Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

caberham posted:

Hey Paris was pretty empty to walk around right right after a terrorist attack :downsrim:

Make sure you pack a lunch or some snacks during those times. I don't think it's as empty as 28 days later, but just in case!

And if you have a few location recommendations like local food, favourite restaurant or 2, and a hostel review then I think your guide would be a lot better than the competition.

That's a great idea. I'm actually in the beginning stages of reaching out to locals to get their recommendations on food/restaurants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Comb Your Beard posted:

Anybody have tips for getting a rental car near Paris? The automatics look outrageously expensive and I don't know to drive stick.

I rented a car from AutoEurope when I was living in Paris. Yeah, you get screwed with the automatic. You want to book as early as possible from what I could tell.

And driving in Paris isn't fun but it isn't so terrible. Although, I only drove from the train station to Normandy and back. Speeds are slow in the city so just take it easy and you'll be fine. You need GPS.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

hackbunny posted:

Paris by bike is really nice (until it starts raining I guess). Velib is cheap and really easy to use

I had a scooter. It was great and terrifying at the same time.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Ras Het posted:

Y'all need to give up on cars for a minute - you can take the bus to any remote backwoods hicksville basically anywhere in Europe.

That's not really true. We went to Normandy to visit the beaches and countryside, and getting around via public transportation isn't really a good option. And exploring Tuscany is probably best via car. Sure, you can take a bus but then you're tied to a set schedule, etc.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
We're going to be spending four days in Florence in about two weeks. I have two questions.

First: Has anyone explored Tuscany via scooter? We were thinking about renting one for a day.

Second: I'd love some restaurant recommendations for Florence.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

hackbunny posted:

The weather may not be the best this time of the year

It's forecasted to be sunny and in the upper 60s. Hopefully it stays that way.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Do any other websites sell cheap Amsterdam -> London train tickets at the same price as the Eurostar website? The Eurostar website hates all my credit cards for some reasons, but all the others I can find seem to want to sell me semi flex or other variations which cost 1.5x as much.

Try this site: https://www.trainline.eu

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I've been wearing these: https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/JCrewingoodcompany/NewBalance/PRDOVR~E3792/E3792.jsp

but something like this would be comfortable and fashionable: https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/JCrewingoodcompany/NewBalance/PRDOVR~E8592/E8592.jsp?color_name=dark-navy

Omits-Bagels fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 12, 2016

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

clawed monet posted:

I am going to Switzerland for 4 days and could use some advice please! I'm in Innsbruck right now and taking a train on Nov 2nd to interlaken. We get in around 3 PM and we plan on walking around the city that day. We have to leave (from Geneva airport) on the 6th at 2 pm. Is there enough to do in Interlaken for 4 days or should we go somewhere else (e.g. Bern) after a day or two? We love to hike and explore (which is what we have been doing in Innsbruck) but also like changing scenery and don't want the same mountains 3-4 days in a row. Unfortunately we are also on a student budget so we cannot afford to go on many day trips with the trains, as Swiss trains seem to be pretty expensive haha. Thank you!

Interlaken is great for outdoor sports but most everything is expensive. If you're just bumming around then I think four days is too long.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Raimondo posted:

I'm a little worried on how to get from my Airbnb in Madrid to the airport. My flight's on a Sunday at 6:30a. I'm assuming my best bet would be to find a taxi. How difficult is it to plan for a taxi to pick you up at a certain time in the morning? I don't speak Spanish very well so I don't know how that phone call will go. My concern is wandering the streets of Madrid at 3a with luggage in tow trying to flag one down.

You could try Uber. A lot of taxi companies now have Uber-like apps that will call a taxi to your location.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Carbon dioxide posted:

... don't get intimidated by those assholes distracting you by literally grabbing you and trying to put a lovely bracelet around your wrist and making you pay for it while their companion steals your stuff. If you appear like you're gonna get violent at them they gently caress off quickly.

Or just ignore them completely. No eye contact, just keep walking.

I used to work near the Sacre Coeur and it amazed me how many people would stop and get roped into this.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm hoping to be able to plan a trip to France/Paris for my wife and I. We're not very broadly traveled outside CONUS/Canada and this would be our first time in Europe.

Planned dates are leaving from Boston on the evening of Feb 9 or morning of the 10th, and leave on February 17 or 18.

What would be a good itinerary for this? I know she'd love to hit up museums and history, but I'm not sure how much time we'd need for just Paris. I'd be neat to check out Normandy, but if we don't have enough time, or there are better things to see, I'd be okay with skipping that.

Would a trip of that length be doable for under $2500? Airfare is about $1000, so we'd have $1500 for lodging/food/ect. This is flexible but the lower the better! Never having travelled to Europe I don't know how to budget for it.

Is there another city we could take a train to and spend a few days? I'd love to travel by rail.

Any recommendations at all would be great!

We rented a car and did Normany (mainly the WWII beaches) in February for about four days. Most days were cold and rainy but there was one nice sunny day. There were virtually no tourists there. You'll want to rent a car if you visit the beaches because there is practically no public transportation.

For your length of trip, I would skip it. There is plenty to do in Paris. There are also a few day trips that are a lot closer and easier to visit than Normandy if you're looking to get out of the city.

There will be plenty of Airbnbs available for Feb as there are very few visitors. I wrote up this guide to my favorite neighborhoods: https://thesavvybackpacker.com/city-guide/where-stay-paris-neighborhoods/

Omits-Bagels fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Omne posted:

Wife and I are going to Paris in May (arrive the morning of the 3rd, leave the morning of the 10th). We want to have a great dinner, do a wine tour/champagne tour, possibly a day trip to Normandy. I understand on the 8th most things will be closed down for V-E Day, so not sure what we should do then. Any suggestions for the dinner/tours?

Normandy is a looong day trip from Paris but it's doable.

Take a train to Reims if you want to do a champagne tour.