Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Hello!

Got an 11 day trip to Greece coming up in the end of May and start of June. The trip will involve several days on the Greek island of Milos where my crazy British uncle lives. We will likely be holding some ridiculous birthday bash where we grill disgusting amounts of meat for only a handful of people. The rest of the time, however, is really up in the air. We will likely have a few days in Athens to see the really obvious tourist stuff such as the Acropolis. However after that what should be on the list? A few of us have been to Athens before and we basically walked around and wandered into a few Archaeology museums. Also the gyros and slovaki were terrible, it was like eating beef jerky due to overcooking, so any dining recommendations would be welcome.

Since Milos is in the Cyclades any travel suggestions for that area would be welcome. Has anyone been to Crete? Is Crete worth a stop? If so did you visit and how accessible is Knossos? Any other Islands that are a must see?

Finally the return trip features an overnight 16 hour layover in Frankfurt, Germany. So I suppose we will have to exit the airport and find something to do with ourselves for much of the evening. A previous friend suggested we just head downtown and walk around. Are there any must sees if we have that little time? Any dinning recommendations for dinner? Would we have to get a visa for such a short stay?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

tourgon posted:

What kind of food do you want to eat in Athens? I can tell you about awesome souvlaki joints but if you don't want to eat this type of food ever again I guess you could go to less known traditional restaurants (I wouldn't call them restaurants if I could think of another word because they're really informal, simple and plain-looking) that will be less tourist-y and way cheaper but you will probably have to go a bit out of your way. They're not precisely on the busy tourist streets but there are many in the centre of Athens... the centre is pretty big and I think a reasonable time-radius would be something like 45 minutes by bus, 30 minutes by car (I wouldn't suggest a car, you'll have trouble parking if you don't know the correct streets) so you would have to take a bus from, say, Acropolis to get to them.

This is a pretty awesome place: Ladokola (they bring the food in sheets of paper instead of plates) http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%CE%A...4,0.077162&z=14
site in greek http://www.ladokola.eu/ladokola/

I don't know, what kind of dining recommendations do you seek?

Thanks for the reply!

I actually normally really enjoy slovaki and gyros, which was why my experience with them in Athens was so disappointing. I would definitely be up for some great slovaki if you can list a few exceptional places.

In general I am looking for stuff within walking distance of Omonia, I am not sure how comfortable my travel companions will be about using public transit. That said on my previous trip my Uncle said there are some foods the Greeks do very well and some not so well. If you find this is true, what type of food would you suggest in sniffing out? I would am all for traditional food if it can be found in that area. I think last time one of the better meals I had was in what I assume was a local place near piraeus and it was fantastic.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

tourgon posted:

Good stuff

Tourgon you've been a great help! I'll likely hit that kebab place since I am pretty sure I know exactly where that is.

Lastly where are the places I should avoid in general, and how safe is it walking around after dark?

goethe42 posted:

Also great stuff

Thanks for the great suggestions. Any restaurant I should frequent to get the best of what Germany has to offer?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Hey Tourgon, Thanks for all the help with the Greece trip. By chance are you a native Greek speaker? I tried to PM you but you don't have them. Would you be willing to help me out in email with a small translation?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

If I am invited to dinner at a Dutch persons house what should I bring?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

If I am moving from one country in the EU to another, in this case England to The Netherlands, is there paperwork I am not familiar with that I would need to fill out before venturing forth?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Doctor Malaver posted:

Young Americans aren't distinguishable from Europeans, but when they get to 35+ you can sometimes tell them by the trainers + white socks pulled up neatly + short pants + belt bag + polo shirt + sunglasses combination. Also those horrible pants that are neither casual nor elegant, I don't know what they're even called.

Yoga pants? I am actually really curious what of pants you mean.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

So when I go to Europe and use my British passport it will get the entrance stamp. But when I return to the US I will arrive without an entrance stamp in my US passport. They are okay with that?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

That makes total sense. I just can't remember doing the exit stamp thing. I guess I haven't been paying enough attention until now.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Can you rent automatics in the UK, and how hard is it to adjust to left side driving?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

wwb posted:

The shopping around is where I'm running into trouble -- my inclination would be to just buy a european sim from a european mobile carrier but depending on who I talk to that is tough / illegal / impossible. So I had come around to finding one of the worldsim-type agents. Are there any that are particularly good or bad?

???

You can just show up, go to a local telecom and get a sim for cheap/free. Then just buy service at a telecom store as you need it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Amaterasu posted:

I would like to use my HTC One while in Austria and Germany. Would it be better to buy a local SIM card or just get Sprint to unlock it for international use?

If I use a local SIM card, I assume this assigns me a local phone number temporarily?

Does it use GSM? I know sprint is CDMA and everything over there is GSM

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I'm going to the Hague mainly for the Escher museum, which is about 0.5 miles from the train station :) Seeing the ICC would be cool too though. For my last trip I just got currency from the bank beforehand, though I don't think they carry Danish kroner :denmark:. So if I do go to Denmark than yeah I will try the ATM route. My credit card does have that chip on the front, but I get a 3% charge on all foreign transactions using that.

As an American with that chip on the front card its not all it has cracked up to be in Europe. There are practically no circumstances where having the chip on the card would be useful vs the magnetic strip. If it takes your chip card it will take your magnetic strip. While it is true that European bank cards come with and use the chip primarily, all of those cards are part of a PIN pass network. Just having the chip on your card doesn't grant your card access to the PIN pass network (as an American anyway). If you look at the back of your card it shows you what networks take your card. For example my chip card is PLUS, so I had to seek out atms with the PLUS network even though it had a chip.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding, I had my card rejected from an ATM in Barcelona and a train ticket machine in France. Both machines cited a lack of security features on the card, which I assumed meant the chip/pin system.

Ahhh. Its possible there are occasions and I definitely think you are better off for having one but it doesn't solve all of your credit card payment issues I guess is what I am trying to say. I have had many occasions where they wouldn't take my magnetic card, AND wouldn't take my chip card, despite taking European chip cards. Its better to have it though, yes.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

EricBauman posted:

They're still technically fine on most machines (jamming some cardboard into the slot is easier than disconnecting something inside), but store staff is going to yell at you to use it the other way and act like you're the stupidest person in the world.
Newer terminals don't have the magstripe part, though.

A lot of places/machines still take them. The more amusing thing is it still prints the signature paper but none of the newer staff knows what to do about it, or why it's even printing.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Looking to spend some time in Croatia and could use some advice for a trip. I have the better part of two weeks and I really don't know much about the country. Looking to bum around, see some old ruins, and maybe visit the beach and any cultural spots that I happen to walk by.

Would you recommend flying into Zagreb? How feasible is Zagreb -> Split -> Dubrovnik. Would I need to rent a car for this?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Kapsalon for every meal. I am not accepting notes

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Diplomats over heard complaints about McDonald's which is why you see the terrorism stuff

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Usually the international terminal is separate and allows international transfers without hitting passport controls for every country you would connect through. If you aren't leaving the international terminal security, you likely won't be hitting passport control. Consider that instead of flying into another Schengen country you flew through Paris to the middle east, you wouldn't get a stamp or do passport stuff in Paris. You'll be doing your passport stuff in Portugal.

Wait, you might be right here:

mmkay posted:

Wouldn't you be going out of the international flights zone and into the Within-schengen zone though? Seems like that's where the passport control would be (and Paris would be the passport control airport for the return trip too).

Disregard!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Yeah, knowing and paying for my ride in advance is the difference. We know the route and a drat close estimation of the time now, and so we know the rate

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Saladman posted:

Another Amsterdam thing I hate related to that topic: "trick pedestrian crossings" in Amsterdam, where it is painted like pedestrians have some sort of implied right of way, but actually cars do.

This is what I mean by a trick crossing: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.358...i8192?entry=ttu

Like why would you paint that on the ground, when that type of indicator is not used anywhere else in Europe, in a tourist-heavy area? I get what it means now ("don't stop your car here if there's traffic") and probably Dutch people grew up knowing what it means, but it also implicitly indicates that pedestrians can walk across the street at that location when traffic is stopped, but not when traffic is flowing. Which as far as I can remember, I have never seen anywhere else in Europe. So it's like an "OK to jaywalk here" sign, whatever use that is.

Amsterdam is probably the least pedestrian-friendly major city in Western Europe, due to the large variety of traffic, mixed with a constant stream of absolute rear end in a top hat bikers. Love the Hague, love Rotterdam, am really glad that I don't have to go back to Amsterdam so often anymore. I've never understood why tourists only ever go to Amsterdam, when the Hague is better in almost every way.

I actually like Amsterdam outside Prinsengracht and there are some neat museums in the city center, it's just that there is a striking lack of comfort there as a pedestrian. The handful of streets that don't allow bikes on them either have trams on them instead (e.g. Leidsestraat) or are 100% packed to the gills with tourists at all hours of the day, like the area just south of the main station that is populated by 19 year olds going to H&M, tacky museums, or overhyped shops with 45 minute cookie queues (yeah Van Stapele is good, but god drat, those lines).

Presumably Amsterdamers never go to the center within the Singel canal. I know my friends living there never do, anyway, except to go to or from the station.

When I lived in the Netherlands I also much preferred the Hague or Utricht as well!

What's the deal with ATMs offering some ridiculous conversion rate when I want to withdraw cash as an American? Is it offering a conversation rate that could possibly be better then my home bank, if my home bank actively hated me as a customer?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

On the long ride home from Croatia to LA, flew into Frankfurt tonight. We were well into final approach, landing gear out all that business. They abort the landing and have to hang out in a holding pattern. Someone was flying a drone over the airport space. They close the airport and thirty flights are cancelled. My connection completely missed, and my hotel booking for a layover rendered worthless. They fly over to another airport to refuel and eventually come back. We land 4 hours late. We will not be rebooked at the airport, just have to wait for an email sometime tomorrow. Vouchers for hotels and taxis in 3 hour lines. Absolutely free-for-all to land a ride. I'm in a hotel bed without my luggage now at 2 am. Started at 6 pm for a 1.5 hour flight to Frankfurt. Wife developed a stomach bug on the plane. About as good as it gets travel wise

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

If you don't have huge expectations for Paris I'd probably go that route. I think a lot of people build it up to be something and it turns out it's another European capital city.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Saladman posted:

This might be becoming less true though now that the US has become insanely expensive. I was in Miami Beach last Christmas and we went to a random pizzeria and it was almost $100 for the two of us, after including tip & tax and like, a single beer each. We cooked in our rental apartment the next night.

Y'all got ripped the gently caress off in Miami drat. A very fancy pizza here is $30s, and if I get rolled for the beers at $12 a piece we're only half way to a hundred.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I enjoyed my time on Milos, which is at the end of the Cyclades. It's a mining island and not so tourist heavy/dependent, but it's sort of out of the way.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I was recommended this place in Athens by a local and really enjoyed it:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/xuvkkFLZtgeV31y76

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Plitvice Lakes are a nice walk on a boardwalk through a very beautiful setting. It's absolutely packed with tour groups and it's sort of making your way through tour groups between the lakes on a boardwalk. It wasn't what I expected from a national park experience. I felt like I didn't have the room to sit with it and enjoy it, or the space to explore it. I probably wouldn't do it on a repeat trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I'd you like cats there is a museum dedicated to cats in art. Plus they might have some gallery kitties you can pet.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/uE7wzfYmcFFZmVC16