Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Pizer posted:

Does anyone know how residency works vis-a-vee the rail passes?

I've lived in Germany for the past 10 months but only one a 1 year visa, as a student. Can I declare my residency as American and then have, say, a German Rail Pass shipped from America?

There seems to be some confusion regarding that sometimes you are considered a resident if you live in Europe for more than 6 months

As far as I know, they only ship to US addresses. Just put your US address there and have someone ship it over. I've done it before for a friend when he was in Germany and it worked fine. He had it shipped to my address and I forwarded it to him.

By the way, just to warn anyone, if you buy from Eurail.com, your bank might charge you a $9 international transaction fee, even though they CLEARLY state on their site that they have a "US fulfillment center" and that their Netherlands side of the business doesn't do any direct business with customers. I have a support ticket in with them as well as Bank of America right now trying to sort this out, so if anyone has had a similar experience, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Sai posted:

Once every five years SAIL Amsterdam is held, the largest festival in the world centered around old ships and maritime history. From the 19th to the 23rd of august it's here again. If you like huge historical ships, just spending time on the water and European history it's a good time. It'll probably be hard to get a hotel in that time, but if you're still looking to fill a couple days in your European vacation it's worth trying.

Oh HELL yes! I'm in Amsterdam on the 22nd!

So I already asked this in the Dutch thread, but can anyone recommend me things to do, places to stay, and awesome events in the following cities?
Sunday, August 22: Amsterdam
Monday, August 23: Groningen
Tuesday, August 24: Groningen
Wednesday, August 25: Den Haag
Thursday, August 26: Den Haag
Friday, August 27: Antwerpen
Saturday, August 28: Antwerpen
Sunday, August 29: Gent
Monday, August 30: Brugge
Tuesday, August 31: Brugge
Wednesday, September 1: Maastricht
Thursday, September 2: Maastricht

Liface fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 8, 2010

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn
Note for anyone who's getting the X days in X months Eurail pass, if you don't fill out the day and your planned destination in advance, some of the ticket checkers get pissed. Especially in Belgium.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Fists Up posted:

Other than Madrid and Barcelona what are some good places to see in Spain?

Coming through from the south of france with around 2 weeks of travelling.

Places I've briefly looked at include Granada and Zaragoza. What about some of the islands scattered about? Anyone been to Andorra?

You could probably lump in portugal as well (and add a few days)

Valencia!

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Fists Up posted:

Reasons/specifics?

Ciudad de las Artes y las de Ciencias, the giant park that runs through town in the riverbed, and the nice people.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Fists Up posted:

Also whats the cheapest airline to fly to Iceland?

It varies. Just use https://www.kayak.com to use the cheapest fare.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

smackfu posted:

OK, I managed to book at least the first two legs of my trip, because I was getting a little panicky about how the "low-cost" airfares were jumping up in price every day.

So, Dublin or Munich hostel suggestions?

Dublin Bunkhouse.

Seconding Wombat's!

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Corbet posted:

Does anyone have any tips/advice on someone who is looking to visit western Europe alone? Is it recommended? I have a huge desire to spend a 1-2 months traveling to Berlin, Vienna, Amsterdam, Paris, London, and anywhere in between. The issue is the fact that none of my friends have the desire (or money) to take a trip like this.

Should I even bother trying?

Alone > with friends.

You meet people easier, you have total freedom of what you're doing, and you have no one to bicker with but your inner monologue.

I always travel alone.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Doctor Malaver posted:

Things happen during travel and you want to share them with people close to you. What will you do, post on Facebook? Who will you turn to when you get bored, depressed or sick? It wouldn't be an issue if you traveled a week, but two months is a long time.

This is a good point, but personally I don't feel like I have to share my experiences with someone to revel in them. That's why I'm not constantly updating my Facebook status for approval, I guess. I don't feel like I need to take advantage of another person just because I'm feeling bored, depressed, or sick.

Overall, your assessment that it is a personality issue is bang on. I'm an only child, that probably has a lot to do with it. :)

enki42 posted:

One thing I've found when travelling solo is that your choice of hostel makes a much bigger difference on how much you'll enjoy a place. If you're with friends, and your hostel is the quiet type of place that everyone just uses as a place to sleep, it's not really that big a deal. If you're relying on your hostel to have a place to meet and chat with people, it can make for a pretty boring night.

You definitely want to err on the side of "party hostel", even if you're not looking to get shitfaced with Australian teenagers every night. Because typically even the biggest party hostels will have a lot more friendly chill, non-crazy drinkers than the HI-type places.

Seconding this. Sterile hostels are really lame when traveling alone.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Umbriago posted:

I'm considering backpacking in Spain in the summer, during which time I need internet access so that I can apply for work while I'm out there. What's the public access to wifi internet like? I'd prefer to camp and bring my laptop into cafes and libraries etc., but if public access to wifi is poo poo then I might have to stop in hostels with internet access.

In the UK I can plonk myself in McDonalds for and use their wireless internet for free if I was so inclined, I want to know if there's anything like that out in Spain.

From what I've noticed, people in Europe seem to be a lot smarter about locking down their home wireless networks. In the U.S., you can get a couple on pretty much every block.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

jeoh-kun posted:

Stayokay is generally pretty cheap, especially if you're booking for a longer time. If you're willing to share a room with drunken British students, of course.

I really didn't like any of the Stayokay locations in the Netherlands. They're super clean and well-run, but they have no culture at all.

If you've got a couple friends with you and aren't looking to spend any time in the hostel it's fine, but if you want to meet people, you'll have a hard time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Matty D posted:

How necessary do you guys view a product like this: http://astore.amazon.com/thesav02-20/detail/B0009U7RCK
I live and work in Chicago and seeing tourists use these has been generally met with rolling eyes, mostly at how blatant it stamps the "I'M A TOURIST WHAT'S GOING ON" label on their forehead. At the same time I don't want to get robbed blind.

I used money belts for a while until I realized it was weird to be reaching into my crotch to pay people at stores. I switched back to using a wallet and have no problems.