Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
You can't find cilantro/coriander in Ireland??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

To rent a house you'd need to have a deposit which can be really high, and possibly a guarantor, depending. You mostly find it through gumtree.com - this is how most people find flatshares!

Are you happy to just work in a bar? If you have skills and that you could probably make some good money by temping, etc, or even just taking on some office-based work.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Why don't you wait until it snows in your country (wherever you live) then climb a hill there? No need to go all out in the mountains the very first time
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t5hcl
I watched this when it was on, and they had a bit where they interviewed some people who went camping in the British countryside in the snow. It did look absolutely lovely, I admit!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I'm not sure if they have exactly that kind of thing, but you should check out Gumtree for this kind of thing as well! Hope that helps.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

All this Berlin stuff is super useful thank you! I'm going over in March.

What are some good areas in Berlin to just kind of wander around in during the daytime?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Most of Europe is either damp and cold and dark early, or freezing cold and dark early, Austria included. Europe in December is not your best bet, but I'd imagine the Christmas markets in Hamburg would be lovely.

I think the 4 hours of sunlight thing in Scotland is an exaggeration? I've been to Oslo in December, but the sun was up by 8am and down at the usual 4pm which is the same as we have here in London, I mean yes it's dark, but it's not ridiculous. But I think if you want to get away from that, you'd want to be looking at really quite southern Europe.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Grok posted:

I'm going to London for a bit less than a week mid march, any suggestions for interesting places public transportation can take me to fairly quickly?
I'll be spending a couple of days in Bath, as well.

Even though I'm sure I will go to some, I'm not really a museum/tourist trap/shopping kind of gal.

I need, at the very least, the name of a good pub or two.

Well there are tonnes of good pubs, what are you looking for? The Porterhouse has a cool interior but is expensive, the Bricklayers Arms off TCR is very cheap and has sofas and is good for all day stuff, Southhampton Arms nr Kentish Town has a lovely small-town atmosphere with a jazz musician and real ale/cider, The Green Man serves tonnes of cider, the Queens Head in Hoxton is a super divey hipster bar with electro in the evenings.

And when you say you're not interested in museums, shopping or 'tourist traps' what do you mean, general areas? Carnaby Street is fun, as is Covent Garden and it's hard to beat a nice wander around the Southbank on a sunny day, plus Greenwich is lovely, but those are also popular with the tourists. I mean, you could go to Primrose Hill and take that in the poshness and climb the hill there and see the view, or go down Brick Lane and revel in the trendiness... etc? Maybe a few more pointers?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

enki42 posted:

Some other random Berlin areas to check out for a tourist:

1. Oranienburger strasse is a pretty decent place to wander around and find a couple of cool bars or shops - it's considered a little touristy, but there's a good number of interesting little places. Tacheles is an interesting place to stop by for a drink - it's completely covered in graffiti, with some artists shops in the building, and a few different bars. Very berlinish.

2. If you're there on a Sunday, absolutely check out one of the many flea markets in the city, and find a good brunch place afterwards. Brunch on Sundays in berlin usually consists of ridiculously nice buffets. For a first time, I'd go to Mauerpark on a Sunday and either find a random restaurant serving brunch (it's in Prenzlauer Berg, so there's millions of places) or check out a place just across from the Mauerpark called kauf dich glücklich (rough translation: buy yourself happiness).
Just got back on Sunday night from Berlin and had a great weekend, to thank so much! Tascheles was AMAZING, and on Sunday we were pretty hungover from being out the night before [for the record Monsieur Vuong was a great place to eat, not sure if anyone here recommended by my colleague did and it owned] so instead of heading to Mauerpark for the market we went to Boxhagnerplatz Market near our hotel which was still cool, but also nice and close to where our bags are and this great cafe called Spielewiese Ludothek where I played board games for three hours with my boyfriend which is a perfect hangover day thing to do really. Thanks again to everyone who suggested stuff!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

We didn't really manage brunch because we had a huge free buffet full of cheese and bread and spicy salami and all that good stuff in the hotel, and also we had to go back to bed after breakfast until noon checkout on account of being out on the town the night before, but it would have been a good idea probably!

Instead after the market we had this mad cake about an hour later that was made of I'd say 90% gelatine. Seriously, it was crazy wobbly wtf .
(:negative: Waffleimages is gone?!?!?!)

I'd also add the Fat Tire Bike Tour I did I'd highly recommend, great way to get around and see the city .

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

duralict posted:

European megathread people, I am going to London in two weeks and I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing, or how I'm getting to France afterwards. Is there any cheap option that I can book more or less on the spot? Travel time isn't an issue - I've got scads of time.

Yo - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032504 this is basically a London thread.

As for France, booking on the spot I guess is going to be crazy expensive as is any last minute travel decision but you're better off checking in the thread. What sort of poo poo do you want to do in London - give us a few pointers.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

As always, would strongly, strongly urge you to skip Dublin and see some of the west coast of Ireland. Dublin, in my view, is such a grey flavourless tourist-let-down over priced part of Ireland. I grew up on the South West coast and you couldn't do better, in my view, than to rent a car and drive around Cork and Kerry - seriously, it's unbelievably gorgeous.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

One nice day plan would be to go to Waterloo station, walk along the South Bank, go on the London Eye, then walk across the bridge to Westminster, take a photo with Big Ben, then wind your way back to Covent Garden, check out all of that, and from there go to Leicester Square, have a nice late lunch. Then head down and finish up in the National Gallery.

A properly authentically-grim London going-out experience would be to go to Camden and hit one or two of the hipster-ish pubs up by Chalk Farm (the two stations are close to each other and a ten minute walk) so if you fancy seeing Camden Market (tourist thronging full of tat but it has a soft spot in my heart) you could also get in a few drinks.

I had a great time in Berlin for a three day visit when I did the Fat Bike tour - so look into that. I know they do one in London :shobon:

What kind of food/budget do you like? I have a fairly encylcopaedic knowledge of London restaurants at this point so I may well be able to recommend something to you! Fyi, there's pretty much everything in London so don't say 'whatever' - Korean, Sushi, Chinese, Russian, Burgers/steakhouse, Italian, French, Hi end, low end, 'shabby chic', Spanish, European/fusion, etc etc etc

Neris fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 16, 2011

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Go to Tayyabs in Brick Lane at lunchtime and eat drat amazing curry for little (BYOB as well so even cheaper). Go have some Pie and Mash in S&M (never been but heard positive things!) near Spitalfields Market. As for the elusive 'great fish and chips' I have no suggestions, but the idea is to buy it from any place which is a 'fish bar' or whatever (NOT a chicken shop ick their chips are awful), while being quite drunk, preferably in the rain while waiting for a bus!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

My boyfriend has one of these and it's pretty spot on, without lots of wheels and handles to give you extra weight too. Backpacks are generally better for travelling with too, imo, unless it's a really heavy bag, which it won't be.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Backpack-Approved-massive/dp/B002Q5APX4

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I dunno, I fly Ryanair from London to Kerry pretty often, and spending an extra £30 plus the fiver they charge you just for the privilege of standing in line, plus adding an extra hour/ish on each side of the journey is a big pain in the rear end.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

The Flying Clog Wog posted:

Antwerp and Ghent are my favourite Belgian cities I would say.

I have to say I do have a little soft spot for Maastricht, if only for that huge Christmas funfair that was there one time, and the amazing book shop in a church.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Ziir posted:

But Maastricht is in Holland.

:downs: ignore me

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Pretty old architechture and canals, I guess? I've not been but was planning to do so until the snow in 09 hosed Eurostar royally. I have heard awful things from a friend though, about how it's an overpriced tourist-trap.

Plus BEST FILM

"I know I'm awake, but I feel like I'm in a dream"

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Off chance that anyone knows specifically, but I'm going on holiday next weekend in Manche (Montpinchon specifically), in Normandy. We've a 9am train from London to Calais on Saturday, returning on Tuesday, where we're picking up a car and doing the four hour drive across, stopping for lunch at Honfleur on the way as I hear that's a nice break.

I'd like to see Mont St Michel and one or two D-Day beaches but apart from that, any recommendations? I'm not really interested in going to museums or seeing the tapestry, or other artifacts etc.

I especially like food stuff, or small French towns, beautiful countryside, and the like. Any suggestions? Especially for the evening time! We'll have a car so we're free to drive wherever.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Ziir posted:

What's the cheapest way to get from London to Brussels?

Eurostar, most likely. And it's quicker and nicer too. I love the Eurostar. (Even if I'm still raging at how badly they hosed up during SNOWPOCALYPSE 2010)

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Well, maybe, but when you factor in price of getting to the airport on the train and all the extra time you'll have to spend checking in, plus probably horribly flying hours and landing and not being able to bring any shampoo/liquids on the plane, and then landing in another airport, having to get from that airport to your destination and ughhhhh.

I so hate airports.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

HELP! I'm going to Europe, what do I do? - Slow the gently caress down

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, I went to Antwerp kind of expecting it to be awesome and while it was nice, I was tired and we walked for ages and eventually I was just waiting to get hungry again so we could have an excuse to go into a cafe or get a little later than 11am so I could have a drink in a bar. Apart from the very pretty cathedral, I didn't feel too impressed by it. Apart from a couple of nice shopping streets.

I think it's better for nightlife and that - big student city and all.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Goddamn I really want to go back to Berlin now. I was recovering from a cold when I was there and despite loving clubbing and almost all electronic music we kind of failed to do proper night out. Club De Visionaires had some great minimal techno and was right on the waterfront but it was REALLY cold as it was March and we were standing around burning bins to keep warm and that.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Are you coming from the US for a big once-in-a-lifetime Europe trip? What's the purpose of your visit? Natural beauty? History and museums? Night life? Meeting locals? If you give some outline, I can offer info on Ireland as I grew up there, at least.

Also Amsterdam is amazing (even if you don't smoke) and Berlin is too, for the record, so I would recommend you don't write it off just like that. Personally I have no great love for Dublin.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Ishamael posted:

Any restaurant recommendations for Rome or Florence? Looking for something medium-priced, preferably unique/interesting or just goddamn delicious.

http://www.gourmet-chick.com/2011/07/eight-cheap-eats-in-rome-gourmet-chick.html This might help!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

What people are saying is generally true, unfortunately, but I know that specifically Copenhagen and all of Scandiavia is really expensive.
However, but there are places in Spain, France, Germany and Holland are all cheap by my standards (as a brit). Although it won't be much better than Spain, you're better off staying on that belt of Europe than venturing into Denmark.

Maybe go for a long weekend instead, and look into private hostel rooms instead of hotels? There's also the option of couchsurfing, but you might have to put some people up before you start looking to beef up your profile.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

esquilax posted:

So I'm thinking of going on vacation in Northwest Europe for about 3 weeks. I'm aiming to hit Paris, Brussels, and Amsterdam, but I think I'll have some extra time to explore Benelux/NE France. I like museums and history and stuff, is there anywhere else in that region with a lot to see?

Is there stuff to see at military history sites like Waterloo or Bastogne, or is it mostly just "that's the hill where X happened"?

You should really go to Berlin. The remnants of the wall are amazing, the checkpoint charlie museum, all of that is just awesome. Plus, great city, nightlife, and cheap!

Otherwise I went to Normandy this year, Pointe Du Hoc in particular is full of bombed-to-gently caress bunkers and craters all over the hills - the whole area has quite a lot of beaches and memorials, plus museums, the American War Cemetary, loads of stuff. Saint Mere Eglise has an amazing museum in it, as well. And little quaint nice french towns like Mont St Michel and St Malo as well.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Valiantman posted:

Fixed that for you.

Ahahah I went to Oslo a few years ago and I was walking around incredibly dehydrated because I couldn't stand spending €3 on a bottle of water I could get for 70p in the UK.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I take Ryanair constantly and while it is a pain in the rear end, it's only an hour long flight between the UK and Ireland so it is worth it if it saves you £50 or whatever. But yeah, they charge you a tenner for the privilege of paying for the thing and a fiver to print out your own boarding pass and will constantly try to get you to sign up for extras (travel insurance etc) without you realising so be careful while you're doing it.

The extras for luggage are mental though so be careful, and bear in mind Ryanair in particular are absolute cunts (depending on the airport - Luton is v bad, Stanstead medium, smaller airports vary) about how big your carry-on bag is, whether or not your duty free will fit in your carry-on bag, whether your carry-on bag is too heavy, whether you can fit the small handbag in your hand in your carry-on bag etc.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

This is true - my sister's flight from Kerry to London was delayed boarding by 30m and landed 5 minutes ahead of its original schedule.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

aga. posted:

I put up with the crap from Ryanair (and tbh I've never experienced that much of it) as it's worth it for the cheap fare. I never would have been all the places I have been without Ryanair I'm sure, I'm just about to go to Berlin for £30 return.

Talking of Berlin, does anyone have any good recommendations? I'm going to do the usual free tour and a bar crawl or two (including the "Alternative" one) but other than that I don't really have any plans.

Take the Fat Tyre Bike Tour - I totally loved it, and it's pretty fun way to spend the day because you can't party CONSTANTLY. It's worth the price.

Also, check out Tascheles, eat at Monsieur Vuongs and when you're hungover go to Speelweise Ludothek (sp?), you pay a few quids and they have a huge wall of board games (admittedly in german) you can waste some time playing and drinking coffee! Boxhagnerplatz on Sundays has some nice markets.

edit: I am loving bummed I didn't get my rave on properly in Berlin AGH. I need to go back to do so stat. Make sure you go out properly clubbing.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Are there any people who know a lot about Spain here? I'm hoping to take a short break sometime in the spring with my boyfriend to somewhere where I can fly in on the Friday and out on the Monday from London.

We really like food, atmosphere, walking around and looking at things, so maybe a big cit? Also we're both cheapskates so it'd probably be Ryanair. We also love nightlife, but generally get plenty of that in London so it's not essential.

Any suggestions? Somewhere with some outdoor space, a beach, or some nature-y stuff nearby would be great, but we don't want to rent a car if at all possible.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

TheViper posted:

I'd say Barcelona if you haven't been before. I spent a few days there last summer and it was one of the highlights of the whole trip. There's a lot of stuff to see like the Gaudi Park and Cathedral, and a load of beaches you can get to on the metro. The only caveat I have is that I didn't think the food was great compared to the rest of Europe, but you can't have everything I guess.

Okay - awesome. We'll look into Barcelona, much appreciated!

Bum the Sad posted:

I'm sure it's been answered some where in this thread but I have never traveled before and have no idea how to set this up. I plan on going to Europe this summer with my girlfriend and don't even know the basics. Do I need to get a visa should I go to a travel agent. I'm completely oblivious I've never been north of the mason Dixon line.

:psyduck:

Seriously taking the thread title a little bit too literally there.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

OperaMouse posted:

To me, Venice is pretty much the shittiest of all Italian cities to visit. It's dirty tourist trap.

Are you thinking of Naples by mistake? I've heard the opposite about Venice and while I haven't been, my family have been a few times, and they all thought it was awesome and definitely worth experiencing. It's a beautiful old city on goddamn water - obviously it will be touristy but I think it's still going to be incredible. I would absolutely check it out anyway, if only for a day or two.

Also Berlin is awesome and I know way too many people in London who want to move there. It is full of amazing old historical stuff, loving awesome nightlife, good bars, and lots of poo poo to see.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I have absolutely no idea what you'd consider the city centre of London - Oxford St? Kings Cross? Trafalgar Sq?

I loved the Eye as well. Places I often take people who visit me are the South Bank, Covent Garden, Camden Market, Borough Market, Tate Britain, Tate Modern, Brick Lane, National Gallery... any of that sound up your alley?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, seriously. I lived in Ireland for 11 years and I am so not impressed with Dublin. Also recommending Dingle on the South West coast where I grew up, lovely seaside town, loads of pubs and bars and restaurants, and our local celebrity Fungi the dolphin, who you can get a boat out to see which is so fun. I have been quite a few times!

Insanely beautiful countryside surroundings too, which I guess you're into if you're checking out Aran and the cliffs.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Bear in mind the Olympics are happening in London, late July till 12 August, so it'll be loving horrible here right around then, try to avoid it.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Kerafyrm posted:

I'm going to Cork, Ireland for 6 weeks in a couple months (from the first week of July to the second week of August). It's on a study abroad program, but it's a fairly lax program with 3 day weekends and classes only from 9 AM - noon to give us time to be tourists.

What are some must-sees? Newgrange, Aran Islands, Gougane Barra, Cashel, Cahir, Ormond, Kinsale, and Dingle Peninsula are already on the list (a lot of those are group excursions).

DINGLE, DINGLE, DINGLE.

I grew up there. It is gorgeous and everyone is super friendly and lovely. Here's my advice.

- Make sure you go see Fungi in a boat, and bring warm clothes because even if it's a hot sunny day it'll be chilly out there with the wind! (well, I am.)
- I'd skip Gallarus as it's just a little structure in the middle of a field, but if you're into ancient structures from the 7th or 8th century then maybe you might like it.
- Order the 'hangover cure' calzone pizza in the Blue Zone - it's the wine bar upstairs opposite the church on green street (next to Dick Macks), drink wine and sit at the bar, or eat icecream from Murphy's Ice cream next to Garveys which is literally award winning.
- Go have coffee, tea, cake, or lunch in Béile Le Chéile in Dick Mack's yard - my dad's partner owns it, wonderful cupcakes in particular, got written up in the Irish independent.
- Go to the Droichead Beag (it's yellow) at the bottom of Main Street to see some live music, almost every night. Sometimes it's jazz or whatever so check if you want DA FULL IRISH EXPERIENCE.
- Best fish and chips ever next to Garvey's supermarket - it's called the Reel Dingle Fish co. Portions are gigantic. Fish is divine. Brilliant chips.
- Go to Slea Head Drive in the car, it's beautiful. Try to see Clogher beach [in the pic], Couminnoule, the Blasket Islands, and Inch (though this is on your way to Dingle from Tralee/Killarney, and not on the Slea Head Drive)

My personal preferences follow:
DO NOT DRINK IN: The dingle pub (tourist trap), the hillgrove (awful awful nightclub)
DO DRINK IN: MacCarthys, The Droichead, Dick Macks (well those are my favourites)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

moflika posted:

I'm probably going to the UK soon. I heard they are pretty laid back with pay as you go SIM cards like in Italy and Germany
edit: I'm a 26 year old male that can take care of himself, but... is Paddington station, london safe at like 2-3 AM? :ohdear: hahaha

Probably yes, but what are you doing there? Sleeping?