Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I'm going to Salzburg for MLK weekend 2011, and I cannot figure out the trains. I am flying into MUC and plan to take a train from MUC to Salzburg, but when I attempt to use bahn.de I am told that'll be $120 US round trip.

For reasons that are unknown to me at the moment, this seems excessive. Am I missing something and is there some key to lower train fares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

enki42 posted:

That actually sounds about right. Keep in mind you're crossing a border, so a lot of the really good deals aren't going to be relevant for you. There's a really good deal in Austria where you can get unlimited travel on regional (slow) trains for 27 Euro for up to 5 people outside of rush hours, but that wouldn't really help you for a Munich to Salzburg trip, particularly if you're on your own.

Well, poo poo. Thanks for the insight in any event. I am going with a group; every MLK weekend is Beer in Europe weekend. 2009 was BRU, 2010 was PRG, and 2011 is SZG. Perhaps we'll fork over for a car and pile a bunch of us into it. I have some pretty mean Avis discounts. We'll see what happens.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Croatia.

Specifically Zagreb and the surrounding area. My wife and I are going with a group of friends in mid January 2013 for the express purpose of drinking beer and seeing what the hell else is in Zagreb. Does anyone have a list of poo poo to do/see or anything else nifty that will be open that time of year?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Yes, here you go:

<end list>

That's probably the worst time of the year to be here. Don't come. I would expect that you have some other motive to travel to Croatia in January of all times, but you say that your express purpose is tourism? With the Christmas shopping and New Year craziness over, you will visit a depressed city that's cold and broke.

But OK I'll do my best... Go hiking on the Medvednica mountain, there will be snow and rudimentary skiing facilities. Take a walk through the old Upper Town, warm yourself up with some cooked wine with cloves. Beer is also popular but local brands are nothing special. The seaside is only a couple of hours drive away, but it will be deserted and windy. Slovenian ski resorts are the same distance away. There's also usual stuff like clubs, museums, January shopping discounts...

Heh, I sort of figured as much. My friends and I do this every January at a different European location. First time was Prague, then Salzburg, then Stockholm, and now Zagreb for 2013. We're only there Friday-Sunday, so it's not a ton of time to burn up. While I realize stuff will be closed, my hope is that there is enough open to take up the time not spent drinking.

Any notable bars/pubs and restaurants to check out are welcome as well.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Doctor Malaver posted:

If you went to a seaside destination, like steinrokkan suggests, lots of stuff would be closed. Not Zagreb, though. Everything will be open - it's just that there aren't that many interesting things to see. On the other hand, you've already been to Salzburg which is six times smaller than Zagreb so it won't be any worse.

I recommend Didov San, a restaurant in the old upper town. Interesting food, authentic-looking place, not very expensive. Might want to make a reservation couple of days before you arrive.

My favorite bar is Svijet stripa - a place covered floor to ceiling in comic book characters. Shelves full of comics to pick and read, and every Saturday night excellent acoustic concerts. A relaxing place, not crowded at all.

Tkalciceva street, which connects to the main square, has dozens of bars. My recommendation there would be Cica (read: tzeetza). A great selection of rakija, good music. It's just very tiny, so likely to be full.

Thanks for that; it is exceedingly helpful. :)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
The EU has maps and data available here as country policies change: https://reopen.europa.eu/en/

Other languages available for those that need them.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
They're close enough together than you can do both. A few years back I took a trip up in the 'Dorf with a friend and spent a day in Cologne on the way out and enjoyed both the alt and the kolsch beers and the cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

dms666 posted:

We just got back from 11 days where we visited Sao Miguel, Pico, and Flores islands. Such a beautiful chain of islands. We were there at a time of year that it can be foggy almost every day, so you had to watch the webcams to see what was clear if you wanted to view the gorgeous lakes. I would definitely rent a car on Sao Miguel since there is so much to see. We did a few activities like whale watching, canyoning, and a general island tour of Flores since there weren't any rental cars available there. Flores was definitely very quiet, but the most beautiful nature-wise. It had tons of waterfalls, sea caves, and cliffs.

The food was overall pretty delicious and relatively cheap. I think I had a different type of fish almost every day. Their beef is good and plentiful as well since the islands have more cows than people. The constant sides of boiled potatoes or fries do get tiring though...

One unique thing I liked was that just about every town has natural swimming pools at their coastline. They were either a swimming pool that the ocean fills or a natural pool that the lava rocks form and provide a buffer to the tide. They were usually decent snorkel spots as well.

Overall I would definitely like to return to see more of the other islands and especially if I ever decide to take up diving. It apparently has a few amazing dive sites for manta rays among other things.

Please stop telling people about how awesome the Azores is before I can go back for another trip, thanks so much.