Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

I'm going to be spending 4 days in Lisbon in the beginning of February, what are some fun things to do? I'm staying near Rossio square and my interests include drinking, buying too many books, visiting historical poo poo and chilling on the beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

BonHair posted:

I'm planning a trip with my girlfriend to Belgium, probably Gent, Brügge and maybe a bit of Bruxelles, totaling ten days in July. What general things do we want to see, and specifically which beers do we want to try at which breweries and monasteries? We're thinking of renting bikes to get around, is that feasible? We're also looking for cheap-ish places to stay or basically anything worth knowing about the area.

don't miss out on the awesomeness that is Antwerp, the only city in Belgium

eta: Brugge is a Disneyland version of a medieval town but nothing there is actually older than like the 1900s, Gent is nice but full of drunk student admittedly less so in the summer) and Brussels is also nice but you can see it in a day or so

Grillfiend fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 8, 2016

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

BonHair posted:

So, Antwerpen is happening, what are the best places to eat and see?

to eat I recommend Kaiseki nearby the central station. All you can eat sushi and teriyaki

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Skip Brussels and Ghent and go to Antwerp imho

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

How easy is it to get around on Crete when you don't speak Greek and don't drive? I'm planning a short trip for the Fall and one of my options is Heraklion/Knossos.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Saladman posted:

In addition to the non-EU line and the automated passport scanners, most airports in Europe that I've been through recently also have the traditional "EU only" lines that are still manned by normal people and are functionally identical to the non-EU lines. Under-18s are not allowed to use the automated passport scanners — I'm not sure if that's universal or on a country-by-country basis but for sure in Switzerland they cannot. IME airports always still have a special EU line so that EU citizens with children don't have to brush shoulders with the masses in the line for unwashed foreigners.

this is also because some EU countries have national ID cards that are valid travel documentation in the EU and Schengen zone, so for example a Belgian travelling to Spain wouldn't necessarily have a passport to scan.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

PT6A posted:

I didn't think there was passport control of any kind between Schengen countries, only when entering or leaving the Schengen zone.

they still check your identity when flying "to combat terrorism"

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any recommendations for sightseeing in Tavira or Southern Portugal in general? Going on a family trip and I'm kind of of a history/architecture nerd, so anything Moorish/Roman is interesting.

Also any lesser known sights in Lisbon or restaurants to recommend in Lisbon? I've already spent some time there and seen most of the major landmarks. Definitely going back to MAAT, but don't have any other plans.

definitely do a day trip to Sintra (a few hours by train from Lisbon) if you haven't been yet

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

I'll be going to Roskilde for a music festival in April so obviously I'll want to spend a few days checking out Copenhagen. What are some must-sees or must-dos there?

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Just booked a flight into Lisbon and then out 3 weeks later; late June to mid July. Everything still needs to be filled in beyond that. Thinking of a few days in Porto, then heading south along the coast through to Faro. Probably train from Porto to Lisbon, and then maybe rent a car for the rest of it? How's driving in Portugal?
I'm happy to take any advice on poo poo to see/do/avoid.
The wife and I have open minds to do whatever, though I'm biased towards hanging out near the water.
I'd like to dip into Cadiz and Gibraltar but we'll see. Flights throughout Europe are cheap too so we could always visit friends and family for a weekend in Poland/Germany if 3 weeks is too much in Portugal.

I would definitely second (third?) taking a day or two to explore Sintra, also want to add Cascais/Estoril as an easy day trip from Lisbon, would recommend trying to catch the sunset at the Boca do Inferno.

WaryWarren posted:

I took Flixbus from Trieste to Zagreb, and then from Zagreb to Ljubljana. It was fine, despite a few of my Euro friends laughing at me when I told them my plans.

Last year i took a flixbus from Antwerp to Copenhagen once and it was fine, took nearly a day though (with a transfer at Hannover iirc); looked into trying the same to get to Porto but 40 hours is a bit too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Bit of a weird question, I'm European but I've never flown to/through Madrid. I'm looking at flights to NYC in November and one of the options has an 18hr layover in Madrid (arriving there in the evening and flying out again in the afternoon). I don't know the airport and the local public transport, how feasible would it be to get there, get to a hotel to sleep and then spend the morning in Madrid before getting back to the airport to fly out? And what would be some must-sees that can be done in the morning?