Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
My wife and I are landing in Paris on December 19th. We've got two full days there; we're thinking of doing Eiffel Tower/walking around Paris on one day, then Versailles on the other day.

We've got a day scheduled to travel to Freiburg to see some friends, and we'll be there through Christmas day. Christmas afternoon we're driving to Hohenschwangau to see Castle Neuschwanstein on the 26th. 27th we're in Munich, and then we go to Vienna.

We'll be in Vienna for four days, specifically to attend the KaiserBall on New Year's Eve.

We mainly need recommendations for what to do on the free day in Paris, what to do in Munich for a day, and most importantly what to do in Vienna for our three free days.

Also, can we get away with a good coat and regular pants, or should we have long underwear on underneath? We're trying to keep our packing to a carry-on and personal bag each, so recommendations on essential clothing would be really great.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

enki42 posted:

Stuff

Thanks for the recommendations! Honestly we're only in Paris in the first place because it was way cheaper to fly there than to Germany. We'll for sure take another trip someday to really see France, but this time we just want to make the most of the two days we have.

My wife is a big history buff, and we both just finished reading Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, which takes place a lot in Versailles, so it's just a personal interest thing.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Speaking of Versailles...how do we get there? Are there shuttles? Taxi? We're just getting into day-to-day planning and I hadn't looked into that yet.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Well, that's awesome. Honestly, I'm super excited to see the public transportation options available in all the cities we'll be visiting. From this example alone they clearly blow away even the Bay Area, which has one of the best PT systems in the US.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
All runways at Heathrow are closed, and BA's call centers are completely swamped. Well, this is why we bought travel insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Suntory BOSS posted:

Nope...

edit; VVV Thanks a ton, I also checked the weather and came to the same tentative, hopeful conclusion. Fingers crossed...

Just a Note: this trip has taught me to ALWAYS buy travel insurance. I bought $6,000 in coverage for $125. Its now going to cover the $470 for our three nights of unrefundable hotel nights in Paris, $300 for a replacement train ticket to get us to Freiburg and $90 our new hotel in Paris for the one night we're now going to be stuck there. Plus any more issues we have up to $6000.

Best. Purchase. Ever.