Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

aga. posted:

Gdansk (I'm hoping there's some sunlight left in early September)

It ought to be all right, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Saros posted:

Check out Polski bus, they are extremely cheap for getting around Poland and generally hardly slower than the trains.

Yea, they even have a connection from Prague to Gdansk/Warsaw (though not directly to Krakow, you'd have to change buses at Wroclaw)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Brinner posted:

I'm planning a winter trip of europe, starting around september. Usual backpacking things. Cheapskate. How likely will I be able to wing hostels and transport on the fly/what are the chances of me ending up freezing to death in a hungarian park witha bunch of refugees?
So far you've managed to narrow down your trip to a continent and no actual timeline, I'm sure you can do better.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

armorer posted:

Will I have trouble watching netflix, listening to spotify, or playing games on steam in Warsaw, PL (since normally I'm in the US)? I can set steam to offline mode easily enough, and I can download some playlists on Spotify. I know all of these companies have a global presence but I don't know if they'll take issue with my drastically different location and think I've been hacked or something.

The Netflix lineup is fine in Poland, though there isn't a 100% overlap. Check https://unogs.com/ I guess if you absolutely must know if a show is available here. And Netflix/Spotify don't seem to care when I'm teleporting around the world behind a VPN, so it seems to me like actual travel will be ignored with even more prejudice.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

It's like a 30km sidehop from the expressway, but there's the Teutonic castle in Malbork to see: https://pomorskie.travel/en_GB/-/zamek-krzyzacki-w-malborku

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Is Revolut available to get in the US? A lot of my friends/family have been using it and converted money on the go.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah it's pretty cool and good. Also you can send payment requests/transfers to people in your (phone) contact list with basically no delay.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I couldn't figure out from your post - do you plan to keep your current job and work remotely while switching countries? You might want to check in with your employer, tax stuff and different worker laws might not really allow for that.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/FRA/7002

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Saladman posted:

Malta's nice, I spent 5 days there in early December a few years ago. You could probably spend a week there without getting bored. 10 days would probably be pushing it.

Eh I spent 2 weeks there this September, had a very nice and chill time without getting bored or anything.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Bollock Monkey posted:

Malta is sounding really interesting. How was driving around? Proximity to Italy makes me anxious about road etiquette!

If you're staying nearish Valetta, then you can also consider just using the buses - no need to worry about parking or narrow streets. The lines radiating outwards of the capital region should carry you to basically anywhere you'd want to sightsee. Also there's a new direct water tram from Valletta to Gozo that takes 45 minutes (pedestrians only, no cars on board). The ticket costs 21€ if you're staying for a week (the water tram route isn't included though).

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Saladman posted:

"have to go to the embassy and give a DNA sample and leave your passport with some dude for four weeks" like going to China or Congo or whatever.

Eh, similar process for getting the B1/B2 visa to the US a few years ago (not sure how it works now +no longer need it), minus the DNA part.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Saladman posted:

So I guess there are some people who like really slow travel.

Yeah, I spent 2 weeks on Malta and I still missed out a couple of things on Gozo. I'd usually have a general destination picked for a day and just walk around/spend time there without having to worry about rushing to catch a bus to the next POI.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

It seems like you'll be spending half of your vacation days moving between places, checking in and out; which doesn't seem ideal??

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

For Valetta either the Fort St Elmo with the 2nd World War Museum, or Fort St Angelo + Malta at War Museum (these two are on the other side of the harbour) can be cool. St. John's Cathedral was also impressive. I think I'd recommend a daytrip to Mdina to see the Roman house, the Fortress and Catacombs (I also see that there's an Aviation Museum nearby that I missed out on). The buses felt good enough to go around, just buy a weekly ticket/card (https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/explore-card).

EDIT: Also the Tallinja app was more accurate for bus routes/stops than Google maps, so probably use that.
EDIT2: For getting to Gozo, there's a quick (45 minutes) ferry from Valletta (https://gozofastferry.com/) , so you don't have to get all the way to the western part of the main island.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 13, 2022

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Bollock Monkey posted:

I've also been searching through the thread and it seems like the consensus is that the public transport sucks a lot. Is that still the case? Google Maps makes it seem like there are enough buses to get from e.g. Valetta to Ħaġar Qim in about 45mins - 1h or to Mdina in 30mins depending on the time of day but is this a lie? I know Maps and public transport outside major cities is not always the best for accuracy.

I don't recall them being massively late or anything. I'd just recommend using the Tallinja app instead of Google maps - the latter wasn't quite up to date with the timetable, plus with the Maltese app it was easier to figure out which exact stop to go to at the Valetta terminus (there's like 20, each one handling 2 or 3 lines).

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I was on a mission to find the best dessert last time I was in Rome, so here was my finding: San pietrino al cioccolatto in
https://maps.app.goo.gl/CXwf7n946qLH893z5

In general I was recommended to look around Campo de Fiori and Trastevere for food, so I guess I'm passing it along.

I really enjoyed just chilling in the Villa Borghese, nice big park with art museum to jump into (and also zoo).
I'd recommend an afternoon in Ostia antica (it takes a few hours to walk around it all).

It takes quite a while (few hours) to walk around the Forum, so keep it in mind if you're booking Colosseum on the same day.
Other than that, it depends on how much time you have and how many museums you want to get to - the Capitoline museum is cool and you've got the Piazza Venezia right next to it for another afternoon to spend in.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

For staying in Rome I'd recommend something within walking distance of a metro station if possible. Buses technically exist, but gently caress if I know what the timetable is for them.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Hadlock posted:

The UK is instituting some "visa but not a visa" with minimum 48 hour turn around time, AND a $8 fee? Even for US and EU citizens?

Well gently caress you then, there's nothing left I need to see there that's worth going through that hassle. I'll take my tourist dollars elsewhere. I'm not sure who in immigration is working overtime to gently caress up your economy so bad over there, but I have zero interest in visiting countries that can't handle basic tasks like visa on arrival.

This, uh, sure is a take coming from a country with a $160 fee for an interview for a visitor visa that you need to get to a consulate for.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

When buying an eSIM for USA last year, I used Nomad and it worked fine - there seems to be a plan that includes Switzerland, so maybe that's another option to compare prices/comments.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

If you do both Colosseum and Forum on the same day, make sure to either book Colosseum in the morning or very late-ish in the afternoon. It takes a while to get around both the Forum and Palatine Hill (especially since you'll probably be taking more breaks in the middle of the summer). I also grabbed the Roma Pass last year for the combo with public transportation - there's a booth not too far from the Forum.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Sure you can, you will most likely have to pay extra fees though.

Edit: I meant ATMs here.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

The points you brought up are exactly why I like them, just buy the tickets in the app and uninstall when you're done, what's the bad part of that? It's more convenient than searching for the ticket office/machine.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I'm certain that this is covered somewhere in the thread, but I'm going to Florence for a week in August (gently caress me it'll be hot, this wasn't my idea) and I'm looking for any suggestions for places to eat or things I absolutely *must* do. So far I've made a map and I'm including most of the really popular stuff - Uffizi, Duomo, Boboli Gardens - and I will make a reservation time in the morning for the most popular places. Any thoughts on what other sights I should see, or what things I absolutely must eat? I have a few restaurant suggestions as well, and I took note of some bars and the only brewery I saw in downtown Florence. I also might have time for a day trip, if anyone has strong feelings about that. I was booked for a daytrip to Cinque Terra, but that's the only place I have covered so far...

....gently caress it's going to be hot.

I recommend taking a day trip to Lucca and walk around the walled part of the city, it's an hour long train drive one way and it's a very nice and chill.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

You can also search before you get into the car and then use the search history.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Chikimiki posted:

Hi guys! With my partner we're looking into spending about a week at the baltic coast of Poland, around Gdasnk. Have any goons already been there, anything specific to recommend? I saw that there is the Malbork castle and the Słowiński national park nearby, are they worth it?
We're from France, and we do like a bit of everything, be it historic sites, nature, sports, bars, bar & club scene... But not if it is too crowded or too expensive. Kinda generic I know, but I hope that helps a bit :v:

Thank you!

Yea you can take a train to Malbork (about an hour one way with the cheapest option, it's like 30 minutes by car). Other than that you've got Park Oliwski, Old Town, Museum of Solidarity, WW2 museum, maybe Westerplatte. If you're into hiking in the forests you can take a look around the western part of the city (you can start around here. You can also check out some ships like Dar Pomorza and the destroyer Blyskawica in Gdynia.

Edit: Also when it comes to clubbing, back at my old workplace we liked going from some cherry liquor, some shots and then karaoke (though I think that's on Thursdays only at this particular place), maybe something to consider :v:

mmkay fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 8, 2023

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Yea, you can do that with a rented bike potentially too (don't ask me where's a good place to rent though), there's a nice bike+pedestrian path by the sea (it's like a 30-40 minute ride, also you can also cycle to say Sobieszewska Island, it's a bit longer though)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Qubee posted:

code:
---------------------------------------------------------
                      TRIP ITINERARY
                Rome, Naples & Amalfi Adventure

**Day 1: Arrival in Rome**
- Arrival at FCO airport at 11:50pm.
- Head straight to your accommodation and rest for the night.

**Day 2: Exploring Rome**
- Morning: Breakfast at your Rome accommodation.
- Visit the Colosseum and Roman Forum.
- Afternoon: Explore the Pantheon and Piazza Navona.
- Evening: Visit the Trevi Fountain and have dinner at a nearby restaurant.

**Day 3: Vatican and Trastevere**
- Morning: Explore the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel.
- Afternoon: Visit St. Peter's Basilica and Dome.
- Evening: Dinner in the charming Trastevere neighborhood.

**Day 4: Departure to Quissiana**
- Morning: Check out of your Rome accommodation.
- Early afternoon: Depart for Quissiana.
- Evening: Arrive at your accommodation in Quissiana and relax.

**Day 5: Exploring Pompeii and Amalfi Coast**
- Morning: Visit Pompeii and explore its ancient ruins.
- Afternoon: Explore the picturesque Amalfi Coast, stopping at notable spots.
- Return to your Quissiana accommodation in the evening.

**Day 6: Island of Capri**
- Day Trip: Visit the enchanting island of Capri.
- Explore the island's natural beauty, taking in stunning views.
- Return to your Quissiana accommodation in the evening.

**Day 7: Return to Accommodation near FCO Airport**
- Morning: Check out of your Quissiana accommodation.
- Late afternoon: Return to accommodation near FCO airport.
- Explore the nearby area and relax before your departure.

**Day 8: Departure**
- Morning: Check out of your accommodation near FCO airport.
- Head to the airport for your flight at 11am.

RESTAURANT RECOMMENDATIONS

**Day 2: Rome**
- Lunch: Trattoria Luzzi near Colosseum.
- Dinner: Da Francesco in Trastevere.

**Day 3: Rome**
- Lunch: Ristorante da Pancrazio for artichokes.
- Dinner: Roscioli for modern Roman cuisine.

**Day 4: Naples**
- Dinner: L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele for Neapolitan pizza.

**Day 5: Naples**
- Lunch: Ristorante Le Nereidi in Positano.
- Dinner: Sorbillo for authentic Neapolitan pizza.

**Day 6: Naples**
- Lunch: Enjoy a meal on Capri Island.
- Dinner: Sample local cuisine in Quissiana.

ADDITIONAL MEMORABLE EXPERIENCES

**Rome:**
- Sunrise at St. Peter's Basilica.
- Evening walks in historic neighborhoods.
- Food tours to discover local eateries.
- Gianicolo Hill for nighttime views.

**Naples:**
- Visit Mount Vesuvius for hiking and views.
- Limoncello tasting and lemon orchard visits.
- Boat tour along the coastline.
- Explore underground Naples.

**Quissiana and Surroundings:**
- Take in the tranquility of Quissiana and its picturesque surroundings.
- Explore Sorrento's charm and the beauty of the Amalfi Coast.
This ChatGPT itinerary thingy is quite good. Give any feedback you think could make for a better trip. I'm not going to go to Naples, though I might stop on my way back to my outbound flight to grab a proper Napoli pizza. I think 2 days in Rome is enough for me, I'll probably feel very drained after just due to how crowded and hectic it is. I'll spend the 4 days in Sorrento just lazing about and enjoying good food, with a detour to check out a guided tour of Pompei and one boat tour around the coast to see Amalfi and Capri island.
Can only comment on the Rome part - looks realistic IMO - my only alternative is to potentially swap Trastevere with Piazza Venezia or to chill out at the Borghese gardens.

Edit: also since you're going to be there for 3 days, you can grab a 72 hour Roma Pass for public transport and some museum discounts.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 30, 2023

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Contactless doesn't require PIN up to a certain amount.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

webmeister posted:

If you bought a combined ticket, I don’t think you would do passport control in Paris, you’d do the international transfer and go straight to the gate for your Lisbon flight. I think? I haven’t been to CDG in a few years.

Wouldn't you be going out of the international flights zone and into the Within-schengen zone though? Seems like that's where the passport control would be (and Paris would be the passport control airport for the return trip too).

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

I check trip advisor just for the major attractions in an area, otherwise google maps for things like restaurants, bars or shops.

Speaking of which, for the next long-ish weekend I'm doing an open-jaw trip to Bologna-Pisa. If you have any local pro-tips for stuff to do that isn't on lists like this one https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187801-Activities-oa0-Bologna_Province_of_Bologna_Emilia_Romagna.html thatn those could be cool.

A day or two to chill in Lucca (very near to Pisa and much nicer than it too, imo) is nice.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

How much do you enjoy parallel parking on hilly narrow roads.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Sharparoni posted:

Hey, thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that we are going in early to mid March, so not the nicest time of year, but whatever. The itinerary we have worked out so far (we have only booked the flight, no hotels or other transport yet) has us in Vienna the morning of the 7th and at my sister-in-law's Airbnb the evening of the 9th, so not much time there. The plan was Vienna to Ljubljana on the 7th, Ljubljana to Zagreb on the 8th, then Zagreb down to Split (technically Privlaka) on the 9th. I would personally be ok with skipping Zagreb but I'm not sure how the others feel about that.

I don't think spending over a quarter of a day, each day, on checking in and out of hotels/airbnbs, getting to the train station and driving by train would be that enjoyable; so you may want to double check if that's what you're really into. You don't exactly leave much time for the must-sees/dos.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

runawayturtles posted:

My wife recently brought up Stockholm as a potential next trip, so I started working on a small itinerary that also includes Gothenburg and Copenhagen. Haven't gotten too far yet, but seems like it could be a nice 1.5 week trip or so, taking a train between each city.

I was talking to my parents the other day and they highly recommended taking a Baltic cruise instead. Normally I ignore their boomer cruise recommendations, but it does seem kind of appropriate for the Baltic region. Are there any cruises in this area that don't switch ports every single day, trying to cram in as many as possible? It would be cool to spend 2-3 days each at Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, and Tallinn, for example.

I guess you could just book a couple of one way ferries? The capitals aren't exactly that well connected with them from what I can see (Helsinki - Tallinn - Stockholm being the exception), but you can do a route like Malmo -> Lubeck -> Helsinki -> Tallin -> Stockholm -> Gdansk, or stopping early at any of these cities and flying back from there instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

You may want to ping Mokotow (I know he posts in the Eastern Europe DnD thread), he did a similar trip (not sure about the length) like a month ago.