Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, so my plan is to go back to Scotland since I last went there 10 years ago, but this time bring a car so I'm not stuck in cities and get to see the beautiful countryside. While I'm in Britain, I'd also like to take a few days for visiting Wales.

I skip Edinburgh, Glasgow and Stirling because I've been to those places already.

My questions are:
- Does the following road trip (with hopefully enough time to stop and explore interesting places on the way) seem feasible?
- Any general tips on places along the way I should avoid and places I shouldn't miss?

Distances listed are google maps highway distances - I might take some pretty detours

Day 0
Overnight ferry IJmuiden - Newcastle Upon Tine

Day 1
Arrival Newcastle
Drive to Perth (166mi/ 267km)

Day 2
Drive to Inverness (112mi /180km)

Day 3
Visit Isle of Skye, then drive to Fort William (113mi /181km to Portree + 108mi/ 174 km to Fort William)

Day 4
Looong drive to Manchester (318mi/ 511km)

Day 5
Explore Manchester, drive to Caernarfon in the afternoon (104mi/167 km)

Day 6
Drive to Cardiff (171mi/275 km)

Day 7
Make my way to Dover (234mi / 377 km)

Day 8
Ferry to France in the morning, go home.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'd agree. We once tried to do Skye as a day-trip from Aviemore and basically we spent the day in the car to have an hour to have a quick look and eat lunch before we had to head back. It was not a good day. If Scotland had lots of motorways, it'd be one thing but it doesn't. It has roads where you get stuck in big queues behind trucks, caravnas and other slow traffic.

I'd forget the Manchester and Cardiff parts, focus on Scotland and arrive/depart via Newcastle.

Day 1 - leave Newcastle, drive to Perth - (3.5 hrs). Enjoy Perth, visit the Scone Palace. etc
Day 2 - anything else you want to see in Perth. Drive to Aviemore (2hrs).
Day 3 - go up the Cairngorms and enjoy the countryside.
Day 4 - drive Aviemore to Inverness (1hr). Expore Inverness.
Day 5 - drive to Isle of Skye (4hrs).
Day 6 - Explore Skye. Either walk one of the recommended peaks or do a distillery tour.
Day 7 - Early drive to Fort William (3.5hrs). Do the Lock Ness tourist trap.
Day 8 - drive back to Newcastle (5hrs) and ferry home.

Even that is quite busy.

Alright, I think I'll go with something similar to this. Thanks for the advice.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You cannot take bikes onto buses unless they're foldable bikes. And I don't think those are easy to rent.

What you could theoretically do is rent a bike in Haarlem, bike to the Keukenhof, then on the way back bike to the closest train station, that seems to be Hillegom. You can take bikes along on the train for 6.10 EUR per bike per day. However, if you go for that path, make sure to figure out the Dutch train system ahead of time - I've heard lots of stories of Dutch train ticket machines not accepting foreign cards, and most stations are unmanned these days, so you could easily get stuck that way (getting on a train without a ticket will get you heavily fined).

Another option would be to rent e-bikes. E-bikes are bicycles that make cycling much easier because they have a small electric motor pushing you along, and those have gained a lot of popularity in the Netherlands. I'd guess quite a few rental places have a couple for rent, although I'm not 100% on that.

I'm not sure if there's any place near the Keukenhof that rents bikes. Of course, you could take a bus there, then take a bus to some decently-sized town and rent a bike there for a shorter distance. Something like that would probably be the safest option.

There is a lot to see in Amsterdam itself, so it's hard to give recommendations without knowing what you're interested in. If you like art and history museums, the Rijksmuseum is always a good visit. Just be aware that it's big - you'll probably won't be able to see everything in one day. If you just want to see the historic city, a canal boat tour is probably the best way. And if you want a good view of the city, there's the recently opened lookout on the A'dam Tower.

I'm not actually from Amsterdam, so there's probably people here who can give you more and better recommendations. There's also plenty of interesting and cool places to visit just outside the city, which I can tell you about if you're interested.

E: Oh, and for things in Amsterdam that require tickets - see if you can get them in advance, either online or from any tourist information point in Amsterdam. Ticket lines can get very long.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 3, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bollock Monkey posted:

It depends what you like, but the Vondelpark is pleasant to wander around. The Tropenmuseum is my favourite museum in Europe, it's an anthropological museum with superb special exhibitions. Worth the ticket price just for those, in my opinion.

Presumably your wife won't be drinking, but if you have an interest in beer and she doesn't mind you having a couple, I can recommend the Brouwerij 't IJ brewery tour - it's in an old bathhouse near a windmill and the beer is good.

The Kattenkabinet is a fun way to spend a couple of hours for something like 5 euro.

Electric Lady Land is a bizarre and wonderful way to spend an afternoon, and it's perfectly located for having a nice stroll before/after.

Amsterdam Noord is just over the water (it's a free boat ride from the train station) and mostly has an arty event space, but on a sunny day it's really lovely to wander round. Cute houses and a bit of greenery, that sort of thing.

For proper Dutch fare, pay a visit to Moeders - it's a quirky little restaurant that serves tasty food in the style of Dutch mothers. I took some American friends and they really liked it.

If you fancy another day trip, Den Haag isn't far on a train from Amsterdam and is a nice city. It has the Escher museum set in one of the royal palaces, which is pretty cool.

I'm Dutch and I didn't know about most of those places! Cool stuff, thanks. If you have any more hidden gems, please tell.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

PT6A posted:

A sturdy umbrella and a good coat.

Or a t-shirt and sunglasses. In April it's mostly sunny with 15-20C, with the occassional rainy day.

Also, if you're still there by April 27th, well I hope you like crowds.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is there anything to do if I have a free night in Inverness, Scotland?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In trains I've been on (mostly Netherlands and some other EU countries), there is wifi. It is advertised, and the network is there when you look for it. You can also connect to it.

Then, it's so horribly slow that you're lucky if you manage to load a page at all. Usually I don't even bother with it and just use my 4g.

I did hear they're trying to improve it, though. So YMMV.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I know nothing about fine dining, but looking at which cities have the most Michelin star restaurants should be a good start, I think?

http://uk.businessinsider.com/cities-with-the-most-michelin-stars-in-the-world-2016-12

For European cities, from highest to lower, it's Paris, London, Brussels, Barcelona, Berlin, Milan, Antwerp, Rome, Madrid.

Of those, I've been to Paris, London and Antwerp, and all three are great to explore and have lots of culture and museums.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 6, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Waroduce posted:

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Europe in two weeks (wow already). Its my first time. She previously has spent time in south of France and lived in Florence for a study abroad program. We land in Cologne, Germany on Saturday, May 20th at 11:45AM local time. I figure after a ten hour flight we will be tired and stay the day and a single night here. We depart out of Cologne, Germany back home on May 28th at 1PM Local Time. We def both want to do Italy, but are kind of open to a short two or three day stay somewhere else before that

I was hoping for some advice on the itinerary from you guys. I do project management so I've built a few different options, but right now this seems to be the top:

1. Cologne on Saturday night, Amsterdam on Sunday night vi train, fly into Rome on Monday. Monday night Rome.Spend tues -wed/thur around Amalfi via train. Train up to Genoa/Cinque Terra/Venice on Friday we are kinda loose here and eventually end up in Milan Saturday night to catch a 6AM flight to Cologne Sunday where we land at 8AM and die infront of the gate of our 1PM flight home.

Is this a dumb idea? Too much? anything to avoid or add to the trip? I feel like Rome deserves a few days, but I don't want to do that for my first time, i'd rather get out and see stuff.

e: we will also be "backpacking" probably in a loose sense of the word. We aren't bringing luggage but are planning on packing two big rear end hiking/camping style bags. Well one for me to lug around and slightly larger than normal size one for her. any tips/ideas regarding this? Are the little regionals going to be super strict on carry-on size and stuff and we are going to end up paying to check?

You're doing that typical tourist thing where you think all of Europe is one single country and you can just hop from capital to capital. I mean you could, but you won't get to see much. Why would you want to spend such a large part of your holiday time on several international flights?

The area around Cologne has a bunch of lovely cities, each of which you could spend days in. Also nice countryside. You only have a week. You could visit Maastricht, Trier, perhaps some cities in Belgium, or Luxemburg, to name just a few cool places. And even that would already be a larger radius than I'd ideally be comfortable with. But it's up to you.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Just as a note, I have no idea if you can just buy last-minute tickets to Italy when you arrive in Cologne.

If you're planning to do a flight from Cologne to some other place in Europe, I strongly suggest to book tickets in advance. They'll be cheaper and it'll be way less hassle at the very least.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It looks like my Scotland trip is going to be in the middle of the Scottish rain season (how many months per year was that again)?

I'm going to enjoy my mountain hike in that weather.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TequilaJesus posted:

Hey! Tell me about visiting Copenhagen. My Danish-American father in law wants to see it, and I'd be along for the ride.

There's a lot of cool stuff in Copenhagen. First of, the national museum is free to visit so that's cool if you are interested in that.
You can visit the Carlsberg brewery if you like.

The Tivoli theme park in the middle of the city is famous of course.

Other than that, things every tourist visits are the royal palaces (or at least they walk around them), the Round Tower, and the Church of Our Savior, the last of which has a tower with a spiral staircase on the outside, so that's fun to climb.

There's also a lot of stuff about HC Andersen. There's a Ripley's Believe it Or Not about him - so if you've ever been to any Ripley's, you know what to expect. Of course there's the little mermaid statue which is tiny and boring and always surrounded by Asian tourists. What I also found interesting was seeing the graves of Andersen and some other famous Danes such as Niels Bohr and Kierkegaard on the graveyard.

If you're interested in that, you can take a ferry to the harbor area across the water. Over there you can get a tour on a large military ship and in a military submarine.

But to me, by far the most interesting part of Copenhagen is Christiania, which is an area that declared itself independent, and for the most part the Danish authorities let them be. It feels like a sort of hippie town. In the main street of Christiania, there's always people selling weed, which is illegal in Denmark, so keep your camera out of sight or they might beat you up. Christiania might get a bit shady at night, but it's cool to visit during the day, especially if you walk all the way to the back part which is a forested area with the occassional house built by people with no sense of architecture. When I was there, I took the tour which they offer once a day in weekends. That's completely unorganized, just wait near the main entrance of the area at 3 pm and some random person will show up and tell you they are the tour guide.

Just know that Christiania is barely connected to anything (many houses don't even have electricity - the whole place is quite sad in many ways), so make sure to bring cash change if you want to take the tour or if you want to buy a drink at one of the cafes.

Other than that, places to see are Strøget, a long pedestrian-only shopping street that often has street performers, and Nyhavn, the harbor area with nice colourful buildings. Plenty of good pubs and restaurants too - make sure to try Smørrebrød, the Danish open-faced sandwich full of delicious toppings.

If you have any time left, I can recommend renting a bike. Copenhagen, and Denmark in general, is very bike-friendly. There's separated bike paths in most places, and that way you can explore some of the countryside around Copenhagen. Another option, while you're in the Schengen zone anyway, is take a quick train trip to Sweden. Malmö is the first city on the other side of the border. It isn't too interesting but it does have a nice couple of museums. And after your ears are bleeding from the Danish language, hearing Swedish for a few hours is a huge relief. Just remember that Danish Kroner (the currency) is different from Swedish Krona.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 9, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

For sure, but that's something that you wouldn't do at home either. The "dangerous" rumors start because someone went to another country and decided to have a day off from common sense, then tried to blame the country rather than taking any blame themselves.

Also if you have to believe the US government site that has a page per country about what Americans should consider before visiting it, they make it sound that you'll get mugged in literally any country that's not the USA.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

liz posted:

Hiking in the rain is not ideal, but we had a day on Skye that was completely miserable weather wise but gorgeous in terms of atmosphere... We went to Neist Point and it was so foggy you could only see things once you got close to them but it was actually really neat and spooky.

I just returned from a week in Scotland. I actually had great weather. There was one rainy day, dry/sunny otherwise. Beautiful landscape in the Highlands and on Skye.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

HookShot posted:

There's "more to see" in the sense that you can walk along the Seine a bit and go to Ile de la Cite, whereas in the 18th you can walk up to Scare-Coeur and get a pretty good look over Paris. They're just different areas. Plus it's probably about ten minutes less train total to get off at Gare du Nord, which on his schedule will actually make a difference.

Just watch your wallets around the sacre-coeur and don't get intimidated by those assholes distracting you by literally grabbing you and trying to put a lovely bracelet around your wrist and making you pay for it while their companion steals your stuff. If you appear like you're gonna get violent at them they gently caress off quickly.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What do you folks think of the reviews on google maps? Are those trustworthy at all?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

webmeister posted:

Yeah I agree with that - if the number is good with a decent number of ratings/reviews I'll give it a shot, though it's not my first stop for recommendations.
And as another plus - I don't think they're as heavily manipulated as TripAdvisor and Yelp sometimes seems to be.

Since my work involves posting video reviews of tourist attractions, one of my guilty pleasures is going to a really famous spot's Facebook/whatever page and looking at the 1-star reviews because they're always incredible.

edit; I'm talking Statue of Liberty/Tower of London/Brandenburg Gate level of famous, not "our ribs are the most famous in all of Bumfuck County" level.

Google reviews for random non-public buildings are always the best.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Contract Otter posted:

Me and my future wife are leaving for a week's holiday to Bruges, Belgium for our honeymoon in two and a half weeks and are looking for recommendations on what to do when we're there. We have a hotel booked in Bruges and the plan is to do some day trips, maybe to Ghent and Antwerp. We enjoy comfort, food, beer and nature so the travel plan so far leans quite heavily on restaurants, cafés and general sightseeing. Also, I hear there's a decent zoo in Antwerp so we'll look into that. Besides all this, is there anything special worth seeing around the area?

Most of the (wild) nature is in the south-east of Belgium (the Ardennes), but if you're looking for something nature-y to do near Bruges, there's nature reserve the Zwin, at the place where the Dutch border ends in the sea. http://www.zwin.be/en/home

There's sadly not much in the way of nature left along the rest of the Belgian coast, it's one long row of hotels and resorts. But if you do like the coast you could visit a bunch of the coastal villages using the hop-on-hop-off tram they've got going along the entire Belgian coastline.

I don't know what your travel options are, but another day trip you could consider is to Lille, just across the French border. It's another pretty old town, and Lille happens to have a zoo that's completely free to visit. Just note that Dutch-speaking Belgians refer to some French places using Dutch names, and you might even see this on signs, bus schedules, etc. And Lille is especially difficult because its Dutch name is spelled "Rijssel". If you get confused, just ask. Most Belgians speak fine English.

There are other places in that general area - actually many Belgian towns have a nice historic center and are cool to visit if you got enough time. Ypres/Ieper comes to mind, but mostly because it's well known for its WW1 battles and has a museum on life in the trenches that is rather impressing. Might not be the best honeymoon visit, though, unless you have an interest in history.

You won't have any problem finding good food/restaurants anywhere in Belgium. And speaking of beer - make sure to look for the little windows in the ground in Bruges that shows pipes running under them. This is a new project they finished last year. There's beer running through these pipes, from the old brewery in the inner city to the bottling plant outside. Much more convenient than having heavy trucks going through the narrow streets to the old brewery.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Contract Otter posted:

We watched this in preparation and loved it, looking forward to seeing all that beautiful fairytale stuff!

Thanks for the recommendations - Zwin and Ypres look promising and there's nothing stopping us from doing a day trip to France either. It looks like you can get from Bruges to Lille in under two hours and 20€ by train. Although there might be a bit of a language barrier since we don't know any french and I understand the French are not so keen on speaking English.

Many younger French people speak English well, but in general, the French want to see you *try*. So if you just learn the French sentence for "excuse me, do you speak English?" you can start conversations with that and then if they say "yes" you can just switch to English.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Contract Otter posted:

We're staying in Bruges and doing day trips - we thought of moving around every couple days but we like comfort too much to travel with luggage and switch hotels every other day. And no car or youth discounts for us, unfortunately but an Internet browse gives the impression of decently working train and bus network.

Any tips on traps for tourists to avoid? I saw someone complain about waffle houses selling rubbish to tourists and basically being fronts to drug businesses - can we with good conscience indulge in the slightly clichéd touristy things like belgian waffles and chocolate?

In my experience, waffle places in Belgium are perfectly fine. Just look for a sort of cafe or restaurant where you can sit down and get a waffle with your coffee. Entropist is talking about take-away places, yeah those are crap. I mean there's nothing wrong with going to Leuven, but going there *just* for waffles while you can get pretty good waffles in every Belgian town? That's a bit silly.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You could also visit the Hunebedden in eastern Netherlands. Those were ancient burial sites or something but they kinda look like 'houses' made from huge rocks. At least the ones still standing up.

webmeister posted:

I'm actually going to buck the trend on this one, I think Stonehenge should be visited. Yeah it's definitely way overpriced for what it is (though to be fair almost every historical site in England is ludicrously priced, particularly once you add in parking charges), but if you're at all interested then go and check them out.

The walking path goes pretty close (2-3 metres) in a couple of spots, and the place where tight-arses peer over the fence is actually near one of the more distant points on the path. Yeah it's only just behind the path, but it's still a lovely view and you'll have people constantly in front of you. And yeah if you don't really care that much then sure, just drive past on the motorway.

I was actually pretty skeptical going in, but after doing the new visitor's centre and the full visit for my video I actually respect what they're doing. Since it was obviously a super-sacred site to the ancient people (whether for burials, astronomy, religion or whatever), they want to return it to as close to that as possible - a bunch of stones, standing alone in a field in the middle of a plain. And interestingly, it actually wasn't damage to the stones that caused it to get closed originally - it was damage to the grass. Thousands of people trampling the grass every day was causing huge amounts of soil erosion and destabilising the stones.

If you want to touch stones, head 20 minutes up the road to Avebury and touch to your heart's content!

Honestly, I enjoyed my visit, too. It wasn't all that crowded - I think it's fine if you go outside of the summer vacation period? And an audio tour is included, which actually comes in like 20 different languages. Main thing I remember is the two stones you can touch, one that's local, and one that's from Wales where the other Stonehenge stones came from. They believe the Welsh stones were chosen by the ancients because they "always feel warm to the touch, no matter the climate". I remember this because the audio tour left this as some kind of big miracle, and I felt real stupid afterward because I didn't realize right then and there that was of course because of a difference in heat conductivity.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hey folks,

I will have a day or two to spend in Luxemburg soon. I'd like to spend some time in the capital city but also in the countryside. I'll have a car available so travel is easy.

Any recommendations?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bollock Monkey posted:

I just got back from Amsterdam yesterday! It is such a great brewery. Made sure to drink Zatte en Natte on my trip, and tried their Ijswit for the first time. I can recommend Gollem's proeflokaal (tasting room, basically) on Overtoom if you want more good beer, or Arendsnest more centrally. Both have a really nice vibe and helpful staff.

:spergin: In the Dutch language, ij is often considered a single letter, and should be capitalized as one. IJwit. Not Ijwit.

slijterij

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 21, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In fact, the name of the beer is a bit of a double pun. Eiwit is the Dutch word meaning both 'protein' and 'egg white'. It's pronounced exactly the same as the beer name IJwit. The IJ is the name of the wide river thing that connects Amsterdam to the lake, while wit means 'white'.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

They said in the news today that a group of people in Barcelona is so sick of tourists that they have been vandalizing rental bicycles for tourists and recently masked men attacked a tourist bus for no other reason.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

webmeister posted:

The best thing about Amsterdam is that it keeps every other place in the country tourist-free! I actually just spent two weeks on the outskirts of Amsterdam and visiting various parts of the Netherlands, and aside from the windmills at Kinderdijk there were hardly any tourists anywhere. Two days maximum in Amsterdam I reckon, one for wandering the canals and another for the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museums (the latter was way too crowded imo), then spend the rest of the time checking out the beautiful countryside.

But honestly, I think mass tourism has far worse impacts on smaller places than larger ones. Imagine trying to live in a small town in Cornwall or coastal Ireland (or Croatia or anywhere on the Med coast really), and being swarmed by rich assholes several months of the year.

I think it's cool you actually checked out the Good (i.e. non-Amsterdam) parts of the Netherlands.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Waci posted:

Hi I'm flying to New York for 3 days, should I fit in a day-trip to Toronto?

Hahaha, that's a good way to put it. I need to remember that one.

Anyway, what I came to say is that the Dutch theme park Efteling, a park that is generally loved by Dutch people of all ages, partially because of nostalgia reasons and partially because it's actually That Good, has been announced as the Best Park in the world 2017 by Theme Park Insider. http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201707/5631/

Efteling is a beautiful park, with lots of space for trees, flowers, nature in general. They originally started as a 'fairy tale park' with animatronics playing out the stories of famous fairy tales and with all the buildings and such designed in a quite 'romantic' way by artist Anton Pieck. Nowadays, it is somewhat similar to the Disney parks in that it has a bunch of roller coasters, but also a bunch of really good 'dark rides' (the slow ones where you're taken through a bunch of pretty scenes), while the fairy tale park is also still being expanded. And nearly every ride is really strongly themed around some fairy tale or other story. For instance the Flying Dutchman coaster has one of the prettiest waiting lines you'll ever see, it feels like you're actually standing in a 17th century harbor (but without the bad smells).

So if you are a theme park fan and you have one or two days to spare while you're in the neighbourhood, Efteling is a very good choice. I'd easily suggest that over Disneyland Paris.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 15, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

actionjackson posted:

Hello,

My trip to Austria and Italy is coming up and I had a couple questions, one specific and one general.

The specific one is about taking a day trip from Vienna to Bratislava. Has anyone here been to the latter? It sounds pretty interesting, and besides the train (which only takes one hour) you can take a boat there on the Danube, which sounds really awesome. I'm also wondering if I'd run into major language issues if I went there (I certainly don't speak Slovak!).

My general question is about protecting my phone when I'm on this trip. I'm worried about losing it, or perhaps it being stolen which would screw me over completely. Would something like a lanyard that goes through the phone case be a good idea?

I've been to Bratislava a quarter century ago, when they were still recovering from communist rule. It was a pretty city but my mother's wallet was stolen when we walked through a pedestrian walkway of an ancient city gate. When we were in the middle of the narrow walkway suddenly it filled up with a huge crowd of people and by the time we had wormed through them they'd emptied our bags.

I haven't been there since, so I have no idea if that trick still exists.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

It's incredibly easy to avoid being robbed in Europe if you're sensible about it. Keep valuables in front (or ideally interior) pockets, don't flash them about, be wary in large crowds and on public transport, don't leave your phone out while you're eating, etc etc. Basically it's the same precautions you'd use at home,but for some reason a lot of Americans seem to think that Europe is packed to the brim with pickpockets and muggers who'll converge on them the moment they step off the plane.

That's because the USA's gov website with international travel advices basically implies that this is the case if you look up the travel advice for any European country.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Waroduce posted:

My parents are looking for recommendations to stay in Paris. Cleanliness is absolutely paramount and they would like to be under 200$ prefer around 150$ a night. Apart from that close to tourist sights is good as they have no transportation.They will also have to get to the airport at some point for a flight to rome.

Apart from that they are open to anything old new modern whatever.

Can you suggest either some hotels or neighborhoods for airbnb? They are reluctant to use airbnb though

If you want a basic, cheap but reasonable-quality hotel anywhere in Europe (or even worldwide?), go for Ibis Budget. Every Ibis Budget hotel is exactly the same with exactly the same rooms, so you know what to expect, which is clean rooms that have a bed, tv, bathroom and nothing much else. Nothing fancy but certainly nothing offensive.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Saladman posted:

Yeah, everything in Europe will be closed on the 24th (it's a Sunday anyway), 25th, and 26th. 26th is a non-working day in Germany/Austria/Czech/Switzerland/basically everywhere.

Way to generalize stuff. This actually depends per country and in some cases per town. In the Netherlands, near everything is closed on Christmas Day (except for restaurants which are booked full ages in advance), but a bunch of things are open on the day after. Not a lot of stuff though, but most cities got one or two supermarkets which are opened and some touristy attractions are open on the day after Christmas. Probably Ikea too, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The reason I brought it up is because other people might read this thread without posting and might interpret your "everything in Europe" statement wrong.

Anyway, in the Netherlands it's legal to ask people to work on legal holidays as long as they agreed to this when signing their employee contract, and if this is compensated in some way by an extra paid holiday on another day or whatever.

Like, there are theme parks that are open during the entire holiday season, and people working there are asked to work EITHER on the 25th OR on the 26th, so that there's plenty of staff on both days. But it really depends a lot on what the person running the store prefers, and on region. It's less likely to find anything open in the more religious towns.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

My experience with the Rijksmuseum (or the 'rijks', as we like to call it) is that I spent an entire day there and I was just so tired of museuming, I left before I had seen everything. It's huge.

Good to know, there's a small free-to-visit exhibit by the Rijksmuseum, right on the Schiphol terminal, past the security/customs area. It reopened recently after some construction work. If you don't have time for anything else, you can look into checking that out. https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/schiphol

For beers... hell, where to start. There's so many Dutch craft beers these days.

I googled a bit and found an article by Amsterdam newspaper Parool comparing a bunch of Amsterdam cafes with a wide selection of beers. I threw it in Google Translate for you, here's the result:

https://pastebin.com/jKs8v4e8

I suggest just going to one of them and asking the staff for advise. I kinda like the locally-brewed beer from brewery 't IJ, they got quite a diversity of types. But I wouldn't blame you at all if you went for a good Belgian dark beer instead.

Considering dinner, I don't know the Amsterdam restaurant scene all that well. Indonesian-Dutch food is quite good, yeah. Just look for anything called a "Chinese restaurant" or better a "Chinese-Indisch restaurant". Outside of Chinatown, these all serve Indonesian-Dutch food such as Satah (Saté), which is meat with spicy peanut sauce, nasi, bami, etc.

A canal cruise is a neat way to get a quick feel for the city, so yeah you could do that. I don't know about the combination with the pancake restaurant thing, but in my experience most Dutch pancake places are quite good.

Except for one, which isn't in Amsterdam, where I almost broke my teeth on an iron nail that had ended up in the pancake and all the staff did was give me a bad excuse and offer me a free drink. But that's neither here nor there.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 17, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

nwiniwn posted:

Any thoughts? Also, how prevalent is wifi?

Every place to spend the night has free wifi, obviously. If it doesn't nobody would go there. For other places, it depends. Restaurants and the like often have wifi but some of them require you to login with a facebook account through some shady site.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Student associations in my country (the Netherlands) sometimes organize hitchhiking competitions. Basically, you sign up as a pair of students (always a pair, because solo hitchhiking is considered unsafe) and then about 10 mins before the start the contestants get told to which destination they have to hitchhike. Like Copenhagen, or somewhere in a remote corner of France, or whatever. Crossing a couple of countries at the least. And then one by one each pair gets dropped off somewhere at the edge of their city and they have, and the point is to hitchhike to the destination as fast as possible. There's no real reward for winning, except the cool stories you get to share and the fact you get to grab a beer with the organizers who went there ahead of time to welcome you. There's no real incentive to cheat.

I've never heard of a case of anything going wrong, other than people getting stuck in the middle of nowhere halfway there and someone needing to drive out there to go pick 'em up.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

caberham posted:

Pretty much yeah :(

Sort of a random question but I will be stopping by the Netherlands for work. Anyone know a good stroop waffel place? I'm so addicted to them

"I'm going to visit the state of New York. Anyone know a good McDonalds restaurant there? I'm so addicted to them"

Seriously, tell us where you're going and we might have some recommendations. But they sell those things in every supermarket everywhere. Y'know, a ten-pack for 2 eur.
If you want a freshly baked double-sized one, your best chance might be to look for a stall on a touristy market.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 5, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ibntumart posted:

Two more last-minute Swiss questions. First is whether to spend my last several days in Berne or Zürich. Second is whether it would be weird or illegal for me to have a pocket knife walking around town or hiking. I don't want to get in trouble for having an Opinel in my pocket.

They might not like it if you have it on you when going through airport security, so make sure to put it in check-in luggage beforehand.

Also, I've never been to Switzerland but elsewhere in Europe, I've seen security confiscate knives when you enter a tourist attraction that might be a terrorism risk. Happened at the London Eye, years ago.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

gwaarrk posted:

So what is the go to website for planning a trip to Europe hotel booking, flights over ect ect? I'm looking to head to Greece late spring/early summer next year for about a week. Looking to take in all the old poo poo over there. Primarily in the Athens area maybe a trip up to Delphi plus whatever might be suggested

For hotels, it depends if you can stand websites that constantly go HEY BOOK WITHIN 5 MINUTES OR WE'RE SOLD OUT. If you can stand that, booking.com is a decent site. However, I do suggest to actually search the hotels on google, check reviews there, and check if they offer cheaper rooms on their own website. Sometimes not all room types are on booking.com.

I mean, the manual way is, after deciding where you wanna go, just search for hotels / B&Bs in that area on google, check reviews, and book something through the website of the hotel directly. It works.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

nwiniwn posted:

For exchange rates (Coming from the U.S., visiting Munich, Prague, and Salzburg), what are my best bets? I don't have any fees for using my credit card overseas, but I might need Euros or Korunas in hand for some places, I've heard. I do get charged 1% of each ATM withdrawl, but that's not too bad.

Just wondering if using an ATM is going to be my best bet? I don't want to carry a bunch of US cash on me to exchange at random banks, either.

Since the EU switched to the Euro, nearly all exchange offices closed. Most bank offices don't accept foreign cash at all and if they do, it's for a bank deposit, not for an exchange. The only way they hand out cash at all is through ATMs, human tellers are a thing of the past. The employees in bank offices are just there to sell you insurances and to teach people how to use internet banking. There are still cash exchange offices on airports and on some major train hubs, but nowhere else.

Just get your money from an ATM. I think it's possible that the bank that owns the ATM add a flat fee on top of the 1% withdrawal, so in some cases it might be better to use the ATM less times and get larger amounts of money, than to use it often and get smaller amounts. I've never had an issue with that but it's also possible that certain local banks' ATMs refuse foreign cards. Shouldn't usually be a problem because most towns and villages have at least one big brand bank's ATM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

PT6A posted:

Spanish breakfast owns: tomato on bread with jamon, strong coffee and a cigarette. That'll get you ready for the day.

Googled this. Looks like Spain is following along with the rest of Europe by introducing very strict anti-smoking laws, and this has had quite a noticable effect in the last decade or so. However, Spaniards do love their cancer sticks, so a part of the decline in tobacco sales is due to illegal smuggling of the stuff.

Having said that, it looks like the 2011 ban of smoking in cafes and restaurants has improved air quality a lot and people with asthma or otherwise sensitive lungs can finally breathe normally in restaurants. As a compensation, though, many restaurants installed year-round outdoors seating where the use of cancer sticks is allowed.

With that attitude, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the more rural restaurants don't quite follow the laws.