Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Wife and I are going to Paris in May (arrive the morning of the 3rd, leave the morning of the 10th). We want to have a great dinner, do a wine tour/champagne tour, possibly a day trip to Normandy. I understand on the 8th most things will be closed down for V-E Day, so not sure what we should do then. Any suggestions for the dinner/tours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Sanity check please: I can use my Chase Sapphire Reserve in Paris just fine, right? I'm a bit confused on chip+sign and chip+pin and all that jazz.

Also, best way to get euros is to just hit up an ATM?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I plan to use a debit card in the ATM to take out cash, I'm just not sure about using my credit card for other purchases. The Chase website makes it seem like you just can't use your PIN to pay for anything, other than cash advances from ATMs (https://www.chase.com/digital/fraud-security/security/faq-credit)

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

What's the best way to get from central London to Heathrow for an early morning flight (7AM) back to the US? From what I understand, the train won't be there early enough, so looking for another way

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Julio Cruz posted:

If your flight's on a Saturday or Sunday the Piccadilly line runs all night.

e: there's also a coach from Victoria which gets to Heathrow at 4.40 if you don't mind hanging around a bit.

Flight is on a Sunday morning, so it sounds like the Picadilly line is the way to go. I imagine an Uber is going to be crazy expensive

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Going to Ireland for a week (36 hours in Dublin, then about five-six days driving around), and have 2-3 days at the end to go someplace else. Our options are Edinburgh, London, Paris Amsterdam, or Barcelona. The wife and I were in Paris and London in 2018, but my mom and sister (who are coming with us) have never been to either. We could possibly do something else as well (Prague? Monaco? Lisbon?) so we're open to other suggestions

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Julio Cruz posted:

"we're spending a week in Ireland, but also we want to go to Barcelona and Prague, that's reasonable right?"

Not what I was getting at, but thanks.

Just looked at the planned itinerary. Two nights in Dublin, two nights in Cork, two nights in Killarney, a night in Galway and a night in Achill. We can use the 2-3 extra days to spend more time there, but I'm struggling a bit to fill the rest of the time. We've got a full day to drive from Dublin to Cork, another day to hang out there/Old Midleton/Cobh, a day to drive to Killarney, a day to do Ring of Kerry related stuff, Cliffs of Moher on the full day drive to Galway, and then drive up to Achill so mom can feel as one with her ancestors. The plan after that was to fly out from Shannon to somewhere else for 2-3 nights then back to the US. I figured London would be easiest, Edinburgh is a very short flight, the others were more aspirational/something different. We can certainly stay longer

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

My Lovely Horse posted:

With those full day drives I think you're somewhat overestimating how much time it takes to get around Ireland by car, even if you take the back roads.

Dingle is nice, and you should certainly drive around Connemara a bit. The landscape is bewildering.

The full day drives are meant to be slow, with lots of stopping. So the drive from Dublin to Cork (2.5 hours on the motorways) will realistically take much longer, with stops in Kilkenny and Cashel, possibly even hitting up Glendalough beforehand. Driving from Cork to Killarney (1.5 hours) would go through Clonakitty, Bantry, and Kenmare. Then we would have full days in certain places to do other stuff: Cork (Cobh, Titanic Museum for mom, Old Midleton Distillery, maybe Blarney Castle and gardens), Killarney (Ring of Kerry full day drive), etc. The only thing we seem to be missing so far is Dingle and Aran Islands/Connemara, which we could do if we took a second night in Galway.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Saladman posted:

As someone who just did this two months ago, you're really underestimating how much time you want at each place. It is really not enjoyable to go from Dublin to Cork and stop at both Kilkenny, Cashel, and Glendalough in a single day. That's a 5 hour drive, and each stop is minimum 2 hours for an even basic taste (well, I guess Glendalough is just driving through slowly). So yeah that's a feasible full day, assuming that lunch is just a bag of nuts while you're driving. Certainly you can do all of those things, but doing that for 6 days in a row is going to be exhausting and most people won't care about what they see after 3 days like that unless they're literally crossing off a checklist.

Dublin -> Cork via Cashel: 1 day
Cork: 1 day
Ring of Kerry & Killarney NP: 1 day
Cliffs of Moher to Galway: 1 day
Galway to Achill: 1 day
Galway to Shannon, presumably via Ennis: 1 day

That's 6 days and yeah it would work, but 1 night stays are exhausting and there are a lot of sites in Ireland that are enjoyed beyond the big Top 5 that are filled with tour buses of people. Like I honestly found the cliffs on the end of Dingle to be more enjoyable than the Cliffs of Moher since they were similarly high, and not nearly so crowded. Aran Islands is also very unique (though requires basic fitness). There are a LOT of small ruins in the countryside that can be enjoyed that NO ONE will be at, like Menlo Castle near Galway, or Ross Errilly Friary, also near Galway, or Athassel Abbey, near Cashel, or Blackvalley near the Ring of Kerry. Blackvalley, e.g. Gap of Dunloe, was one of my favorite things and would be totally missed. I found Cashel to be a bust after visiting Athassel and Errilly as it’s only somewhat more impressive of a ruin but fully 500x more crowded, plus Errilly and Athassel are free. (At Athassel and Errilly we were the only people there.)

These places (e.g. Athassel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athassel_Priory ) are stunning and totally unpeopled, but you won't see them if you're doing a top speed 6 day trip of Ireland. Yeah your schedule does work if you don't mind changing rooms every single night and being busy from sunup to sundown without stopping for a long lunch, but there's a lot to travelling besides hitting the Top 10 of every country.

OTOH, Connemara is only worth it if you want to do the Diamond Hill walk (2-3 hour roundtrip, depends on your fitness), otherwise it's pretty unremarkable after you've been to Dingle and Ring of Kerry. The R344 road going north from Recess to Kylemore is really nice but the rest of the drive is "eh". Aran Islands are great but needs some basic physical fitness to be able to bike around the island. You can do it with the guided tours but then you're with like 15 other old people the whole time and at least for me it loses most of its charm when done by minibus.

E: Also it is impossible to do Aran and Connemara in the same day from Galway. Like absolutely 100% cannot be done unless "going to Aran" means "taking the ferry or plane to the island, and then taking that same ferry/plane back the moment you arrive." These are two separate full day trips from Galway—I did this myself in May. Aran was leave Galway 8am return Galway 6pm and while reasonably paced on the island, it was by no means slow paced and we did not stop for lunch. For Connemara we left Galway at like 9am and returned around 7pm, but had a nice lunch and stopped at Menlo and Errilly on the way back.

If you’re really into super busy 100% planned and packed no time for sit down meals schedules, and primarily
want to hit up top 10 lists and don’t mind doing 10 nights in a row of one night stays, then go up to Northern Ireland for your remaining 2-3 days. I don’t think your general trip idea is impossible, but IME trips like that tend to be less memorable than slightly slower paced visits where yeah maybe you see less on paper but you honesty remember and enjoy more.

Otherwise really take at least 2 nights in both Killarney and in Galway so you can do Dingle and Aran, and take a night in Kilkenny so you can actually enjoy Glendalough and do your Dublin-Cork day at an enjoyable pace. Then go up to Belfast and fly home or something with your other day. Also if you’re coming from the US keep in mind your first day will be exhausting.

Seems there's a bit of confusion, sorry if I wasn't very clear.

Day 1: Arrive in Dublin, walk around, relax
Day 2: Dublin sights and such
Day 3: Dublin to Cork, stop in Kilkenny and Cashel (for Hore Abbey)
Day 4: Cork (Cobh, Old Midleton, whatever else we feel like)
Day 5: Cork to Killarney (stop randomly on the way)
Day 6: Killarney: Ring of Kerry
Day 7: Killarney to Galway, Cliffs of Moher
Day 8: Galway to Achill
Day 9: Achill to Shannon or Dublin to depart.

Only two of the stops are one-night stays (Galway and Achill). The driving days are meant to hit up those random things you're talking about. We're not trying to do the top 10 other than like Ring of Kerry and Cliffs of Moher.

The suggestions I've seen are Glendalough (which would add in a night in Kilkenny before we get to Cork) and an additional day in Galway to do Connemara or Aran.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Saladman posted:

Ah, yeah that actually seems okay the way you have it written out there. I’d still recommend spending more time in Ireland with your extra 2-3 days unless you can’t get a direct flight home from Dublin or Shannon.

E: Just flipped through my trip photos, and some other things that came up just in southern Ireland on the same route you're already doing:
• If you’re already way up in Achill you could take another day and go towards Slieve League and from there back towards Dublin or Shannon.
• Dingle is really cool, especially Slea Head Drive at the end, including the Blasket Visitor Center area (gorgeous views). Inch Beach is neat too. Conor Pass is neat although you can just drive up to the middle and then back down; the north side of the peninsula wasn't that stunning. Also an awesome petting zoo here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hold+a+baby+Lamb/@52.1009133,-10.440865,16.17z/
• I was mixing up Cliffs of Kerry with Cliffs of Dingle. There are no "Cliffs of Dingle" although it's certainly cliffy. The Cliffs of Kerry were totally worth the €5 or whatever.
• Newgrange is also super neat if any of you care about Neolithic stuff. I found it to be about 1 million times more interesting than Stonehenge, since you can actually go up to (and inside) it. Also the Batte of the Boyne is right there if any of you cares about more resent Irish history (if not, it’s just an "eh" museum and a field with some cannon).
• Blackvalley and the Gap of Dunloe are really awesome as long as whoever is driving is not a scared driver for driving on 1 lane wide, 2-way mountain roads. If you're not comfortable driving that, then you can walk it (1-2 hours from the parking lot?) or if you're into that type of thing, take a horse-drawn buggy.
• Kilkenny is nice enough but also totally skippable. The castle is kind of cool but only for like 10 minutes.

There was another poster on this thread who lived in Ireland for years, maybe s/he'll chip in with more ideas.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! I'll be doing like 90% of the driving, not sure how I'll feel on those rides, but we'll see. Kilkenny is almost solely for some Smithwicks Experience

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Ireland/Dublin question. Traveling with myself, my wife, my sister (all mid-30s) and my mom (65). We arrive Friday at 11AM. I think we need that Friday plus all day Saturday and Sunday to see everything without running my mom ragged; my sister says we're fine with just the half day Friday and all day Saturday, and then we can head out to Tullamore. What is the good consensus? The stuff we want to do is traditional Dublin stuff: Guinness Storefront, Grafton Street, Trinity College/Book of Kells, etc.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

greazeball posted:

You're both right. It's about a day and a half of stuff you've listed but you might be jet lagged depending on where you come from and how often you deal with it. First day, check in to the hotel, then do Guinness and go to bed early. Second day, Trinity, Grafton, Stephen's Green should be ok at an easy pace. I never sleep as well the second night after a long flight so Sunday could be a good recovery day to see some other stuff and then head out on Monday. It also depends on how much time you have and whether you're doing the driving yourself.

We will be renting a car at the end of our Dublin time, head towards Galway for several days, a few days in Killarney and then over to London. Our time in Killarney is set (Thursday night and Friday night), as is our departure from Shannon (Saturday), so it's either Friday-Sunday in Dublin and Sunday-Thursday in Galway, or Friday-Monday in Dublin and Monday-Thursday in Galway.

I go abroad every year or so; my sister hasn't been abroad (other than a cruise in Mexico) since 1992, same with my mom. We'll be coming from the eastern US.

If it was just my wife and I, and my sister most likely, I'd do the shorter version of Dublin and get out to the country. But this is my mom's trip, so I want her to be comfortable and enjoy it, which is why I'm thinking about slowing things down but I also don't want to short-change the rest of it. It's tough

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

My Lovely Horse posted:

I liked Galway quite a bit more than Dublin and even so I'd say five days in the area is a lot of time to fill. I mean you're gonna want to take all the day trips you can in the greater Galway area, it's fantastic, but still roughly as much time in Galway as in Dublin sounds about right.

Generally I feel that when you look back on a holiday, "I wish we'd spent more time in _____" is a bummer, but not as much as "I wish we hadn't wasted that day in _____, we could have gone to _____ a day earlier".

Zachack posted:

It all depends on what you want to see in Dublin, we had 2.5 days and did stuff without feeling over-rushed but saw a lot. Certain things may have set times, too - Kilmainham Gaol (very good) requires a tour booked in advance and was a bit of a walk for us to get to, same if you want to do a walking tour or something. If you don't care about museums then that changes things, but we move really fast and I was pretty happy to "relax" when we left Dublin and I had hours of driving instead of pounding concrete.

Plan right now is:

Friday: Arrive in Dublin
Saturday: Dublin
Sunday: Dublin
Monday: Drive to Galway, stop in Tullamore on the way
Tuesday: Drive up to Achill Island for a day trip
Wednesday: Connemara? Aran Islands?
Thursday: Drive to Killarney, stop at Cliffs of Moher on the way
Friday: Drive the Ring of Kerry
Saturday: Fly to London from Shannon Airport

If we can knock out what we want in Dublin Friday and Saturday, we can leave on Sunday and have an extra day in Galway to actually hang out in the city or do something else. Or we take our time. Sounds like both are good options.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Should I do three nights in Killarney/two nights in Galway, or two nights in Killarney/three nights in Galway? We're doing Dublin (two nights) -> Killarney -> Galway (with a day trip up to Achill as one of the activities). Not sure which makes a better base for the longer portion of the stay between Killarney and Galway

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

pointsofdata posted:

Killarney is a less nice town than Galway, but both have excellent day trips available so I don't think it matters much. One of my favourite things in Ireland was staying in the many excellent BnBs, have you considered stopping at one in-between?

This trip is for my mom, I'm trying to avoid having to constantly check in and out of places, so I figured two home bases outside of Dublin would be best.

Saladman posted:

^^** with only five nights he doesn’t really have the option to stop overnight in more than two places. Most Airbnb’s have 2 or 3 night min stays anyway. Agree that Galway is nicer but in any case both towns are miniature.

What time of year? And you have a rental car, or if not, can get one? Either way would work honestly. 3 days in Gallway = Gallway, Aran Islands (weather permitting), and Kenmore Abbey / Connemara. Killarney has more things in the immediate area: Dingle Peninsula (full day, honestly my favorite), Skellige Islands (full day, seasonal, weather permitting), Ring of Kerry (3/4 of a day), Killarney NP (couple hours to full day), Gap of Dunloe and black valley (couple hours, should be an experienced driver especially if doing it in summer).

There are also a lot of cool and nearly unvisited ruins near Gallway especially, like the Ross Errilly Friary. Car required, as with much of Ireland.

I strongly strongly recommend renting a car. Tour buses cannot go to some places (eg Dingle Peninsula, Gap of Dunloe, Ross Errilly, and tour buses are full of so many people it kind of spoils the atmosphere. Cliffs of Moher can be done when you drive between Gallway and Killarney but it does take a full day to do that whole route. I found Dingle to be more enjoyable than Ring of Kerry since there were far fewer people, but tbh once you get off the main roads you barely see anyone anyway. We spent three days in Blackvalley and saw like thirty people, in late May when we were there.

We are going in late May, and we will have a car. Her must-dos are really just Cliffs of Moher, visit Achill Island where her family is originally from, and then just visit different pubs and listen to music/talk to people. Everything else is gravy for her. We leave Dublin Sunday morning and have a Saturday afternoon flight out of Shannon. I know we can't see all, or even most of the stuff on the usual lists, and I don't want to be running around trying to check off a bunch of things on those lists.

Option A is to spend the three nights in Killarney: Arrive Sunday, do the Ring of Kerry Monday, then Gap of Dunloe or something like that Tuesday, drive up to Galway on Wednesday with a stop at Cliffs of Moher, Thursday drive up to Achill, Friday is a whatever we want day, then drive down to Shannon and fly out Saturday.

Option B is to spend the three nights in Galway: Arrive in Killarney Sunday, do the Ring of Kerry Monday, drive to Galway with a stop in Cliffs of Moher Tuesday, then between Wednesday/Thursday/Friday we can do Achill/Connemara/Aran Islands/whatever else.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Same question, but for Ireland. I'll be using my phone for navigation while driving, and the paltry amount of data AT&T offers as part of their Passport offering for international travel won't cut it. It's an iPhone Xs, bought through Apple and on the AT&T network.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

It's taken nearly a decade for the planets to align and get my mom's bucket list trip to Ireland planned and booked. We leave for Dublin on 5/21 so hoping this is all better by then, otherwise we will need to move it to next year

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Saladman posted:

Just don’t book anything that is not 100% refundable. Cancellation policies are liberal now but only for stuff booked before March 2020. I don’t expect things to be suitable for foreign tourists before summer at this point, based on Chinese response times.

I mean, we booked our flights (via miles) many months ago so hindsight and all that. We can cancel all of our hotels and the car rental, and if it comes to it we can get our miles back I believe. It's more that it sucks, a lot, and we likely won't get to go until next May, and she ain't gettin' any younger

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

LOL AutoEurope is charging a $30 administrative fee to cancel a voucher on a rental car, due to high cancellation volume. Or, you can keep the voucher and they'll add 10% of the value onto it, supposedly to get a better car? Another day?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

If you could spend four days in one of the following cities, which would you pick?

- Vienna
- Rome
- Stockholm
- Munich
- Amsterdam
- Prague
- Dubrovnik

This would be two adults, relatively experience travelers, in late September

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Doctor Malaver posted:

Dubrovnik is too small for four days so only consider it if you're willing to travel around the area.

As for the rest, hard to say without knowing your interests, but Rome is a league on its own. I can't imagine picking Munich over Rome unless you're a huge fan of Bayern Munich or BMW cars.

Interesting, I figured four days would barely be enough, good to know. We're pretty typical; like to check out museums and other sites, explore neighborhoods, go up in tall buildings, eat and drink great food and cocktails/beer/wine. My favorite city in Europe is London; not sure if that makes me boring, or if I've just not been in enough places. My main hesitancy with Rome was that my wife was there in 2019 taking her mom on a bucket list trip. She'd obviously love to go back and take me, since her mom is getting up there in age which limited some options. All of the others are places either neither of us have ever been, or I was there when I was a little kid.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Thanks for all the input; the fates have decided we're going to Rome. We know we won't see even a portion of everything, but if we wait until we have more time, it could be years.

Now, where to stay? One recommendation was near Campo de' Fiori (particularly the Boutique Hotel Campo de' Fiori), but I've also heard that that area can be party central at night. Since we're short on time we'd like to be pretty close to the main stuff, so definitely open. Bonus points if I can use Marriott/Hilton/Hyatt points

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Losing a day is possible, but not necessarily so. Fly out in the morning and you'll have half a day in Dublin to explore and get your bearings. Drop off your bags and check in to the hotel, walk around, eat dinner, hit up a pub for a pint, etc.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

OK, we finally booked our flights to Ireland for a wedding, with the plan to tour a bit beforehand with my mom (late 60s). She has a long list of 'things I want to do' but when pressed, but I want to avoid constantly switching hotels every night or two. East side we'll be stationed in Dublin for the first two days upon arrival. For the west, I was planning on using Killarney as our base, since there's a lot to do in the national park, and there are lots of day trips. Galway is an option, but I feel like that would make the Ring of Kerry drive a very, very long day. Am I off base in using Killarney for this purpose?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Hit me with what I need to know about London and either Munich or Amsterdam in late November/early December. We want to see some Christmas markets, and will be meeting up with my dad for about a week in London and then spending 3 days or so in another city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Bollock Monkey posted:

Where are you travelling from and what sort of tips are you after? Weather (likely to be a bit poo poo in all of those places)/activities/national holidays..? What do you like doing?

We're coming from Florida; we've been to London before (May 2018), and this one is primarily to spend time in London with my dad, see some of the Christmas stuff, maybe do Highclere Castle (big Downton fans here), pubs, cocktails, etc. My wife would like to do Buckingham if possible. Pretty much the same sort of stuff in the other country, fully understanding that 3 days isn't nearly enough, we just want to tack on something and maybe see more markets or what not.