Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Festivities are apparently in Hamburg this year, found an article that says they're "expecting hundreds of thousands".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lisbon also offers the Lisboa Card, which - unlike many other such cards - is an incredible deal (or at least was in 2019). Free use of public transport, free train trips to Cascais and Sintra, many free or reduced entries.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Fruits of the sea posted:

Seconding Sintra, I wish I had more than one day there. The Moorish castle is very cool, a short but steep walk up and its crazy how its just barely balancing on the very top of the mountain. Quinta da Regaleira is a super bizarre garden with caves, secret tunnels and a bunch of references to masons/knights templar, built by an eccentric rich dude around 1900.

My tip for Sintra: get there (ideally by train, a free ride is included in the Lisboa Card for example) an hour before everything opens, then walk up to the Moorish castle on foot, arriving just when it opens.

Then do the visits in the opposite direction of all the tourist buses and most everything will be far less overrun. I used the Villa Sassetti trail, which is apparently closed now, but here are instructions:

https://www.sintra-portugal.com/guides/walk-to-palacio-pena-castelo-mouros-sintra.html