not valid.

Pass holders must pay a 15 Euro railpass-holder reservation fee to ride Thalys trains. Several travelers have reported difficulty making this special type of reservation, as seats in this catagory often sell out. Make your Thalys reservations early in your trip to avoid this problem. You can specify that you accept "Standby Seating" - which gets you on train, but does not guarentee you a seat.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Desdinova posted:

Any goons in Rotterdam fancy meeting up I'm with 2 girls and we're looking for somewhere chill to drink and smoke, preferably with 'good' music - no hard house please :) Suggestions welcome too.

I can't meet up but anything around the Nieuwe Binnenweg / Witte de Withstraat is decent.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Desdinova posted:

Oh, and if anyone knows anywhere to rent cheap in Rotterdam or the surrounding area I would love some help. I don't mind sharing, I just need a roof and hopefully a mattress. People have mentioned rents from about 250 euros a month which would be awesome. Plus I've received so much help from random people offering me their couch that I have a lot to repay, so any goons in need in the area (from Thursday) let me know :)

Look up "anti-kraak". Basically you will be put in a building / house for a relatively short time (depends, some of my friends have been in there for nearly a year) to prevent squatting. It's extremely cheap though you don't nearly have as many rights as you would have if you're actually renting something.

Good luck though, I've been looking at a cheap place to move out to for about 1.5 years now.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

A few days ago they stopped doing this between the Netherlands and Germany / Belgium. Was ruled illegal, because of Schengen. It's effectively an internal border control.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Two days, tops.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

How much luggage are you bringing with you? How much do you value your sleep? If the answer to both is not much, then Eurolines is for you. The bus stops in the middle of London, which is pretty sweet.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

There's a direct line from Amsterdam to Antwerp. From there you can go to Ghent and then Bruges. Those three are the most recommended bits of Belgium I've seen, besides Brussels (which really isn't that great).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You would be missing out on a great travel experience by taking the ferry. 15 hours is a long time, everything on the ferry is overpriced and there is nothing to do besides getting drunk.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Pieces posted:

I used Offmaps (http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/offmaps/id313854422?mt=8) a bunch last year for 15+ cities in Europe and it worked okay for me. You can download map data from home, but more ideally just hit up a cafe and mooch their wifi to download anything you need.

Basically you can download map data (higher resolution requires more downloading ofc) and use it + your GPS without actually having wifi / Data. Works like your google maps in map-view (i.e. no satellite data).

I purchased a couple of map packs with it but I never found them to be very useful.

Google Maps has the same feature now (you have to enable it in Labs). I think it even caches satellite view.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

NoArmedMan posted:

I just checked Labs and I can't see it at all. Any idea what it's called?

Disregard my post, it's just for Android.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Farecoal posted:

Is it true that water systems (tap water) in most of Europe are really bad? Like so bad people in France usually drink wine over water? It doesn't true to me but I heard it from family members.

All I know is that you stay the gently caress away from Spanish / Greek tap water. The rest is fine, afaik.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

NoArmedMan posted:

Spain was fine and safe when I was there.

I had no problems at all anywhere in Europe with tap water.

Maybe it's just paranoia from the past. Five years ago it didn't end well, didn't want to risk it last week.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Saladman posted:

Also they changed their laws Jan 1, 2012, so weed tourism is no longer an option for tourists (locals only).

What? No.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

With a layover I'm seeing prices between $765 and $920. Air Lingus has some good prices, check them out.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Taking the train from Amsterdam to Berlin is not exactly a short trip, nor is it on a high-speed train. If you just have carry-on luggage I'd fly there.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Saladman posted:

GPS does not count towards data plan, so you should be good (just Maps won't work). You'll want to turn off your dataplan though, as a precaution!

On Android you can cache the maps and Maps will still work, you just won't be able to find anything (but at least you'll have a nice map). Not sure if this works on iOS.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

PT6A posted:

Is there a way to get a data-only prepaid SIM card? I have an unlocked Samsung that doesn't need to respond to my usual number for the week I'm in Europe, it would be nice to have full data capabilities for not too much money.

Vodafone offers a decent pre-paid data plan. It's €7,50 for the SIM card (which includes 35MB data). There's a 300MB package for €10, 700MB for €20 and 2000MB for €50. The packages don't include roaming costs but Vodafone pretty much offers the same package in every country.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

HookShot posted:

BA is part of OneWorld, so you can use your points to book flights on any OW airlines that fly to Europe. You will book through BA, but your actual flight will be on a different airline. I did this with my Qantas points to book a flight with JAL.

Looks like your options for European airlines include:

- Air Berlin
- American Airlines (I'm assuming you're American)
- Finnair
- Iberia
- Aer Lingus
- Alitalia

Personally, I'd try flying to Paris and take the train to Aachen, then a regional train to Julich.

Try booking a flight to the cities these airlines fly to, and chances are it'll give you their flights. Or you can call them. I had to call Qantas to book my JAL flight because it didn't show up on the online search.
Alitalia is SkyTeam and not OneWorld. And yeah easier to just call.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Exactly the same? It's not like we have separate hospitals for foreigners.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bahn.de is pretty much the best.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Which countries are you visiting? There are a few providers in Europe focused on cheap international calls (prepaid).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Do you realize how large the distance between those cities is? No way there's a direct line. Try going via Munich.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If you want to stay in a hostel in Amsterdam, look at the neighbouring cities. Haarlem, Leiden, Utrecht, all pretty close to Amsterdam (Leiden and Utrecht will have trains going there at night as well) and there's a lot less people staying there.

(and Utrecht is a much nicer city anyway, definitely check it out)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You either switch to a ferry or get on a freight train through the tunnel. You will not be able to sleep all the way there due to UK Customs.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ProSlayer posted:

I have 4 weeks starting from the beginning of May to go to Europe. Here is my itinerary so far.

Barcelona 13-May 17-May

Paris 17-May 21-May

London 21-May 25-May

Brussels 25-May 27-May

Amsterdam 27-May 30-May

Berlin 30-May 1-Jun

Prague 1-Jun 4-Jun

Munich 4-Jun 9-Jun

Any thoughts? I'm extremely flexible on where to visit and for how long. I'm not really inclined to visit Italy; I feel like that would warrant a separate trip. I'm planning on traveling by the Eurorail. Also, going through the last ten pages, I haven't read much about hostel reviews. If you have any awesome / horror stories for hostels in these areas, please post them.

If you can, cut down on Munich and add days to Berlin. Plan your train trips on bahn.de.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BCN to Barcelona centre takes about 25m. GRO to Barcelona centre takes about 1h30m. Keep in mind that Vueling's aircraft are a bit more comfortable, and don't forget the luggage charges etc. Most of the time you can get a ~90 euro flight from VCE to BCN with Iberia or Vueling (at 10PM). BCN will still have buses going (hell I went there at 4AM and it was still open).

vanity slug fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 10, 2013

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I had a good time hiking to Montserrat. Just take the train there and head up, great views and the monastery is pretty cool.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Switzerland is a nation of racists, scientists and Milka cows. Germany is nothing like it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Mr.AARP posted:

I'm a bit confused about where to buy individual train tickets. Next month, I'm planning on taking the train from:

London to Paris
Paris to Amsterdam
Prague to Berlin

If anyone has a site that would explain this that would be great!

Your answer to all three is Bahn.de.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's more like three hours.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Frankfurt is a major hub, especially for Asian flights. You could also check out Munich for good flights.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ghent is awesome but you can do it in two days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

In Amsterdam all movies are English with Dutch subtitles, in Germany I have no idea. But generally the movie title will be translated as well if it's a foreign movie.

Get a nice loveseat with your wife at Tuschinsky in Amsterdam, it's a nice experience (and the cinema is awesome).