Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Nosaj posted:

London goons or anyone with the knowledge, I have a question.

Me and my girlfriend will be arriving in Heathrow next tuesday morning between 6 and 8 am and need to get to our hotel (Impersial Hotel) in Russell square. We are trying to do it on the cheap and avoid taxis and we found online that its apparently very easy and cheap (4-5 pound each) to take the Piccadilly lane/line from the Heathrow underground station about 45 minutes to the Russell square station. Our hotels only a few minutes walk from there so that'd be perfect.

My question is regarding our luggage and the space it would/will take up. We are going to have one standard checked luggage with clothes/etc each as well as a backpack/carry on size luggage type thing. So all in all 4 pieces of luggage 2 medium sized and 2 personal/carry on types. Will there be any problems taking this much space up? I'm hoping where its semi early in the morning we might avoid some rush but a lot of people will be up and on their way to work I suspect.

Me and the gf are both small town folk and have never been on a subway before. We just dont want to break some unwritten etiquette by taking up too much space and making people inconvienienced. Obviously we wouldnt be sprawled up taking anymore then we need but my mental pictures of subways are from Seinfeld and clips from Japan which dont leave a lot to be desired in the way of luggage space.

Also, regarding London itself, if we need to get somewhere 10-20 mins away by car are we better off looking into getting the underground/tram/buses or paying for a taxi? We obviously dont want to go broke paying for cabs but frankly coming from butt gently caress nowhere trying to figure out the London underground system is rather daunting to me and the gf. How expensive a cab ride would it be for rides of 10-20 mins?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not British but I have been to London a few times.

Don't worry about all your luggage on the subway. Since you're getting on at the airport you'll have first dibs of seats. I am not 100% sure but there might be extra luggage room on those trains because a billion people travel to London and take the train into the city. If nothing else, just get a spot at the end of the car and take a seat. Also, the morning is probably the busiest time for the tube but don't worry about it.

The tube will take you anywhere in the city and it will be quicker than a taxi. You'll never have to take a taxi and they are way too expensive anyways. The tube is huge and really easy to use. London was my first experience with a subway and it took me like 10 minutes to figure it out. Just get a map and be on you way.

Get an Oyster card from any small shop and put money on it (I think you can only use cash to add money to the card but I could be wrong). There are ATMs all over the place so don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
You can get some good discounts (2 for 1) for a lot of London attractions here:
http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/attraction-types/2for1london.aspx

A lot of the stuff is crap but they have the Tower of London, London Eye and London Walks (I really enjoyed the Tower and the London Walks - I hear the Eye is pretty cool too). You can save a good amount of money with these deals.

[EDIT] - If you use this great advice to buy tickets to Madame Tussauds I swear I will fly to London and punch you in your stupid Canadian face.

Omits-Bagels fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 8, 2010

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Nosaj posted:

Dont worry I was told already not to waste my money on that (we were totally going to tho!). Saved myself a punch in the face there.

As it stands now we have the Zoo, Aquarium, Tower of London, Shakespeare globe theatre, lion king at lyceum theatre, British Museum, Natural history museum planned into our trip. Ive been reading good things about the London Eye tho so we're probably going to look into that as well.

Do a walk from London Walks. http://www.walks.com/ (their site is a little confusing/disorganized)
They have multiple walks based on different subjects and I wish I would have gone on multiple walks.
You'll learn a lot of interesting stuff that you would have never learned on your own. A lot of the walks are at night so you won't have to miss a museum/attraction that is only open during the day. Their Jack the Ripper guide is supposedly the leading expert on Jack and his antics.

It is cheap too.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

LordWeird posted:

Well, looks like I'm flying into Bremen in two weeks. My friend convinced me to go with him and another one of our crew. None of us speak a word of German and we have no real plan other than "go to Germany." Is this a setup for a fantastic adventure or utter disaster?

EDIT: Mostly I'm worried about communication. Will we be able to muddle through with English and a phrasebook alright?

We saved their asses in WWII, they should at least know a little english. You should be fine. Like stated above, most younger people have been learning English since grade school. Just say "moo" for beef and flap your arms like a chicken if you want chicken.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
What are some good websites geared to backpackers/college students traveling abroad?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I've recently started a travel advice blog geared for people traveling to Europe. https://www.thesavvybackpacker.com
It isn't done and there are tons of spelling mistakes but there is a decent amount of info up so far. It might be helpful to some people.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

several wet dogs posted:

Okay, I have somewhat of an odd question. I'm planning to explore Western Europe and The Mediterranean with my mother, who turned 50 this year. It has always been a dream of hers to visit and only now is it a possibility. She wants me to tag along and pay half my way. Who could say no to that?
We'll mostly be sticking to Spain, France and Italy and will be travelling light and staying in hostels throughout the trip, as we don't want to eat up all of our savings. However, this is already proving difficult, as every single hostel I've looked at so far has a maximum age limit of 40. Is this simply a standard in hostels? What are our options here?

most hostels are geared toward younger people but there are plenty that allow old farts like your mom. where have you been looking?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

several wet dogs posted:

Just the websites suggested here; HostelWorld.com and HostelBookers.com. I guess I haven't really looked at much, but after seeing 20 venues in a row all baring the same restrictions I got a little worried! Are these sites in particular geared toward the younger crowds?

try http://www.hihostels.com/
I think you need a membership card but they might allow older people.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

pinegala posted:

I'm a 21-year-old American college student who has never traveled without family and am planning on visiting a friend who's studying abroad in Dublin from Dec. 14th to Dec. 31st (who similarly hasn't traveled abroad without family). We originally planned to spend 3-4 days in Ireland, 3-4 days in Sweden (Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmo), a week in Italy (2 days Rome, Sienna, 2 days Florence, 2 days Venice), and 3 days in Switzerland (Lugano, Lauterbrunnen, Lucerne). I'm a little concerned about :

1) time crunch since all the responses in this thread and the "tell me about Rome" thread specify at least 2 days for most cities and 3-4 for the big ones (Rome especially). Should we cut down on countries/cities?

2) how hostels work. I've never stayed at a hostel and neither has my friend. Can you leave stuff there like at a hotel even if the rooms are dorm-style? Would couchsurfing be a better alternative?

3) a good backpack/what to bring. I'm thinking about packing a week's worth of clothes and necessary toiletries (apparently a quick drying towel is really necessary?) Anyone have any recommendations on backpacks? Similarly, do I have to lug everything around if I'm planning on living in hostels?

4) anything else in general that I don't know.I'm sure that these questions are pretty basic for experienced travelers, but as I said, I'm a complete novice and any insight would be really welcome.

First off, visit my website: https://www.thesavvybackpacker.com — you're making all the mistakes that newbie travelers make.

You have way too many places on your list. Doing a city a day is way too crazy of a schedule. In 14 days I suggest sticking to about 3-4 cities. Why did you pick the cities you picked? Is there a reason? Are you open to other suggestions?

Other important things to remember. Everything will be closed December 25th. A lot will also be closed the 24th and 26th.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

several wet dogs posted:

Okay, so I'm pretty confident the age thing is a non-issue, but now I have another query. What's the deal with the hostel prices I'm seeing online? They are more than I was expecting, from €30 per person per night for a shared dorm, to as much as €70 for a private one (which is what we'd prefer). In regards to the private dorms, I've seen many regular hotels with rooms for the same amount or less!

I ask because I once read you shouldn't book hostels in advance, but that seems like asking for trouble to me!

I should mention these places are all in Rome.

EDIT: After checking out that Savvy Backpacker site it seems this is probably normal and I just need to suck it up! I gotta stop clogging up this thread.

The cheapest rooms are the ones with a lot of people in them. Private rooms are really expensive — sometimes as much as a hotel.
I've never really heard about not booking hostels ahead of time. You could save a few bucks by booking directly with the hostel though.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

several wet dogs posted:

Thanks guys, you're a really helpful lot! Does anybody know of any other forums more centered around travel where I can get intelligent/informative discourse such as this? I have so many more questions and feel like I'm posting too much already.

We're going for ~9 weeks over April and May. So far visiting France, Italy and Greece (in that order). Spain and Turkey are still up in the air as we're very much novice travellers and might get a little lost in countries where English is less widespread, though Turkey looks absolutely beautiful, and Spain's art scene certainly is tempting. I guess we're afraid of going in over our heads trying to squash five countries into barely twice as many weeks!
We've already decided to drat it all and book a nice apartment for the weeks we'll be staying in Paris and Rome. Which, as already stated, works out much the same anyway. Hopefully 'Easter Season' doesn't encompass all of May otherwise we're in trouble.

9 weeks with your mom? uggg. Good luck with that. I give it about 10 days before you're at each others throats.

You won't get lost... well, you will but not really. I did 5 weeks alone in Europe and didn't have any major problems.

So you're staying in Paris for a week? Do you plan on visiting other cities in France?
Ohh, and Easter season is the week of Easter.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Grenyarnia posted:

Alright so I'm trying to work out my budget for my 2-week trip to Europe later next month and was looking for some help. I really have no idea how much I will be spending since I am unsure of the cost of things.

We are spending 2 days in Brussels, 5 days in Berlin, 2 days in Prague, 2 days in Munich, and 3 days in Amsterdam.

I know that I will have the following expense:

-$250 for all the hostels (already been booked and we aren't staying in a hostel in Berlin)
-$300 for Eurail pass

So that leaves food, entertainment, and transportation costs. I know it's really hard to generalize, especially since I will be in 4 different countries, but could anyone offer any estimates as far as average price of a (standard) meal, average price of a drink at a club/bar, and what transportation normally runs within a city? Or could someone point to a resource I may have missed that has this information?

Thanks.

I would budget about 30-35 Euros ($41-$48) per day. You can probably spend 20-25Euros if you don't buy any alcohol and only eat food from grocery stores.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Limastock posted:

Thanks for any info

Yeah, cut out some cities. You are really rushing things. You're not even taking transportation time into consideration.

Munich > Prague = 6 hours
Prague > Berlin = 4.5 hours
Berlin > Amsterdam = 6.5 hours
Amsterdam > Paris = 4.5 hours

And you have to figure in all the time you'll spend getting from the train stations into your hotel/hostel. Then getting checked in and getting orientated.

So you're losing at least half day each time you change cities.

Also, everything will be closed on Christmas day and some stuff might be closed on the 24th or 26th. I recommend being in a big city during this time so you can walk around the city and enjoy the sights.

Also, as said before, is there a reason you're flying into Zurich? You're using up a solid 1.5 days by doing this.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Limastock posted:

Flights into and out of zurich were about ~$200 less than anywhere else. I would have loved to fly into berlin or frankfurt but it was a $700 ticket VS a $1000 ticket.

As for the itinerary, I definitely have looked at the travel times and I would like to avoid the typical "scramble around europe with no time" mistake however we really dont plan on spending nights in zurich or munich so we were going to take night trains during those travel periods and arrive in munich and prague very early in the AM.

As for the 24th-26th, we will be in amsterdam during that period and i assume that is considered a big enough city to spend christmas in?

Thanks for all the help, ill see what i can do about the itinerary.

/edit

Oh and one more question -

How do the areas I mentioned look upon people with tattoos? This is more curiosity than anything however, I would just like to know if I should expect rude treatment or strange looks as I have full sleeves and my wife has her arms and a full chest pieces as well. Thanks

$1000 in the winter? Dang. I paid $520 flying into Paris and out of Frankfurt last winter.

Amsterdam could be ok. I was in Amsterdam around christmas last year (like the 20-22) and I wish I would have skipped it. It was really cold and rainy/snowy. I enjoyed it much more during the spring/summer. I agree with the other poster and I suggest skipping it. This will allow for more time in Paris and Berlin.

I think Paris would be a lot better during Christmas but it really won't work with flow of your trip.

Are you staying in hostels or hotels? One thing to consider is that most hotels and hostels won't let you check-in until like 4pm so you'll have to stash you stuff. They'll have a place for you to do it but you won't be able to shower/unpack during those days where you arrive early in the morning.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Limastock posted:

Ill keep the amsterdam advice in mind however my wife and I are pretty set on seeing it and we love the cold snowy/rainy weather so we will most likely still spend some time there.

We will be staying in hostels and I didnt consider the check in time being so late so im glad you warned me about that.

One other question - Are the hostels crowded this time of year? It seems the summer would be much worse.

The hostels will have plenty of people in them. Not as many as during the summer but you'll still want to book your room a few days in advance.

But yeah, the cold usually doesn't bother me but after being out for 8 hours it starts to get old. But, I was also in Europe during a cold spell so it was regularly in the low 20s for most of the day.
Or it could be in the 40s. Just make sure you have the right clothes.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Limastock posted:

Yeah I saw a video on munich recently and it said the park is clothing optional? I thought they were exaggerating as the idea of an entire urban park being nudist friendly is almost unthinkable.

Hmm, didnt take that into consideration. Thanks.

I was there in the spring and there were about 5 old guys walking around naked so its not like you get to see a bunch of hot german chicks.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Fists Up posted:

Someone want to tell me why the raileurope website is a load of crap and won't let me see anything for travelling in spain?

We have a 6 day railpass. I know that to get to Madrid to Granada is possible as its stated on the Renfe website. I want to see if we can do Madrid > Cordoba > Granada as that might be quicker.

However whenever I try to look up anything on the raileurope website it gives me poo poo

I've tried it for numerous places including madrid>barcelona and a whole heap of others. I really doubt that every single trip around spain has been booked out.

What the hell is going on? Do I even need to book through this crap or can I go through a different site and state I have a pass? Its working for bookings in france which is odd.

Eurail isn't worth it in Spain anyways. It is cheaper to just buy tickets at the station.
Spain's rail site sucks worse than their economy. You probably don't need to make reservations anyways. Just do it at the station if it is required.
[Edit] Search here http://www.bahn.com/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

Omits-Bagels fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 6, 2010

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

tyang209 posted:

I'm going to amsterdam for two weeks from the 30th of December and I had a few questions.

1. Is using a credit card for purchases the best option? I've been looking for credit cards with no foreign transaction fees and I keep coming back to Capital one but I'm not sure if my credit is good enough. Anyone know of a better card?

2. Hostels are really expensive (100+euros/night) from the 31st of december to the 3rd or 4th of January. So my plan now is to rent an apartment with friends. Does anyone know of any good apartment renting sites?

I think Cap One has the best credit card for international use.
Although, you're only going to be in Europe for like a week so the amount of foreign transactions fees you rack up is going to be small (like $5).

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

tyang209 posted:

Oh sorry I didn't clarify. I'm actually staying for about two weeks till January 12th. It's just that hostels are ridiculous for the days around New Years so I figure we might as well get an apartment which costs around 25-35 euros a night per person in amsterdam from checking websites like vrbo , crashpadder, and airbnb.

It looks like you've checked out the most popular apartment rental sites. I would start contacting the people now because I'm sure apartment are going quickly.

I did a post about apartment rentals in Europe on my website: http://thesavvybackpacker.com/678/guide-to-short-term-apartment-rental-europe-great-way-live-like-local/

But yeah, with a few people an apartment rental is a great idea.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Xanderg posted:

So as of now I'm living in England studying for a year, right now it's our Winter break and I want to use these four weeks to travel. I was thinking about starting out small, within the U.K. and then branching out to Europe. However, the problem is that if I travel, it will be alone. My course of action was going to be:

Edinburgh - 2 Days
Dublin - 2 Days
London - 2 Days
Paris - 4 Days
Munich - 4 Days
Prague - 4 Days.

I was thinking about going through http://www.neweuropetours.eu/ and basically following them as far as accommodation recommendations go as well as tours, basically sticking to the beaten path really. Also, I understand that I'm not spending much time in the U.K. compared to the other cities, that's mainly because I can take a weekend trip to any of those cities really.

Anyways, I guess the question is, is traveling alone dangerous within these countries? I figure Prague would be the sketchiest one, which is a real shame because that and Munich are the two cities I want to visit the most. As far as getting around goes I have it fairly figured out, I'll take the train/bus/ferry around the U.K. then the Eurostar over to Paris and use a Eurail pass to get around France, Germany, Czech Republic.
Prague isn't sketchy at all. I would skip Ireland and maybe go back for a weekend trip in the spring. You can probably get a super cheap ticket on Ryanaire into Dublin if you keep your eyes open.
Use those extra days in London or Paris.
You'll be fine traveling alone. I did it for like 6 weeks and I am just a wide-eyed Midwestern boy.
New Europe tours can be good. The one I did in London was fine but I thought the Amsterdam one sucked (it all depends on the guide, though). One problem is that you can sometimes get in huge groups. I think we had something like 35 people in my group in London. Search out other guides on tripadvisor, too. London Walks has some excellent guides for 7 pounds and I found them to be better than the New Europe.

And for accommodation, just go off hostelworld's ratings.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

tyang209 posted:

I found a great looking place that looks legitimate enough.
http://www.amsterdamprivateapartment.nl/

The owner is asking for the entire amount of my stay upfront when I get there. Is that standard or does that sound sketchy? he's pricing it at 45 euros a night for 8 nights and another room for 55 euros for 5 nights. Too good to be true or is this just a good deal?

payment upfront is pretty common. it sounds like you're paying in person so I'm sure it is fine.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Ziir posted:

I say this all the time but once more, if you are a student or have a plastic student ID that clearly says "student" on it somewhere, bring it with you and always ask about a student discount. I guarantee every single museum has some kind of discount for students and none of which I've gone to cared that I didn't have an ISIC, and a lot of hostels I've been to gave me discounts for showing them my student ID as well (even if they don't advertise a discount).

Except France. those jerks only take EU student IDs.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

mrchina posted:

Anybody know anything about the Eurail Global Pass? They have an option called the "Saver Pass" and they say it is shared by 2-5 people traveling together at all times good for 15 travel days.

Does this mean I only have to buy one Saver Pass for $621 if I'm traveling around Europe with my brother as we will be together 24/7... or do I have to buy two of these saver passes for $1242?

Thanks!

One pass is good for all the people in your group.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

ChadBroChill17 posted:

I just wanted to visit Switzerland. Would Bern or Geneva be more fun/less-expensive or should I just permanently axe it from the trip?

I'm looking at around 3 weeks. Basically whatever it takes to fit all of this in within at a reasonable pace. I can extend the trip slightly if need be.

If you want to do a lot of cool outdoors stuff then you should go to Interlaken, Switzerland. You can do everything from hiking to skydiving. I went parasailing and skydiving there.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Private Snowball posted:

Have some questions about London. I'm going there for a wedding and will be staying January 31-February 5. I really only have from February 1-3 to myself though because of family and wedding stuff.

1.) Is an Oyster card only good for one day? Do I pay for it before hand or does it charge me later based on how much I used it? Is there a better alternative?

2.) I want to visit the National Gallery, Tate Modern, House of Parliament, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, and Tower Bridge to get all the big tourist places out of the way before I come back for the 2012 Olympics. Can I do this in three days time?

3.) I want to watch some football matches and I've found three. February 1st is Arsenal-Everton and QPR-Portsmouth. I can't go to both obviously so I was wondering if its worth the trouble of paying more to watch Arsenal pass the ball around or go see the QPR-Portsmouth match for 30 pounds. Also I assume I can get the QPR ticket the day of. Could I get an Arsenal ticket on match day?

The other match is February 2 and is Fulham-Newcastle. I always wanted to go to Craven Cottage, but I was wondering if this match will be a sell out and I should get a ticket ahead of time? Are there scalpers? Do they charge a lot?

1.the oyster card is good forever. it is what locals use. You put money on it at the station/grocery stores and money is deducted out of your account when you pass through the turnstiles.

2. you can see all those things in 3 days. no problem. You could probably see it all in one day if you really wanted.

3. don't know anything about football.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Brokyn posted:

:ughh: That lying bastard told my dad it was somewhere in Europe.

Thanks for figuring that out though. I wanted to use Google Goggles so bad, but of course I have a winmo phone. Sad trombone.

This is hilarious.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

GregNorc posted:

So I have about 2-3 grand I can afford to blow on a vaction. I'm starting a PhD program inthe fall, so this is my last hurrah. I've never traveled much, just within the US and a couple trips to Niagara Falls.

One part of me wants to do something crzy like backback southeast asia or Eastern Europe (I've seen offers for tours of Chernobyl, I had thought of starting in Kiev and exploring)

The other part of me wants to do something more traditional. London/Paris/(Insert City here)

Any suggestions? Should a first time traveler stick to Western Europe? How many cities is a good number for a two week trip? Is three a good number? What's a good city to make my third? I was thinking either Rome or Berlin.

You can't go wrong with Europe. In your case, I would stick to two or three cities. London and Paris are great cities and they are really close. You can take the Eurostar train between the two cities in like 2.5 hours so travel time isn't even an issue. Then you can add another location that is close.
You could fly into Dublin, spend four days in the city and the surrounding countryside, take a cheap flight into london and stay there for 5 days, and then take the 5:30am Eurostar into Paris, spend 4-5 days in Paris and fly out of Paris.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Ziir posted:

I love beer. I love Belgian beer. I love Belgian beer more than anything else in this world. I'm planning on going on a beer tour through Belgium to profess my love for Belgian beer. Maybe I'll even go out and see something historical or museums or something, if the beer lets me, but my main goal is to drink as much Belgium beer as I can. I'm not looking to get drunk off of cheap beer and party cause I can just do that here in Germany. I want to sample and try out all sorts and types of Belgium beer, local beers, food cooked with beer, beer with fruits in it that Germans can't help but think :lol: and make fun of, dubels, tripels, white beer, blonde beer, maybe even visit a Trappist brewery if I can (Chimay, I'd do anything for you :allears:).

Tell me, Belgoons, what place(s) should I go to accomplish this mighty quest?

I know there is a bar in Brussels that has like 2000 beers.

[EDIT] http://www.deliriumcafe.be/

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

GLITTER AND GREASE posted:

I love the idea of driving through quaint towns since I love the history and architecture of Europe, however; my younger sister is more focused on the main points. She's interested in the big cities and bright lights so to speak (she lives in a small city in Canada). Though I would love to go to Nice as that's where part of our family originates from.

Now I've heard driving through Europe can be horrifying and I will add that I can't drive stick AND I will be under 25 when we go. I am thinking the rail pass will be the easier thing for us to go with. With that being said how easy will it be to navigate around the big cities without a car? Do most have a transit system that's accessable?

Big cities are a pain in the rear end to drive in. Every European of any size will have good/great public transportation.

Just buy a railpass. Driving is going to suck and train are awesome.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

GLITTER AND GREASE posted:

We are going with railpasses we've decided! I don't mind walking places because I agree about getting to see a more local side of the places we go to. Right now we are looking at hostels and getting our hostel cards. As for England, I will be there this November for 2 weeks so that should be fun too.

Don't waste your money on hostel cards. Just use https://www.hostelworld.com

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

GregNorc posted:

Is it worth it for a 2 week trip, or should I just suck it up and use FB/aim on my iphone at wifi hotspots to coordinate stuff?

Also someone mentioned renting apartments... is that just long(ish) term? Or can you get like, a week somewhere?

You don't need a phone. Just use Skype over WiFi if you really need something. Or you can jailbreak and unlock your iPhone and just use an European SIM card.

You can rent apartments for a week. I've seen stuff as little as 3 days. Try AirBnB.com for shorter term stuff.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

GregNorc posted:

Is it still fun traveling Europe if you're doing it alone?

It is the most fun.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Enigma89 posted:

I'm an American that will be moving to Marseille to get my masters. What do I need to know? I speak Spanish, German and English but very little French (my school is in English).

Just buy a Marseille soccer jersey. You still might want to pickup some French... which shouldn't be to hard since you know Spanish.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Cascadia Pirate posted:

I am going to be in Wroclaw, Poland for two or three days in April. The guidebooks I have only cover the larger Polish cities (Warsaw, Krakow) so I was wondering if anyone had been here? I was hoping to find a good hostel to stay in, see the sights in town and in the surrounding area and drinking Polish beer. Any recommendations?

Check hostelworld for a good hostel.

You might find this guide helpful... http://www.inyourpocket.com/poland/wroclaw

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Suntory BOSS posted:

Assumed like an idiot that it'd be easy to find a hotel in Amsterdam, but it looks like everything is booked or above our budget ($90-$120 per night).

If anybody is familiar with a good hotel in Amsterdam that has vacancies (either 3 single rooms or one three-bed room), please let me know :smith:

Try http://www.airbnb.com/

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Magic Underwear posted:

Ok, it is about 36 hours until my flight into Athens, my first time out of the country since I was about 11. I'm armed with a 3-month global Eurail pass, and my return flight is about 14 weeks from now. I've got my (one, carry-on sized) bag packed and I think I've covered most of my bases, but I'm still nervous.

So, experienced travelers, is there anything that I should make sure to do before going? Something that you regretted not doing before leaving on a long trip? Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Read my website: https://www.thesavvybackpacker.com

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Matty D posted:

This is totally great, thank you!

How necessary do you guys view a product like this: http://astore.amazon.com/thesav02-20/detail/B0009U7RCK
I live and work in Chicago and seeing tourists use these has been generally met with rolling eyes, mostly at how blatant it stamps the "I'M A TOURIST WHAT'S GOING ON" label on their forehead. At the same time I don't want to get robbed blind.

I never used a money belt. They are just a pain in the rear end. I kept my really important stuff locked up in the hostel and my cash/credit cards in my wallet.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

duralict posted:

European megathread people, I am going to London in two weeks and I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing, or how I'm getting to France afterwards. Is there any cheap option that I can book more or less on the spot? Travel time isn't an issue - I've got scads of time.

Buying any type if last minute transportation in Europe is going to cost a fortune.

You can actually get some good rates on Eurostar tickets from London to Paris if you buy a month+ in advance. I was able to get a ticket for about the same price as a budget airline ticket. Buy your ticket from a brithsh or french rail site. Sometimes it will redirect you to the N. American version but don't let it (you'll get charged extra).

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Matty D posted:

Did you keep your passport locked up? I suppose I could walk around with a photocopy of it just in case.

I never felt any reason to carry my passport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

duralict posted:

Well, I got the Eurail pass, so in theory I can do some last-minute moving around without shelling out much extra, right? I gather there are surcharges and such in France and Italy and that it doesn't cover the Eurostar lines, though, and when I looked up Eurostar prices I was pretty amazed at what they charge for a 2 hour train trip. I guess I don't have much choice, though, and I should pretty much buy it right now?

It looks like I'll be spending 3-4 days in London. I like museums and historical sites, and London has no shortage of those, but I don't really know much about them or how far apart they are. I'm flying there first mainly because the flight was $250, I didn't do much research on London itself before booking it. Also I haven't gotten any of my couchsurfing requests responded to yet, so if yall know of a decent hostel that would be very helpful too.

Thanks for the thread and parislogue links, I will poke through them!

What kind of eurostar ticket prices are you seeing? I think I paid 41 Euros for a one way ticket. What are your travel dates?