Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Sand Monster posted:

What is the weather like in Central Europe in early spring? I'm trying to decide when to go, but April keeps coming up as a strong possibility. I prefer temperatures in the mid 50s or so, which is probably what the weather would be like here in the states at that time. Is spring in bloom then? I want to see green!

Could you be more specific about where? Central Europe is a big place (especially if you're the Lithuanian guy I met who insisted that Vilnius was the geographical center of Europe). It has continental weather so it can be unsettled here (Geneva) around April but there will be some nice days and it should be 50-60ish.

You can check weather history here: http://www.wunderground.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

And while Russian and/or German were the only languages taught at schools in previous generations, now students have a choice and a lot of them see English as their ticket to money and success.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I moved from the States to Europe almost 7 years ago (first to Ireland, then to Switzerland) and other than the language, things are the same but slower. It's tough to eat lunch in a sit-down restaurant in under an hour. If you order a big TV or a refrigerator it might take over a week for delivery. Shops close at 6pm and don't open on Sunday. If you aren't somebody who always has to get everything done now now now, and can adjust to the opening times then that's basically it.

You'll have to do without a few of your favorite things, especially various ethnic foods (why are good burritos so hard to find in Europe?) but if you moved across the country you'd have to find new favorite restaurants, new game shops, new organic food markets, etc. anyway. You might also have to adjust to 4-6 weeks holiday but I'm guessing you've prepared yourself for that.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Macrame_God posted:

Yeah, I've read somewhere that the best Mexican food in Europe is barely average compared to what you can get in America. That sucks. Still, I heard that there are some killer places to eat in Belgium, especially if you like Italian.

So there are no Wal-Mart type establishments in that part of the world, eh? That's certainly not a deal killer, but it would be lame to lose that degree of convienience. Then again, I'm a third shift worker so I'm used to taking advantage of things like that.

There won't be anything nearly that size, but most towns have some sort of mega store usually on the outskirts that will do for one-stop-shopping convenience if that's what you're after. Small independent shops are much better developed here compared to most towns in the States. Local butchers for example are well worth checking out. Clothing/games/comics/bikes/just about all kinds of shops have been around for years and have developed a customer base and know their products very well. They might not all be in one place, and there might not be more than one good guitar shop, but that guy will be able to get you whatever you need.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ziir posted:

I'm moving to Germany from America for several years. What do I need to do regarding my driver's license? I don't plan on driving too much as I won't have a car, but I'd like the option to rent one and go on a cruise throughout the countryside and/or other countries.

Edit: There's no local AAA office nearby where I'm at (parent's small town) and I only have 3 more weeks left so order by mail is most likely impossible.

Just bring your valid driver's license and the swap will happen in Germany. Your US license will probably be valid for at least a year six months.

SeamlessLink posted:

1) Where is the best place to exchange money? My friend went to the bank and ordered Euros (took like two days or so) at a rate of 1.41 USD:EUR. Google said it was at 1.32. I didn't know if he got slightly screwed on the exchange rate and am assuming that there are places in Europe that will exchange currency at a better rate.

ATMs. You won't get the "official" rate anywhere, that's how banks trade with each other. You'll have ATM fees from your bank, so take out $200+ at a time and keep the spare cash in a money belt or shoe or something.

quote:

2) I have an iPhone 3GS, and would *like* to bring it to europe (to use as an ipod, apps, and the built in GPS/internet) but I hear (from my friend at an AT&T store, who said I needed to call AT&T international to even learn about it) it's ridiculously expensive. If anyone has knowledge offhand about it, it'd be great but this is something I need to research on my own and am fine doing that. If that's a retardedly expensive option, I planned on getting a pre-paid international phone. Does anyone have any recommendations for that?

Data roaming rates are insane. If I leave Switzerland data is €13.80/MB (EU countries agreed lower roaming fees but the Swiss didn't). You're going to be traveling through so many countries you'll be roaming on whatever phone you get so if you turn data off and just send texts it'll probably be the cheapest option.

quote:

4) Electrical outlets. Assuming I bring my GPS, my iPhone, or another portable mp3 player, how the hell do I charge things? Everyone tells me that *every* outlet in Europe is the crazy European style and I won't be able to charge things. However nobody I know has ever traveled to Europe.

Get a universal adapter because plugs in Britain and Ireland are different than the plugs on the continent. NoSpoon has a good tip about the power strip, then you only need one adapter for 4 devices.

quote:

Edit: Also cash vs. credit. I have a Visa card and a TD debit card.. I've gotta talk to both and see if there's charges and such for using them outside of the country, but does anyone know offhand?

There are charges (check with your bank) but we use the chip and PIN system here. If you've got one of those old cards that you swipe and sign some places may not take them. Make sure your debit card has Cirrus or Maestro on the back if you want to use it here.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ziir posted:

My driver's license from Arizona doesn't expire until I'm 65...

:hfive: my picture looks nothing like me and it's falling apart but it's good for another 30 years!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Every Man Jack posted:

I'm planning a trip to Europe this November through December and could use some advice from more experienced/knowledgeable goons (which is most of you).

My girlfriend and I finish up teaching in South Korea on November 19th, and have the following basic plan so far.

November 20th-23rd - fly into Frankfurt via Air China (Any horror stories about them?)and sightsee

November 24th-26th - Go to Heidelberg

November 27th-29th - Go to Munich

November 30th - Daytrip to Fussen, then head on to Vienna

December 1st-2nd - Vienna

December 3rd-4th - Prague

December 5th - Kutna Hora

December 6th-8th - Berlin

December 9th-11th - Hamburg

December 12th-16th - Belgium

December 17th-22nd - Paris

I am worried about the lack of time we're spending in Vienna and Prague. Where can I cut from our schedule? Belgium is a long as it is, because I will be visiting family there, so it can't really be hacked any shorter.

Also, is there any must see things in these cities? I have most of the usual suspects, but is there anything hidden, or off the beaten track that you consider essential?

What's your schedule like before and after the trip? Are you working right up to the flight? Are you also tying up all the loose ends and leaving Korea? Do you have jobs waiting for you when you get back? My point is, do you want/need a relaxing vacation or is it a once-in-a-lifetime-must-see-everything kind of trip?

Personally I prefer my holidays on the relaxing side. So I hope you haven't already booked flights for all those days. Keep in mind that every day you fly you also need to get to and from an airport and check in at a new hotel so you're looking at about 9 days of schlepping through airports.

I would decide which 5 cities were the absolute must do's on the list. Berlin, Munich, Prague, Brussels, Paris for example. Get your guidebooks now and figure out what you want to do in each. When you're done, go buy a train ticket and go to the next place. If you're on a schedule you get pissed when things are closed, you rush from place to place, etc. And poo poo gets expensive if you miss a flight.

I always find the most memorable parts of my holidays are the unstructured bits where I just stumble upon something that wasn't in my plans or guidebook. Make sure to give yourself time to just let things happen!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Shampy posted:

Is there a way off England without getting your poo poo searched? I'm assuming a ferry would do the trick.

no xrays on the train as far as I know but seriously you should be able to get whatever you need in barca

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

blueblaze posted:

what's the prime age to do this backpacking stuff at? I'm about to turn 25 and still have like 8 months left on my UK working holiday visa. I'm split between wanting to go back to school and wanting to travel, but I'm probably going to go back to school.

Unless you have kids anytime is primetime for traveling. Even with kids it's just a little more complicated logistically. Anybody can take a few months to travel if it's a priority, if you want to do it then do it!

Do you have money saved? Can you start school a semester or a year later? Any reasons not to travel except the vague, oooh it'll look bad on your CV/doesn't show single-minded ambition towards career/random guilt?

greazeball fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 30, 2010

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mackieman posted:

Well, poo poo. Thanks for the insight in any event. I am going with a group; every MLK weekend is Beer in Europe weekend. 2009 was BRU, 2010 was PRG, and 2011 is SZG. Perhaps we'll fork over for a car and pile a bunch of us into it. I have some pretty mean Avis discounts. We'll see what happens.

I see trains for about 30 euro one way (about $75 round trip) on bahn.de

Look around here and see if you can get these prices from the US or if you have to try your luck at the station. Driving does not sound like a fun way for someone to spend Beer in Europe weekend.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Nosaj posted:

London goons or anyone with the knowledge, I have a question.

Give yourself some credit, just because you're from a small town doesn't mean you can't read a map. Furthermore, maps of the Underground have won design awards for making a massive network of trains visually appealing and easy to understand. Your guide book will list the nearest tube station and tell you what line it's on, then you look on the underground map, find the nearest tube station to you, find where you want to go, where you have to change, and that's it. When you're changing trains in the stations you just have to look for the colour of the train you want and the last station in the direction you're going (so you don't go the wrong way).

Taxis are rather expensive so unless you have piles of money that you otherwise won't spend on your holiday, save it and buy some nice things for each other.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Sunday Assassin posted:

Which is the good part of Amsterdam?

I'm hopping over there in November for a friend's birthday, and it turns out the hotel my mates have booked into is a) a boat, and b) only accessible by a ferry that stops running at 1am (according to a couple of reviews, anyway). Which doesn't sound all that appealing.

What keywords am I looking for for a hotel that'll be walking distance from stuff? I'm guessing 'by the airport' is a bad sign, right?

The airport is miles away from Amsterdam. You want an address that shows up in Amsterdam on google maps. Leidseplein isn't a bad keyword but be prepared for loudness.

Ziir posted:

I've always read to make copies of your passport. Welp, I've made copies of my passport. Question is, should I be carrying my passport or the copies? On one hand, carrying the copies seems like a better choice because I can lose that and it's no problem, but Mr. Police Officer might think it's bullshit that I'm showing him a piece of paper instead of my real passport. Or are the copies so that if I were to lose my passport, I could go to the US embassy and show them my copy and get it replaced? Except Mr. US Customs Guy might also think it's bullshit that I'm showing him a piece of paper that I could have easily doctored.

:iiam:

The copies are so if you get pickpocketed you know what your passport number is. As said above, if you really think the odds of getting nicked are high then leave the originals at the hotel. Usually you don't need them anyway. I scanned passports/credit cards/everything and saved them as a password protected zip called lol.jpg uploaded to my email.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Zosologist posted:

So I will be flying into London to visit my sister on November 13th and will be in Europe till the 1st of December. She wants to have an adventure and I'd really like to see some of the Mediterranean countries (mainly Spain/France, maybe Italy). Whats the best way for us to go about doing this? I'm thinking maybe fly into Madrid with a rail pass and go up through Barcelona into France.

Alternatively, my sister does have a car but I'm not sure how feasible it is for 3 English only assholes to go gallivanting across the continent finding rooms on the way. Also I'd imagine having a car in the major cities (Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, Rome ect.) would be more trouble than it's worth.

So what are my best options? Also bonus points for recommending cool poo poo I should see/do/eat.

Edit: Is northern France going to be miserable in late November? Also are we going to get hosed by the language barrier? "They" say the French are assholes and will sneer at me for my efforts in French, but I assume thats bullshit stereotyping... Right?

As long as you have a good road atlas, driving on the continent isn't a big deal. The tolls on the autoroutes in France are pretty expensive and you don't really see anything from them so stick to the secondary motorways and you should have fun. With 3 people splitting the gas it's probably a better deal than trains. Just find a parking place in the big cities and use public transport once you're there.

The French are nice, normal people. It's just the Parisians who have that reputation and even then there are plenty of non-assholes there. I have encountered some total dicks in Paris, but the French people I know say that the Parisians are pricks to everyone so I wasn't getting special treatment or anything.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Geneva is pretty boring and it never snows here. We do have mulled wine though.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

DownByTheWooter posted:

Never snows there? Really? That is really surprising to me - I always thought Switzerland = Winter Wonderland

Most of the country gets plenty of snow and there is great skiing but Geneva is at a low elevation and next to a very large lake so it's pretty mild here.

aga. posted:

Geneva is boring as poo poo, there is a big fountain and a ton of prostitutes (what is the deal with the prostitutes anyway? They were so obvious and everywhere). On the upside I found lime Desperados, so maybe it all evens out.

The prozzies are only in one area about 2 blocks by 4 blocks. I don't think I've seen one outside the Paquis.

Saladman posted:

Geneva -usually- sucks, but there actually is a cool celebration they do the second weekend in December (Sunday the 12th this year): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Escalade so it might actually be worth going to. I went last year and it was literally the only time I've enjoyed being in Geneva, out of a lot of time spent there.

Also it does snow in Geneva--greazeball is somewhat exaggerating. All of Switzerland is definitely not a winter wonderland though. Snow covers it from the majority of mid-December->early-March but not continuously. Geneva is about as cold as Berlin or Munich. The surrounding mountains around the cities are always covered in snow, but most of Switzerland's "big" cities are at the lower points in the country.

Winter tires aren't required like they are in most cities and the city council sold all of their snow removal equipment to Lausanne 14 years ago so it's not that much of an exaggeration. I guess technically it does snow here occasionally, 2 winters ago we got 4-5 nighttime dustings that melted by lunchtime and last winter (which was extraordinarily cold and snowy according to the locals) we had about 6 inches over 2 days and then a long cold snap so everything was covered in ice for 2 weeks (because the plows and salters were all in Lausanne).

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Nicer may not be the right word. Rainier is most likely.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Grenyarnia posted:

Thanks. I figured flights would probably be the best option.

Here's my whole itinerary and was wondering if maybe I shouldn't get the Benelux-Germany Eurail pass and instead do flights and single train tickets.

12/27: Arrive at Brussels early in the morning.
12/29: Berlin
1/3: Krakow
1/5: Amsterdam
1/7: Arrive back to Brussels for returning flight early morning on the 8th.

So do you think it would be best to:

1. Fly from Brussels to Berlin
2. Fly from Berlin to Krakow
3. Fly from Krakow to Amsterdam
4. Train from Amsterdam to Brussels

Also, how far in advance do I need to purchase tickets for the budget airlines? Is it like the US where if you try to book a flight a day or two in advance the fares are exorbitant?

You'll need to book your tickets well in advance for the budget airlines, they're total bastards about pricing. For example, taking a weekend break and need to get back to work Monday morning? You can fly back at 6am on Sunday for Ł1 or fly at 6pm on Sunday for Ł99. Ah gently caress it, I'll just take the 6am Monday flight, you say? Ł50. Don't forget there's usually Ł35-45 in taxes and fees added to all tickets (before charges for "luxuries" like having a suitcase are added).

I also think it's a bit odd to take 2 days traveling for one day of (with all respect) really depressing poo poo. Krakow is loving incredible and you could easily spend more time there or cut it out completely but you've budgeted a lot of time to just do one thing and there's loads to do in Berlin and Amsterdam.

Ziir posted:

Let's talk about cheap tickets to get to Europe. I have a friend that wants to come visit me in Germany. As far as I care, the most expensive part is getting from the US to Europe, and once there it should be relatively cheap to get to where I am. I know the train from say AMS to me should only cost 26 € or so for a student. Anyone know any great deals coming up/going on?

Edit: It doesn't matter what airport she flies out of in the US either because we both (individually) have enough miles to fly anywhere in the US and since I don't plan on returning anytime soon I don't mind giving them away cause it's better than them expiring.

I think http://www.statravel.com/ will probably have the best prices, checking their STA Deal Alert: Europe it looks like there are prices around $700 round trip including fees although there are restrictions when you can fly and you get a discount for being either a student or under 26. I still use sta.ch when I go home, they generally seem to have the best prices.

If she wants to sign up for deal alerts with airlines, I think the US hubs to search for are JFK, O'Hare, Atlanta and maybe Denver, LAX, Boston. In Europe, near you, Frankfurt, Amsterdam. There are shitloads of flights to London but then you'll have to book another flight to where you are and if the first flight is delayed... you're screwed.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Wow, yeah, take at least an extra day after your visit just for contemplation because Auschwitz is going to hit you hard. You'll need some time to take in what you see there, you don't want to be running to the airport the next morning.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

MJP posted:

What's the best and least expensive way to get from Dublin or Belfast to Amsterdam if I'm not renting a car?

Ryanair, easyjet or aerlingus I would guess. Your question makes it sound like renting a car is the best and cheapest way, are you talking about a ferry or something?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

H floresiensis posted:

I am planning on going to Barcelona (possibly by myself) in February. I am 22 and a girl, and also vegetarian. I mostly want to go to see a football game and my reading week lines up pretty good with reasonably priced tickets. Would I be ok by myself? I speak a little bit of Spanish but I have forgotten most of it since highschool, and absolutely no Catalan.

I read this thread and all the joking about robbing and stuff has got me worried just because I wanted to bring a decent point and shoot camera to take pictures. Is going by myself a really stupid idea? I am not a big drinker or anything like that so I probably won't even be going out late wandering the streets or anything. I mostly just want to see the architecture and go see a game. I'm planning on going for 5 days or so. I was supposed to go in May but my mom just wants to go to eastern Europe and has no intention of going to Barcelona. Oh also I would probably be staying in a legit hotel and not a hostel. Thanks for any help guys.

Where are you from? Have you traveled to "sketchy" areas before? I use quotes because Barcelona is really cool and I never felt remotely threatened there, but if you go to a football match there will be loads of excited people and if you go to Las Ramblas there will be a bunch of shady small-time pickpocket/scammer types. Nothing dangerous, nothing that should require anything more than a bit of awareness, confident body language and maybe a stern look.

Be careful with your bag and your camera will be fine. You won't need to speak Catalan, everybody was happy enough with my broken Spanish (it's only the Spaniards they may resent speaking Spanish with).

Seriously, Barcelona is great and unless you let other people buy you drinks or come back to your hotel room I can't see any likely dangers of you being there alone.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Saladman posted:

No. You can even buy them day-of––trains don't really fill up ever. Sometimes they run out of seats and you have to stand if you didn't reserve a seat, but even that is relatively uncommon.

Friday nights and Sunday nights in Switzerland the trains are packed with all of the military service lads crossing the country. I've been on a couple standing room only trains from Zurich to Geneva. Of course, it's not really a big deal because it's only 3 hours.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

several wet dogs posted:

Thanks guys, you're a really helpful lot! Does anybody know of any other forums more centered around travel where I can get intelligent/informative discourse such as this? I have so many more questions and feel like I'm posting too much already.

We're going for ~9 weeks over April and May. So far visiting France, Italy and Greece (in that order). Spain and Turkey are still up in the air as we're very much novice travellers and might get a little lost in countries where English is less widespread, though Turkey looks absolutely beautiful, and Spain's art scene certainly is tempting. I guess we're afraid of going in over our heads trying to squash five countries into barely twice as many weeks!
We've already decided to drat it all and book a nice apartment for the weeks we'll be staying in Paris and Rome. Which, as already stated, works out much the same anyway. Hopefully 'Easter Season' doesn't encompass all of May otherwise we're in trouble.

I mention this all the time, but if you're going to be in one city for more than 2-3 nights, it's really good value to rent an apartment. Having a kitchen so you don't have to get dressed to go get breakfast, having a separate room so if one of you wants to sleep in/take a nap the other doesn't have to sit in a darkened room, having someplace quiet to just chill out comfortably if you feel like it... so worth it and it's not really much more than a hotel. For example: €75/night in Rome: http://www.romecityapartments.com/default_new.aspx?&idLingua=2&qstring=1|1|1|0|1|11/03/2011|15/03/2011|2|S|&CenterPage=frmCenter.aspx&qFunction=Ricerca Yeah it's more than a hostel but over 9 weeks you'll probably want some peace and quiet now and again.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Saladman posted:

Barcelona... on the same cultural/touristic level as Zurich.

Wow. Gonna have to disagree with you on this, Barcelona loving rules. Zurich's not bad but... wow.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Saladman posted:

I was there for a week a couple years ago, and I was bored after 4 days and just ended up spending the rest of the time on the beach. I'm not really into drinking / night culture though, especially not in a foreign country when I don't speak any of the native languages. The Sagrada Familia is cool and the Olympic Park is alright and they have the Picasso Museum and a few other things, but I wouldn't put it even in the footnotes for a map listing Paris, London, or Rome. Feel free to educate me, though..

[Edit: I actually did like Barcelona, I just didn't understand the rave. I also like sitting around on the beach.]

Architecture, art museums, galleries, restaurants, shopping, all the different neighbourhoods with their unique character, football, tapas, beaches, amusement parks, normal parks, the sea... that's without the nightlife, which I'm not super keen on either. I was there for a week and feel like we left things out. Then again I enjoy just wandering around and getting lost for about half of any day (we saw random insane fireworks shows including a game of football with a burning ball) so ymmv.

Are you sure that Zurich could really entertain a tourist for 4 days? That's what you were comparing it to and there's a rather big gap between Rome and Zurich.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Paramour posted:

I'm studying abroad in Spain for around five months, and I was wondering if there was a phone provider you guys would recommend? I've heard good things about Vodafone. Is pay-as-you-go the standard?

If you're only there for 5 months then just come with an unlocked phone (or get it unlocked there) and get a pay as you go with whoever works out cheapest for what you want to do (text, call, internet, whatever).

Everybody knows that skype is the cheapest way to make international calls but I use Rebtel because on my cell plan I get free local calls so I can call my folks in the states (or they can call my mobile) for 5 cents/minute (or for free if I make them do the hang up and call me back while I stay on the line thing). It's just really convenient for people to be able to call your phone and not your computer.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It's also worth mentioning, Corbet, that you've chosen 5 kick rear end cities with tons of poo poo to do, incredible culture as well as night life, in central locations with great transport hubs and very popular for travelers so you should have absolutely no problems meeting people (including locals).

Do it and have a great time, you'll be a legend in your friends' eyes.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Reverse Jesus posted:

I'm thinking of going to NY alone for a week or so. I have friends who want to go too, but they're not interested in shopping or exploring, more going clubbing every night. And they mainly want to go to LA but maybe spend a few days in NY.

Rather than compromise and go with them, even though I would enjoy their company and have fun, I think I'd rather go it alone and actually do what I want to do, in my own time. When I went to Japan last year I spent a couple of days going it alone apart from my friends and I had no problem. Should be fine, right?

If you can't entertain yourself in NYC for a week (daytime or nighttime) then I just don't even know what to tell you.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

wins32767 posted:

My parents are in Grenoble for the next couple years and my wife and I are planning to visit them next fall. We figure while we're in Europe we might as well go and see as much as we can. At this point we have a list of various things we want to do and we're trying to pare it down somewhat. We want to see and do stuff all over but the bulk of the stuff on our list is concentrated in Italy/Germany/France. Given about 20 days of time how much stuff could we likely cover? What's a good ballpark figure for how much time you need to spend to cover the bases in a city? How about getting really in depth? My only vacations have been in the US and Canada so I'm a bit lost trying to plan to travel to a place with a ton of history.

My personal rule of thumb is to plan one "thing" each day and then just let the rest of the day go wherever (obviously not without getting some very general ideas before setting out). So for example on one of our days in Paris, the wife and I decided to see the Centre Pompidou. After 3-4 hours of modern art we were pretty numb so we took the Metro up to Sacre Coeur, took in the views and just wandered around until it was time for dinner.

It may seem like you won't see anything this way, but I get really frustrated when I make plans and they don't come off. This way I manage to do everything I really want without running around like a mental stress case on my holiday. It also allows for lots of poo poo to "just happen" which IMO are some of the most memorable events because this is the only way to get "in depth" if I understand you correctly.

Basically, ask for some travel guides for Christmas, look at their recommended 3-day and 7 day trips and ask yourself if you really want to run around that much. You say your parents will be there for a couple of years so try not to act like you'll never get another chance to go again.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Use your ATM card and make large withdrawals (€200). This will be the easiest and fastest way and probably the cheapest. Basically everybody who handles your money is going to take some of it so just deal with it and have as few interactions with them as possible.

Get some euro before you go (change $50 at the airport) so you don't have to search for a bank machine before you can buy a coke or train tickets or whatever when you get off the plane. I haven't been, but if you're going to Prague they'll probably accept euro at hotels and restaurants if you don't have koruna (because it's a big tourist destination) but those exchange rates will be terrible so get to an ATM and repeat paragraph one.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

wins32767 posted:

My plan thus far:

Grenoble: 2 days (visiting with my folks, getting over jet lag)
Paris (via Rail): 4 days (Versailles, The Louvre, Musse D'Orsay, The Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame)
Trier (Rent a car in Paris and drive): 1 days (Porta Nigra, Konstantinplatz)
Aachen (Drive): 1 days (Aachen Cathedral, maybe the Rathaus)
Cologne (Drive): 2 days (Schlossburg Castle, Kölner Dom)
Munich (Drive): 2 (Schloss Nymphenburg, Tierpark Hellabrunn)
Zurich (Drive): 1 (Not sure, my wife wants to do this one)
Grenoble (Drive and return car): 1 (Laundry, unwinding, visiting with my folks)

And then off to Italy and maybe Croatia for another 10 days+

Anything to add or subtract? I'm not a huge fan of having a car but I figure it'll probably be as cheap as taking a train between the cities and substantially faster between Trier/Aachen/Cologne.

I don't think a car is a bad idea, although I'm not sure if you can pick up and drop off in different cities--you should definitely look into that. You do have a lot of driving on a couple of days so keep in mind that things close early (and don't open on Sundays) so you may have to get an early start especially on the way to Trier if you only want to spend one night there. Or you could get the car in the morning, drive to Versailles, enjoy your visit there and head to Trier in the early afternoon?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Fat Turkey posted:

The problem I have is that I have no idea how you meet you people when you visit foreign places like this. I hear a lot about how when people have gone travelling, they've been able to meet up and make friends with people, but how is the best way to do this. Ideally I want to set off on my own and use this as an opportunity to make new friends with different interests and backgrounds, to either spend a few days with or longer. I'm looking for the best way to meet like-minded people from anywhere in the world.

I've been told to try and get hostels with shared rooms to force yourself into situations like that, or to book travel with a business so there are several of you in the same situation; and you get to know eachother that way. Can anyone back this up or give other advice?

I'm not really an expert on this, but I think it's a little difficult if you're just going to be in each place for 2-3 days. I think the best place to meet people would be in a hostel with a common kitchen or bar, as most people are social in those areas whereas they mostly just go to the dorms to sleep. As far as tour groups, I don't know how much luck you'll have unless you find one that caters specifically to under 30 singles and that already sounds pricey.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Look out for the guy who does keepy-uppy while he climbs up the lamp poles in Leidseplein :)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

You can also take the hydrofoil down the Danube from Vienna to Bratislava (or all the way to Budapest!)

We just got off the boat and went to the train station, didn't even check out the castle in town. We went out into the country near Poprad and visited Spissky Hrad, which was pretty bitchin (but rather far from Bratislava).

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ChadBroChill17 posted:

I just wanted to visit Switzerland. Would Bern or Geneva be more fun/less-expensive or should I just permanently axe it from the trip?

I'm looking at around 3 weeks. Basically whatever it takes to fit all of this in within at a reasonable pace. I can extend the trip slightly if need be.

It's expensive but it's your holiday so do whatever you want! With your itinerary, I would stop in Locarno and spend some time on the Lago Maggiore, it's really an incredibly beautiful area. Then spend a day or two in Lucerne and a day or two in Zurich.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Private Snowball posted:

3.) I want to watch some football matches and I've found three. February 1st is Arsenal-Everton and QPR-Portsmouth. I can't go to both obviously so I was wondering if its worth the trouble of paying more to watch Arsenal pass the ball around or go see the QPR-Portsmouth match for 30 pounds. Also I assume I can get the QPR ticket the day of. Could I get an Arsenal ticket on match day?

The other match is February 2 and is Fulham-Newcastle. I always wanted to go to Craven Cottage, but I was wondering if this match will be a sell out and I should get a ticket ahead of time? Are there scalpers? Do they charge a lot?

This is anecdotal evidence but... the Arsenal match will be sold out like crazy. Everybody wants to see them all the time so scalpers' prices will be high. I don't know anything about QPR, but Craven Cottage is a place I've wanted to go for a while now. It seems like a really cool old stadium with lots of character, the kind of place that's not going to be around forever.

I've bought tickets from scalpers at Anfield (they were only playing Blackburn) and it was pretty easy. I'm sure there will be people around CC with tickets, but no idea how much you'll have to pay for them. I got mine about an hour before kick off and I paid almost 150% of face value because I'm poo poo at haggling and I just wanted to get in the ground. If you wait until closer to KO you'll have much more bargaining power.

Try posting in this thread during or after the Fulham match today (1500 GMT) or this thread any other time and you should catch our Fulham supporters (I think there are about 3 who live in the area).

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Best have your documents when you come to Switzerland!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ziir posted:

An antique 270 year old violin is quite different from a camera.

Yeah for one thing you can call the loving Austrian National Bank and ask them what's the story instead of just impounding it like some dodgy t-shirts from Thailand.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Or if had been irreparably damaged by just being chucked in some warehouse by an overzealous tit from customs?!?!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

other than the general silhouette, they're completely different:

Click here for the full 1018x712 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

OptionalBreakfast posted:

Though most of the posts here have been about one week, four week, few month expeditions to Europe, I want to ask about moving to Europe for approximately 2 years. My prior European travel experience will be one week total in Berlin after May '11.

I'll start with the reality-check questions first: do you have European passports or heritage? What's your work visa plan? How are you going to be allowed to live and work in Europe as Americans?

OptionalBreakfast posted:

We've both expressed interest in Switzerland. It's central to Europe, it's beautiful, and there's a large German-speaking population. That said, we're also open to other locations, but we've had no real Europe experience. Innovative suggestions are good. For instance, if you think it would be best to learn about a country through watching a particular sitcom that often talks about that country's society, let me know. I'm spitballing, but I'm sure there are ways to get an idea of where we would like to live besides looking at scenic photos of mountains.

If you want to learn German, Switzerland is not the place for it. High German is the written language and the language of education, but the spoken dialect is a long way from German (as in, Germans don't really understand it). Austria maybe?

Rojkir posted:

Turns out it's not European at all!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_State_Capitol

(I cheated and used google goggles)

hahaha... that's great!